Re: stars staff litter 4 - #008 open

Postby zutopia » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:45 am

Username: zutopia
    Cat Name: foxfeather
    Clan: crescentclan
    Prompt: “oh the owl? you wont believe this…”
    that’s what fox said when his clan questioned the avian sitting atop his back, and they truly didn’t believe it.

it was the first day of new-leaf when foxfeather was getting ready to go on a hunt organised by one of his peers, naturally he split from the group soon after they had left camp, expecting nobody to notice (spoiler, they definitely noticed.) all was well, until unsuspectingly he located a sneaky rodent scurrying across the forest floor. fox didn’t wait to chase after the pest, claws out and eyes darting left and right. it took some time…an unusually long amount of time, before the rat allowed itself to be caught.
    this is not where the story ends, unfortunately (for foxfeather, at least.)

with the blink of an eye, his catch was scooped up, and by who? that damned owl! “hey!” fox hissed, “you come right back down with that— hey, hey, no! don’t eat it!” but the bird didn’t listen, and instead squawked, or rather gave a mocking hoot at the cat. “you little!” foxfeather huffed, stomping his paw aggressively. “fine, whatever! have it, see if i care!” the tom found himself quickly walking away to avoid wasting anymore time, but who followed? the owl.

the pair went back and forth, from catching prey and having it stolen, to being followed everywhere. until eventually, when it was time to return, and the owl has nestled comfortably on top of foxfeathers back, he has to embarrassingly explain just what had happened.

to this day, the owl hasn’t left, but surprisingly they’ve learnt to appreciate each others company.
zutopia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby recherché. » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:25 pm

Username: recherché.
      Cat Name: acorntuft
      Clan: sunshine bay
      Prompt:

found as a babie in the snow.. wip
x

leah - college student - adult
ven nilla bats racc star
"like the ocean finds the shore,

xxxxxi'll always find you"
recherché.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kazin » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:44 am

Username: Kazin
    Cat Name: Owlscreech
    Clan: TreeClan
    Prompt:

"Fate is a weird thing," Owlscreech would always tell the other cats. Many cats would glance at the companion that usually wasn't far from Owlscreech, the owl affectionately referred to as Feather, without realizing that there was more to the story than Owlscreech simply meeting the bird by chance. Absently, Owlscreech often reflects on that day, remembering how it happened at all.

It was mid-day, unusually warm for Leafbare. The trees were laden with snow, though it was dripping off the branches under the strange warmth of the day. Owlscreech, a young apprentice-aged cat then named Screech, was goofing off in the forest with a few of his friends, enjoying their day off from training, exploring the snow and the forest in the warmth.

"It's been so long since we could go outside and not freeze our paws off!" One of the other cats exclaimed, letting out a laugh in delight as a chunk of snow fell off a branch and hit his back. "Even the snow doesn't really feel cold!"

"Except your pelt's all wet now," Screech responded, half-amused. His friend shrugged, swiping a pawful of snow at Screech. "Hey!" The tom laughed, chasing the other cat a few lengths into the forest, snow flying from behind them as they ran.

The third cat rolled their eyes, staying silent for a moment as they paused, looking up into the trees. "Hey, I have an idea!" They called out, causing Screech and the other cat to pause what they were doing, trotting back towards them. They pointed with their nose up towards the trees, where a small opening was. "Why don't we see who can steal the egg from the nest?"

"What!" Screech was the first to call out, shock hitting him. "No way! We have no idea what bird's egg that is! Haven't you heard the elders talk about eagles stealing cats like us?"

"What are you, scared?" His friend beside him taunted, a mischevious glint in his eyes. "Bet you can't get it and that's why you won't."

Screech fluffed up his pelt, frowning. He couldn't back down from a challenge.

Without another word, Screech scaled the tree in a few impressive leaps, leaving his friends on the ground barely comprehending what had happened or understanding where Screech went. In another heartbeat, Screech's paw hooked the egg, sending it careening into a soft patch of snow. Breathlessly, Screech made his way down, peering down at the egg before a wave of guilt shot over him.

"I shouldn't have done that," he stated awkwardly, gripping the egg in his warm mouth before running off in the direction of camp. His friends were left wondering what had even happened, racing behind him after a few moments.

For the next half moon, Screech barely left his nest, sitting on the egg to keep it warm like he was its mother. He felt attached to the egg, ridden with guilt. He felt like he had to keep it safe, no matter what. It was a calling he didn't understand, but one he knew to be true.

When the egg hatched, the owl was his. He named it Feather, and the pair become inseparable - the bond even went so far that when Screech had left his band of rogues, and found a clan, he requested his name to reflect his best friend; Owlscreech. Feather doesn't know any different, always feeling attached to Owlscreech, even helping him hunt. A strange relationship to some, but a fated encounter for Owlscreech and Feather.
Kazin
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CupidCola » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:30 am

Username:CupidCola
Cat Name: OwlFeather
Clan: CloverClan
Prompt: Mark
Art in pfp by cakebot on th
Cupid/She-Her/Lesbian Lf: Custom Anthro Character
click images for credits

CupidCola

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby almondkitty » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:22 am

Username: almondkitty
Cat Name: owlheart (lyli) & solace
Clan: rosemary meadows
Prompt: solace is hard fought and seldom won in the harsh winters that hound the mountain peaks surrounding Rosemary Meadows. a small, fluffy auburn shape can be seen moving through the mounds of snow in search of such solace on one particularly harsh winters night, her paws heavy with matted snow. exhaustion makes the dangerous trek even more likely to end in tragedy as no matter where she looks, all she can see is the thick curtains of white snow falling endlessly around her. even her desperate mewls are being mercilessly drowned out by the muffling silence of impenetrable white. though hope should not be lost for this small kit, whose journey has only just begun. how she got here is a shorter story, and sadder, for another day. today, though, a glimmer of optimism is shining through as our young kit collapses into the backdrop of white, fatigue overcoming her. how could this be optimistic? just as the snow began to bury her beautiful fur, a great big owl swooped down out of the sky and plucked her from her misery.

when she awoke again, warmth and the smell of hay surrounded her. blinking the sleep from her eyes, it didn't take long for her to discover she was in a great big nest, inside of a barn, enveloped on both sides by tiny owlets. they were only old enough to have developed the first of their colorful feathers, which she noted were nearly identical to her own cinnamon coat. it seemed the owl that descended upon her had mistaken her for a lost owlet and taken her back to its nest. relieved that she had not in fact gotten to meet her ancestors so early in her life, the little kitten quickly nuzzled back into a comfortable position and drifted to sleep once more.

many moons had passed since she was welcomed into the little owl family and since then she had learned many things. owls, it turned out, had a very similar language to cats, and it hadn't taken her very long to learn it. her mother, as she referred to the owl who had scooped her from the snow, was called Mahalia. her owl siblings were Nyto, Fie, Iry and Solace. although Fie, Iry and Nyto had left the nest relatively early after she had been taken in, Solace was much smaller and needed extra care, so she had stayed behind. she was still too small to fly and until she could, would stay in the nest with Mahalia. our protagonist, who had not been named before she was thrown into the snowy tundra, was called Lyli. Lyli and Solace got along fantastically, the two of them being clear outliers compared to the other owlets. Lyli spent most of her time in the barn with Solace, who seemed to be the only one able to tell that she was not an owl.

one morning, as Lyli woke to the sun tickling her whiskers, she noticed that Solace was not next to her like she usually was in the mornings. at first, panic swallowed her whole. what could have happened to her partner in crime? she needn't spend long in the panic spiral as Solace quickly descended from the rafters and tackled her sister.
"I can fly! Look, Lyli! I'm flying!"

she flapped up into the air once more and swooped down upon Lyli again, playfully pecking at her ears.

"You're really flying! Hey, quit it!"

Lyli swatted at Solace with a soft paw and the two of them descended into giggles.

it was not long after that morning that Lyli and Solace departed from the nest, leaving Mahalia with love and appreciation. Lyli promised she would visit again if she ever found her way back. upon their departure, the two sisters quickly arrived at the same conclusion: they must find more of Lyli's kind, so she can know where she came from. so searching they went, now older and more prepared for the icy tundra that awaited them. they had managed to find a relatively easy way down the mountainside, marveling at the greenery that greeted them the further they went down. lush green meadows waved soft tendrils of grass in the breeze, the scent of a hundred different flowers carried on the gentle winds as they arrived at the bottom of the mountain. the further they went, the more they saw. oak trees, by the hundreds, willow trees, birch, etc., all sorts of plant life they had never seen. thankfully Solace was there to stop Lyli from chomping on any of it.

the first cat they saw was actually Leopold, taking a stroll to see the area where he and Giorgio had first met. when he came across the unusual pair, he immediately welcomed them to the territory of Rosemary Meadows and lead them toward the camp where the rest of the clan was doing their regular duties or just mulling about in the afternoon sun. introductions were made and the sisters found themselves a little overwhelmed, until Scrunch was introduced to them. her strict, no-nonsense demeanor made them feel a bit more at ease and they easily settled in after that.

that was many moons ago. Lyli has since changed her name to one befitting a warrior, Owlheart. though she still goes by Lyli to Solace, who has known her by that name her entire life. yes, the two are quite at home in Rosemary Meadows, and have even visited Mahalia since their arrival. Cedargaze took them back up the mountainside, his big paws easily trampling through the snowy peaks, and he became their guide each time they visited their mother.

you see, even when all seems lost, you never know what might be awaiting you around the corner. the little kitten lost in the snow had no hope of living another day, yet life had other plans for her. never give up, for even in the face of unbeatable odds there is hope.
almondkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ethium » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:15 pm

the competition has been extended to December 23rd at 11:59 pm MST by request <33
ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hazelfang » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:22 am

Username: Hazelfang
Cat Name: Chaffinchflutter
Clan: Kin of the Vixen
Prompt:

Late in the night, when the moon is at its highest wing and even the birds no longer sing, a lost soul will come seeking. Choose to aid them and you shall see, it is you who needed to be set free.

Stirred from a deep slumber, the orange she-cat found herself sitting upright in her nest, restless and distressed. This was not abnormal for her. It would be far more concerning if she didn't wake up in the middle of the night. She had ways to cope, however, and she didn't hesitate to quietly walk out of the den. With silent, careful steps, she managed to creep away without awaking her fellow Servus. This was her problem to tackle, it would deeply upset her if she disturbed her Kin over some bad dreams. I wish I could figure out why I am having these dreams. I shouldn't be having prophecies, that's the Sybil Superior's job, she thought to herself in dismay. Each night, she would be disrupted by what she assumed were the Spirits trying to tell her something. When she first received these dreams, she thought it was because she ate too much prey before it was time for rest. However, as the dreams became more fervent and the Spirits seemed more desperate, she started to believe that it truly was a prophecy. And yet, how could a normal Servus receive a prophecy? Everycat knew that it was the Sybil Superior who received prophetic visions in their sleep and the Servus would simply help them interpret them.

The she-cat let out a soft, defeated sigh. She did try once to tell one of the other Servus, for advice as to what she should do. The Servus told her that it was blasphemous for her to assume that she would be worthy of receiving the honored messages. If anything, the Servus declared, it would be an omen as it could only be a curse for a Servus to speak with a Spirit. That conversation went way worse than Chaffinchflutter ever thought it could go, so she decided she couldn't tell the Sybil Superior. What if they reacted even worse? There was no way she would lose her position and Kin over some annoying dreams. While lost in her thoughts, she found herself traveling well beyond the camp walls. None of the Guardians on post even looked at her, she had already given them the excuse "just Servus things!" countless of times and they didn't bother to ask any longer. Yet another sigh escaped her, it seemed she sighed more than she talked lately. It was getting difficult staying awake during the day while being haunted with these dreams.

The night was silent, almost eerily so, and the clouds were greedily veiling what little light the moon could emit. Every so often, a fragment of light would seep through the clouds, only to be engrossed once more by their voracious appetite. Luckily, the she-cat's eyes had already adjusted to the low light and she could at least see where her paws were being set. That was enough for her.

After what felt like an eternity of walking, Chaffinchflutter arrived to the one place she could find true peace. Hidden beyond the camp, even farther than the sacred waterfall, was a large, old cedar tree. This tree became one of her only sources of comfort. Under the cedar's protective branches and watchful leaves, she felt truly at peace. It was as if the Spirits could not reach her here. Or so she thought.

"Late in the night...", her ears perked immediately. Those words, those terrible familiar words. "Late in the night, when the moon is at its highest wing...". She swung her head side to side, as if trying to get the voice to leave her mind. Why must it find her even here? Can't the Spirits leave her alone for even a moment? "...and even the birds no longer sing."

Chaffinchflutter jumped up, her fur bristling, "Please, just leave me alone! Go bother the Sybil!" Her voice rang through the night, reverberating against the trees. She couldn't believe that the one place she found more sacred than any other could be ruined by such a torturous voice.

The voice continued, "...a lost soul will come seeking."

"I said: that is enough!" she let out an enraged hiss and swatted at the air hopelessly. She knew it was pointless, that her paws would not reach anything, but she had to try. There was only so much the she-cat could take and this was her limit. As she swung her paws around wildly, her claws snagged against the cedar tree, leaving three thin diagonal lines within the bark. Blood seeped from a ripped claw, snapping her out of her mania. "Oh no!" she let out a gasp upon realizing she hurt the very cedar that offered her protection all this time.

As she gasped, the branches above the tree fluttered. Her ears folded back fearfully, surely she didn't upset the tree? Nonsense! A tree couldn't get upset, it is just a tree. Unless.. A shriek interrupted her thoughts followed by the sound of panicked fluttering wings. The torbie looked up, startled, when a soft small body landed on her head. Stunned by the impact, she took a step back and rubbed her head with her paw, "What the...?"

When she regained her composure, she opened her eyes to see the small body of a young owl laying in front of her. Its left wing splayed awkwardly at its side while its other wing flapped desperately in an attempt to get away. The little owl, noticing the cat, grew more frenzied and moved wildly. Its tiny heart audibly pounding out of its chest.

"Choose to aid them and you shall see...", the voice spoke gently as the she-cat began to approach the frightened bird.

"It's okay, little one, I won't hurt you. I am so sorry for startling you," her words, intended to calm the little owl, only terrified it more. The she-cat gentle swished her tail over the body, pulling it closer against her. "Please, let me help you. I only want to help." Her voice was soft as a mother's belly fur and as silky as honey, slightly managing to put the owl to ease. The she-cat slowly sat the owl up, being extra careful when handling its splayed wing. "There, I will try and set your wing with some sticks, just give me a moment."

She looked up the tree, searching for a branch that may be small enough to work. With a heave, she sunk her claws into the cedar and lifted herself up onto the nearest branch. Using her teeth and a little bit of force, she managed to splinter a light branch of which she brought down from the tree. "This will do," she murmured with a mouthful of sticks. With the gentleness of a mother grooming her first born, Chaffinchflutter began placing the small sticks along the owl's injured wing. Using some cobwebs nearby and some of the sap from poulticed cedar leaves, she was able to bandage the owl's wing. "This is as good as I can do for now. But don't worry, I will bring you to camp and get you properly fixed." She softly nuzzled the side of the owl's head, it let out a hesitant yet pleased coo in response, "I promise to take care of you."

As she delicately lifted the little body and placed it along her back, the mysterious voice spoke quietly one final time, "...it is you who needed to be set free."

1,233 words
Hazelfang

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby faelyn » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:27 pm

username: faelyn
    cat Name: hugo (and giovanni [the owl] )
    clan: faerie
    prompt: <3
faelyn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baobabel » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:28 pm

Username: Baobabel
Cat Name: Silentstep
Clan: SecludedGlade
Prompt:
Silentstep was hunting in the dry creek bed. It had been too many moons since a decent rain had fallen. There were clouds in the sky but with how cracked and dry the ground was, he didn’t think anything of it. Unfortunately for him, his lack of experience was about to cause him to be in grave danger. This particular creek was known to be hazardous and a high risk for flash floods. And with the drought followed by the heavy rain that was about to hit…it was perfect conditions for a flash flood.
Whisperwings knew he shouldn’t be out. Despite the clouds, it was midday and not the owls’ preferred time to hunt. Plus, he had only recently started flying and if he had problems, his parents weren't awake to help him. “I’ll just do one more flight through the creek canyon and then go back to the nest tree to rest before I get rained on” he thought.

Unfortunately, he didn’t time it well enough to avoid the rain. As Whisper whipped through the steep banked water way, he peeked back the way he came and saw the water starting to quickly rise and recognized the signs his parents had taught him. He picked up the pace, but his wings weren’t used to the level of activity. His tired wings were quickly forgotten as he saw a feline trotting along the creek bed. What was that cat doing? Didn’t it know how much danger it was in? Whisper started to fly past, after all, if the cat fell victim to the wave, that would be one less predator competing for prey. And one less predator that might be able to catch an owl. But as he passed and saw how young the cat looked, well, Whisper’s parents did always say he had too much empathy for the other critters in the forest.
He started yelling at the cat to run. To quickly climb out of the creek bed!

Silent was surprised out of his concentration by a screeching owl. His initial reaction was to duck and hide until he realized the owl was yelling instructions at him. That was about the time he heard and smelled the quickly approaching water from behind. That's when Silent realized how much trouble he was in. At his current location, the bank was too steep to climb. He started sprinting along but quickly came to a Y.
The owl saw the cat's predicament before he did. From his vantage point he could see exposed roots on the left track. He quickly yelled “LEFT!LEFT!LEFT”
The young cat heard the call and skidded towards the left opening. Up ahead he could see the tree roots and his way out. As he started climbing, he could feel the earth tremble and moisture fill the air. He wasn’t moving fast enough to make it to the top in time. All of a sudden, he felt claws latch onto his ruff and heave upwards as he continued to jump and scramble up, the water quickly rising up as they went. The owl and the cat barely made it to the top as the water crashed over the edge.

Silent felt a flicker of relief as he reached the top at the same time the wave hit. He dug his nails into the roots and held on as the water rushed over him. He felt the owl let go and assumed he must've flown to safety now that Silent was above the water. But as he lifted his head and followed the wave of water with his eyes, he saw something fuzzy and brown being swept away.

Stupid! Stupid to help a cat! To grab and heave and use the last of his strength to pull that mangy creature up. Whisper thought they were in the clear but then the wave hit and his already damp feathers became waterlogged and the wave swept him away. He tried his best to escape but his wings were too heavy and it was all he could do to keep his head afloat as the torrent twisted him around.
Silent’s paws were moving before he fully realized what had happened. He wasn’t sure what he could do but he knew he couldn't abandon this creature that not only tried to warn but also saved him. In fact, it could have just flown to a tree and wouldn’t’ve even been near the water if it hadn’t been for him! He dug in and ran faster, trying to catch up to the bird being whipped away. There! There was a branch sticking out over the water. He could try to snatch the bird as it passed underneath. With renewed motivation, running faster than ever before, Silent outpaced the current and sprinted onto the branch. He had to swallow back the terror of being only inches away from the raging water. He was only going to have one shot at this. He dug his back nails in as far into the wood as possible and braced his body as he began to reach.

Whisper knew he was reaching the end of his strength. He was still a young bird after all and had already pushed his muscles to the limit by flying. Then pushed them even more trying to lift that cat. He knew it wouldn't be long now before he sunk again and was unable to resurface. At least he saved the cat before collapsing. Just as he had the thought, he felt sharp claws pierce his skin. He was slowly being lifted up and against the current. “Come on you big bird! Flap! Fight!” he heard over the water. He then felt sharp teeth grab a wing and finally saw the cat helping him! He began to flap his own wing and scramble onto the branch. There was a brief panic filled moment when the cat began to slip but they both gave one final effort and the owl flopped onto the wood. They both sat there heaving for a while before realizing the water was still slowly rising and they needed higher ground. Leaning on each other for support, they hobbled their way, following the slope up until they reached a safe destination. Neither spoke. Both young hunters just passed out the moment they realized they were safe. They’d worry about introductions when they woke.
Baobabel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: stars staff litter 4 - #008 closed

Postby ethium » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:00 pm

you all made this such a challenging choice!! thank you all so much for entering my staff adopt <33

and without further ado -- the winner of this cat is feverrr !! I loved the relationship you developed between eolwyn and twig! and how they have an unconventional relationship but it works for them <33 Your accompanying artwork is also so adorable!! I can't wait to see more of them around.

i would also like to award an RU to faelyn !! giovanni and hugo's relationship.. wow I'm so intrigued. your writing is gorgeous as always and I loved your accompanying comic piece ^^ I will get to your RU asap!! <33
FEEL THE FEAR, AND DO IT ANYWAY
sam - she/her - i write things sometimes
i'm into mythology, literature, & legos ──
───── stars - carrd - th - disc -> ethiium
ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me