Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Re: Stars V.2 • Quest Board

Postby nindroidzane » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:55 am

Username: nindroidzane
Clan: FrostClan & FluxClan

Quest Number: 1
Response: The freezing water of the lake lapped gently over Flint's paws. But they didn't really mind the cold. It was a pleasant shock to their numbed system, and anything that made them feel anything but the drowning numbness was a welcome change.

They dug their claws into the snow. But the cold, too, eventually numbed their paws, until they could no longer feel the gentle lap of the waves or the soft crunch of the snow. Typical.

Light pawsteps sounded over the wind, and they peered over their shoulder to see Icewing trotting towards them. She dipped her head, settling down beside them in the snow.

"Hello, Flint." She looked at them briefly, before turning to gaze down at the smooth water.

Flint shuffled uncomfortably. They didn't usually talk to their Clanmates, outside of hunting and patrols. Bad things would happen if they did, and none of them deserved that.

And… on a different note, Icewing had always seemed like a bit of a snob. Maybe a bit more… subdued since her sister had fled, but she still complained of the cold, of patrols, of waking up at dawn. They weren't even sure why she was here; by the lake's edge now or even in the Clan.

But she didn't say anything more, seemingly waiting for them to speak. They wondered how long she'd wait before simply leaving. They'd been… not exactly enjoying the time alone, but they'd been…

Flint flattened their ears. They were never content. But it hadn't been agonizingly terrible, so maybe that was their equivalent.

"Do you ever miss your sister?"

Flint flinched hard, turning to see that Icewing was now looking at them. Her tail was wrapped neatly around her paws, and her eyes were like soft, melted ice. Looking at them. Waiting for them to answer that.

"I…" Flint didn't even know what to say. They didn't even know that she'd known.

"I heard you mention it to Frecklepaw." She murmured, voice as soft as the lapping waves. "It was nice of you to help him out like that."

Right. Frecklepaw. Flint felt terrible for him, losing his family at such a young age. But at the same time… watching him play and laugh and live his life… Flint couldn't help but feel a bit jealous.

"I miss my sister, too." Icewing carried on, voice even softer now, her ears drooping slightly. Flint hadn't noticed the dishevelled state of her fur or the rigid slouch in her posture. Actually, they thought she'd been sitting in that usual pristine way she usually did. But maybe it had been a while since she'd really looked like that.

"I know she's not dead…" Icewing paused, wrapping her tail tighter around herself. "Well, I suppose she could be… but even knowing that she's gone, and I might just never see her again, alive or otherwise…"

Flint frowned slighty. Was she coming to them for… advice? Comfort? Their fur ruffled uncomfortably. They couldn't even comfort themself. They just wanted to forget.

"And I started thinking…" Icewing had turned back to the water, eyes trained on it intensely. "I started thinking that this must be how you feel."

Flint startled. But Icewing carried on.

"Ever since you showed up here, all you do is mope silently around the camp. You don't talk to anyone." She shuffled a paw through the snow, composure waning. "I… I used to think you were just weird. 'Who would talk to them, anyway?' and all… you… you know how I used to be."

Flint thought 'used to be' was up for debate, but they kept their mouth shut. They supposed they didn't know much about any of their Clanmates, really.

"But it's always been about your sister. And… and whoever else it was that you've lost." She looked away sheepishly, ears flat. "I didn't eavesdrop for long, I promise."

Now Flint really didn't know what to say. This was several times weirder than Icewing just showing up to vent about her sister and leave. This was… this was too much like before, and they didn't want to remember that right now.

But Icewing didn't leave. She turned to them again, face painted with concern. "You can't just live like this, Flint. I know we're not really friends, and that… maybe you just don't like other cats. I understand." She glanced back at the camp before turning to them again. "I'm not asking you to tell me everything. I just… you need at least one cat. You need some support."

Flint stared at her in disbelief. Support? Icewing? Maybe she had changed. Or maybe they'd just been reading her wrong this whole time. It was… probably at least partially the second, given… everything.

But still. That didn't mean they wanted support.

"I'm… fine, Icewing. Thank you." Their own words felt strange in their mouth. Icewing looked very deflated.

"It doesn't have to be me." They could hardly hear her over the sharp breeze. "Our Clan is full of cats that I'm sure would love to be your friend."

Yeah, full of cats who'd love to die. Sure.

"Just… consider it." To their surprise, she finally stood up to leave, glancing at them as she started padding softly away.

To their further surprise, something inside them screamed at them not to let her go.

"...Wait."

Icewing's ears pricked. She turned back to look at them.

"...You can stay." They looked away slightly, fur heating up with embarrassment. "I just... don't really want to talk right now."

Or ever, but they'd deal with that another time.

Icewing smiled, coming back to sit next to them again. "I'm fine with no talking."

She leaned down to lick at her pelt a couple times. "I… just needed to get all of that out. Sorry."

Flint blinked. "It's alright."

Actually, they were still trying to process what was even happening right now. But, they supposed, at least, that they could now do it in the presence of Icewing, rather than alone with their paws numbed by ice and snow.

An ever-present weight lifted, ever so slightly, off their chest.

Maybe, with another cat by their side… they could stop trying to forget.

Word Count: 1,031

Quest Number: 3
Response: Nightfall dug her claws into the soft ground padding the camp. There were many stupid decisions Fawnstar had made over the moons, but this was just getting ridiculous.

A kittypet? Being let into their Clan, just like that? Nightfall wasn't sure why she was even surprised. This was the same leader who'd let some… some squirrel boy be deputy over her.

And it just so happened that this kittypet was his little sweetheart. Surprise, surprise.

Of course, she wasn't stupid. There was value in new kits, and this kittypet with her stupid jingling collar was already expecting them. That was probably most of the reason Fawnstar had let her in so easily, despite her showing about zero warrior skills. With the other reason being, y'know, deputy's girlfriend.

But Fawnstar barely had half a brain if she even wanted kittypet kits. Did she not remember the stories? Half-blood cats who couldn't morph at all? What use would these kits be if they couldn't do the one thing their entire Clan was supposed to be able to do?

Not to mention the kittypet herself. What was she going to do when the kits were born and weaned? Become an actual warrior? Not likely. She couldn't morph, either. Leave? She seriously doubted that, though it would be better for everyone if she did. Especially if her kits turned out miraculously normal.

"Cinnamonheart! Cinnamonheart!"

Nightfall was jolted out of her sulking, claws caked in dirt, by the chanting of her Clan.

Well, most of them. She was pleased to see that a few other cats looked as disgruntled about this as she did, and they made it known with their stiff posture and stony silence. Fawnstar seemed to just ignore them, because of course she did, but 'Cinnamonheart' was glancing around nervously, paying particular attention to the silent cats. Her eyes landed on Nightfall.

Nightfall channeled her anger into her eyes, glaring deeply. She wanted it to be known that didn't deserve to be here. She wasn't one of them.

The kittypet flinched and looked away, turning back to the blindlessly cheering cats.

Nightfall's fur prickled, anger seeping into her pelt. Somebody had to do something about this.

She had to do something about this.

Word Count: 371
nindroidzane

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Centipedes » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:23 am

Username: Chimingcloud
Clan:chamomile court

Response:
"When i was just a small kitten still in the nursery, Our leader at the time, Dovewing, Broke the warrior code in a very drastic way. She had spent so many moons prior recruiting kittypets and loners, convincing them to leave everything they knew behind for the warrior code yet she herself couldn't even follow it's virtues. This caused a revolt one night when she announced she would be leaving the clan to indulge in this act of love with a medicine cat, which fully went against everything we believed in. Vixenbounce Led this revolt and drove out Dovewing and her most loyal warriors, I wasn't old enough to participate but with all the noise I couldn't help but be a little curious and peeked my head out of the burrows. I saw Quartzbelly, My current mentor, Pinning my mother in a corner. The fear in her eyes, She was so terrified, I've never seen a cat look so helpless. He looked back at me and acknowledged my presence and hissed at me to leave, I didn't know any better so I hid back into the depth of the burrows. I could still hear Creamflower's cries from down, She told me she loved me and everything would be okay. I shook and held my eyes as tight as I could trying to drown out the screeches and hisses from above.

This was the last time I saw my mother. I know I was just a kitten but I wish i stayed out there, Maybe I could've pleaded with quartzbelly. I know my mom didn't want to leave the court but that Quartzbelly forced her out because If he didn't she would've become the next medicine cat in the court.

Now that I'm Quartzbelly's apprentice and next in line for the medicine cat apprentice, I wish I could look at him in a different light without this stench of a memory on his coat. I wish I could respect the words that came out of his mouth. Maybe the pressure of this training would be a little easier to handle."
Word Count: 349 words
┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐
Chime ♡ He/him
♡ owner of heartcatch
└── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┘
Centipedes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wildsight » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:13 am

Username: wildsight
      Clan: kingdom of khafra

Response:

At this hour, it was perhaps a terrible time to be out among the barren landscape, exposed to the elements. The wind howled through the night, tossing about sand and other small bits of debris, sending the last creatures among the terrain fleeing into their homes. But alas, a lone figure could still be seen, desperately trying to make their way through the treacherous storm.
      XXXXThe pointed torbie's gaze was narrowed to slits, blue optics hardly visible as the feline tried to navigate the realm before her. Ears were held tightly against her skull, whiskers entangling themselves among one another and her tail lashed about wildly behind her. Each step felt like she was attempting to push a massive stone, as the furious winds fought against her very being. Still, this determined molly trekked onward - for what seemed like forever - until, alas, she caught sight - just a flicker - of a nearby cave. Using the last of her strength, she hurried towards it, though ultimately collapsed at the entrance. Even so, despite her exhausted limbs, she pulled herself into it, slipping out of the storm's grasp.
      XXXX"Those wretched felines. Driving me away from all that mattered, all that I wanted, all that I..."** The molly suddenly dissolved into a coughing fit. Her breaths came about in wheezes and she was more or less unable to rise due to this, among other things. When it finally passed, she groaned, laying her head upon the cool, stone floor. And before she knew it, she'd fallen into another realm.

She was now standing upon the edge of a cliff. Upon the edge of a massive rock formation, that stood high above the golden sea she knew and loved. But there was something oddly familiar about this stone...something eerily familiar about this spot in particular. What is this place? She wondered silently, casting her gaze about slowly. Suddenly, her ears twitched at the sound of scraping...claws scraping against stone, she realized. When she gazed down at her own paws, she found that it wasn't her. When she glanced around, she found nothing either. Alas, the torbie point looked over the ledge and...she realized it was coming from there. Way, way, way down there.
      XXXXAt first, the molly was confused. She had always known her hearing had been good, but she obviously couldn't pick out something from that far down, could she? Blue optics narrowed as she tried to pick out the culprit...it must be the talon's of a bird or a lizard. It couldn't be anything else, could it? But then, she caught sight of something...of a creature, slowly making its way up the side of the cliff. And beforelong, another one appeared trailing behind it. She watched them intently as they approached her, growing more clear as they came into view...more familiar. It wasn't until the two had made it halfway up, that her heart stopped.

"No. No, no, no, no, no. NO!" The former hunter whipped around from the ledge, eyes wide and fearful. That couldn't have been what she saw...it couldn't have been! She stood there for a long moment, before daring to turn around and peak over - and it was. She let out a horrified cry, before hurrying away again, paws scrambling upon the stone as she ran toward the path that led downwards, that led to the sands below and to escape. The only problem was, once she arrived the path was...gone.

And then, a voice called out to her.

"Is that you, Breezefrost? Have you come to look for us after all this time?" The question sent chills down her spine, but what made it especially horrid was the voice. The voice. She stood there for a long moment, gazing down into the depths below.
      XXXX"What...what do you mean...? I...I don't know what you're talking about...or who you are."
      XXXX"Oh, surely you do. If you've forgotten, just turn around and see us. You'll remember us then."

"No, I won't. I don't know you. Either of you." The molly's heart was racing, but she refused to turn around. Even in the most dreadful of situations, her stubbornness still remained.
      XXXX"Are we not worthy to be talked to face to face? Why do you despise us so much? Turn around and face us, prove that you don't know us." This voice was different from the first, but still familiar at the same time. Too familiar.
      XXXX"Why should I? I have no need to, you cannot force me to. Respect is earned, not given. So do not bother me further and spare me of your presence. Leave me be."

"We left you ages ago. Or rather, you left us." The second voice hissed, now annoyed. "And now, you're guilty of what you've done, yet won't admit it to anyone - not even yourself! And now, here we stand before - er, behind you and you can't even stand to face us because of your guilt! The moment you saw us coming you turned away, for that's all you've done when it came to us...you turned away."
      XXXX"Enough! I said leave me be! I am not guilty and I did not turn away from you! You - both of you - left me! I did all that I could, you brought this all upon yourselves." Breezefrost retorted, though weaker than she would've liked.
      XXXX"Oh really? Prove it! Say it to our faces! Say it like you did before! Or are you too guilty to do so?" The first taunted harshly.

"Why you little-" Breezefrost could stand it no longer. She whipped about, fangs bared and claws outstretched, snarling. "I. Am. Not. Guilty." She growled, approaching the two felines she so hated. Her adoptive offspring. She vaguely noticed that the two looked different now - ragged pelts and bloodshot eyes, they looked nothing like she remembered. But she disregarded this in an instant, lunging toward them, which caused the two to scatter. "What's wrong, my children? Are you afraid of your mother? You called, so I came."
      XXXX"You're not our mother!" Cried the young molly who she despised more than the tom. "Our mother - our real mother - died for us! You, instead, did the exact opposite! Only we died for no one!"
      XXXX"You're not dead!" she yelled at the molly, whacking a paw across her head. "Stop saying that!"

"She only said it once!" Her brother chimed in, only to receive the same blow to the head. The two siblings then hurried off, yowling as they bounded away from Breezefrost. The pointed torbie gave chase within moments.
      Around and around they went, circling the top of the massive stone formation under the glow of the watchful moon, their cries echoing about in the night. Occasionally, one of the siblings would slip here and there, causing loose stones to crumble under the weight and fall, but the former hunter hardly seemed to notice, seemingly crazed beyond her wits.
      XXXXAnd then, the young molly's brother fell. As he attempted to scramble back up, he found that he couldn't, leaving his sister to try and pull him up. It was then that Breezefrost cornered the two felines, a fire resting among her gaze. "Look what we have here. Two little kits in quite the predicament."

"We're not kits" The tom yelled, though it was followed by a whimper as one of his paws slipped. "Don't just stand there! Help us!" And his sister echoed his pleas.

It was then that Breezefrost came to her senses. She was once more, living out that horrid scene. And as it played on, she felt as if she'd suddenly split from her body - watching the whole event alone, unable to stop herself. She screamed as she felt herself bending down to latch onto the young molly's scruff, though no sound could be heard except for among her mind. She tried to fight against herself as she felt the smaller feline pulling her brother up, she herself helping the two. It's coming! Don't do it, don't do it! Let it stop! Let me wake up! She pleaded, doing everything in her power to do so, but she couldn't do a thing before that finally heave - and then, she let go. And she could only watch as the two plummeted into the darkness below...right where they'd come from.

Breezefrost jerked awake moments later, her heart racing and having to fight to fill her lungs, which seemed to be deprived of air. Her eyes were wide, pupils dilated and her ears seemed to still be ringing at the cries of the two felines. Letting out a shaky breath, she tried to shake the dream off.
      "It was only a dream." She kept telling herself, but still it was slow to leave her. Oh how she wished she could wipe the memory away...it had ruined her, her life and reputation. Everything she'd known and loved had been taken from her, all because of those two cats...if she could destroy every memory of them from her mind, perhaps she could start over and begin anew.

But alas...she couldn't.

Word Count: 1,523
wildsight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

stars quest board - april quests!!

Postby sunny-skies » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:37 am

[ Start of Round ]

Hana wrote:"thank you everyone, I loved hearing what you all had to say!"

March Quests

Quest #1

0Zero0 -- +65 xp
Goatmom -- +15 xp
nindroidzane -- +60 xp
chimingcloud -- +70 xp
wildsight -- +85 xp

Quest #2

0Zero0 -- +45 xp
Archaeopteryx. -- +45 xp
LiLi041 -- +40 xp

Quest #3

0Zero0 -- +30 xp
Knickknacks --+65 xp
nindroidzane -- +25 xp

Please remember to link to this post in your next explore post to use your exp!

Hana wrote:"I wanted to give something special to those of you who put extra work into your entries! you can use this to purchase items in starclan's shop!"

0Zero0 -- +280 stardust
nindroidzane -- +170 stardust
chimingcloud -- +140 stardust
wildsight -- +170 stardust
Knickknacks --+130 stardust

Hana wrote:"I loved everyone's answers, but these were my favorites!"

Quest #1: wildsight and chimingcloud
+UR myo

Quest #2: Archaeopteryx. and 0Zero0
+UN myo

Quest #3: Knickknacks and nindroidzane
+UN myo

Hana wrote:"wait, I still had some more questions!"

A new round has begun!

QUEST #1
what is one of your cats' goals in life?
You may write and/or draw your response to this prompt.

QUEST #2
what is your clan's relationship with water? (is water common in their territory? do they use water to hunt?)
You may only draw your response to this prompt.

QUEST #3
what was a questionable choice that one of your cats has made in the past?
You may only write your response to this prompt.
Last edited by sunny-skies on Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunny-skies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Centipedes » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:04 pm

Username: chimingcloud
Clan: loveclan

Quest number: 2
Response:

Quest Number: 3
Response: "Has Starclan talked to you recently" pondered the white she-cat. She sat elegantly with her chin resting on her Paws but her gaze would not meet her mate.

Clouded dreamer picked up her ears in surprise and tilted her head. "Why are you asking me that? You instructed me not to speak with them and what kind of medicine cat would I be if I didn't respect my leaders wishes."

Dovewing rolled her eyes and scoffed, "You always had a strong faith in them, you wouldn't stop that easily. I know I am having my own fued with our ancestors, but is my karma due? Have they abandoned us ? Will they still tell us if danger is to come to our newfound clan."

The medicine cat purred in amusement, "Starclan does not hold grudges nor will they abandon you, a prophecy cat. You mean more to them than you can imagine. Starclan only says what needs to be said."

The white leader stood up to met her mate's gaze. "So you have talked to them?"

Her ears flattened against her head and her snout faced the ground below them. "Yes, It's important I stay in contact for your sake dear."

"What have they been saying?"

The cat kneaded her Paws into the dirt, " You have rejected your fate and ran from it dovewing, they are disappointed and saddened. Yet a new cat is as strong as they expected you to be and will finish what you started. They told me more but I haven't been able to decipher what exactly it means."

Her heart panged in sadness to know her ancestors weren't pleased with her choice to desert the court she built. She could imagine her mother blaming herself for this. "Can you tell me ?" She pleaded softly.

"Six mages will set paw into the forest but only true warriors will be able to protect their clan."

"Mages??" Dovewing spit out in confusion.

Her medicine cat nodded her head, "I am just as confused as you are." She rest her chin onto her mate's shoulder as she curled up closer to her.

Their tails intertwined as they held each other underneath the midnight moon. Their ancestors twinkling from above as if they were waving down at their old friend. "Cloudeddream" Mewed dovewing weakly.

"Yes, my leader?" Croaked her mate as she licked the white cat's forehead fluffy.

Her tail stirred as she nervously asked "Do you miss the court?"

"I miss running through the flower fields with you." She mewed, looking up at the blue lake of stars. "Nothing in the forest can compare to the hues of the flowers."

The noble leader nodded into cloudeddream's chest, "I could not agree more."
Word Count: 452
┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐
Chime ♡ He/him
♡ owner of heartcatch
└── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┘
Centipedes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby StormSerpent » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:00 am

Username: StormSerpent
Clan: https://toyhou.se/stormserpent/characte ... er:2746337

Quest Number: 2
Response: some of them drink water, others prefer different beverages
it's really long, you might want to open it in a new tab to see it better
awkward, autistic, adhd, anxiety, aroace, agender, artist, alliteration

any pronouns
my toyhouse is stormserpent, you can credit me here or there
StormSerpent

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ethium » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:17 am

username: ethium
      clan: elmclan

QUEST #1
        what is one of your cats' goals in life?
        You may write and/or draw your response to this prompt.

Alderfox desperately desires a family. -- wip !!

QUEST #3

Fadedstone had left them. He alone was responsible for their rage, and for elmclan's current plight. A great sorrow welled up in the tom's chest as he stared out at elmclan's vast landscape. Atop the rise near camp, he was able to gaze down upon the cats of elmclan as they bustled about.

The stench of warding herbs hung heavy in the air.

When the shadow stalker had begun taking lives, it quickly became apparent that the only thing to ward it off were the herbs. Now they wrapped themselves around every cat, every den, even the border of elmclan's own camp was lathered in them. The cloying scent of lavender and dill obscured all others, but up here, on the rise, the air was fresh and clean. The wind whistled through his thin coat, sending a chill down his spine, but no surface cold compared to the chill that had settled itself within faded's own heart. He hadn't told anyone, at least not yet, he didn't want to draw undue attention to himself and he feared what his panic-crazed clanmates would do if he confessed to such a crime. Two nights ago, a dream had woken him in a cold sweat. A reminder of what he had done, dozens of moons ago.

Bitterness rose up in his throat. I should have left him in the snow. He thought maliciously, agitated that this was the position he was put in. Ultimately, though, this position was of his own doing. Faded had a lover once, long ago. He had truly loved her too, but his duties to his clan came above his love for her, and he left her where he had found her, beyond the mountains and beyond his reach. Two children had been the result, and he had brought one of them down with him when he had returned. His soul had broken as he passed through the mountain. He had redirected his broken heart to his son and had treated the young kit as if he were the root cause of all of faded's problems.

He had just been a child. Innocent. He had done nothing wrong.. and faded had hurt him. Had wounded him with words and spite and anger, and all the vehemence that he could muster. It had raged and festered until it became almost a physical entity. He had loathed that child. He had even named the poor kit cruelly in his desperate bid to blame everything on someone else. Withered. he had called the child. When the elder mother had forced him to take care of the kit, life had simply gotten a whole lot worse. Witheredkit grew up unloved, and it was the need for attention and affection that had led him down the path he was currently on.

Witheredpaw had shown an affinity for the divine, and out of a desire to prove himself had used his magic to make it seem as if he was divinely connected. No cat knew his origins, other than his father, but withered's father could care less about him. Faded wished he had said something, had mentioned that the mother had been connected to the dead in a way that was unnatural. She had been a necromancer, and faded had inherited the trait. He faked prophecies and led the clan on a wild goose chase, all in a bid to get the attention he had not been given as a child. When it was discovered? He was cast out and forbade from ever returning.

Faded was certain his son was behind the shadow stalker. It was faded's neglect that had killed so many cats. Faded's decision to be cruel and horrible to an innocent child had now resulted in that child striking back. How could fadedstone blame him? He had called him a monster as a child, a monster for something he hadn't had done, and now the child was showing just how much of a monster he could truly be. If he wouldn't be loved, he would be despised, and he would show them all what it was to fear. Faded simply felt sorrowful. His decision of neglect had led to this, and his choice to abandon the only son he had ever known was going to cause great destruction.

Faded only hoped that the end would come swiftly.
      [725 words]
FEEL THE FEAR, AND DO IT ANYWAY
sam - she/her - i write things sometimes
i'm into mythology, literature, & legos ──
───── stars - carrd - th - disc -> ethiium
ethium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Knickknacks » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:23 am

Username: Knickknacks
Clan: Knollclan

Quest #1 ; what is one of your cats' goals in life?

wip
Quest #2 ; what is your clan's relationship with water? (is water common in their territory? do they use water to hunt?)
Quest #3 ; what was a questionable choice that one of your cats has made in the past?
    "Dawngaze."

The pale-colored healer's ears pricked at the sound of his name- though, tired as he was, he wasn't sure if anyone had really called for him, or if he'd started to hear things in his sleep-deprived state.

Sure enough, though, when he turned around- there stood Rookstar, silhouetted by the faint morning sunlight streaming into the den. The clan leader made Dawngaze slightly nervous at the best of times, and he felt a stab of panic at the dark tabby's appearance now, of all times.

"Rookstar," he murmured, dipping his head respectfully. It was a fight to keep his voice steady, but he managed it for now.

"How is she?" The leader slipped further into the den, coming to stand beside him. Neither of them needed clarification on what he meant- Rookstar was here to ask about Finchpaw. Dawngaze swallowed heavily, not wanting to be the bearer of bad news.

"She's... not good," he admitted, flattening his ears. He didn't want to sound overly pessimistic, but the truth was that things weren't looking good for the injured apprentice. Her wounds were deep, and she'd gone into a state of shock on top of that, which had only worsened things. "Sagespot is with her right now. We're doing everything we can." His fellow healer had in fact shooed him out, urging him to get some rest after staying up all night tending to her. But how could Dawngaze rest? He feared that if he slept, he would wake up to find Finchpaw dead, and feel like he ought to have been there to help Sagespot. He found himself fervently wishing that Dragonbloom were here as well- odd as the newest addition to their team was, she was still another capable pair of paws. But she was also unreliable, prone to disappearances as she was, and right now was one of those times where she was nowhere to be found. He swallowed again, feeling as though invisible claws were constricting him.

Rookstar nodded solemnly. "I know you are. This..." he trailed off, shaking his head. "It was bad enough when we found Haze. I had hoped this would not happen again, and now one of our own is dying because of it."

Dying.

"Don't say that, Rookstar," Dawngaze pleaded, tail lashing anxiously. "I have faith that she may yet make it through. Finchpaw is strong."

"She will die," Rookstar murmured, his eyes all but glazing over as he stared at the far wall, deep in thought. "This is an attack she cannot recover from- and it is only the beginning."

"Wh- Rookstar, what do you mean by that?" Dawngaze protested, shrinking away from his leader. The larger cat did not respond, and Dawngaze felt a chill beneath his fur at the ominous words.

"When Finchpaw has died," Rookstar continued as though the healer had not spoken at all. "...make sure that no cat looks too far into the cause of her death. This is a tragic accident, but the threat may be staved off, still, if only other do not go looking. Getting close to the truth of the matter will only cause more suspicion amongst the clan."

"That's-" Dawngaze's flattened ears tightened still further; he didn't even know how to respond to such a callous statement. "Cats will want to know what happened to her, we can't just brush it off like this."

"If they go looking, it will be bad for the entirety of the clan," Rookstar repeated. "I trust you remember the omen your mentor once told you of, concerning my leadership?"

"Y-yes," Dawngaze stammered. "But I don't see how that's relevant."

It had been one of the first visions he'd heard of- when he'd started training, before either Sagespot or Dragonbloom had joined him as a healer. His mentor had told of a vision they'd had, back when Rookstar had first arrived in the clan. Rooks, they had said, are clever and wise birds, well able to survive- but they were also harbingers of death. In the same way, then, Rookstar- then only Rookpaw, a young cat just beginning his career- would possess both the capability for good and for evil.

"If they learn of that sign, they will turn on me." Rookstar's voice was hard, his chin tilted proudly upward to face the sunlit entrance of the den. "Instability and mistrust will be the downfall of the clan. In the face of this threat, we must be united if we are to survive it."

"What threat?" Dawngaze protested. "How are we supposed to face a danger if we don't even know what it is? You can't just keep us all in the dark and expect us to follow you blindly."

"That is the very nature of loyalty," his leader growled. "To follow even when you do not understand, to trust that the one leading you knows the way and will watch out for you. I did not kill Finchpaw, if that's what you're suspecting," he spat, fierce orange eyes burning into Dawngaze's worried blue ones. "But this omen might undermine my leadership if others knew about it. That is why I am asking you to keep it a secret for me. Share this knowledge with no one- not even your fellow healers. Especially not them," he muttered darkly.

"Failure to do this will lead to... unfortunate consequences with regards to your job. The clan relies on its healers almost as much as the leader, and we cannot appear to be divided on this. Understood?"

Dawngaze realized that, somewhere in the course of this conversation, he had begun shaking. With fear or with anger, he could not tell.

"...understood, Rookstar," he murmured, dropping his gaze respectfully.

"Good. Then remember this: Finchpaw's death was a tragic accident," Rookstar repeated, turning to leave. "And I am a leader with nothing but the good of the clan at heart. I hope you can understand that brings me no joy to put you in this position- but I trust that you will come to understand why it is necessary."

And then he was gone, and Dawngaze was left with a new secret to keep.

[1023 words]
Knickknacks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Whovian5EVA » Sun May 01, 2022 1:27 am

X
Username: Whovian5eva
Clan: Craterclan

═════════════
QUEST #3
═════════════

Snowspark yawned as the warm evening sun spilled into the den, He rolled over and blinked the tiredness from his eyes. He carefully picks his way to the entrance of the den, careful to not wake anyone up. The evening sun flooded the main entrance to the den, Its was almost too hot to head out still, with the day's heat seeping up out of the earth. Snowspark glanced into the nursery, Windgaze was asleep with Littlekit. He sighed, she was a good kit, very sweet not a bad bone in her body. Snowspark decided to curl up by the entrance to the den, to watch as the sun sank lower in the sky. He admired the desert landscape, the rusty earth largely flat but eventually climbing up and seemingly reaching for the sky . The crater was home to many animals but the cats seemed to dominate here for some reason. The sun eventually floated down to the horizon and disappeared behind the ridge of the crater. Snowspark squinted, was that the silhouette of a cat? He blinked and then it was gone. Probably not, he thought to himself. It was time for a hunt, He stood up and stretched his sleepy limbs. He started with a run along the edge of the crater, that was where a lot of animals used to hide during the day much like the cats. He figured that maybe he could catch something setting out for the night much like he was.
He approached the border between Ridgeclan and Craterclan. They smelled of dust and rocks not an awful smell but not familiar like the now mingled scents of those in Craterclan. He wondered what their scent would smell like to the strange Ridgeclan cats. He wandered along the border, careful to not cross it at any point. Despite the lack of Ridgeclan cats they'd seen, the borders were made very clear by both clans. He trailed along the border still, glancing up at the moon gazing down at him. He heard a rustle in some grasses nearby, then he smelt it before he saw it. Dingo! He froze, in a panic. It was way too close for him to be able to outrun it. He glanced around searching for an escape route. His eyes wide with fear. There was a wavy gum tree that he just might be able to escape up.
One...
Two...
Three!
He sprinted as hard has he could towards the tree, his claws digging into the earth as he begged them to carry him just that little bit faster towards the tree. His chest heaved with every breath and his legs burned. After what felt like an eternity his claws began to dig into wood and not earth. He pulled himself up the tree as fast as he could manage hoping the dingo wasn't hungry enough to try to follow him. Snowspark's heart sank as he heard the dingo's claws begin to crack apart the bark of the tree. He scrambled up the tree as far as he could go, he hoped the dingo couldn't reach him here. With every jump and bark the dingo made, he began to doubt whether he was safe where he was. His tail was lashing and he was hissing as loud as he could.
A wild yowl screeched from somewhere behind the grasses. Snowspark didnt care who or what was making that noise he just knew it was his chance to try to scare off the dingo. It seemed to knock the dingo off its focus for just long enough for Snowspark to scramble down and swipe at its nose. Before backing up the tree to his hiding place. Finally the screeching ball of fur threw itself at the dingo and clung on hard. The dingo yelped in surprise.
Before long the dingo decides its had enough and finally throws the cat off its back and turns tail. It's black claws hitting the earth as it aims for the horizon.
The stranger stands, panting in the settling dust, only then does Snowspark get a real look at the stranger. His fur was a beautiful tan colour and he had a dazzling red scarf. When the moonlight hit him just right, a perfect amount of striping danced over his legs and tail. Most of all Snowspark felt like he could lose himself in the depths of the stranger's beautiful eyes.
"Are you okay? Do you need any herbs? I'm not sure if I have any for shock though."
Even his voice is beautiful Snowspark shook his head almost trying to shake the thoughts from his mind "Uh no... I think I'm... uh... okay? Thank you." Snowspark stumbled over his words from shock, but he wasn't sure if it was because of the dingo. "I can't believe you just did that." Snowspark failed to keep the admiration out of his voice.
"I couldn't leave a cat in such a perilous situation, regardless of who they are. Every cat deserves a chance to live." The stranger smiled and despite Snowspark's rose-tinted glasses, he could tell that this stranger must've been genuine.
"Who are you?"
"My name's Birchmist, and yours?"
"I'm Snowspark its really nice to meet you." He smiled. "Please let me re-pay you, I might have died if you hadn't saved me!"
"I mean prey has been scarce for us lately"
"Us? Who else do you mean? Cats aren't often together?"
"I'm part of the new group up on the edge. Have you heard of it?"
Snowspark's heart sank. Ridgeclan. "Uh... I have actually..." He began to wonder if this was the right thing to do... Surely it was. A small bit of food isn't much to give up, especially considering they could've lost much more, a member of Craterclan. "I uh... I'm a part of the burrowing clan..." His voice trailed off expecting some sort of rejection from Birchmist.
"You're not going to attack me or anything are you??" Birchmist gasped.
"No! I wouldn't dare. especially after you saved my life. as for the food, I can bring you some during dusk? I think I'll have to hide it from my clan..."
Days passed and the two began to see each other more than they first agreed to, Ridgeclan's food troubles faded away so Snowspark stopped bringing food, but the two just began to enjoy each other's company. Birchmist had a soft spot for this warrior and his protective nature. For a short time, they were happy.
Then Birchmist found out kits were on the way.
"Look, I don't think there's a good answer for which clan they should go to..." Birchmist reasoned.
"I'm Craterclan's Watcher... They'll ask too many questions... Ridgeclan might ask less?"
"I guess you're right, but it seems unfair for them to grow up not knowing their other father... "
"It'll only put them in danger, I don't think we get a choice in this. Fate seems to have already chosen for us."
The two sat in moonlit silence, considering their kit's fates and trying to ignore the goodbyes that they'll inevitably have to say. Be it a goodbye to their kits or a goodbye to their lover, neither wanted to confront it quite yet. The future hung heavy on the night, like stormclouds in a night sky.

1219 Words

If I'm online at weird
times its because
I'm from Australia.
You can call me Vee! :)
Uni Student | adult
I draw sometimes I guess?
Whovian5EVA

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nindroidzane » Sun May 01, 2022 11:50 am

Username: nindroidzane
Clan: FrostClan

Response: It started with a whisper.

Well… it started much before that. But without the whisper, the little ghost in her ear promising more than she ever could have dreamed, would she have strived to meet her goals at all?

Perhaps. But it had certainly given her the push she'd needed to start young. Only days before her cub ceremony - once she'd already become known as the troublemaker of the Clan. She was finally taught how to put her skills to good use.

To, someday, become leader.

It was promised to her, so long as she did everything correctly. She'd learned from Mothspeckle's mistakes; although that little stunt had put most cats on edge for moons afterwards, so nothing would be as easy as it might've been before.

Still. She was confident everything would go smoothly, once she was ready. Once she had practiced.

But if anything set the Clan more on edge than a failed murder attempt, it was a successful one. Something she had… failed to consider, maybe a little too blinded by confidence.

That didn’t matter, though; at least, it wouldn’t. As long as nobody knew it was her. Or… as long as those who did kept their mouths shut. None of this would matter when she became leader.

And she would be.

They had sworn it.

Word Count: 220
nindroidzane

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me