Based on Click to view
Artist bronc [gallery]
Time spent 32 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
3 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Cumberland Stock Pony #0008

Postby bronc » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:14 pm

ImageImage

The Cumberland Stock Pony is a relatively old North American breed, with the first crosses originating in the Appalachian Mountains in the years following the Civil War, when Narragansett Pacers and Norfolk Trotters imported to Tennessee were bred with the wild Chincoteague ponies off the barrier island of Assateague in Maryland and Virginia. Originally, these first crosses were only considered a "type" of horse, not a specific breed, and were bred to work as pit ponies in the coal mines of Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia. Sable Island Ponies, praised for their work in the coal mines in Nova Scotia, were later brought over and crossed with these first working horses to improve the breed. It wouldn't be until the turn of the twentieth century that the breed would be brought up from underneath the ground, when they were crossed with Morgan horses and Thoroughbreds, that their use outside of the mines would be noticed. These new crosses were seen as all-purpose horses, used for pulling coaches and as riding horses. They were also used as stock horse by local cattlemen, and were praised for their smooth gaits, stamina, and surefootedness. The Cumberland Pony was also increasingly used for sport, and found success in harness racing.

Today, the Cumberland Stock Pony sees success in a variety of disciplines, and can be seen competing in both English and Western classes, including but not limited to cutting, western pleasure, working cow horse, dressage, and hunter jumping. Later crosses with Welsh Ponies and North American Sportponies have also found success in show jumping and cross country, those these are not as common. Outside of the show ring, many Cumberland Stock Ponies are used as trail horses and companions, and are praised for their steady natures, willingness, and loyalty. Cumberlands are also used as Pony Club and 4H mounts for youths throughout the country thanks to their quiet temperament and capability to perform a variety of disciplines. Cumberland Stock Ponies have been proven to be easy keepers, with most requiring little to no maintenance. In more recent years, there has been an increase in Cumberland Stock Ponies in therapeutic riding thanks to their calm demeanor. The Cumberland Stock Pony Society has become nationally recognized, and now holds several annual shows and offers incentives for breeders.

starter import for clemmie

Code: Select all
    [b]Owner:[/b] clemmie
    [b]Stable:[/b] (not required for the time being, you may leave this blank)
    [b]Show name:[/b]
    [b]Barn name:[/b]
    [b]Age:[/b] (3 - 20 years)
    [b]Discipline:[/b] Cross country
    [b]Halter color:[/b]

Owner: clemmie
    Breeder: Foundation
    Show Name:
    Barn Name:
    Sex: stallion

Breed Score: not scored
    Coat Color: Grullo rabicano