Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

The Smilodon - Extinct. by jupiter,

Based on Click to view
Artist jupiter, [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 16 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
13 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

The Smilodon - Extinct.

Postby jupiter, » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:06 am

first lil guy in this series omgomgomg

the saber-toothed cat is a large specimen of the extinct group of animals called predatory therapsids. the were predominately carnivores, theorised to hunt on large land animals such as mammoths. there are many theories around its method of killing, as they went extinct so long ago that this behaviour could not be naturally observed. it has been said that it stuck soft tissue such as the throat or belly, potentially using its teeth as an aid. although, because of the size of its canines, it cannot inflict major depth with its bite force.

there is no concrete evidence to support when exactly they became extinct, as so little can be found from only skeletons. the remains that have been found are estimated to be between 42 million to 11 thousand years old. in recent years, due to the climate around us drastically changing, massive blocks of ice have been thawing, revealing new discoveries about the Smilodon and other mammals around the Pleistocene epoch.

even though its name withholds the name “tiger”, Smilodon are actually closer related to lions. many species recovered actually bare no relation to the family “felid”, being more closer related to marsupials. apon closer inspection of these bones, new families of saber-tooth’s was discovered, and labelled into more definitive families and classifications.

due to more advanced technology, in the next few years, the DNA could be extracted from within frozen or preserved specimens of the Smilodon, resulting in them evidently being resurrected. talk about Jurassic park :sobbing:

as much as I absolutely adore these creatures, I’m rather glad I don’t have to worry about running into one in the streets, that would be scary. what is your opinion on these beautiful creatures? do you agree with the evolution of science, and now us as a species having the ability to play god within this world? let me know what you think, and which animals you would like to see depicted and explained within this little mini-series!
jupiter,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The Smilodon - Extinct.

Postby Swishy & Broken » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:35 pm

Cute artwork jupiter, !
Image Image Image