Based on Click to view
Artist HowlingHooves [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 13 minutes
Drawing sessions 4
5 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Range Trotter #3000

Postby HowlingHooves » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:28 am

Range Trotters are the result of crossbreeding Orlov Trotters, Finnhorses, Welsh Cobs (section C & D) and Hanoverians. Later crosses of Quarter Horses, Paint and Appaloosas to gain color and to give a boost to their hardiness.With a height average of 13-15 hands, they're a hardy breed with characteristics for various disciplines.

Created for use as work, carriage and leisure riding horses originally, they now serve as long-distance range horses, such as work with Park Rangers and mounted officers.

Willing and eager personalities, most are quickly trained to be bombproof and therefore trusted mounts in all lines of work; some are being seen in local show jumping competitions, others are notably used in therapeutic sessions for their calm temperaments. Harness races and endurance trials are common for the breed, as they are able to sustain an extended trot without tire. Cross-Country competitions see some of the taller Trotters, but due to their cob lineage this is still uncommon.

Despite the variety of competitions and work these horses are being seen in, they are still famously skilled as endurance racers. Many competitors have chosen Range Trotters due to their tireless work ethic, as well as the ease in which they can be trained. Many have become champions in endurance trials, and they have quickly become a sought after breed for their natural ability.

We’ve hit 3k! Thank you so much community and team! It’s been wonderful.

This baby is relatively simple, but sometimes that’s nice anyway. c:
    In another life, this trotter remembers being part of royalty, and being revered as a deity in a different memory.
    What did they look like in their other lives? You may draw, you may write a descriptive design of them, you may use any number of oekaki bases or other character creators! (Just be sure that you link back to things.)
    I don’t mind if you choose to create one of their past selves, both listed above, or make up one of your own!
    But the limit is three pieces or art and/or 1000 words, no more than that please. <3
    Both can be used, writing and artwork.

End Date: 1/15

Username: sunniedew
    Show Name: Queen of the Sandwings
    Barn Name: Sahara

Height: 15 hh
    Eye Color: Imbued Rubies
    Phenotype: Sooty Flaxen Red Wildebeest Dun Chaetodon Winged Eyeliner Crescent Moon
    Genotype: ee aa WdWd ff Stysty CtCt WgelCrm + Eye Glow
Last edited by HowlingHooves on Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
HowlingHooves

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Range Trotter #3000

Postby Sunniedew » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:49 pm

Username: Sunniedew
    Show Name: Queen of the Sandwings
    Barn Name: Sahara
    Height: 15hh
    Prompt:

xxxxx“Mother, what does ‘Sahara’ mean?” Boa II asked after the large Sandwing next to her who had announced the name.
      xxxxx“It’s a word meaning ‘desert’. I found it in a Pantalan book.” Jerboa answered impatiently, scraping off the extra eggshell that was stuck to the dragonet to get a good look at her. Just as enchanted, her dragonet looked nothing like her.
      xxxxxShe had brown stripes and darker brown scales, and the most striking feature, her eyes. Bright ruby, just as the queen asked for. Now to do the other tasks.
      xxxxx“Boa, I enchant you to go outside and wait for me.” he turned and addressed her daughter, who snapped her snout shut and promptly exited the room. If only I could enchant this dragon the same way.
      xxxxxBut if she did anything other than what she was asked, she would get a tail barb right through the heart. The only thing she was allowed to do was name her.
      xxxxx“Sahara, I enchant you to become blood related to Queen Scorpion, and remain an animus dragon.”
      xxxxxThe dragonet just made a small sound, but Jerboa didn’t need proof that it worked. Animus spells always work.
      xxxxxSuddenly the door to the hatchery burst open, and the gigantic Sandwing queen barged in. “Is it done?”
      xxxxx“Yes. She’s all yours.” Jerboa stood up and handed the dragonet to the queen, who took her with great care. “Her name is Sahara.”
      xxxxx“I’m glad you had the decency to name her something beautiful.” Queen Scorpion smiled down at the dragonet, whose eyes widened with wonder.
      xxxxx“Uh huh.” Jerboa rolled her eyes and walked past the queen, who didn’t look up to see her out.
      xxxxxShe didn’t care what Scorpion wanted to do with the dragonet. She supposed since she couldn’t manipulate Jerboa into doing anything, she could manipulate her daughter instead. And if she became the next Sandwing queen, hopefully she would never see Jerboa again.

xxxxxUnfortunately, animus magic can’t bring dragons back to life.
    xxxxxThe amount of dragons that have died under Queen Scorpion’s rule was asinine, and part of it was Sahara’s fault.
    xxxxxShe had no idea her magic was being used to hurt other tribes. The only fighting she ever knew was the Icewings and Nightwings’ war over the Sandwings’ territory. Scorpion had just said to ignore it, since they had their own problems. The Sandwings needed to focus on taking territory from the Mudwings and Skywings. Sahara had no idea why they needed their territory since the desert was big enough for everyone, but she could never get a word in. She just assumed that the queen would trade the mountains of treasure for the land.
    xxxxxBut she was wrong.
    xxxxxScorpion wasn’t using the enchanted spears for defending the kingdom.
    xxxxxShe was using them for genocide.
    xxxxxArmies of both Skywings and Mudwings were being slain. And it was all Sahara’s fault.
    xxxxxI have to stop her!
    xxxxxBut how? She was much too young and inexperienced to challenge her for the throne. The only advantage that she had was animus magic. But if she enchanted her mother to die, the entire kingdom would know it was her fault. She needed some advice.
    xxxxxSo one night, she escaped from the palace and flew to the Scorpion Den, where she was hoping to find a specific dragon to help her.
    xxxxxThe town was quiet at night, one of the rare times you could sneak around without being crowded by dragons who want to harvest your organs. She had only been here once with her mother to gather soldiers, which is where she could find her one and only friend. “Recluse!”
    xxxxxThe dark brown dragon raised her head in surprise as Sahara landed next to her. Recluse used to be her nanny at the palace, but was banished from the kingdom once she learned that Sahara was animus. Scorpion spared her life in exchange for never having contact with Sahara again. Which made her reaction understandable as she raised her poisonous tail barb.
    xxxxx“Get away!” she snarled, but Sahara made herself as small as possible to let her know she wasn’t a threat.
    xxxxx“Please, Recluse. I need your help.” Sahara pleaded. “I need to stop my mother. I need to become queen to save the other tribes! I think you know a way around me having to kill her myself.” she continued. “Mother said you used to know another animus dragon named Jerboa?”
    xxxxxThe older dragon’s wings tensed at that name. “I did. Thankfully I managed to get some enchanted items from her before she ran away.” She beckoned for Sahara to follow her into her hut.
    xxxxx“They all are able to kill a dragon in some way, so I’ve never found any of them useful. But perhaps one of them can help.” She made her way over to a drawer and opened it. Inside there was an abundance of different items, most of them being edible. They must’ve been enchanted to never spoil.
    xxxxx“Which one do you think I should use?” Sahara asked. “We don’t have much time.”
    xxxxx“This one.” Recluse bent down and picked up an apricot fruit. “It will kill her the quickest. A heart attack. It will also make her state that Jerboa killed her.”
    xxxxx“Thank you!” Sahara took the apricot and hugged Recluse.
    xxxxx“Just hurry.” Recluse hugged her back. “And don’t come back until you’re queen.”

xxxxxSahara remembers that day vividly.
    xxxxx“The queen is dead!”
    xxxxx“She had a heart attack!”
    xxxxx“It was magic! Jerboa killed her! Find her!”
    xxxxxBut they never found Jerboa.
    xxxxxSahara wouldn’t really care if they did. All that mattered is that she was queen.
    xxxxxAnd she was running out of time.
    xxxxxIn one day, her daughter would definitely challenge her for the throne and become queen. And she would let her. She’s lived too long.
    xxxxxThe Sandwings are thriving. She’s done her job.
    xxxxxSo now she can rest. With Recluse. With her mother.

xxxxxOr… she could be reborn.
    xxxxxSahara still has these memories. What will she do?
    xxxxx1000/1000

Sunniedew

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HowlingHooves » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:09 am

So sorry for the delay, but oml I love her Sunnie! :D
    Sahara is wonderful, and a dragon yaaassss!
HowlingHooves

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sunniedew » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:04 pm

ahhh Sahara is home!!! thank you so much <33
sunnie/snakies he/it