[r] extra eyes

_______

_____Image
_____➼ pronouns: they/them
_____➼ birthday: march 15
_____➼ mbti type: isfp
_____➼ breeding slots: 3/3

nostalgia entry prompt:
    Stepping into the old campground, Ari inhaled the saturated scent of pine needles and promised adventure. It had been seven years since they had last visited here as an aspiring camper, and would be their last visit before the place shut down. Stepping onto the soggy mulch pathway, they gazed over the unassuming rows of cabins tucked into the towering pine trees. The grand childhood memories associated with them seemed to have outgrown the cabins, sitting now smaller and more lonely than they remembered. Perhaps it was merely the freedom away from their parents that made the place so appealing, but as of now it was nothing more than a few abandoned buildings accumulating dust. The ancient, central magnolia was still engraved with etchings of initials, a memorial to young kalons of years past. Stepping into the stale air of the cabins, Ari thought back to simpler times.

※※※

It was an hour's drive to the campgrounds, an hour filled with staring out the window as the trees rushed by, short-lived sessions of summer reading, and awkward attempts at uncomfortable carseat napping. The last five minutes before arrival brought a sudden burst of adrenaline, making Ari desperately peer over the front seat to be the first to spot the campground's entrance. Upon arrival, Ari would burst out of the car, ignoring their parents' yelps to help carry luggage, and dash towards their friends. While Ari had just seen them the past school year, three weeks is an eternity to a young kalon.

The first night never involved any sleeping. The young kalons would pile up upon neighboring bunks, exchanging stories and jokes until a camp counselor walked in and they quickly attempted to hide under the covers. The counselor would slowly search around, pretending not to see them, until one of the campers would burst out, having grown too hot under the covers in the night's heat, and be met with the groans of disproval from the other hiders.

Mornings were met with the wah wah weeeh of cicadas and the promise of treks deep into the forest. Ari and their friends quickly learned to navigate the woods based on the direction of the sun and landmarks alone, using this information to construct hidden stick forts that would be collapsed by year's end. Mischievous rumors of cryptid sightings that young kalons swore were true lived behind every snap of a branch or strong gust of wind. At the end of each day, the campers spent late nights around the campfire, telling old stories and hosting competitions over who made the best smores.

※※※

As the sun began to gently tuck under the horizon, the campgrounds were flooded with a familiar array of pinks and oranges. The frogs had begun their nightly croaks and everything was just as it was seven years ago. Settling down onto a forgotten stump, Ari took in the scene around them. A gentle smile on their face, they closed their eyes and whispered, "Thanks for the memories, old campground."
500/500 words // extra; young ari and friends in the forestImage

click for better resolution!

┌─────┐

└─────┘
┌───────────┐

kylo • they/them • enfj
artist and frog enthusiast.
pms are always open :]
🦌🎀 | ©

└───────────┘
┌─────┐

└─────┘