Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
If you are unsure, read the full art rules here: Forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30437

Caledon Irish Draughts | Open by acronymm

Based on Click to view
Artist acronymm [gallery]
Time spent 10 minutes
Drawing sessions 5
18 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Caledon Irish Draughts | Open

Postby acronymm » Tue May 19, 2020 3:04 pm

main page | archive | artist & staff search | customs | breedings | store | Q+A | discord

The Irish Draught horse is the national horse breed of Ireland which developed primarily for farm use. Today, they are especially popular for crossing with Thoroughbreds and warmbloods, producing the popular Irish Sport Horses, which excel at the highest levels of eventing and show jumping. The Irish Draught was the ultimate utility animal on the small Irish farm. The Irish Draught had to be able to plough a field, be ridden under saddle, hunt with the hounds and take the family trap to church on a Sunday. The stamina, docility, size, and good sense of the Irish Draught made it ideally suitable to all of these disciplines. Irish Draughts were bred to be economical to keep, surviving on grass and gorse, and on any boiled turnips, oats and bran left over from cattle feed.

The breed originated from the Irish Hobby, a small ambling horse with many similarities to the primitive Garrano and Sorraia horses of Northern Spain and Portugal. War horses brought to Ireland during the Anglo-Norman invasions were bred with this local stock and later, additional Iberian blood was incorporated as Spanish horses from the shipwrecked Armada found their way ashore near Cork and the South West of Ireland. Clydesdale, Thoroughbred and half-bred sires were used on the local Draught mares in the 19th century and early 20th century, and a sprinkling of native Connemara pony blood added to form the breed known as the Irish Draught today.

The Irish government became involved with the breed at the beginning of the 20th century to promote better horses. They offered subsidies, and introduced registration for stallions in 1907 and mares in 1911. Inspections for registration also began. The stud book was opened by the Ministry of Agriculture in 1917, selecting 375 mares and 44 stallions to enter as the foundation stock. Clydesdale horses were imported from Britain to meet the demand for plow horses in the heavy soil agricultural areas and also as heavy haulage horses in Dublin and other cities. Clydes were cross-bred with the Irish Draught horses in these areas, producing an animal that was taller and coarser. However, the Clydesdale was blamed for adding a lack of stamina, and poor limb and quarter conformation to the Irish Draught and so this practice was discontinued. Infusions of Thoroughbred blood helped to breed out some of these traits, and also added more refinement, greater endurance, and better shoulder conformation.

The breed flourished for a while, but numbers subsequently dropped as a result of death losses during the Great Wars, and the mechanization of the mid-20th century. In 1976, a small group of Irish breeders banded together to form the Irish Draught Horse Society and preserve the breed. By 1979, a branch of the Society was formed in Great Britain. Bord na gCapall ("Irish Horse Board" in Irish) was formed in 1976 specifically to promote the non-Thoroughbred horse industry, but was disbanded in the 1980s. The Irish Horse Board (IHB) was founded as a co-operative society in 1993 and administers the Irish Horse Register, the Irish Sport Horse Studbook and the Irish Draught Horse Studbook on behalf of the Department of Agriculture.

Since the evolution of showjumping in Ireland, Irish Draughts have been popular for crossbreeding. They are well-known for producing upper-level eventers and show jumpers, and are exported across the globe. Today's Irish Draught is used mainly as a foundation animal for crossing with other breeds to produce sport horses. The most popular cross is the Thoroughbred or Continental Warmblood stallion used on the purebred or partbred Irish Draught mare to produce the Irish Sport Horse (or Irish Draught Sport Horse). The Irish Draught dam passes on bone, substance, and a more sensible temperament to her crossbred offspring. The breed is also used for hunting and showing, being excellent jumpers themselves. Due to its calm good sense and strength, Irish Draught geldings are popular mounts for police forces in Britain and Ireland. The upsurge in leisure riding as a passtime in recent years has given the Irish Draught, particularly the Irish Draught gelding, a great new outlet. The docile temperament and good sens of the Irish Draught make it the ideal mount for the leisure or casual rider.

credit:
lines by adheline
text by night & wolfy
irish draught horse information

* stamp for signature *
Code: Select all
[url=https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=4339577&hilit=caledon][img]https://www.chickensmoothie.com/oekaki/image/image.php?id=3618337&size=large&format=auto&rev=1590115676[/img][/url]

absolutely gorgeous giftlines by rangerthecowpony! just look at them, ahh <3
Last edited by acronymm on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:48 am, edited 13 times in total.
acronymm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Caledon Irish Draughts l Rules

Postby acronymm » Tue May 19, 2020 3:04 pm

❤ be kind and respectful to everyone. all issues will be resolved peacefully if any come up.
❤ pm me, acronymm, and/or any moderators, if you have questions, concerns, or problems.
❤ artists must make at least 3 adopts a month, no maximum!
❤ there is no limit on the amount of customs, adopts, etc, that one can own. be mindful of others though!
❤ don't be upset if you don't win an adopt! There's always a next time.
❤ chicken smoothie rules always apply.
❤ you have two strikes, then you will be ultimately banned. i reserve the right to revoke and readopt any CIDs if you are banned.
❤ do not steal any CID lines, designs, adopts, any information, or otherwise. theft results in bans.
❤ only natural colors and patterns will be found on Caledon Irish Draughts. irregular patterning is acceptable, just no neon colors or patterns.
❤ no selling or trading your CIDs for anything (currency, pets, points, etc)
❤ our punishment system: violators of rules will face the consequences. each consequence depends on the severity of what has been done. theft of anything, selling your CIDs for profit, etc, will result in a ban. if you are banned, your CIDs will be confiscated and adopted back out.
❤ keep up with all slots and information.
❤ stallions and mares both have breeding 3 slots, replenished each month
❤ you must have an updated storage for your Caledon Irish Draughts in order to breed them and use them in special events and competitions
❤ once your CID is bred and has a foal, the foal has a two week period until it may bred

❤ try for as many CIDs as you'd like, but please be mindful and considerate of others though.
❤ you must make a character storage once you have won a CID, can be on cs, toyhouse, or anywhere cs friendly. please PM me or our archivist with a link to your storage barn.
❤ please fill out the form that is provided in order to adopt. otherwise your entry will not be counted.
❤ you may res/mark, but be sure to finish forms by the deadline.
❤ do not hassle, bribe, insult, etc anybody, whether it be an artist, community member, or anyone for that matter.
❤ be kind, even if you do not win the CID you wanted! good sportsmanship is a must.

❤ natural colors only. neon colorations/patternings (ex; neon pink and green with purple streaks and red spots) are prohibited, forbidden.
❤ feel free to do any prompt, whether it be FCFS, naming, favorite food/bird/color, short story, art, etc.
❤ as a thank you for your hard work, artists, moderators, and archivists may make their own custom every month!
❤ always include the form when making an adopt (fill out any needed parts such as deadline, prompt, etc).
❤ each thread (customs, breedings, adopts) will have separate numbering to keep everything organized.
Last edited by acronymm on Thu May 21, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
acronymm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Caledon Irish Draughts | Staff

Postby acronymm » Tue May 19, 2020 3:05 pm

owner: acronymm

artists: acronymm, RangerTheCowpony, rebel.appy, owlmania, dubai

archivist(s): Lavellan

moderators:
Last edited by acronymm on Wed May 27, 2020 6:30 am, edited 7 times in total.
acronymm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Caledon Irish Draughts | Notice Board & More

Postby acronymm » Tue May 19, 2020 3:05 pm

- officially opened, 5/19/20!
- our lovely staff team has grown <3
- #20 released 5/30/20

- none at the moment!

artists, include this form!
Code: Select all
[center][quote][img]https://txt-dynamic.static.1001fonts.net/txt/dHRmLjg4LjAwMDAwMC5RMkZzWldSdmJpQkpjbWx6YUNCRWNtRjFaMmgwY3csLC4w/sherland.regular.png[/img]
[url=https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4339577#p130473776]main page[/url] | [url=https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=4341685&p=130510626#p130510626]archive[/url] | [url=https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4340202]artist & staff search[/url] | [url=https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=4340204]customs[/url] | [url=https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=4340206]breedings[/url] | [url=https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=4351983&hilit=Q%26A#p130686573]store[/url] | [url=https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=4351983&hilit=Q%26A]Q+A[/url] [/quote]

[b]end date[/b];
[b]prompt[/b];

[b]gender[/b];
[b]phenotype[/b];
[b]eye color[/b];
[b]mane + tail type[/b];

[i]fill out this form to adopt![/i]

[code][b]username:[/b]
[b]show name:[/b]
[b]barn name:[/b]
[b]gender:[/b]
[b]halter and hardware color:[/b]
[b]prompt (if applicable):[/b] [/code][/center]
Last edited by acronymm on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:08 am, edited 15 times in total.
acronymm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Caledon Irish Draughts l Construction

Postby RangerTheCowpony » Tue May 19, 2020 10:56 pm

You already know I have to try out for these XD. I’m so excited about these! Can’t wait to see where you take them!

drafts horses are baby *^*
RangerTheCowpony

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby acronymm » Wed May 20, 2020 6:59 am

RangerTheCowpony wrote:You already know I have to try out for these XD. I’m so excited about these! Can’t wait to see where you take them!

drafts horses are baby *^*

thank you ranger!! i'm so excited to get them up!

°•° they sure are aaah! definitely agree
──-────────────────
hello! im acronymm [aka acro]
i love meeting new people and
making others happy! i also en

────────────────-──

──-──────────────────
joy trading and collecting. my
goal is to eventually open an
adoption center, so every pet
helps. i love all animals, but
my favorites are horses, canines, birds and reptiles. i
own two horses in real life too!

──────────────────-──

──-────────────
cupido draft horses
create a shelter
caledon irish draughts
cleopatra's stables arabians

────────────-──
YOU MIGHT NOT
LIKE WHAT

YOU WILL
acronymm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DVTProject » Wed May 20, 2020 8:19 am

*silently puts a mark* I'ma just stalk these beauties from the shadows
Originaly JinxedStudios
Taurus
April 28th

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DVTProject

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby acronymm » Wed May 20, 2020 9:55 am

DVTProject wrote:*silently puts a mark* I'ma just stalk these beauties from the shadows

ahh, haha, thank you <33!!
──-────────────────
hello! im acronymm [aka acro]
i love meeting new people and
making others happy! i also en

────────────────-──

──-──────────────────
joy trading and collecting. my
goal is to eventually open an
adoption center, so every pet
helps. i love all animals, but
my favorites are horses, canines, birds and reptiles. i