Based on Click to view
Artist acadicus [gallery]
Time spent 10 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
28 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

shading

Postby acadicus » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:47 am

disclaimer: i use chickenpaint two!

BadgerBuddies wrote:Hi I’m here and I have every single question about art ever but I’ll stick to a big one I’ve started to think about!!! Shading (and also the lighter aspects I am having a brain fart on the word for that alsmsodkdkd),,,, how do you do that??! I understand the concept of choosing where the light source comes from, but I feel like when I add shading it never looks right. I guess what’s the best way to go about choosing a color/tool for shading and how large of a section to shade in???

((Jk I thought of more smaller questions I’m sorry this is so long 😭😭))

1. Is there a way to resize certain layers on oekaki? Like if we drew something larger so it could be more detailed and then shrink it down for it to work with the art piece??? 2. If there a way to match colors?? When I was doing the art of Dutch I panicked bc I didn’t know how to get the colors to match up perfectly so I just tried really really hard to match them on my own

for getting your shading to look right, while where the light source is is very important, i think the shape of the object is also very important! more round things (like the cat's body parts) will have curved shading, while angular things will usually have more straight lines (think a cube)!

i think a lot of artists, including me, use multiply and clipping for shading! while black shading with the opacity lowered can work well, having a color with multiply turned on will usually result in more 'vibrant' shading. (if you didn't know, multiply is a layer blending option that makes the color on that layer always darker than the colors it is on top of! you could put light pink over dark brown, and if the light pink layer was on multiply, it would still make the dark brown darker. clipping is the little down arrow at the bottom of the layers menu, it makes sure the color won't go outside of where the layer it is clipped to is. i think from your art you might already do this? but just in case! ^^

i personally like to clip the shading layer to the color layer and color the whole thing the shading color (purple in my drawing), then erase the parts that are lit up. i did this in the drawing above! but you can also just add the shading in the places you see fit, both work.

i hope what i said answered your shading questions? now onto the next ones!

1. yep! it's called transform. it will have a little drag box, and if you have the shift key held down, it will make sure the ratio for the image will stay the same. changing the size of a layer can make it a little blurrier than if you just drew it normally, but usually shrinking looks better than expanding!

2. yes for this too! i have an extension, but there are online websites too. it's called color-picking! when you select the color from the image, you can copy the hex code (#ffdf6c, #b48c74, etc) and paste it right into the oekaki on the little color box.

i hope this cleared up everything!! let me know if you still have questions <3
acadicus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: shading

Postby JK341 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:17 am

ahh this helps so much for me as well. I had always been totally confuzzled about how to even work the clipping thing! xD

I had always just created a new layer with low opacity and drawn on the shading like that. x)
Adult | He/Him

JK341

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cetacea » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:20 am

Haha I agree with J-and-K341, shading has always been tricky for me. I must try the multiply layer next time - thanks for the tip cinna! I love what you're doing :)
Cetacea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BadgerBuddies » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:18 pm

I’m gonna cry thank you so much for all of your help!!! I literally did not know any of this and didn’t even realize there were different programs for oekaki paintings heh 😅 I can’t wait until I have some time to try some of this out and do some practicing!!!!
BadgerBuddies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me