[7] by paperjack.

Based on Click to view
Artist paperjack. [gallery]
Time spent 8 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
12 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

[7]

Postby paperjack. » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:36 am

SilverWolfLover wrote:Got any tips on shading + what's your favourite colour?

My favorite color is orange! Has been that way for forever, and it won't change. Secondary is probably blue.

Shading can be tricky, but the key thing you have to decide first is your light source. From my arrow you can clearly see the parts of the figure being shined upon by a brighter color compared to the original. The parts that are faced away from the light, or out of its reach, is what you shade in with a darker color. I typically don't cell shade, so you'll have to look elsewhere for advice on that.

To really get a hang of shading I do suggest looking at real pictures of clothing, objects, and basically anything! Recognize the light source in the image and move from there. There is plenty of guides online on how to shade certain liquids/materials that I can't really help you here. I also somehow just got a knack for shading, though I still need to work on being less excessive with it and being precise.

Personally, I tend to use Soft Light at a mid-low opacity for a more exaggerated shade/light (it's what I did in the image). Putting a warm or bit of a cold color that matches the colors you used as an "overlay" can really make it pop! I used red here, like usual. Just make sure it's at an opacity where it doesn't make your drawing seem like it's bleeding/the lines are very dark.
paperjack.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: [7]

Postby .Kira Nightblade. » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:52 am

Oooh thank you so much for sharing this! I struggle too much with shading xD
vibin