Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Open species; Sabelhest by a snoozing skerple

Based on Click to view
Artist a snoozing skerple [gallery]
Time spent 8 hours, 57 minutes
Drawing sessions 7
36 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Open species; Sabelhest

Postby a snoozing skerple » Mon May 22, 2017 3:35 pm

In archaic times, sabelhests and similar creatures were seen all throughout Voweg Turr, a land of near-mythical status if only for the incredible blasts of sound it would trap. Formed in the shape of a towering bowl, the scarps and flatlands alike of Voweg Turr were deafening to stand within, as the shape of the land captured huge torrents of wind from the sea that could only circle its walls until they died down. Most native creatures of this land were deaf, and communicated in low, vibrating hums and bellows.
Though in most circumstances they acted alongside the natural roles of any other horse, sabelhests had one rather specific purpose within their territory, which was to ward off creatures that did not belong within their mortal plane.
A sabelhest would never run from a revenant, instead charging to face them head on and forcibly eject such creatures from the living realm to wander between the many halls of the dead. With its affinity towards expulsive magic, a sabelhest is far from helpless before the undead. For many eras following the presence of these animals, Voweg Turr was a realm that seldom fell under serious danger of the undead, ghosts usually appearing only in response to disturbed graves or purposeful dark magics. Occasionally a small wave of draug might emerge from the sea, washed up onto the shores from other lands - wander as they might, sooner or later they would have to contend with the herds.

Long ago it was said that a sabelhest would come into being when a wild herd grazed above the site of a great natural disaster, and that where many animals entered, they would leave as only one, empowered by the remnants of the site's natural magics. While sabelhests do possess some degree of magic, it's more easily observed that they reproduce in the same way that any other animal would - so assuming that an animal could even be produced in such an abnormal manner, this story would certainly not be true for every sabelhest out there.
In the age of conquest, this is a story that is seldom repeated. Branded as the death-faced spawn of evil magics, sabelhests have been hunted into scarcity, the warriors of numerous foreign lands having quickly decreed them to be a formidable threat and demanding to put them down before they can bring foul magics to new lands. Unfortunately, a sabelhest's expulsive magic holds no command over the living - thus they have become few, and Voweg Turr has been lost to the undead blight.

Though fewer, there are a number of countries that do not view sabelhests as dark creatures which have helped them to expand into the wildernesses of their own lands. Mostly left to their own devices in the wilds.. as long as they stay within the right borders, anyway.. sabelhests are occasionally ridden in the more accepting countries, and when properly trained, they make for as obedient a steed as any other horse. Riders beware, however; though its horns are widely-set enough to allow its back to be saddled, it would take but a quick turn of the beast's head to forcibly dismount its smaller companion.

TLDR; ...If I knew how to summarize there wouldn't be this massive wall of text.
I used a combination of these images as reference for the fur shine and leg anatomy.

I'm quitting Chickensmoothie as of May 2018 so I won't be able to answer any questions on this species, but please rest assured that I will not be coming after anyone for using this.
This is a 100% open species and I give anyone who cares to use it full permission to use it however they want. Onsite, offsite, drawing, adoptables, free, sales, redo the lines, tweak the lore, make your own subspecies for all I care. Whatever it is you want to do with this, go nuts. As far as I'm concerned, sabels are public domain. Have fun.
Last edited by a snoozing skerple on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
a snoozing skerple

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Open species; Sabelhest

Postby Rescue2001 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Mark are there any rules
My Art Shop
I am a Breyer and Schleich collector along
with other brands of all sizes - mainly horses
looking for UR bengal (ultimate dreamie)
b-day is Jan 3rd, I'm a Capicorn♑

Rescue2001

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sprig » Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 pm

crying at the beauty of these ; o ;
sprig

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Mon May 22, 2017 4:23 pm

Woah!! Amazing!

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Amymay99 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:00 am

Maark

It doesn't matter how negative something is.
Just add "LOL" and it'll automatically become positive! ❤︎

Female | RWBY Fan | Anime Addict | Danganronpa Obsessed

Hiya, my name is Amymay99 but feel free to call me Amy or May. I enjoy volley ball and ride horses whenever I can. I am an animal management student and love reptiles and own many of my own.
I love cartoons, anime, manga, films, TV and games, i am obsessed with Danganronpa!

Little Lizard Stables | Norrsken Horses | Kuma-Ferrets
Amymay99

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby demonthief. » Wed May 31, 2017 6:52 pm

mark.
demonthief.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ms.Shine » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:01 pm

Mark
My tablet is broken and I borrow my little sister's when I get the chance. Sorry for any inconvenience
Ms.Shine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Medd-Lee » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:37 am

Aaaa mark
unnessecary links wrote:Characters(old, LOL)
My SMWs(closed)
Flight Rising(idk why)
3k+ Chickens(active!)

Hi! I'm Medd! They/them please.
I am sometimes hard to reach on CS! If you need me quickly try Toyhouse(Medd-Lee), thanks!
Most links are outdated, sorry guys!
Medd-Lee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby dvnc » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:36 am

mark