NA

 [Discipline >>>>> ]
 [Shows Entered > R: W: E:]
 [Shows Won >>>> R: W: E:]

 [Ej > ] [Ep > ]
 [Eh > ] [Ws > ]
 [Wp > ] [Wt > ]
 [Rf > ] [Rs > ]

Last edited by Expresso. on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Characters | Trades | dA | Art Shop
ImageImageImage
I'm on a hiatus :'(
Expresso.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

First Touch

Postby PuddlebyOnTheMarsh » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:59 pm

My little herd was coming along nicely but there was one thing I really needed to consider it complete, a stallion. So here I was at the agency again. I had usually just glanced into the area where they were kept because I'd always considered stallions as loud and uncooperative if not outright dangerous. I had friends that had them, of course, and some of them seemed really sweet. I just couldn't get over the impression that those were exceptions to the rule and any stallion I picked would end up turning out as uncontrollable and wild.

Strolling through the area though, I found my preconceived notions to be largely unfounded. On average, the stallions seemed much the same as the girls. True there was rather more spirited bounding around and vocalization but nothing like I had expected. This was going to be fun.

Such a wide variety of colors and patterns. I was torn as whether I should pick a color that would compliment or a contrast with my little herd. Here was a stunning boy, basic brown and white pinto but with pink highlights. There was a nice dapple gray. The orange one there was truly exceptional but he had an odd gleam in his eye. One or two even made overtures of friendship and I more than willingly obliged by rubbing ears and scratching necks. I guess I could get both, one to match and one really "out there" but it wouldn't really be fair to the stallions. I mean, how would they share three mares? I could always find a stud if I really wanted some variety. So far I had seen several truly handsome boys but they didn't strike me as being especially sociable. I know I could probably make friends eventually but, with my limited time, I would really prefer to not have to spend months simply getting to the point I could touch my stallion. The ones that were especially nice didn't really strike me as having colors or patterns that were what I really wanted. I saw one fellow up for auction that I really considered. He was a lovely blue pinto and fully trained to boot but I finally decided I should look for something slightly different.

I was beginning to think I would have to re-think my plans when I saw the one. He was a blue pinto as well but so very different. The marking around his neck almost looked like a bow, like a proper gentleman. The color of his legs shaded to near black on his back feet but his front were white. I couldn't help but imagine him with black shoes and white gloves. I couldn't help but grin, all he needed was a top hat to make the picture complete. He was calmly regarding me from a few feet behind the fence. It seems I had made up my mind so I noted his tag number and went to fill out the paperwork.

The following morning found me eagerly awaiting the trailer delivering my stallion. I had stopped in to order his name plate immediately after leaving the agency and picked it up on my way into the barn. Now it was gleaming in the early morning sun on the door to the stall I had prepared. I had made sure the girls were in the pasture so they would know when he arrived but not be underfoot while I was getting him settled. I checked my watch as I polished the name plate for about the 10th time. My stomach growled to remind me I had forgotten one thing, breakfast. I rummaged round my desk for a snack and had just found a small pack of Biscoff when I finally heard the sound of the truck pulling up outside. I slipped the cookies in my pocket and headed toward the main door. By the time I got there, the driver had already extended the ramp and was leading the gorgeous boy to his new home. After signing the slip I accepted the rope and walked him into the barn. I could hear the girls sounding off outside. Introductions would have to wait just a little bit. I wanted my new Nera to myself a few minutes and also give him a chance to get comfortable.

When I slipped the lead over his head and released him in his stall he simply stood still for a minute, ears swiveling and nostrils twitching. After making a complete circuit of the area he stopped by the door where I was leaning. I realized the one thing I forgot was a treat then I remembered the cookies. I tore open the pack and held one out to the stallion. He sniffed it once then delicately took it from my hand. As he munched, I slowly reached out to stroke his neck. "Welcome home Clovis."
Last edited by PuddlebyOnTheMarsh on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
PuddlebyOnTheMarsh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

First saddle

Postby PuddlebyOnTheMarsh » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:54 pm

(no idea how that last one got so long)

The next morning I let him run in the corral so everyone could meet each other. Chia was the first to stick her head over the fence and say hi. Clovis returned her greeting with a head bob but didn't close the distance between them yet. The stallion's reserved manner seemed to encourage Iris enough that she moved closer and ...chuckled? burbled? Honestly, I had no idea how to describe the sounds Nera make but she made a happy noise and Clovis answered in kind. All this time Skhiz was monitoring the antics of her herdmates and the new boy. She didn't seem the least bit afraid, more calculating and weighing her options. Before long the stallion had moved closer to the first two girls and they started getting to know each other. After nearly twenty minutes he lifted his head high and called out to Skhiz with the strangest, shrillest sound yet. The wildly patterned mare finally made up her mind and responded by moving close enough to stretch out her neck and sniff noses. By the end of the day I had let the handsome fellow into the pasture and everyone was joyfully cavorting about like they had been friends from birth.

Later in the week I started getting Clovis use to the saddle. I figured I should take it slower with a potentially excitable stallion.I started by storing it outside his stall and moving it out to the fence rail while the Nera were out exercising. At first he would give it a wide berth, hugging the opposing wall in the barn and not even getting near the odd contraption. He definitely suspected something was up. After a couple of weeks he finally started ignoring it completely so it was time for the next step. I made a point of riding one of the girls past him a few times a day. The first time I did this he gave us both such a checking over it was comical. He seemed mystified and when I dismounted, he sniffed us both as if to confirm we were still separate entities. I left her tacked up in the corral for a few minutes to let them converse while I closed the barn door then went for a short ride. Next time he wasn't so much startled as curious. I did this for a few days then actually saddled them in his presence before taking off in the pasture.

Well, today was the day. When I removed the saddle from Iris, I hung it on the rail near Clovis then carefully transferred the saddle pad from her back to his. He started slightly then examined it for a minute, sniffing and even tasting a little then he seemed to accept it as non dangerous. I stroked his neck for a while and considered. That went so well I had to try though I might be pressing my luck. I picked up the saddle and laid it on his back, quickly securing the main straps. At this he paced off a few steps and proceeded to try to check out the whole thing. Poking with his tail hand, twisting his head around to the left and right. At one point he even ducked his head between his front legs in an attempt to get to the strap under his belly. I couldn't help but chuckle at the sight. First saddle, check.
Last edited by PuddlebyOnTheMarsh on Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PuddlebyOnTheMarsh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

First Ride

Postby PuddlebyOnTheMarsh » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:38 pm

As the days went by I saddled Clovis at least twice a day . By the third day I started putting a little weight on the saddle, leaning casually on it during the process. When the weeks was over I could practically lay across the saddle with little reaction. At this point I admitted to myself I was procrastinating again. Somewhere in the back of my mind it seemed I was still a little timid about riding a stallion after all. Next time I had my boy fully tacked up and ready to go I stuck my toe in the stirrup and swung aboard before I had time to talk myself out of it. Clovis quickly paced forward a few steps, stopped and shook slightly as if to rid himself of a rather large pest on his back. When I stayed put, he turned his head around, set his teeth in my pants leg and gently pulled. Hanging tightly onto the saddle with one hand I reached in my pocket for the Biscoff cookies I always carried when I was working with the stallion and held it close to his nose. He stopped tugging and sniffed but left his teeth firmly clamped on my jeans. I could practically see him waffling between ridding himself of me or having a sweet. I released the saddle and patted him on the neck. He finally made up his mind and released the fabric to take the tasty treat. I gave him a second cookie and slipped out of the saddle then gave him a good ear rub.

It was short but it was technically a ride. Maybe tomorrow I could even get out of the corral. (I had better buy more cookies though.)
PuddlebyOnTheMarsh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me