hair by That's Offensive

Based on Click to view
Artist That's Offensive [gallery]
Time spent 25 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
37 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

hair

Postby That's Offensive » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:02 am

ok Imma try my best to explain this but for me its mostly feeling at this point^^"

1. keep the hair line and head shape in mind, the hair needs to cover the head and depending on hair thickness and curls the hair might be much bigger than the head shape. also be mindful of ears and noses, if you're drawing thin straight hair the ears might poke through a bit and the same goes for a nose if there are bangs involved.

2a. bangs start at slightly above the hair line and curve down, some hair might be tucked behind the ear and it will show like a curve going from hair line to ear start line. in this example Im using straight hair with a clean cut, try to include some stray strands of shorter hair pointing out, fewer if long hair and more if short hair, keep gravity in mind. long hair will lay flat and have less stray points because it's heavier, short hair will have more strays and be slightly puffier even if you're drawing straight thin hair.

2b. when hair is put in a bun or pony tail there will be a small puff by the hair line, it will not lay completely flat against the head unless it's a veru tight pony tail of thinner hair. some hair wont be long enough to reach the pony tail so always draw some strays near the forehead, around the ears and lower neck. the put up hair will go towards one point on the head where you choose to put the pony tail.

2c.wavy hair that hasnt been cut for a while has more strays and less straight lines, even if its long it will be more wild than the straigh clean cut because of volume waves and damaged ends.

3a. straight clean cut hair goes in one big wave, the tips are a mix of small pointy shapes and curved squares.

3b. in a bun not all the hair will be the same length, some wont complete the loop and the hair that does will point out after the loop. in a short hair pony tail there isnt enough hair for it to be pulled down by gravity, it will point straight out of the head in a spiky mess. long pony tails will start out like a smooth bend down and poof out a bit by the end, some hairs are shorter and spike out at the top.

and lastly, look at real life references/pictures and practice because honestly those are the two most important tips for art in general ^^

Hiya! ^^
Im That's Offensive but you can call me El or Frog if you want to, I use they/them pronouns but I dont really mind she/he pronounce. Im a swedish artist that has been hanging out on CS since 2015 and this place really feels like home, this site and the people on it are really important to me~
have some questions for/about my characters? // need art tips?
to find some more art by me you can message me for instagram, flipanim and TH links ^^"
That's Offensive

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: hair

Postby L U C I F E R » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:18 am

This is super helpful, thanks so much!
L U C I F E R