the truth hurts ... don't fight it ...

Postby chunkypeanutbutter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:22 pm

-
-
-
                username: chunkypeanutbutter
                name: hoa - vietnamese - 'like a flower'

She made a promise, a promise that she was determined to keep.
The time had finally come for the young kalon, and this time she was going to be ready.

---

Hoa felt the bus tremble as it rolled across the unpaved dirt roads, and heard the lonely clutter of luggage banging around in the back. She glanced down at a crumpled note she clutched tightly in her hands, and then watched the city slowly dip beyond the horizon as she folded it neatly into her bag. As the bus finally lurched to a halt at its last stop, she thanked her driver and stepped out into a wave of heat. The old machine blew hot dust at her as it sped back off to civilization, and Hoa made the rest of her journey by foot.

The village was just as she had last remembered it, full of bustling life and song. Children played out in the streets, tagging and chasing each other, taking breaks only for mothers calling meals out. A guitarist strummed faintly from down the street and fathers were talking and laughing by their cattle. Hoa felt her heart swell with joy as she came upon childhood friends and distant family, all very happy to be able to see her again. Making her way through the town, she finally came upon her childhood home and knocked on the door.

She heard a few meek footsteps inside approach the door, and slowly unlocked it. Inside a tiny, huddled frame stood her mother--a woman who had once towered over her was now a head shorter. They quickly embraced in a hug that seemed to last for years, and she was ushered inside to talk about her new life.

Listening intently to every word, a shaky hand clutched a small cup of tea as Hoa told her everything she wanted to hear.. They chatted about her schooling, her profession, the friends she'd made, if any of them were husband worthy. Not just yet, Mother, but they just laughed regardless. The city was great, but it could get a bit lonely there. Although there's more people around, there just isn't the same kind of community connection you could get here. Money's great, but it's not the only thing you need in life.

The house had always been a bit crowded, that was just the only way to survive around here. Most houses held 4-5 families in the village, if money was strapped it was more. Privacy was a very rare thing around here, something Hoa had completely forgotten about growing up now understanding how cramped it felt in here. She frowned a little, and thought for a few moments.

Hoa thought hard about the paper she'd been looking at on the bus, and decided to pull it back out one more time.

"Listen mother... I know it's been an awfully long time since we last met up to have a chat. I just want you to know, I've been thinking about this letter you sent me a few months ago and I use it as inspiration."

She pulled out the note, and it reads:

Dear Hoa... my little summer flower.

I hope you are doing well in the city. I know it can be hard, going away to college, going away from your family, but we want to remind you that we are still here standing by your side. No matter what you do in life, you should take everything life throws at you and try to spin it in a positive. Our opportunities to be in your shoes were taken from us, but I am so proud of you for doing what you're doing right now. And we could never be happier to see the first one in our family to get a college education was you.

We know you're going to do a great job. You're a brilliant young girl and don't let anyone put you down.

Love,
-Papa and Mama

As she had been reading this, Hoa pulled out a small white box that tinkled when you shook it, handing it to her mother. Upon opening the box, a look of confusion crossed her face until she realized what it was. And then, she about fainted.

Her mother threw herself into Hoa's arms and wept, not as a cry of sadness but of pure joy for what had been in the box was nothing more than a yellow house key.

She then pushed the key back into Hoa's hands, and shook her head while wiping the tears away.

"But..." her mother stuttered, "This is... far too kind of you... we don't deserve this, I--"

"You have, though! You have more than earned it, for raising me and all my siblings and doing such a great job. I want to give back to you," Hoa insisted.

Her mother sighed, and looked at the ground. "Well... to tell you the truth, the real reason is... your father's gotten really sick."

Hoa looked at her in shock. Tears... slowly dripped from her face. What does that mean..?

"The doctor is here every night," she explained. "He can't move from his bed at all anymore. We are both too old to enjoy it anymore... although I would have loved to be closer to you." her face was wet with tears.

Hoa tried to rationalize with her. "No, no, it's okay! You can still come and move in near me. It's totally fine, we can even get Papa to a proper doctor, maybe--"

Her mother shook her head. "It's far too late now... your father is a very stubborn man. I don't think he'd ever want to move to the city, anyhow..." she sighed. "He prefers to pass in this house, near family and friends... he doesn't have much time left at all.

"I'm so sorry, Hoa. Thank you for the gift..."

(978 / 1000)

Last edited by chunkypeanutbutter on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
chunkypeanutbutter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Anniversary Adopt | Ruby -- July

Postby QueenAxolotl » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:06 am

Username: NurseGlowButt
Name: Rosa
Gift: a stuffed yorkie doll
Why?
Rosa was blessed to have grown up knowing her great grandparents. Her granny was a kind and hilarious kalon whom Rosa held dear, and her Pawpaw was a stern and gentle grandpa who always had a twinkle in his eye when Rosa danced to his old music.
They also had a pet yorkie named Lucy who they treated like royalty- always having her nearby and always playing with Rosa and the elderly couple. Together, the four of them always had smiles on their faces
It was always a tranquil time whenever she was with her grandparents and Lucy, but things wouldn't always be as peaceful.
Rosa's granny had started to get extremely sick, constantly staying in the hospital with Rosa's pawpaw by hid wife's side, and poor Lucy having to stay at a kennel since dogs were not allowed in the hospital. There were times where pawpaw had to go home, leaving granny all alone in an empty hospital room, too sick to even move.
Rosa's granny had missed spending time with Lucy, Pawpaw, and Rosa again, but their little family couldn't be complete while granny was in the hospital and Lucy in the kennel, so to make her granny feel better, Rosa had went down to the gift shop to look around for something to keep her Grandmother less lonely.

Within the friendly gift shop, Rosa's eyes had landed upon a little stuffed yorkie that looked just like Lucy. It was perfect! 'Now it wasn't really Lucy, but having the toy was sure to lift up Granny's spirit enough for her to fight whatever was making her sick and come home to the real Lucy!', Rosa thought. So without hesitation, Rosa had bought the toy and quickly made it up to the ICU where her granny had laid.
Rosa had made it up when she had heard the bad news; her granny had decided to give up the fight and would be transferred to a hospice house. Rosa had broke down crying, pulling the toy out of the little bag and presented it to her granny
"Granny, please! Don't give up! Lucy is waiting for you to come home! Get better and come home and things will be the same as before!" She nearly shoved the little toy Lucy in the dying senior's paws. There wasn't a single dry eye in the room as Rosa's granny hugged the toy.
Later on that day, dying senior was taken away in an ambulance to a hospice house where her every want and need will be met until she finally passed, the toy yorkie not leaving her side.
During her stay and her final moments of life, the unknown disease disorienting her, making her truly believe that the toy was her beloved Lucy.
It was a hard night, as every breath brought the senior closer and closer to the end, but she wouldn't pass until everyone was out of the room and leaving her alone with the toy that she clung onto.
By the next morning, she was gone, still holding onto the makeshift replacement. It was a hard time for the other three of their broken family. Pawpaw nearly shut down all communication, Lucy would frantically look around the house for granny, and Rosa couldn't stop crying for a long time. As for the little toy Lucy, she was cremated with granny.
It would take a long time for the family to open up to their pain, and would end up laughing and smiling about how in the end, granny felt like she had her whole family together and decided to get cremated with the toy.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
[ my viscets ]

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xart trades are open!
xAsk me about commissions!
xMercy main!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

xxxImage
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ credit ]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
QueenAxolotl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spirit23Wolf » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:41 am

Username: Spirit23wolf
Name: Nala
Gift: A Silver Pendant With A Wolf On It
Why? [1000 words maximum, 100 words minimum]
Pet's name: Everest (Thank You KIONO)
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
Spirit23Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby snubbulls » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Username:
opossum prince
Name:
Korynn
Gift:
A jar of origami stars
Why?
Checking her backpack again, Korynn sighed. The jar was there and unharmed. She had been checking about every ten minutes all day, and she knew that her fear was unreasonable, but she didn't care. Korynn had been working on this for weeks, folding more and more stars until the mason jar was full, writing on the inside of each of the stars a reason to be happy. It had taken almost two months to fill the jar, and she had finally finished that morning. It had been time consuming, but 100% worth it. Now she just had to give it to her August, her best friend since they were young.

Korynn slung the pack back onto her back and continues the walk to August's home. Arriving at the door, she smiled, knocking gently. When August opened the door, Korynn thrust the jar into her paws, grinning from ear to ear. "I-I made you this!" she stuttered slightly over the words, hoping that the confused looking kalon would like it. August looked down at the jar and smiled. "Thank you!" she replied, "But what's it for?" She knew it wasn't her birthday, or any holiday that she could think of, and she certainly couldn't see why she was getting a gift.

wip!!
| millie / millipede |
| any / all | adult |
❤ metal ❤ re7 ❤
❤ 70's slashers ❤
sharks ❤ clowns ❤
❤ monster high ❤
snubbulls

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoosea » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:14 am

Res xc
June aka Zoosea

✧About✧
Shy⭒Timid⭒Awkward
I'm very friendly! ^^
I love animals and drawing.

✧Commissions✧ Closed
My C$ Art ShopClosed
✧Requests✧

My KalonsTH
zoosea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby joji » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:37 pm

Username: joji
Name: aje (ah-shay)
Gift: a sonnet
Why?: she adores writing! she isnt that good at it, but that doesnt matter. aje is always looking for inspiration to do what she loves and the biggest source of that has to be her girlfriend, cleopatra. what else does such a perfect being deserve other than the most raw form of the love aje can express?

cleopatra my love, my joy, my pride
quite literally, nothing could compare
how much love can one vow to win your heart,
physical things will never do, so
i express my love with this dumb poem
i wouldn't leave you if it meant the world.
eight more lines i must fill with passion,
what else is there to say, just i love you
i contradict myself fourteen is not
enough, because my heart yearns for your return
four more lines to go, i think i know what
to do, for when you see this, i wont know
what to do because you fill my life with
light, ill never ask for your departure
joji

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Neon sparks » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:54 pm

Username: Lieutenant sparks
Name: Mable
Gift: homemade pancakes
Why? [1000 words maximum, 100 words minimum]

Mables gift is homemade pancakes for her father. all her life she has cooked with her father. she had been taught everything she knows about cooking by him. he's getting older now and starting to forget things. so for fathers day she wanted to remind him of the good times, they shared together cooking. ever since she was probably three she's been very interested in cooking, especially when her father was in the kitchen. watching him do it made her want to join him even more. he spent a lot of time with her there and it was a highlight of there time together. when she was in her teens they started working together to make breakfast at a local soup kitchen. helping others was a passion of his, he took a lot of his time being there and was excited to include Mable as well. some of there most popular breakfasts were pancakes of all kinds, blueberry especially. she started joining him on Sundays and made lots of friends working there with the other staff. her father eventually retired from working there, but he wasn't happy about it. so to make up for it Mable started coming to see him extra early every Sunday. she would make breakfast and visit with him. this time, however, she wanted to make it special. using his old recipe she made his blueberry pancakes from scratch, hoping to impress him. he was very proud of her, and it made both of there day.
Last edited by Neon sparks on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xXXXXXXXXXXzzzxxzXXxxxxxxUsed to be Lieutenant sparks

xx
xx

┌──────────────────────────────┐
xxxxxx| my toyhou.se | | my Deviantart | | Commissons are: Open |
└──────────────────────────────┘
┌──────────────────────────────┐

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
└──────────────────────────────┘

xx
ImageImage
Neon sparks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mean&gay » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Username: mean&gay
    Name: katherine [kat]

kat is pretty much constantly buying her girlfriend little gifts, but this one time she decided to splash out on something particularly special; an electric guitar. a bright pink one, to be exact. her girlfriend had been going through a rough time, and it was no real special occasion, she just figured the girl could use a pick-me-up. that, and her current guitar was looking very worse for wear. and oh, the reaction when she handed over the gift. it's something that kat will never forget. her smile, the way she hugged her like there was no tomorrow- it prompted her to buy many more gifts in the future.
mean&gay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby anxious ghost » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:08 am

res
╔════════════════════╗
ghost // they/it
nonbinary // queer
ghostkin // otherkin

just a gay lil ghost
not very active anymore

sig by me
╚════════════════════╝
anxious ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Northstar. » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Username: Northstar.

Name: Gemma

Gift: Life

Why?: (997 words)

Time is a fickle thing. It passes in blinks and breaths, with every beat of your heart, with every single step. Sometimes... it's mud seeping through the cracks. Thick, dull. Eternal. Dry, dirty flakes that you chip off bit by bit.

She doesn't understand the concept of 'not enough time.' She can't; not as she looks down from Here where nothing dies.

She's bored- always bored with nothing to do. Weighed down by the title of Guardian since birth with feathers tickling her spine. Earth is so small from here, the beings like ants to her fuchsia gaze. She flickers across the globe until she's wandering golden fields.

Something... calls to her. A foreign feeling that tugs in her chest. Turn around. She does. A tear-stained, tiny face stares. She doesn't understand why the minuscule kalon is leaking; it isn't worth her time. There's that tug again.

"Why are you leaking?" she questions- toneless as cold stone. The strange sobbing noises stop as the small face with golden curls sees.

"I-I'm sad," the child says, swiping at blotchy cheeks.

"Why?"

"I'm l-lost and can't g-go home."

Her gaze sweeps beyond the field. A house sits there; and a frantic woman searching. She can hear her calling out... For Olive.

"Olive," she murmurs, turning the child in the right direction. "Home is there. Go."

ImageImageImageImage

Guardian. She still doesn't understand the term. There is no purpose- no reason.

Why? Time is stagnant.

A blink passes, a breath.

She flickers.

The fields are glittering white. Why did she come here? Something tugs. She looks.

Someone is knelt in the snow before a woman with blonde curls. Olive.

She catches words from the air and holds them in her palms.

"Honor - Marry me - Love - Forever-"

"Yes!"

The couple's laughter is like sunshine as he spins Olive in dizzy circles.

And she wonders... What is love?

ImageImageImageImage

Another blink, really a half because looking down from Here is tedious. The fields are golden again. The porch beneath her bare feet creaks.

She sees the shaking shoulders, an arm clutched around a stomach, the heaving breaths that catch and tug. Olive walks right through her. Lines tug at her features, lips drawn down harshly.

Olive buries something in the yard and plants a sapling. Her husband arrives as the sun touches the horizon. He holds her as she sobs. He cries quietly, murmuring.

She holds her palms out and catches the words from the wind.

"It's alright - sweetheart - health - kits -"

"Love you - Love -"

"-Love."

The tug in her chest feels funny. It almost hurts. And she wonders... What is love?

The next time she flickers to the field there are five saplings in the earth. No more appear after that.

ImageImageImageImage

She questions the other guardians of love.

What is it?

But they are just as stone-faced as she and hold no answers.

ImageImageImageImage

Flicker.

Olive laughs as she smashes cake into her husband's face. They chase each other through the golden fields.

Flicker.

A picture moves on a small box screen, Olive feeds popcorn to the dog at her feet while her husband snores on the couch.

Flicker.

Olive's husband runs around the yard, chased by a stampede of puppies. She laughs at him from the porch.

Flicker.

She discovers Olive's husband is called 'Tony', though Olive also calls him 'oaf', 'goof' and 'loverboy.' She notices the grays that streak both of their hair, the lines that gather around their eyes. She notices time. It seems to move faster, sweeping these two that she's watched down the river... Olive loses her sight, her mobility, but that laugh of hers never fades... Until...

Until...

Flicker.

The sky is crying. She's never been here while it cried. Why does it cry? Is it sad? Is it lost?

Something tugs. She hasn't felt it in so long. It pulls her to the ring of trees on the edge of the field. There is something in the center. A stone.

Olive sits beside it, dripping mud and rain; her umbrella forgotten beside the grave.

The woman she has watched since childhood is broken beyond repair. Her soul is jagged. It is an ugly thing- the fragmented and warped edges that no longer fit. A soul should not look like that. Something in her chest tightens uncomfortably. She lays a hand gently on the sodden silver head of the broken soul, the glow it casts unseen to mortal eyes.

Olive looks, unseeing, to the sky. Rain peppers her face with soft kisses. Her smile is bitter, broken.

"I miss you, loverboy," she whispers, frail fingers digging into the grass. "I love you."

Her hand pets the silver strands on Olive's head so softly. Why does love look like pain?

ImageImageImageImage

She doesn't leave Olive's side, not as the old woman struggles and slowly grows weaker. She doesn't understand the sickness that festers inside. Olive should have at least another half-blink's worth of time. She doesn't understand.

Olive withers, dims.

All alone. Why is no one here? Does she not have family? Kits?

Breaks.

And something inside her starts to break, too. Why?

But there must be something she can do? Why else be called Guardian? Why else be?

ImageImageImageImage

"Impossible."

"Old."

"Dying."

She cannot accept this.

"Is there anything? Anyway? Anything at all?"

. . .

. . .

. . .

"There will be pain."

"Anything."

ImageImageImageImage

Olive hobbles down the steps of her home, cane taptapping at the ground. She's found a renewed sense of energy. A storm raged through, no doubt decimating the fields. The wind howled like screams but she hasn't felt pain since it passed.

A sound catches her attention.

"Who's out there?" she barks. The voice that answers is from a dream.

"I'm lost... And can't go home."

Why is that voice familiar?

Home is there. - Fuchsia eyes - lost.

... ... ...

"...C-come inside, dear.." Olive murmurs, unsure and hesitant and eyes suddenly so young.

As the old woman ushers the girl inside, she places her frail hand on the guardian.

A guardian who traded feathers... for life.
Northstar.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me