Artist ShadyBro [gallery]
Time spent 51 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
6 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

SWE-RE 104 - Blood Bay / Birdcatcher Spots & Somatic Brindle

Postby ShadyBro » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:37 am

Rescued from the event.
For stingray

"This special stallion was likely our most expensive rescue. An insane number of people bid on him, which we found out afterwards was due to his amazing background as a show jumper. Likely most of these people were interested in a backyard breeder with fancy lineage however, because he isn't jumping much now a days. In fact, he couldn't even quite walk right - his front right leg was broken. In the auction house workers wrapped it tight with cloth while it was still just a fracture, but the moment we went to load him up into our trailers, the fracture quickly turned into a break - and he collapsed into the dust. We had our vet sedate him and an emergency chopper take him straight to the facility, where we called in a fairly large team of physical therapists, equine vets, and especially a prosthesis expert. A majority voted against euthanization, and they went to work to get him set. He was put in a sling for a while and then went through two differant surgeries to fix the leg, endured hours of painful therapy, and was finally fit with a brace set into the bone with pins. The brace, designed by our prosthesis expert, includes a flexible rubber based material fitted over the leg, with thick nylon and leather straps fitted over top where the pins set through the bone connect to the brace. This keeps everything in its proper placement and prevents any future breakage of leg, as is widely common in repaired breaks. We wanted this boy to be our proof that humans no longer had to slaughter their broken horses - and he did a pretty darn good job of proving it. Even through everything he faced this stallion is as sweet as could be, and though hes a little hesitant to trust others right off the bat, he is a calm and easygoing old Walker. He will still need some work with his leg as well as a long term pain management plan, which can be discussed with your vet. His brace will still need to be worn for life regardless, and the pins will not be removable, but hopefully over time his body will fully adjust and he will once again be able to run and jump to his hearts content."

Owner: X
Show Name: Sodapop
Barn Name: Pop

Breeding Notes: Somatic tail brindle has a 5% chance of passing. Right eye has partial heterochromia (base color/full left eye is moss green, partial color only in right eye where white overlaps is glowworm green).

Halter will be added once all tasks are complete.
Last edited by ShadyBro on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
┏━━━━━━━━━┓ 
─── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──

ImageImageImage
✰Toyhouse✰
✰Closed Species✰
✰Trotters✰

ImageImageImage

─── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──
┗━━━━━━━━━┛

─- ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ─- ♡ - - ♡ -─ ⋆⋅⋅⋆ -─
ShadyBro

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: SWE-RE 104 - Blood Bay / Birdcatcher Spots & Somatic Bri

Postby stingray » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:24 am

omg omg omg absolutely stunning! i will get started on the tasks right away! Thank you so much!

i cant think of a name right now but i know it will come to me!

Name: Sodapop
Nickname: "Pops" or "Old Pops"
Reason: Lol he looked like a soda with carbonation to me and i really wanted to call him Pops!
stingray

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Task One: Finding Trust

Postby stingray » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:59 pm

It was one of those mornings where everything was frozen, cool and brisk cold. However there was no movement, not a leaf stirred, even the tall grass didn't sway and make its beautiful rustling sound. You could only hear an occasional nicker from the Tolter meadow. I paced on my front porch; back and forth I went starring down the long road and shivering once in a while. Then I saw it, a cloud of dust in the horizon, I ran inside and grabbed an old soft halter and a lead. It only seemed like i was inside for five seconds but when I went back outside three men were already attempting to lead the beautiful creature out of the trailer. Gently they tugged on the lead; the timid guy poked his head out looking wildly around and cuffed the ground. Slowly they managed to ease him out and I noticed the cast on his leg. "What happened to him?" I asked one of the males that were standing off to the side. " Old Pops here used to be a fine jumper, something went funny with his leg though' found it to be a bad break, that cast ain’t commin' off." he gave me a sad smile then went to close up the trailer. After gentle pushing and a lot of encouraging they managed to get the timid creature in a separate pasture, then they left as they came. I found myself staring at him for a while; amazed that anyone would give up such a beautiful gentle Sveldala Walkers. He no longer seemed afraid, now exploring part of the pasture. I walked up to the fence in a spot closest to him. He saw me coming and backed up. I held my hand out, "Its ok Pops" I smiled to myself, i like that name, it suits him. He looked at me, snorted and shook his head. Yet he walked forward and slowly touched his muzzle to my hand and I knew, things were going to work out fine between him and me.

(345 words)
Last edited by stingray on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
stingray

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Task Two: Medical Care

Postby stingray » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:59 pm

After a couple weeks, Soda seemed to be fully accustomed to his new life style; he no longer whined at the loud sound of the trailers or became skittish when he heard the sounds of different animals. He would let me groom him now without backing away. About time too his coat needed it. But one thing that hadn't changed was that leg, he wobbled awkwardly on it, but it wasn't exactly a limp. I decided to call up a doctor to check it out. I had the vet come to my stables; I didn't think Pops was ready to go in a trailer just yet. After the vet thoroughly examined his leg she came back to me. He went through a bad break it looks like, it has healed but you are going to want to keep the brace on to prevent future breakage, he just needs to get used to it. is what she said to me. So everyday I went out and exercised him, and I would help him move his joints on his leg to break the brace in. At first it was a bit painful for him, so we started off slow and then I eventually got him to go over a small cross jump, then a regular sized one, then the jumps kept getting higher and higher. And boy did Pops love it; it brought back an old part of him he didn't want to leave behind.

(243 words)
Last edited by stingray on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
stingray

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Task Three: General Rehabilitation

Postby stingray » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:49 am

Weeks have passed on now and Pop's rehabilitation was coming along great. I even managed to get up in the saddle with him once his leg grew stronger. We now go for rides along the beach, started out with short ones because the sand was a good workout but they steadily grey longer and longer. He was back to full health, had an owner who loved him a great place to live. The only thing missing was a companion. I know for a fact that equines are social creatures, but Sodapop wasn’t interested in the other equine like species on my ranch. But one day my goofy Australian Shepard wandered into his coral. She is a pretty black-tri named Mai-tai. And it was like love at first sight, she was obsessed with him but Pops didn’t give her the time of day. However Mai-Tai isn’t the type of dog to give up, every day she would go out at try to play with him. Either by pulling playfully on his tail or running in circles around him. I thought he would never give in to her but one day I was walking towards the tolter section of the stables and saw Sodapop running after Mai-tai. I thought he was trying to hurt her which is strange because he has never shown aggression to anyone. I was relieved to see him turn around and Mai-tai run after him like some game of tag. It came to the point where those two were inseparable; I even had to bring Mai-tai her food out to them because she would not leave his side. Sodapop has become much more social from them, even playing with the other equines but the auzzie is defiantly his best friend. I am so happy to see that this boy finally gets the life that he deserves.

308 words
Last edited by stingray on Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stingray

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: SWE-RE 104 - Blood Bay / Birdcatcher Spots & Somatic Bri

Postby stingray » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:50 pm

all tasks finished January 13th, 2017. 5:51 PM Pacific Standard Time

stingray