The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What type of rodents do you have?

Rats
27%
Hamsters
17%
Gerbils
5%
Mice
11%
Guinea Pigs
15%
Chinchillas
2%
Degus
1%
None :(
15%
None, but getting some soon!
7%

Total votes : 338

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Postby drift. » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:28 am

No, I don’t want to risk anything, especially with my 4 week old litter being around as well. I just know some herbs can benefit them and wasn’t sure about sage, so thanks! I do have a pet safe candle I use but the smell isn’t very strong and every now and then I like to freshen up the rooms. :)

I’ll move them and for about 24 hours leave them out of the room, for safe measure.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:55 am

I went to a pet expo yesterday in my city and I knew the woman that took in my boy Templeton (featured on the front page) was coming in for in. I went to go give a donation and say hi to her, and she surprised me by bringing my boy! I didn't know she was going to bring him and let me tell you, I almost sobbed.

He has developed hind end degeneration, which I knew of, but it was hard to see him struggle to move in person, but he's getting along rather well. The woman fostering him gets him out free ranging often so he can exercise so he's doing so well. His age is definitely showing, but he's as happy as ever. I spent 5 hours with him at the expo, just giving him love. He kissed me, and was boggling and bruxing the entire time. It made me oh so happy <3

Here's my Tempy having a snooze and loving the pets:

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Roleplayer123 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:19 pm

Username: Roleplayer123
      Favorite type of rodent: Most small rodents
      Tell us about your pets: Well, I currently have 1 Robo dwarf called Phoenix. He is a male, cream argente dwarf who loves to visit and give you 'kisses'. However, when we move I hope to expand his cage by buying the 189L bin at Walliemart and turning it into a gigantic cage for em! I honestly love all small rodents, and when we do move I want to get anything from a rat, mouse, or guinea-pig to hamster(s), gerbil or degu. Every of which I've named, I've researched and wanted but haven't gotten yet. I'm an small-animal enthusiast. Lol
      Other:If you own or are interested in Robo dwarves, let's talk! I wanna exchange info or perhaps learn more from others experience in a friendly conversation! Lol.
Roleplayer123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pheara » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:12 pm

Username: Pheara
      Favorite type of rodent: Rats & Syrian hamster
      Tell us about your pets: I currently own two rats. My eldest boy is name Ozone (standard ear) and he's over protective of his home and will attack our other animals that comes near their cage. My youngest boy is name Gravity (dumbo ear), he more gentle and loves giving kisses and hanging on our shoulders.
      My Syrian hammie is the sweet girl. She mostly sleeping during the day (like most hammies lol), so we don't get to see her much because she's only up when we're asleep.
      Other:
      I have had all rodents listed in your post but the degu, they're illegal were I live.

The fact that I can plant a seed and it becomes a flower, share a bit of knowledge and it becomes another's, smile at someone and receive a smile in return, are to me continual spiritual exercises.

{Dreamland Trades}*{Dreamland Avenue}*{Dreamland Falls}*{Dreamland Lake}*{Dreamland Boulevard}
{Dreamland Garden}*{Dreamland Bay}*{Dreamland Sea}*{Dreamland Auction}*{Dreamland Adoption}
Pheara

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:37 am

Welcome to the new members!

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Roleplayer123 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:27 am

Thank you for accepting me (:
So, I plan to up-size my lil Phoenix's cage (he's currently in a 370 sq in. cage with play-time/free-time daily) to a 189L bin cage for him! For anybody that has experience or ideas for/with bin-cages, do you have any recommendations for cleaning? I wanted to know if I should just settle with Pet-Wipes (what I'm currently using) or if a type of soap would work better, example, Dawn or whatever.
Thank you!
♥ Howdy there! ♥
They / them
I am your friendly neighbourhood Roleplayer123!
I’m mostly a lurker, but I’m always looking out for new characters and new roleplay partners!

On a Semi Hiatus!
Roleplayer123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby aky-mala » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:42 am

I wouldn't recommend closed bins or aquarium for anyone except for fish, and maybe turtles.... Worm bladed animals produce lot of amoniac and in closed spacees it drop to the bottom (it is heavier than air) and it can be dedly..... Animal cage need to be well ventilated and airy.... More open it is- the better. If there is no way to put wires on at least 3 sides of cage, then there need to be some air vents on sides.... (like for terrariums)
aky-mala

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:41 am

@roleplayer123
Bins are actually super great if you're on a budget and I recommend them right after a dcn or bird cage.
I'll edit in some links that really helped me out when I first got into rats (for building bins)
but the general rule of thumb is ventilation on at least three sides, that could be left side, right side, and front.
Or, Top, side 1, side 2 / Top, either side, and front. The only reason I didn't include the back is because my cages are up
against walls and that completely defeats the purpose of having the wire there in the first place.
They're fairly easy to customize imo but some owners don't like that there aren't bars to hang stuff with.

Cage Don'ts (if you want :) )
Bin DIY 1
Bin DIY 2
**Some of these will be directed at hamsters but obviously size can be changed

I hope these help you get creative! I love seeing multi-colored, decorative bin cages. Mine were always plain because
my rats are chewers and I'd have to replace them after a few months :')
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Roleplayer123 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:23 pm

@drift.
Thank you so much for the much-appreciated advice! But do you think that for extra ventilation, I could have no lid? I understand the risks, but I'd have it high up (away from our dog) and it'd buy the one with high sides (Phoenix has no motivation to climb lol but still). If not, I'll just add a vent in the roof as well.
Roleplayer123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Agent Maine(Meta) » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:47 pm

@drift.

I'll definitely need to keep those in mind, thats a really good and inexpensive idea. Especially to improve my current breeder tank/cage and the quarantine tank we have here at my house.
Do these videos show to to make levels in the bins too?
Or if clear ones can be used?

∞|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|∞

>ImageImageImage<
>Personal ryka collection<
>ImageImage<
∞|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|-|↓|-|↑|∞
Agent Maine(Meta)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes