Kite's Writing Competitions (Contest 3 Open!)

Find a competition to enter your artwork in, or create an art competition for others!
Forum rules
Art theft is not tolerated here. Do not copy/trace/edit/use anybody's pictures without their express permission.
If you are unsure, read the full art rules here.

Re: Kite's Writing Competitions (Open! End Date Oct 16th)

Postby BlueEyedKite » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:03 am

Alright. The contest is officially open c: make sure you fill out the form to apply. Any questions are welcome. And I can't wait to read stories about your OCs OuO
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Loelya » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:06 am

ohh my gosh this is such a fun and sweet idea! ^o^ I've always seen you leave such supportive comments on other people's work, and I agree with you wholeheartedly that writing is undervalued! I'ma keep an eye on this thread, might consider jumping in if I have time~ c:
ImageImage
~ and here you are, continuing on,
despite how hard it's been ~

adult || she/shey/they
"Build-Your-Own" Editables
Loelya

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueEyedKite » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:24 am

@Loelya I'm glad you think it's a fun idea T.T I decided to be the change I wanted to see lol. I hope you do get a chance to apply! Judging by your creative editables, I know you have a heck of an imagination!
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skyweaver » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:50 am

Mark! :)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skyweaver
She/her pronouns
I love horses, dogs, and hamsters:3
"Wait a minute. Wait a minute Doc, are you telling me
you built a time machine out of a DeLorean?"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Click my eggs!
ImageImageImageImage
Skyweaver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueEyedKite » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:02 pm

I am happy to report ^^ all the writing prizes went up in value! I would have swapped out if any dropped down below rare as prizes here will always be rare and up!
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Orange_Jelloe » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:52 pm

I am entering!

Username: Orange_Jelloe

Main character reference(s): Lawrence- werewolf/Protogen & Mama (Evelyn)-Silken wolfhound

Main character storage page (optional):
https://toyhou.se/15558629.lawrence
https://toyhou.se/1714190.mama
Prompt number (if 4, also give photo letter/s):
Prompt #3
Word count (must be 500 words or more): 2214
Are you using someone else's OCs in your story? (If yes, link permission): NOPE
Writing entry: She was lovely, and I meant it.
There was no one as kind, or loving, or soft as she was. I was certain of it.
I took a moment to rest my eyes on her slender frame, perched in the corner nook of the greenhouse. Her warm breath fogs up the frosted glass and the condensation evaporates only to return each time she lets out another breath. She stretches out her arms and sits up a little straighter before curling back against the glass. She was taller than me, not by much but enough to where it was noticeable, even when she was nestled into the corner like that. Her longer pieces of smokey fur were drawn up into a messy bun and covered with her signature violet bandana. But her name, Evelyn, made my heart flutter. Not many people knew her by her real name and I took pride in knowing she entrusted me with such a lovely word to call her by.
The humidity was slightly higher than usual, fogging up my screen with blurry droplets. I let out a deep sigh. Evelyn normally would change it so I could see better but I guess the plants needed her attention more today. Sometimes she would sit with me and watch the water collect on my pixelated snout, picking a droplet to race against another and smile at me whenever her droplet won. It was small things like this that made my days worth living.
Her mottled charcoal fur curled slightly, as it did whenever it rained. She has her favorite plant Steven, a small ball of moss, perched on the windowsill with her. She picks him up, swirls the water on the inside, making Steven's tiny blue Sombrero bob up and down with the waves. A pad of drawing paper and a charcoal pencil lay on her lap. I can tell she's been drawing him again.
One of my servos let out a blip. I can't help it but it's louder than I would have hoped. Unfortunately, the noise startles Evelyn. She falters only for a moment, dropping Steven slightly before catching him. She pulls his jar close to her chest in an apologetic embrace instead of letting the glass shatter to the floor, and for a second, I wish it did.
"Sorry." I mutter, taking a hand and wiping the condensation off my screen. I adjust my lenses now that I can see her more clearly, and to my relief she's not mad.
She gives me a gentle nod.
I frown a bit. It's almost 4:30 and we've barely spoken to each other today. Maybe my system was off, and I wasn't detecting her mood properly. Perhaps she was angry with me?
"Evie?" I ask softly, trying my best to not startle her again.
"Mhmm?"
"Did I do something to upset you?"
"No."
She leaves it at this, knowing I do better with more direct answers, but it does nothing to calm my circuits. Now that I was thinking about it, my nerves were tense. My digital sensors, who's familiar pale-yellow glow, began to turn red with frustration. I quietly prayed she wouldn't notice this. Although I would hate to bother her again, it's better to keep talking than to have a short circuit break from something as simple as unprovoked anxiety.
"Something is wrong."
Her ears perk up, but she does not look at me, "What do you mean? Nothing's wrong."
I frowned, she did not like to look at me whenever I was angry, which only made me more anxious. "It was not a question. You're troubled."
She stares blankly at Steven, whose hat is crooked from being shaken.
"Why do you think that, Lawrence? It's not because of you if that's what you mean."
I shake my head; a tuft of spice colored fur gets stuck on my screen, but I quickly brush it back into my mane. This makes Evelyn let out a soft laugh. I smile as my pixels emit a yellow glow, returning to a sense of peacefulness.
"You are not very talkative today, are you feeling well, or do you not wish to speak to me today?"
She holds a hand to her mouth and her eyes widen, "Oh Lawrence, I'm sorry. I've just got so much on my mind. What would you like to talk about?"
My ears point attentively to her, "What's on your mind?"
She stays quiet for a moment before shrugging in defeat. Her face breaks out into a meek smile, "All the things." She laughs at this before standing up and walking towards me.
My ears flick back, and I roll my eyes, indicating to her I'm processing her sentence, even though it's nonsense. "Yes, but which things in particular?"
"Well, for one, I am frustrated with the university's decision to cut back spending on the horticulture program we were working on" She trails off and looks at the ground.
I smile wide, "Just let me talk to them, they will say yes."
Her ears droop and her eyebrows knit together in concern, "You will do no such thing, Lawrence! You will get everyone involved in trouble."
I chuckle, "If you say no, you know I would never."
"Good."
"But if you ever change your mind..."
She shoots me a look, trying to hide her amusement with a look of disgust. Like a mother being offered a jar of bugs by her child. She must know deep down that I mean it. Evelyn's a good person. She wouldn't do anything to inconvenience anybody unless it was absolutely necessary. But sometimes being kind in a world of unkind people won’t get you far enough. Which is why I brought it upon myself to help her, even if she doesn't always notice my favors. How else would we have gotten this far? Did she think it was magic when the demolition team that came to tear down the greenhouse disappeared. Was it karma that got the rig operators who were drilling for oil and polluting her favorite beach. Or when the thief who stole Steven had a change of heart after being hit by a bus. What she doesn’t know won’t hurt her, and if I can prevent her from getting hurt by getting rid of certain things then it’s a win for both of us. I normally was hesitant to ask her how she would like certain situations to be carried out because most of the time she said no. It was only the minor inconveniences, that didn’t really matter if she said yes or no, that I actually asked her. If she tells me otherwise however, I can't bring myself to disobey, her word is the law and it's against my coding to break it.
"Was that all?"
She frowns, "Lawrence, something's wrong here at school. Don't you feel it?"
My screen freezes, perhaps in panic, maybe she actually knew what I was doing.
"Lawrence, do you know anything about this?" she mutters, gently tossing a crumpled newspaper at my feet.
I pick it up, trembling slightly. I didn't have a chance to go over the paper this morning and I feared the worst. I suck in a sharp breath and gingerly unfold it's pages, reading;
One Month Left Till Science Fair With Three Students Missing: Faculty Fears Possible Sabotage from Competing University
I knit my eyebrows together, I actually had nothing to do with this.
"I'm confused, do you think I did this?"
She looks nervous, folding her hands together. "No, of course not. I just thought you might have an idea of what's going on. I'm not on campus as much as you are, and you keep tabs on everything. Those students, they were on the robotics team, right? Weren't you kind of close to them? I just thought you... you know."
I sighed heavily, "Do you have a spare USB? I can unload some of my last files on them if it makes you feel better."
She nods, standing up in an instant. This is what must have been bothering her all morning.
"Also," I add on, while she ventures to one of the seed storage bins, "Just because I need repairs here and there does not mean I'm friends with the people who help fix me. It's like if you went to hang out with your doctor, it's just weird."
Her back is towards me, but I can tell by the way her tail droops she's embarrassed.
"Oh, right."
"It's fine." I let out a low hum, "Who's missing anyway?"
"Dean, Horace, and Ash, I think."
"Oh, that's a shame. Horace was a nice guy." I mutter scratching some of my wet fur off my screen.
Evelyn shoots me a look, holding up what must be the USB I had asked her for.
"What? He was, I wasn't being sarcastic."
"You could be a little nicer about it."
"I guess. Can I have that now?" I asked motioning to the tiny piece of metal in her fist.
She nods and places it into my outstretched hand.
I pretend to struggle taking off my faceplate. I had no problem removing it myself every night to recharge and do minimal maintenance, but this gives me a chance to delete some of the folders regarding the other, unrelated, missing people. It only takes me a second, but Evelyn seems genuinely concerned.
"Would you like some help?"
"Yes please."
I grinned as she leans down and gently separates my fur from my screen. Evelyn clicks off my face plate, exposing the mess of circuits and wires underneath. One of my internal fans lets out a whirl. Another click and my screen is completely off. Evelyn for some reason thinks that whenever my screen isn't connected to my face, that I can't see. I should probably correct her but then again, it gave me the opportunity to admire her beauty without her getting self-conscious. I focused on her sapphire eyes, messy curls, and timid smile as she gently brushed back some loose wires. Another click and she leans back, crossing her arms across her chest triumphantly. For a moment she's at peace, comfortably enjoying the silence between us while downloading my personal files, and the next her face contorts into horror. Oh great, what's wrong now.
She stands up swiftly, and sprints to some destination behind me and I force myself not to look after her. Instead, I stare blankly ahead, but I allow my ears to follow her steps echoing on the wooden floors behind me.
"Evie, are you still there?"
A quick panicked breath answers, "Yes."
My fur stands on end, "Are you ok?"
"Yes, but the monsteras aren't."
I groan, she left me to go look after the rest of the greenhouse, figures. She was probably fawning over the most microscopic yellowing on a leaf. It was natural but she insisted on keeping all the plants unnaturally healthy all the time. I was more so disappointed in myself, I had spent so much time on taking care of the garden, and Steve that I neglected to spend just a little bit more care on the greenhouse plants. Even though this was Evelyn's territory, she spends more time with me as long as the plants are happy, and if she's happy, I'm happy. I cursed under my breath and swept a hand along the back of my neck.
"What's wrong with them?"
Evelyn whimpers, "They're wilting."
"How? It's like a sauna in here."
"I don't know, I think they're sick."
That's not good, if they're actually sick then my time with Eveyln would be cut short for the day. I sigh, removing the USB from my face, it wasn't finished downloading everything, but she wouldn't care anymore. Within seconds I've popped on my face plate and reconnected my systems. Unfortunately windows 95 was still embedded in my system, letting out the classic microsoft rebooting sound which normally made Evelyn laugh, but she was too busy tending to her plants to notice. I turn around to see Evie tenderly sprinkling medicine and whispering sweetly over the greenest monstera I had ever seen. Sometimes I wish she'd look at me with as much love as she spoils her plants with, but it seems only the natural world interests her. I sigh, marching over to her side, and sure enough, one of the newer leaves is a little wilted.
She looks up at me, "Would you?"
I hold up a hand, "I'm on it."
And with that, my screen is plastered in displays of articles on plant cures. Evelyn grabs my face to read them better. It's not the kind of attention I'd like but I'll take what I can get.
Relief spreads across her face, "They're going to be ok. The soil just needs some nitrogen."
I give a weak smile, even though she can't see it.
"Lawrence?"
I exit out of the tabs on my screen, "Yes?"
"Thank you." She mutters, before giving me a warm embrace.
Under other circumstances, getting a hug in a humid building wouldn't be ideal, but Evie's made my entire day better.
"You're welcome, Evelyn."
And with that, all the troubles of the world, and missing students were forgotten.
Last edited by Orange_Jelloe on Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Orange_Jelloe - Toyhouse- etc.
Something will go here...eventually

Orange_Jelloe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueEyedKite » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:09 am

Welcome Orange_Jelloe! I can't wait to see what you write for them. Your OCs have a unique dynamic, I am invested!
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bubblegumjello » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:04 am

mark! ill come back to this after i get back from class
Imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxme:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx☆ she/her ☆adult Image
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxanime & games Image
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcurrent:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx☆ game: fortnite Image
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ☆ one piece! corazon Image
cs:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
☆ goal: complete collection Image
tradesoffsite trades Image
☆ favorite species: bunny Image
☆ cs discord Image
☆ pixels credit here Image
Imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
bubblegumjello

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DRAGONNEEZ » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:52 am

Mark
[center]♥ Fry your eyes | Artist | She/Her | Dancer ♥
ImageImageImageImage
[b]PM me for commissions or art trades!
Current Adopts:
Val's Weekly Challenge TEAM RED!
DRAGONNEEZ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby triceratops. » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:54 am

BONK mark!!
im so proud of you.

my pronouns are they/them
ImageImageImage
triceratops.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups