Artist smoothie_strawberry [gallery]
Time spent 46 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
One person likes this Log in to vote for this drawing

SFA Entry #1

Postby smoothie_strawberry » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:27 am

Username - smoothie_strawberry
Have you designed for adopts before? - Nope
Are you fairly active? - Yes (on almost every day)
Have you read the rules? - Yes
Do you have experience with writing/understanding the phenotypes? - Nope
Are you open to constructive critique/advice? - That's a yes (unless they are rude)

Breed - Irish Settler
Coat - Red

Sorry if the coat/ lines/ eyes are a bit weird <3 my main style is cartoony but i wanted to go out of my comfort zone

References this for pose Image this for the tip of ear color Image

Hope this color is right (it's not good to have criticism and not work with it <3
Last edited by smoothie_strawberry on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smoothie_strawberry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: SFA Entry #1

Postby ~HєуRєι~ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:11 pm

Its a good start! There are a few things I'd like to critique but otherwise you're on a good path with some improvement.

Style is entirely okay! We prioritize the coats being realistic over the style, though working on anatomy and making sure they are recognizable as a specific breed is a preferred thing as well (just making sure the features specific to that breed are recognizable). Just practice on that front and don't sweat it too much if your style isn't super realistic (or at all realistic- cartoony is welcome here <3).

The coat color- So the coat color you have on your entry and the one you are referencing would be considered entirely different coats in terms of phenotypes. The coat in the reference would be considered Red (Mahogany is likely a breed specific term. We use general genetic terms instead when referencing to coats), however the design you've done would be considered Fawn, which is unfortunately not seen in the breed. We try to keep coats in purebreds under breed standards or at least make sure they'd be theoretically possible under breed standards. To make it breed standard the coat color would be darker and more along red to be considered a correct coat.

I suggest if you're having difficulty with coat colors or patterns, try coloring them in on other lineworks around CS or taking a look at what SFA uses for coat descriptions! I'm of course always open to being asked questions or giving resources when needed <3

Reference used in SFA for dog genetics- x
Reference used in SFA for cat genetics- x, x, x

┌────────────────────────────┐

Hey its Rei! I have my commissions open! USD only!
I am ND and have a 9-5 job so I may be inactive
for periods of time! I'm more active on Discord (heyrei)!

└────────────────────────────┘
xxxxxxxx|c4c threadbreedingsdesign salesdesign poundsketchpage|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx《 • meet the artist • 》
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|KeldinesReturn • A Cat ARPG|

ImagexxxxImagexxxxImage

~HєуRєι~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby smoothie_strawberry » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:41 pm

~HєуRєι~ wrote:Its a good start! There are a few things I'd like to critique but otherwise you're on a good path with some improvement.

Style is entirely okay! We prioritize the coats being realistic over the style, though working on anatomy and making sure they are recognizable as a specific breed is a preferred thing as well (just making sure the features specific to that breed are recognizable). Just practice on that front and don't sweat it too much if your style isn't super realistic (or at all realistic- cartoony is welcome here <3).

The coat color- So the coat color you have on your entry and the one you are referencing would be considered entirely different coats in terms of phenotypes. The coat in the reference would be considered Red (Mahogany is likely a breed specific term. We use general genetic terms instead when referencing to coats), however the design you've done would be considered Fawn, which is unfortunately not seen in the breed. We try to keep coats in purebreds under breed standards or at least make sure they'd be theoretically possible under breed standards. To make it breed standard the coat color would be darker and more along red to be considered a correct coat.

I suggest if you're having difficulty with coat colors or patterns, try coloring them in on other lineworks around CS or taking a look at what SFA uses for coat descriptions! I'm of course always open to being asked questions or giving resources when needed <3

Reference used in SFA for dog genetics- x
Reference used in SFA for cat genetics- x, x, x

Thanks (i actually wanted to change my style for these cause i have been semi sad that i could only do cartoony) and i wanted to expand my borders. and thanks for the tips <3 !I will fix those now uwu :D
smoothie_strawberry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~HєуRєι~ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:42 pm

smoothie_strawberry wrote:Thanks (i actually wanted to change my style for these cause i have been semi sad that i could only do cartoony) and i wanted to expand my borders. and thanks for the tips <3 !I will fix those now uwu :D

Of course! Just keep practicing at it <3
i'm glad i could help!

ImagexxxxImagexxxxImage

~HєуRєι~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby smoothie_strawberry » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:01 pm

Oof the eye is wonky (had to redo that to xD cause it was on the same layer as color) just makes him more adorable though
smoothie_strawberry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~HєуRєι~ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:14 pm

smoothie_strawberry wrote:Oof the eye is wonky (had to redo that to xD cause it was on the same layer as color) just makes him more adorable though

The coat is def a step in the right direction! A slightly more saturated color and darker and it'll be closer. If you need examples of red dogs in SFA for a good direction heres a few!- x x x (tanpoint marking) x

You don't have to edit this entry of course! Its just critique/advice to remember <3
I'll be happy to see what you come with for other entries.

ImagexxxxImagexxxxImage

~HєуRєι~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery