Don't mind this by .ludicrous.

Based on Click to view
Artist .ludicrous. [gallery]
Time spent 25 minutes
Drawing sessions 2

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Don't mind this

Postby .ludicrous. » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:48 am

Note: These designs are not really meant for practice, or profit, or even for the public at all. I make these purely to destress and kill time. There will be times when each character in a pack will have full-fledged designs, lore, and personalities. There will be times where the design or lore or both will be simple or messy. There will be packs I half create and then leave to gather dust, and ones I spend an obnoxious amount of time on. But I am not looking for criticism, constructive or otherwise, on these wolves. It's really just to make me happy.

Just a cover for when I have free time and make packs <3
Base credit to Horse!
None of the designs made under this cover will be sold or given away, in the future I may allow people to claim them but for now this is for personal use only!
Art and Designing by Owl_Roast!
Base
Pack Rankings Explanation:

Alpha: The most dominant wolf in the pack, who has the most influence and responsibility among the others. Their word is law. They take care of the entire pack, and generally make all of the important decisions that affect everything. Alphas can be either gender, and there can be one or two of them total. In the case of two alphas, they will always be a mated pair. If there is only one alpha and they take on a mate lower in the hierarchy, depending on the circumstance that wolf would usually, but not always, become the second alpha. If the alpha(s) die, the beta will become the alpha, unless their fate was a death or banishment caused by being challenged either by a lower ranking or an outsider and losing the battle. If an alpha is replaced by an outsider and has a mate, the mate is expected to leave the pack with the dismissed wolf, but in certain cases will become a lower ranking or even take up the newly established alpha as their mate.

Beta: The Beta is the second in command, dominant to all except for the alphas. If they had not established themselves, then they were likely chosen by the alphas after proving themselves to be the best for the role. The beta's main job is to enforce the alpha's rules and make sure the pack is running smoothly. In the event that the alpha(s) die, the beta would usually become the alpha. Betas can be any gender, but there can only be one. If there were two betas, when the time came for a new generation to lead it could cause disagreements and violence between the betas to decide the next in line, which is why there will only be one.

Theta/Iota: The Iota are the healers of the pack, they contain vast knowledge of treating wounds and illnesses. The most knowledgeable and experienced Iota is known loosely as the Theta. The Theta is generally the eldest of the Iotas, and tasked with teaching the young and passing on what they know to future generations. The young healers who have finished basic training, the Iota, assist the Theta in gathering herbs and treating the sick and injured. If the Theta were to pass away, the Iota with the most seniority would take the spot. Healers are not required to perform hunting, patrolling, or to fight in battle. While Iotas can take a mate, shewolf Iotas can only divert from their duties from the time close to whelping until the pups are old enough to be divided into training, while male Iotas are given scarce time to see their mate and pups in between their duties, unless there are an abundance of Iotas. It is very unusual for a Theta to take a mate, and most Iotas who aspire to become the Theta have the same ideal.

Kappa/Zeta: These ranks are the titles of past subordinates (Lambdas/Etas) who have shown themselves to be capable and trustworthy not only to efficiently complete their duties but to also lead the others of their duty at their own discretion. The Kappa, or lead hunter, is tasked with organizing and leading hunting parties, making sure there is consistently enough food and that all the pack is fed. The Zeta, or lead warrior, organizes patrols along the border and throughout the territory, ensures that in dangerous events that pack-members who cannot defend themselves are defended (Such as injured lambda/etas, den mothers, Theta/Iota, or pups). While these two rankings are only slightly above the rank they take care of, having this role is a sign of talent and dependability. Kappa and Zeta technically cannot organize or order around lower rankings of the opposite duty (Ex. The kappa shouldn't organize Etas to patrol, and Zeta shouldn't organize a hunting party) unless in an emergency and/or where it would benefit the pack. Despite this, they're still dominant over the general subordinates and should be respected.

Lambda/Eta: The general subordinates of the pack. Lambdas are hunters, while Etas are warriors. The Kappa and Zeta organize and lead these subordinates on the day to day while the higher ranks are unable to do so. While not high ranks, they are generally given the baseline of respect for completing their duties, which are essential to the feeding ad protection of the pack. In most packs, being a Lambda or Eta is just as honorable as the high rankings, as without these wolves, making up the pack majority, the packs could not function properly.

Denmother/Pups: The denmothers are wolves assigned to ensuring the alpha female (if nursing) and her pups are well fed, cared for, and supervised. Denmothers, if female, can also potentially be expecting or nursing litters of her own. In these more uncommon cases, the father is most likely the alpha male, beta male, or an outsider. Denmothers with pups who are not fathered by high ranking males spend the first weeks raising their litter while also protecting them from harm of the angered high ranks. After these pups are weaned, the pack generally respects the dedication the mother has put into nurturing them and accepts them as members of the pack. While not warriors or hunters, these wolves are essential for the benefit of the new generation of packmate's survival. In many cases, the denmothers worry less of predators, which the Etas can chase off, and more worried of the harm pups can pose to themselves- such as attempting to ingest poisonous plants, or running off after a small prey animal.

Omega: The omega role is usually perceived as a ranking given to those with permanent injuries or those too weak and clumsy to complete tasks of other roles. However, the omega is really more of a loose term for the least dominant wolf than a 'role' of its own. Just like humans, wolves have a range of complex personalities, even before strength or skill, it is usually the personality of a wolf that determines their rank. In the omega's case, more often then not they are content with their role, despite its not so great perks. There have been (captive/reserve) studies that show records of large wolves, which you'd think would be the alpha, lounging or at play with the other wolves consistently, and showing no dominating behavior. They're a healthy part of any pack, as their presence tends to lift morale and keep full dominance-oriented battles from breaking out. Subordinates will likely seek out the omega if they're upset over losing a hunt or being taught a lesson from the higher rankings, which will prevent the anger from building up and the said wolf lashing out at one of the higher ranks, which could disturb the whole hierarchy. That being said, it is true that omegas typically aren't very good at leading or doing tasks, or that they just have no desire to do so. They've also been known for cowardice in the face of danger, and generally lack the willpower to face challenges.

Rank Listing Template (for me):
Code: Select all
Alpha:
Beta:
Delta*:
Theta*:
Iota*:
Kappa*:
Zeta*:
Lambda/Eta(Subs):
Omega:
Unranked/Other: