Postby Penultima » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:36 am

┌ ─ ───────────────────────────────────────────── ─ ┐
i. main page ii. information and history iii. rules
iv. breeding v. archive vi. discord vii. FAQ
viii. custom/MYO ix. artist competition
x. colors and patterns xi. shop

└ ─ ───────────────────────────────────────────── ─ ┘

"This zebra is breedable on March 25th"
Inspired by the Piasa Thunderbird of Native American folklore, this fiery zebra is quite the sight to behold! To try out for her, tell me about an obscure/little-known dragon (or dragon-like creature) from folklore or mythology! Feel welcome to add in extras to your form or pretty it up if you'd like to, but only the folklore prompt is required!

End date: April 4th

username: hellenistic
      storage thread: rolling hills
      zebra name: Nyx
      coloration: Silver Dappled Blood Bay w/ Medium Reverse Striping and Dragon Scale Striping
      genotype: Ee/Aa/ZZ
      height: 15.0hh
      sex: Mare

lineage

------------------------------------------ SSS: Foundation
      ----------------- SS: Foundation
      ------------------------------------------ SSD: Foundation
      Sire: Foundation
      ------------------------------------------ SDS: Foundation
      ----------------- SD: Foundation
      ------------------------------------------ SDD: Foundation

------------------------------------------ DSS: Foundation
      ----------------- DS: Foundation
      ------------------------------------------ DSD: Foundation
      Dam: Foundation
      ------------------------------------------ DDS: Foundation
      ----------------- DD: Foundation
      ------------------------------------------ DDD: Foundation
Last edited by Penultima on Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

She/Her - Bi - Biologist - Artist - Nature-lover - Master's student - Progressive - Unitarian

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

^ stamps by Taxidea ^
Penultima

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Senegal Event Zebra: 705

Postby Pandora! » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:43 am

username: Pandora!
storage thread: Oak Haven Stables
zebra name: OHS One For All | Zera
prompt: One of my favorite dragon-like creatures from mythology is ouroboros: an ancient symbol most often depicted as a dragon or serpent eating its own tail. The translation from Ancient Greece is oura 'tail' plus -boros '-eating'. Ouroboros is interpreted as the eternal cycle of life, death, and rebirth.

The earliest known depiction of ouroboros is from an Ancient Egyptian text called the Enigmatic Book of the Netherworld, as well as being carved onto one of the shrines in the tomb of Tutankhamun, both roughly during the 14th century BCE. It's thought that ouroboros was somehow connected to the union of Ra and Osiris in the underworld, or perhaps served as a guardian of Ra on his journey into the underworld. The symbol of ouroboros persisted into Ancient Rome (4th-century CE), frequently being found on magical talismans, and was viewed as a symbol for the cycle of the year.

Ouroboros on a shrine in Tutankhamun's tomb.

The symbol of ouroboros was heavily prominent in Gnosticism and alchemy. In Gnosticism, ouroboros is described as a twelve-part dragon surrounding the world with its tail in its mouth. Ouroboros shows up in early alchemical texts that date to the 3rd-century. In the most famous depictions it is half black and half white, likely representative of the Gnostic duality of existence, which is similar to the Taoist yin and yang symbol. Within the ouroboros are written the words hen to pan (ἓν τὸ πᾶν), or "the all is one."

1. Image2.Image
1. Early alchemical ouroboros illustration from The Chrysopoeia of Cleopatra.
2. A wyvern-type ouroboros in the 1625 alchemical tract De Lapide Philosophico.

The symbol of ouroboros appears in many other world religions and mythos. In Norse mythology ouroboros appears as the great serpent Jörmungandr, offspring of the gods, that grew so large that it could wrap around the earth and bite onto its tail. In the Bible it may be connected to the Leviathan, a creature described as having "its tail is placed in its mouth" and "twisting around and encompassing the entire world." I find it extremely fascinating how far reaching the symbol of the dragon/serpent ouroboros is across the globe throughout human history.

All information & images from Wikipedia.

Won a different event zebra, good luck to everyone!
Last edited by Pandora! on Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
▐▌

Pandora!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hellenistic » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:03 pm

prompt:

cadborosaurus aka caddy

on the pacific coast of north america rests a legend of the infamous cadborosaurus, or caddy as one reporter would later go on to call the beast. sightings first began by the Nuu-chah-nulth people in the area, traces of rock art and sculpture of the beast were left around the area, with oral stories of the beast still lingering in the area today. caddy, as the locals call it, is actually called hiyitl'iik by the natives who live in the area. the beast is described as a long, serpent like creature, with the head that reminds many of a camel or a horse in appearance. residing in the cadoboro bay, caddy became a popular way to scare local children from straying too deep into the lake, or preventing them to go near it at all. it gets interesting however, once we learn that in the early 90's, a photpgraph emerged from the early 1930's, of the carcass of the infamous sea serpent. the carcass as many had stated, had a long narrow body, with the head of what zoologists claimed to be resembling a large dog.
      x

according to another source however, even the inuit who inhabited the northern pacific coast, painted what resembled the cadborosaurus on their canoes in an effort to ward the beast off. it is also however, the native americans who inhabited the pacific northwest who had learned of the creatures would often migrate to the pacific coast once spring and summer would move in to the area.
      x

the creature resides as a popular myth today, with people still reporting sightings, and even one fisherman claiming to have actual footage of the beast as late as 2009.

Last edited by hellenistic on Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
hellenistic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bruja » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:19 pm

username: CygnusArgentus
storage thread: Forum/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=4697559
zebra name: IF We Meet Again // Symphora
prompt: Quetzalcoatl is my little known draconic of choice! The shape-shifting feathered serpent of Mesoamerican mythology, this being most often appeared as a massive multicolored serpent, often depicted with wings and a feathered crest. Quetzalcoatl was a god to the Aztec people, one of the few who did not desire or request blood sacrifices in his honor. His domains were wisdom and the winds, as well as creating mankind itself.
Bruja

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tyrant001 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:49 pm

username: Mister Hollow
storage thread: Nightwing Senegals
zebra name: Breathing Fire | Supernova
prompt: I have quite an interest in Babylonian, Sumerian, and Mesopotamian cultures and folklore, so my chosen 'dragon' is Tiamat! A little known fact about Tiamat was that she may or may not have even had a dragon-like form!! When people think of Tiamat the image that comes to mind is always the image of a dragon but the Enûma Elish (the Babylonian creation myth, also known as The Seven Tablets Of Creation) states that Tiamat gave birth to dragons and serpents among a more general list of monsters including scorpion men and merpeople, but does not identify her form as that of a dragon. However, other sources containing the same myth do refer to her as such.
I guess the trouble with dealing with ancient cultures is trying to find a solid canon to follow! It can be hard to decipher what was truth and what was fiction from that long ago, but it's incredible that we have as much knowledge about these ancient cultures nonetheless.

𝙷𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚒𝚋𝚊𝚕
💚
💜 💛 ❤️
Stream The Dream Eaters, stan Alan Wake
Tyrant001

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby thequietqueen » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:13 pm

username: thequietqueen
storage thread: Royale Ranch
zebra name: Chufi
prompt:

Some of my favorite dragon like creatures also come from Native American folklore. The Southeastern Woodlands tribes of North America have several legends regarding great serpents. Some were malevolent, like monster lizards (hanabia tcoba) and would eat the people and were feared. But others like snake crawfish (tcinto såktco) were peaceful and occasionally helped people, and these are my particular favorite. Generally tcinto åktco was described as a great serpent with the antlers of the buck that could be one of four colors. Occasionally it was described as having the tail of a scorpion or the claws of a panther. Despite the fierce sounding appearance, in stories they were typically tame. In one story, a boy climbed up one and hid in his antlers thinking he was a tree. He was alarmed when he realized what he was hiding on a great serpent, but tcinto såktco spoke to the boy and allowed him to stay and hide from his pursuers. On another occasion a boy became trapped behind a large water and could not return home. He asked the birds and turtles and alligators to carry him back but they would not. He asked tcinto såktco, who carried him safely home.
thequietqueen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cincil. » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:04 pm

username: cincil.
    storage thread: equids of royalty.
    zebra name: pyra
    prompt:

shesha, also known as sheshanaga, is a hindu mythological serpent -- he has many callings, including "nagaraja" or "king of all serpents" and is listed as one of the primal beings of creation. his name means "that which remains", from the sanskrit root śiṣ, because when the world is destroyed at the end of the kalpa, shesha remains as he is. he is said to hold all the planets of the universe on his hoods and to constantly sing the glories of the god vishnu from all his mouths.

what drew me in when i first heard of this mythological creature many years ago, was not what he symbolized but what he was depicted as. sometimes shesha is shown as a five-headed or a seven-headed or a ten-headed serpent; but more commonly as a one thousand-headed, or a five thousand-headed, or a ten thousand-headed, or a fifty thousand-headed, or a one hundred thousand-headed, or even a five hundred thousand-headed, or even as many as a one million-headed serpent; sometimes with each head wearing an ornate crown.

won a different sz! gl to everyone entering ♥
Last edited by cincil. on Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cincil.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Queen Vivane » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:54 pm

username: Queen Vivane
storage thread: The Wilds
zebra name: Serene
prompt:
Vishap - Described as something along the lines of the Leviathan (Not to be confused with the mythical species of giant sea creature or the Obey Me Character) it was often seen as a winged snake or some sort of mishmash between various creatures. It was said to steal children or toddlers and leave an evil spirit of its own spawn in place. In numerous Eastern countries, the Vishap was worshipped as a symbol of the element of water, wealth, and fertility. It at one point became some sort of feared symbol of power
Friendly reminder, AI generated pictures are not art and are actively trained on works from artists who gave no permission for their creations to be used.
Note for trades and PM's, I leave my CS tab open almost all the time for easy access. I am online but I'm not actively looking at the tab <3
Yes my characters are not actively developed, I place all the blame on hyperfixations not lining up with them.
Please don't message me asking if I'm selling or trading Closed species characters. If I haven't said otherwise? The answer is no.
HuaLian and Wangxian my loves
What I'm owed
x2 Unique Lambicorns
Queen Vivane

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Penultima » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:15 am

hellenistic wrote:

prompt:

cadborosaurus aka caddy

on the pacific coast of north america rests a legend of the infamous cadborosaurus, or caddy as one reporter would later go on to call the beast. sightings first began by the Nuu-chah-nulth people in the area, traces of rock art and sculpture of the beast were left around the area, with oral stories of the beast still lingering in the area today. caddy, as the locals call it, is actually called hiyitl'iik by the natives who live in the area. the beast is described as a long, serpent like creature, with the head that reminds many of a camel or a horse in appearance. residing in the cadoboro bay, caddy became a popular way to scare local children from straying too deep into the lake, or preventing them to go near it at all. it gets interesting however, once we learn that in the early 90's, a photpgraph emerged from the early 1930's, of the carcass of the infamous sea serpent. the carcass as many had stated, had a long narrow body, with the head of what zoologists claimed to be resembling a large dog.
      x

according to another source however, even the inuit who inhabited the northern pacific coast, painted what resembled the cadborosaurus on their canoes in an effort to ward the beast off. it is also however, the native americans who inhabited the pacific northwest who had learned of the creatures would often migrate to the pacific coast once spring and summer would move in to the area.
      x

the creature resides as a popular myth today, with people still reporting sightings, and even one fisherman claiming to have actual footage of the beast as late as 2009.

These folklore stories were all incredibly interesting! I'd never heard of Caddy before, but that image sure is intriguing! Congrats :3

She/Her - Bi - Biologist - Artist - Nature-lover - Master's student - Progressive - Unitarian

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

^ stamps by Taxidea ^
Penultima

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me