░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
Last edited by rvbytea on Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    hey! i have been on a hiatus due to school, i apologize if i dont respond quickly!!
rvbytea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

A Little Rough Around The Edges

Postby Gaycko » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:59 am

Username; Champion.
Kalon Name; Philip Kelly
Kalon Gender; Male
Age; Twenty-Eight Years
Occupation; Ranch Hand/Horse Trainer
Mood; Grumpy

Summer Beast
It wasn't just a summer job working the ranch instead it was constant, year around minus a mandatory one full week vacation off of ranch property. Yet it could be deemed the most draining time of year with scorching heat, land destroying storms, and a whole new lot of horses ranging from bad attitudes to emaciated to the bone and walking ghosts almost. With staff living on grounds, year round, the ranch is never quiet, a horrid thing for the recluse worker living on the farthest outskirts of the land. A cottage tucked into the thick of woods often the limited access spectrum of the property due to the dangers lurking inside. Philip Kelly was now on this seventh year of working the ranch, this was the first summer in which he wouldn't be left to his own in his cottage. He was to be given an incoming summer camp pre-teen to house in his cottage. An Austin Grant was all he much remembered about the incoming nuisance.

Instead of giving it too much attention Philip pushed is over his shoulder and behind him as he tugged on his boots worn out from abuse in mud, clay, manure, and all that before letting himself out of the cottage. Each morning he had about a mile walk back to the hustle of the main ranch grounds of Minnesota Valley Horse Sanctuary Ranch. The sun always was just creeping up above the wooded horizon as he'd taken the daily stroll, stopping at each pasture and greeting the horses that approached with their preferred treat. The first pasture along the Philip made path was to the three eldest mares of MVHSR. A twenty year old blue roan with a set of scarred knees, Pepper Dot, always took a simple coffee cake that Philip simply kept in his pantry just for the mare. Next in line was the two year younger half sister of Pepper Dot, a varnish chestnut roan, Jinx, who was given a few cubes of granny smith apples coated in a small dash of fine sugar. The two mares often butted heads and shoved for the treats simply while the final mare, a sturdy seventeen year old chestnut mare, Willow, always gently taking a single apple slice from his opened hand.

It was always the older horses kept towards the woods where Philip resided finding the same comfort in peace. At the center cross roads of the ranch many of the passing workers would offer a simple morning to Philip and others refused to say anything knowing it was what he just wanted. "Philip! Come here I got something for you!" Carol, a cheerful, always ready to chat women beckoned grabbing the man by his arm and dragged him across the dirt path to the barn to the left of the large community ranch house. "I know you'll just love it," she giggled pushing the oak door to the left, letting the natural light bathe the stone stable floors and awaking whatever surprise awaited inside the once pitch black building.

"Carol," Philip hissed aggravated, "What do you have this time the legendary Cebreus of your imagination? This barn is reserved for the new arrivals that come in in the next week."

She shot a grumpy grin at Philip and pushed him in, "Hush you grump. It is a new arrival a bit early I will admit, but they ones that brought them in just simply couldn't handle the beast." She chuckled. "Perfect for you, hates everyone and I mean that's your thing so do it," Carol giggled putting a hand to quiet herself and leaving the man to himself and whatever resided in the shadows of the first stall.

Even Philip had a tough time seeing in the light, the horse was blended into the dark with a glint in the eyes and hoofs on the floor and angry whinnies was all that gave him the best idea of the resident. "Not really a morning person are ya fellow? I don't blame you it's noisy around here," Philip chuckled in a hushed voice letting the door close enough that a small blade of light lit the wall behind Philip. Still unaware of what his new companion looked like he sat cross-legged in front of the stall just continuing to talk quietly.

"People really suck trust me I'm on the same side with you buddy so don't worry I promise I'm not like those other horrid people. Really though I hate loud noises so maybe you could hush a tad?" Hooves hitting the stone once again echoed through the empty stable. "Guess not."

It lasted a full round of two hours of sitting there in a cramped position with almost no movement before finally the horse had become almost fully quiet and allowed Philip to let more light inside revealing the cranky equine. An almost flawless black to midnight blue stallion paced the stall a shedding winter coat leaving him like the ugly duckling and revealing a thin frame deep scars over his legs and chest, as well as flanks. Philip could tell the stallion had a rough time with a barb wire fence and a few other unrelenting obstacles. He never stood still for much more than a few seconds before pacing and blowing air out of his nostrils, tossing his head.

"Royale, I think it's a good name for you...I mean you look pretty beat up there fellow, but I.don't blame you for not liking mornings anymore plus I bet people haven't been so kind to you either. Why don't you and I spend some time together back at my cottage and I'll keep you away from all the noise?"

A simple single snort seemed to be all the answer he needed from the stallion as Philip reached into the stall bars and let the horse sniff at his opened hand.

The seventh summer at the ranch lead Philip to acquiring a distant same species friend that would visit every other summer and a loyal ride that took a few months to work back into full trust that he'd kept as a personal job. Each summer was spent working with new troubled horses in the same gentle way he always did with a cold shoulder to those he worked with on the same speech level as himself, but he shared a special connection with each horse each summer, letting Royale be the permanent keeper, the battered stallion that gave him the relaxing rides in the thick of the northern woods.

(^^by Kait)
By me
by littlelies
by me
Personal thanks to Kait for the amazing art piece at the end of the story, you're a great friend and artist best of luck to you of course. Littlelies thanks for the piece as well it really means a lot to me that you did it. And owlie thanks for creating such an amazing Kalon. I've really connected with his character and design in many ways and have had such a hard time actually writing a decent story, I've tried so many times and finally found a decent one, still not happy with the end result as I wanted to do so much more and give you a better idea on his character, but I had to.suck it up and write if I was to have any chance at all. Thanks

Idea below, just so I always had them
Phillip Kelly works up at an rescue ranch close to the border of Canada in northern Minnesota for his Summers
-works with horses mostly
-not the friendliest kalons, often pushes others away to work alone
-always trying to stand out, look like he really doesn't need anyone's help
-works at the ranch full time, lives in his own little home hidden along the woods, but he spends his summer working with the summer set of rescues, generally very thing, frail horses that act out aggressively in fear
I hate people simple as that. The last time I remember another's company had to be when I was a young age of I would say thirteen maybe fourteen. Yet now, growing closer to thirty years old I was beginning to think it would never come back and people just weren't my thing. It's why my cottage type home resides on the edge of the valley of protection, far away from the bustling core of the rescue ranch I work, but close enough to enjoy the company of the horses, especially the newest arrivals the ones full of spark and fear. The woods are a death sentence if you get lost that's why a rule of the ranch is, Don't venture alone, without a phone, map, compass, or without a few simple supplies". Every time I roll my eyes because if those rules were something I followed I might not have met the only thing I could deem a friend in years. Still such a secret, a seasonal event that took a long bitter winter to endure to see in the summer time.
Something about the long drive up to Minnesota Valley Horse Sanctuary Ranch had drained Philip Kelly, maybe it was the fact he pushed through and drove the sixteen hour from his hometown Mayfield, Kentucky
Last edited by Gaycko on Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Gaycko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Kalon #423

Postby Discter » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:36 am

username;Discter
    kalon name; Ki
    kalon gender; Male
    how do they spend their summers?;
Ki spends the summers with his old grandmother on her farm, and generically takes care of the animals in the barn, takes care of the farm, hang with grandmother(cough, eat her cookies, cough) and say hi to his friends in the countryside. Also swinging on the tire swing on the old tree in the field.
i sold the devil my soul but he didn't know i never had one to begin with
Discter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jayus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:04 am

ORANGE
jayus

philmont scout ranch or a summer camp of some sort
volunteering?
Last edited by jayus on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Trphlthdl » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:51 am

Trixyr
Name: Emilie

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
"Now, sailors, I will be your instructor for the summer. You will listen to what I say, because what I say is what you are to do. You will be given orders, and you will follow them if you would like to stay on this boat. Understand?" The kalon in front of Emilie said, straddling the fine line between yelling and merely speaking loud. Emilie herself stayed on the quiet side, although she had a voice that could outdo the instructor's if necessary. She volunteered as the assistant instructor. With two ends of a boat, it was often necessary. The instructor often worked the bow of the boat, while Emilie preferred the stern. Emilie had been helping out on the boat every summer since she was 17, and before that she had been part of the crew.

Each year they saw some new faces, and some old ones. Many of them had aged out and found their own place, she had done the same thing. Her own place was the boat, and she would stay on that boat until she could stay no more. She couldn't age out anymore, being the assistant instructor, so it was bound to be awhile.

For today though, they had to teach the newcomers how to sail.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Sailing
Kayaking
Large bodies of water
The smell of rain
The smell of fresh cut grass
Dislikes:
Swimming
Flying
Jet-skis
Pools
Asparagus
Chalkboards

Personality:
Emilie is a quiet kind kalon, but if necessary her voice can become
very loud. She has a confident streak, which in the past has lead
her into problems, but she's learned to tame it. Emilie is also very
calm, and can handle stress or fear very well.

Small Tidbits:
Emilie has never played an instrument, and cannot sing to save her life. Despite the fact that she has no singing ability, she will still try.

Emilie has fallen off a boat only three times, and all of those three time have been seemingly without reason. During rough choppy waters, or even surprise storms, she has kept her balance very well.

Emilie has become very good at driving the boat, and does so whenever she gets the chance. Often though, she'll let the kids drive for awhile unless she's needed.

Emilie is deathly afraid of flying (but not heights), and has only flown once in her life. She intends to keep it that way.

She discovered her love of peach mango smoothies one day when she was sick. Deciding she wanted a smoothie, she began to go make one. The only fruit in the house was a mango, and the only yogurt was peach. The smoothie turned out very well, and has overtaken strawberry bananna in her list of favorite smoothies (Raspberry pomegranate comes in third).

She finds the rocking of a boat very soothing, and would someday like to try sleeping on a boat.
Last edited by Trphlthdl on Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:08 am, edited 7 times in total.
Trphlthdl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lovestruck » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:27 am

username; diamond fox
    kalon name; Rachelle
    kalon gender; Female
    how do they spend their summers?;Rachelle actually spends her summer in a soup kitchen. She's always loved to cook, and can cook with any ingredients you give her. Her kindness is what makes her choose this over hanging out with friends. She has fun, while helping people, and on her break from school too! (Most of her friends think she's gone crazy)
    Personality;Rachelle is kind and spirited. She is often too quiet for others to really listen, and many kalons take advantage of her. Rachelle has a strong opinion, but is too scared to say it. However, Rachelle is very passionate about her summer volunteering, and if anyone peeps about it, she'll be sure to give them a word or two.

lovestruck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:49 am

username; MotherMother
    kalon name; Caroline
    kalon gender; Female
    how do they spend their summers?;
Berry picking, of course! What could be better than exploring the outdoors, searching for wild berries and coming across a whole bush! Care collects the berries in a wicker basket that was woven by her grandfather. She likes to go berry picking with her friends, but Caroline always fills up her basket much slower than the other kalons. Why? Because she can't help but eat the berries as she picks them!
Of course, Caroline knows what she's doing when she goes berry-hunting. She only collects berries that she knows for sure, and would never try an unknown berry. She's very smart when it comes to plants, in fact she majors in it! All through school she had a passion for studying plant life and now, as she takes a break from school, she brings her studying of plants into the field and applies it to real life! It's not summer until Caroline has gone berry picking!
Last edited by MotherMother on Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Anza » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:23 am

dropping out! Congrats to the winner of this babe! ^^
    All these forms look so nice!
Last edited by Anza on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
costal cowgirl / law student / CS member since 2012
01/2022 UPDATE ---> I've chosen to leave the character community however,
I am keeping my closed species adopts as they mean quite a lot to me
I'm here now mostly for events
✮ ✮ ✮
Anza

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pigeon3456 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:24 am

res
▲▲▲
dm me if you want to know other places where you can contact me or where you can find my art
▲▲▲
▲▲▲
pigeon3456

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby magpie! » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:21 pm