Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

eye tutorial by fanta

Artist fanta [gallery]
Time spent 36 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
14 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

eye tutorial

Postby fanta » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:14 pm

i had a few friends ask me how i draw my eyes, so i made this to try to help them as well as others who might want to learn how to draw eyes in a similar style. there's quite a few steps, and had i written everything out, it would've taken forever. so. to elaborate on these steps:

1: try to keep strokes going in one direction, like pick a place and try to go that way. don't worry about coloring or filling every single last thing in, when it peeks thru it looks a bit better.

2: try to go for a circle or oval shape, those tend to work the best. try to keep it even, and you can play around with placement as well.

3: usually, i pick an off white color so it looks more natural. nobody has pure white sclera, even in real life. off white color will make it look better and less harsh.

4: same thing. slightly darker off white color, with airbrush. put on clipping for that layer. next, create a new layer and pick an eye color. fill in the space in the circle where it's blank.

5: shading gives depth. don't be scared to do a lot. multiply, x, and x are good shading layer settings to use.

6: do more shading, focusing on carving out the shape. try to add some on the top of the iris as well.

7: you can do a gradient with a airbrush, or just gently carve out a shape like the one shown.

8: using airbrush, pick a color that's slightly lighter than the one you have for your base eye. in a u/sweeping motion, make a U shape at the bottom.

9: select add layer mode, use the pen, and select a color. add some highlights in that u shape that you just made.

10: next, add another U shape towards the middle, and make it on a multiply layer.

10.5: add another layer on add setting, and make a couple eye shines or however many you'd like to.

11: change the color of the circle that you made in step 2. try to go for a slightly darker color, and set the layer style to multiply.
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

╔═══════════════════╗

sporadically on!

goobies!!

╚═══════════════════╝

"every day may not be good,but t
here is always something good
in every day"
xxxxcredit
fanta

My pets
My items