Dog Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dawg Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Postby Bella. » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:24 pm

Apologies in advance for bringing negativity into the chat but... I am at a loss, I don't know what to do anymore.

Mkay so I haven't posted here in a fair while but if you remember, I have a beloved maltese x shih-tzu named Bella. She is the absolute sweetest thing in the world and never wants to disappoint. But, I know this breed has a reputation for barking, and while Bella rarely barks, she " boofs" like a little quiet half-bark kind of thing (I don't know how to explain it to those who don't know what I am saying). Everytime she does it, dad will yell at her and call her over to hit her with a newspaper or a shoe or a flyswat or anything near by. I won't go into further details, that is all that is really important. But Bella knows, if she does boof and dad doesn't hear, she will cringe and come over to me because she knows that she will probably be hit with something. I hate it. I hate dad for doing it. Every single tiny little noise she gets in trouble and it doesn't make sense to me. I want to know, for Bella's sake, if there is anything I can do to train her out of this natural instinct. To give a little more information;
She is a female, desexed, maltese x shih-tzu and about 7 years old. She gets plenty of exercise, I will throw a ball around for her in the house throughout the day and then in the evening we will go for a long walk/jog. If any other information will help, just ask.
|
:

:
|
|
:

:
|
|
:

:
|
|
:

:
|
-•-○-✿-❀-✿-❀-✿-○-•-

┌────────────────────┐
aquarius • she/her • infj
├────────────────────┤
𝙰𝚗𝚒𝚖𝚊𝚕 𝙲𝚛𝚘𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚐-𝚒𝚏𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐
𝚈𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜

├────────────────────┤
My goal on CS is to collect
all of the pets. I'm at
97.6%
at the moment!
└────────────────────┘

-•-○-✿-❀-✿-❀-✿-○-•-
Bella.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Peppercorn » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:27 pm

Is their anyway i can convince the rest of my household members to let me have a dog? I have a cat and fish, they should "no no no the dog will scare the cat" but i mean, my cat has scared my neighbours labs and my others husky and terrier. I said that ill get a small breed and teach them to not fight, but then they said "guess what your cat dosent eat fish right? Your dog may eat the cat" and then i ran upstairs and thought "i could be saving a life and changing a mind" -.-
Hello there. I'm Peppercorn. I like to draw, take photos and baking. I work at an adoptable center called Pixel squirrels. If you ever need too, feel free to PM me and chat.

Feeling wrote:PM me design patterns for pixel squirrels.

coded by peppercorn (me)
Peppercorn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:05 am

Bella. wrote:Apologies in advance for bringing negativity into the chat but... I am at a loss, I don't know what to do anymore.

Mkay so I haven't posted here in a fair while but if you remember, I have a beloved maltese x shih-tzu named Bella. She is the absolute sweetest thing in the world and never wants to disappoint. But, I know this breed has a reputation for barking, and while Bella rarely barks, she " boofs" like a little quiet half-bark kind of thing (I don't know how to explain it to those who don't know what I am saying). Everytime she does it, dad will yell at her and call her over to hit her with a newspaper or a shoe or a flyswat or anything near by. I won't go into further details, that is all that is really important. But Bella knows, if she does boof and dad doesn't hear, she will cringe and come over to me because she knows that she will probably be hit with something. I hate it. I hate dad for doing it. Every single tiny little noise she gets in trouble and it doesn't make sense to me. I want to know, for Bella's sake, if there is anything I can do to train her out of this natural instinct. To give a little more information;
She is a female, desexed, maltese x shih-tzu and about 7 years old. She gets plenty of exercise, I will throw a ball around for her in the house throughout the day and then in the evening we will go for a long walk/jog. If any other information will help, just ask.

I'm not sure what she's barking at but this may give you a place to start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_l9C1yT1g
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Claw. » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:18 am

Peppercorn wrote:Is their anyway i can convince the rest of my household members to let me have a dog? I have a cat and fish, they should "no no no the dog will scare the cat" but i mean, my cat has scared my neighbours labs and my others husky and terrier. I said that ill get a small breed and teach them to not fight, but then they said "guess what your cat dosent eat fish right? Your dog may eat the cat" and then i ran upstairs and thought "i could be saving a life and changing a mind" -.-

There are a lot of shelter dogs that have been sozialized around cats and actually get along quite well with them, if you do a bit of research on shelter websites you might find one that gets on quite well with cats. Also most small breeds are less likely to get along with the cat as they tend to yao and bark at a lot of things, i know my cousins shih-tzu cross hates my grandmas cat but my springer just tends to ignore her and the other day his down stairs to sit with the cat when the shih-tzu cross was bothering her.
╔═════════════════════╗

Hi I'm Claw!
She/her pronouns
This sig is a w.i.p

xxx xxx xxx

╚═════════════════════╝
Claw.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bella. » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:26 am

Imzadi83 wrote:I'm not sure what she's barking at but this may give you a place to start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_l9C1yT1g

Hmmm that kind of helps, there are times when I know something will happen and she will bark - such as someone coming home and she hears the noise of the car. But it is mostly just random quiet little "boofs" and I am not sure if she is hearing something that I cannot, it seems to be unprovoked.
|
:

:
|
|
:

:
|
|
:

:
|
|
:

:
|
-•-○-✿-❀-✿-❀-✿-○-•-

┌────────────────────┐
aquarius • she/her • infj
├────────────────────┤
𝙰𝚗𝚒𝚖𝚊𝚕 𝙲𝚛𝚘𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚐-𝚒𝚏𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐
𝚈𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜

├────────────────────┤
My goal on CS is to collect
all of the pets. I'm at
97.6%
at the moment!
└────────────────────┘

-•-○-✿-❀-✿-❀-✿-○-•-
Bella.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:27 am

Peppercorn wrote:Is their anyway i can convince the rest of my household members to let me have a dog? I have a cat and fish, they should "no no no the dog will scare the cat" but i mean, my cat has scared my neighbours labs and my others husky and terrier. I said that ill get a small breed and teach them to not fight, but then they said "guess what your cat dosent eat fish right? Your dog may eat the cat" and then i ran upstairs and thought "i could be saving a life and changing a mind" -.-

There is a lot of work into getting a dog and not all dogs and cats fight. We had our cats before we had dogs and the dogs grew up with the cats so there is no issues there. If you're looking at getting a full grown dog at shelters, make sure to ask the people there if the dog has ever been around cats before considering him or her. Some shelters do test that and social them with cats, some don't, the one where I live don't. On the convincing part, if your parents don't want a dog, there could be many reasons. Bringing a dog into a house isn't cheap, regardless of the size. Will you be paying for the vet bills and food? Who will be walking and training the dog? You have to take these into consideration. The thing with my mother is that if we get a dog, we have to be ready for one and my job is to train and walk them. So for convincing, probably try and ask them why they don't want a dog, other than having a cat, and what responsibilities you will be doing with said dog. Hope that helps. My beagle is decent size and she cuddles with the cats, the dachshund plays with them. The two big dogs just leave them alone.
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jazi » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:16 am

Museatron wrote:Oh, random question Jazi.
Where did you get Creeds backpack? I got one for Link today, its nice and all, I just think it looks chunky compared.

I have two outward hound backpacks that I ended up giving away. I don't really like their fit on a deep chested dog like a doberman, and the packs themselves kept slipping. I have just some random offbrand pack I spotted in Christmas Tree last summer that seemed to be better balanced on the back, and thus far it seems to work for us.

I'd caution against buying a backpack for Link for a little, though. Creed's pack is our service vest and the only things he carries in it are my wallet and my travel heart monitor. Our boys are a bit young yet for true pack work, plus they'll both develop some amount of chest before they're ready and by then the packs may not fit anymore.
Jazi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .muse. » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:34 am

Last edited by .muse. on Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ~*~ Muse ~ They/Them ~ Adult ~ Nerd ~*~ Image
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
.muse.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cn_spots » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:38 am

Photos and points got posted :3 hard copies should be here in a few weeks or so but I couldn't resist saving them now.
Breed and probably my favorite picture.
Group 2 placing Saturday he was so ready to go back to his crate
No pictures from Sunday the judge disappeared after judging. We won the hound owner handler group and earned enough point that captain is now #3 in the breed OH.
cn_spots

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satans__lover » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:54 am

Why must collars i like cost an arm and a leg D:
Even costing so much i would rather pay a fair amount for something i know will last as too something that costs $10 and falls to bits. (For you guys in the USA im not sure around what prices your collars are but $10 it cheap crappy stuff over here).

Dobe owners,
What collars do you have for your dogs?
Im always interested in to whether dobe owners have leather collars, standed collars or martingale collars.
Right now L has his 1.5 inch leather collar on and he also has his blue paisley martingale collar.
Auctioning off this little guy;
satans__lover

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me