My lost loves <3 by Uchuujin

Based on Click to view
Artist Uchuujin [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 8 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
2 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

My lost loves <3

Postby Uchuujin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:43 am

The mother rat in this picture is based on Shakespeare (whose nickname was Shakums) a rat that I owned when I was in high school.

Shakespeare is probably my favorite pet that I've ever owned. I loved him even more than I love my dogs, to be honest. He would sit with me while I watched TV, sometimes I'd take him to stores in my purse. He came when I called him, he knew some tricks (stay and fetch), and he was litter trained. One time I even brought him to my zoology class and everyone was admittedly freaked out by him (ignorant people who think rats are gross!) His favorite foods were cheerios and yogurt drops, although he loved to chew the buttons on the remote control! It's hard for people who have never owned rats to imagine it, but our bond was closer than I've ever bonded with a dog. His time with me was far too short, though, because he was only about 3 years old before he got stomach cancer. Even if we had the tumors removed, there was only about a 30% chance that he would survive, so I put him to sleep. The vet took his body once he had died because he wanted to examine him, so I like to think maybe Shakespeare's death helped save other ratties in the future :3 Putting him to sleep was the hardest thing I've ever done, and recalling that memory honestly is bringing tears to my eyes.

I found out Shakespeare was actually a hermaphrodite shortly before s/he passed away, so s/he never actually could have had baby rats, but it's nice to imagine that this was true.

The black and white baby on the mother's back is based on another rat I owned named Mika, and the brown baby on top of the other baby is based on my rat Vancha, who was Mika's brother in real life. Mika and Vancha didn't get to live very long, I'd only had them about a year before they both got pneumonia. Vancha died almost immediately, but I kept Mika alive with some vet care, although he didn't end up making it either.

So this is my little tribute to them :) I've had many rats, but those three were my favorites.

The daddy and other two babies are completely fictional, though.

┏━━━━━━Image━━━━━━┓
Curently...
reading ★ No Stone Unturned
playing ★ Overwatch 2
watching ★ Tokyo Revengers
feeling ★ anxious
═══════════════════
about me || my characters
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛
Uchuujin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: My lost loves <3

Postby Nimrod97 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Daw I want a rat so bad, sorry about your little buddy
I love you Misha :'3
Want To Role Play With Me? Shoot Me A PM My Charcter Thread Lynxus Aura Adopts Flying Platypus Adopts
The Below Stamp Was Made By Me So If You See It Around, WOOT WOOt haha
Nimrod97

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sketchy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:46 am

Rats never live long enough... my three girls had to be put to sleep due to reoccuring tumors and abcesses. They were only 2.5yrs old..
I only have one of my boys left, Anx. Spazz left us in a horrible way.. He had some kind of respiratory problem.. the vet tried all sorts of medications.. eventually during one of his choking fits he passed away, and Anx promptly informed us by jumping up and down and trying to climb the cage... Poor guy.. =(
But now we spoil Anx. He gets a huge table that we set up like a cage. Made a gard around the edge so he doesn't accidently fall off(he did once before while in a box.. but he was okay. Just waited under the table until we came home). He has all sorts of boxes and fabric. He has even stopped being depressed.
He is already starting to show his age (he's about 2.5yrs now.. however him and his brother were rescues, and I never got told the actual age).

Sorry I kind of went off on my experience too...
I wonder if there are any rat-breeders out there who specialize in trying to breed long-lived rats...
!Please do not demand art from me, it will be ignored!
No matter how "nicely" you put it. I'm not an art-slave.

*Thank you Spotty <3*
Click on Skertchy to see her
page(includes more pictures!)

Sketchy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nimrod97 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:51 am

Yeah I wish rats would live longer that would make them even better, I have a hard time when my pets pass away. I had a cat and she lived to be 3 months old, i only had her for a month. She ended up haveing parvo we think, and she died the worst death i have ever seen in my life.
I love you Misha :'3
Want To Role Play With Me? Shoot Me A PM My Charcter Thread Lynxus Aura Adopts Flying Platypus Adopts
The Below Stamp Was Made By Me So If You See It Around, WOOT WOOt haha
Nimrod97

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me