Benliadar's entry to the Yami tribe by ButterflyChaser

Based on Click to view
Artist ButterflyChaser [gallery]
Time spent 3 hours, 9 minutes
Drawing sessions 8
19 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Benliadar's entry to the Yami tribe

Postby ButterflyChaser » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:09 pm

I wasn't sure I wanted to enter at first. The background story is very interesting. Unlike various stories and species I've come across, the plot of this story seems like something I can see myself writing and get involved in. There's a lot I can take out of it and develop further.
Just for fun I colored one in and saved it without planning to post it, but as I was working out details on the saved file, the character introduced himself to me. His story soon story developed. I've not done a roleplay before, so this would be an interesting experience if you chose to invite my character into the pack.

I believe this form to be mostly complete. I may still edit a few things here and there. Note: I took out the in drawing form because my handwriting is really bad, even with smoothing on. I hope that is okay.

Name: Benliadar
Tribe: Yami
Personality: stern, harsh, conflicted. Ever since he murdered a Hakari healer, he's been left questioning himself and wondering about the morals of his tribe. Even so he remains loyal to Kuro and will kill. He slaughters out of a sense of duty, more than passion. He is well aware that the consequences of leaving his tribe are harsh. He will not leave. Nor does he want to give up his position of leadership. Being older he fears that his followers may be plotting ways to kill him and take over. He is a paranoid ____. (You fill in the blank.) He will treat his soldiers harshly if they disobey him. Trainees he treats with disdain. To him, they are fresh meat. They are too young and weak to be be useful for experienced combat. They still may be useful in settings where numbers may count. To join his army a young soldier has to prove him he/she is worthy. Even then he may still shun or let his soldiers take care of him or her. To be truthful, part of him envies the trainees, their innocence (whatever that may be in the Yami tribe) and naive nature. If a trainee wins his heart, he will avoid showing it and act outwardly harsh. Part of this behavior is to avoid becoming attached to someone who is most likely going to die at some point and upset him.

He also does his best to hide his feelings and his conflicted emotions over the tribe's ambitions.
He wears the skull of a Hakari warrior and a mask from one of their healers. (or he at least keeps the mask with him if he doesn't wear it.) The mask has special meaning to the Hakari tribe. It is carved of wood in the shape of a Buffalo skull with three long feathers attached to it. It symbolizes sacredness and honoring life. None of which the character practices.
http://www.shamanicjourney.com/article/ ... -abundance

He isn't aware of the meaning or symbolism behind the mask. The mask also holds powers. The powers in the mask are what is left from the Hakari healer who made the mask and empowered it. The power in it is much weaker, after the one who created it died, but it is still enough to heal and protect the wearer in battle.

Quotes:
To an enemy wolf in battle: "I've lost everything that matters to me. Why should I care to spare you that trouble?"
To a rowdy soldier: *snarling* "Shut up! Kuro is speaking. Make one more move and I'll bite your head off!" *barks and snaps mouth forcefully*
To himself looking up at the night sky: "What does it matter? Why do I feel so tortured? Why do I have to feel? Why do I have to remember? Great dark spirit, why can't you just take that all away from me?"
To other wolves: "Feelings are curses. To feel is to be weak. Throw all other feelings away and focus on one, the only one; anger. Anger is the most powerful. It is the only useful emotion. It will guide you to strength, to victory."
To his army: "The enemy is approaching. Remember your training and each of your strengths. Let's not forget their tribe is weak minded. We hold the power and they know it. let's teach them to respect us. We shall defeat them easily."

To a trainee trying to join the army: "You scrawny little thing! You think you have what it takes to be a soldier? Ha! Go home kid, become a healer! That looks like your kind of work." "Oh you still want to join? Prove it! Don't come back to me until you can show me a skull of a bear or something, not smaller than you. And something you killed, not just found."
To another trainee: "Go away! You're wasting my time trying to act tough! Oh and I doubt you killed that bear you're wearing."
To another one: "We are looking for serious warriors, not wannabes."

Appearance: Benliadar's color is iridescent and shimmers. His base color is a near metallic silver. Because his fur is iridescent, parts of his body can look purple or blue, sometimes even greenish, depending on how the light strikes him. His fur texture is uneven from burns and scars, many of which he has gained in battle. Parts of his fur are graying from age. When Kuro marked him as one of the Yami tribe, he dug especially hard to make sure Benliadar knew his place and where he belonged in the tribe. The wounds nearly cut to his bones. Benliadar's outer markings are charcoal rubbed over his fur. His eyes are bright fiery orange with some yellow. When he is enraged, his eyes shift to dark glowing red-orange. When he is sad, tired or ill his eyes drain to a light yellow shade of orange.

Main Element: Stone. Though for whatever reasons, he doesn't use it. Perhaps the reason has something to do with his past. The tribe where he came from didn't believe in using elements and never developed those abilities. They prided themselves with using just their strength alone. He prefers to use his superior physical strength. He's worked very hard to achieve that strength. He is able to resist and render most elemental attacks useless. (all but light.) This forces his enemies to use their physical strength to fight against him. I imagine as he grows more corrupt by the dark spirit, he will likely learn to use his elemental ability and perfect it.

Accessories:
    1.Wolf skull and jaw. (from a formerly top ranking Hakari soldier.) He keeps the two pieces strung together so he can wear it over his head as a helmet. It protects his head in battle.
    2. Fur from another one of his kills stitched onto the skull. It fits over the neck, giving him a very thick ruff.
    3. Mask. It is carved out of wood and shaped like a buffalo skull. He earned it from killing a Hakari healer. He wears it on top of his skull helmet.
    4. A bright yellow decaying feather pierced on his left ear. This is sadly...the only thing that remains of his former self; before his heart became stone, before he joined the Yami tribe, and before he was corrupted. It was a gift from his daughter when she was just a pup. They worked together to hunt down a small bird. After they thanked the bird for giving up its life, they ate it and kept two feathers. She gave one feather to him to remind him of how much she loved her father. He gave the other feather to remind her how much he loved her as his daughter. She since has grown up and was later murdered with the rest of his former pack. He has since forgotten he wears this feather. It just stays there in his ear, out of his sight, fading and breaking apart as time passes.
    5. He doesn't wear much else. On occasion he may wear various bones on his body to intimidate his enemy or participate in ceremonies and rituals in the Yami tribe.

Art of Your Wolf: Image
You will lose...Every one of you! I will make sure of it! I've spent years training our army and we are ready. My soldiers are in top shape. We have the power of the night on our side. Oh, you don't believe me? See this skull, Shiro? This was one of your most prized warriors. Ha! Now he sits on my head! And one of your best healer's mask sits on top of your warrior's skull. Once Kuro finds the secret to eternal life, nothing will stop us! You may as well give up and join us. That is if we feel like being merciful. I certainly don't.

"So you think you can stop us? Just try, I dare you. Or are you a coward? My soldiers and I will be the last thing you shall see!"

Annoyed at one of his trainees...

(Yeah I know, he looks different in every drawing. Yay for consistency, lol. Note: the different color bases; blue and purple is intentional. He is iridescent. The charcoal markings can fade and get reapplied. I still view myself more a writer than artist but I'll keep practicing at it.)

Brief (or not) History:
He belonged to another tribe originally. He was one of their respected leaders, either an Alpha or a Beta. His tribe got into a fight with another tribe and he was the sole survivor. He also lost his mate (and possible pups?). Upset and devastated, he wandered off and survived by himself for a few years. His heart became hardened. At some point, Kuro finds him and accepts him into the Yami pack. He is valued for his superior strength and fighting skills. After he proves himself, as a fighter and a leader, he takes the position of commander. He follows Kuro's every order and sees to it that everyone else in the pack follows those orders as well. One of his abilities is seeing strength in others, especially his soldiers, and assigning them to the right tasks. He views Kuro and many of the other pack members with mixed emotions. He is glad to be accepted into their tribe. He values Kuro as a leader, but after a certain incident he is left questioning his leader's motives. Sometimes he wonders if Kuro has the tribe's best interest in mind. Regardless, he tries to push those thoughts aside and continues to follow his leader.

Misc: How he views death: He doesn't care much about his own life. Heck, he wants to die. He'll gladly give up his life for others. He will also gladly fight to the death if he has to.

In battle: He is strong. He can easily pin enemies down and rip them to shreds with his claws and teeth. Agility is probably one of his weaker areas. Being older, he doesn't run as fast or jump very high. Not being able to control things like wind and fire can also be a hindrance, but he can stand his ground and resist many attacks quite well. When he gets into fighting, he can get so focused, he loses his mind and will only stop when his enemy is dead.

Love: Since he lost his mate, he couldn't care less about developing relationships. It may or may not stop others from trying, but their advances will likely go unnoticed or at least completely ignored. Excessive flirting gets him grumpy.

Humor: He gets annoyed if anyone tries to joke with him or play pranks. He will harshly punish anyone who plays a prank on him. Minor jokes he may find amusing, but he hates to show it. He also finds it funny if others are naive and get themselves in trouble, for instance if a pup tries to knock down a hornet nest. He will find it very funny to see the pup get stung in their own folly, but he usually resists laughing aloud. I dare anyone to make him laugh. Go ahead. Try. I dare ya!

Story:
"How much blood must it take? Do you truly feel happy with yourself?" The voice seemed to radiate from the mask left on the ground in front of Benliadar's paws. "I hope you feel joy. I hope you feel joy seeing others suffer. It seems to be what you've made of yourself." The voice echoed through his mind. It was an angry, harsh voice. "I've seen you. Some day I hope that your heart will be broken again, set free from the hardness you made of it." The voice ended. There was a scream of pain.

Benliadar remembered it vividly. The healer laid motionless after he slashed her throat. Her words angered him. Why her words angered him so much and why he killed her, he couldn't remember. Only that she was in the way. Her whole tribe was in the way. After all, they banished Kuro. They had no interest in everlasting life. They have to pay. It was Benliadar's role to make them pay.

"Why do I want to live forever?" grumbled Benliadar softly under his breath, "I'll only be haunted by memories and pain." He sighed, regretting he said that. What if any of the other wolves heard him? He could be charged for blasphemy. Heaven forbid Kuro found out. But still Benliadar couldn't figure out the big deal about living forever. Really who wants to eternally be tortured with memories of losing their loved ones..or...the guilt..of...murdering other wolves's loved ones? Why would he want to be haunted with their cries of pain? Why did he have to care so much? Heck they are enemies. Soldiers aren't supposed to care about their enemies. Benliadar felt angry with himself for even letting his mind go this far. He forced himself to change his thoughts. There was another battle coming up. He needs to get sleep. After all a sleep deprived commander can't be any use in battle. His soldiers needed him. Benliadar shoved the mask away and tucked his head into his paws. Snoring, he soon fell asleep.
Last edited by ButterflyChaser on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 37 times in total.
Looking for: Halloween 2019 pets. I have tokens but missed the trade in times due to no internet access the end of October.
ButterflyChaser

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: An Entry

Postby DrawingMongoose » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:28 pm

OMG, this. Is. Awesome.
Namida no nai sekai nimo sono hashi wa kakari masu ka ?
Kabe ni kizamareta rakugaki wa dareka no ji ni yoku niteta
Kanashimi wo toozakeru koto de kimi wa hashi wo kakeyou to shita
Keredo ima kasa wo sutete me wo tsuburu
DrawingMongoose

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Benliadar's entry to the Yami tribe

Postby diamonds;; » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 pm

I love this. Good luck.
▅▅▅▅▅ ▅▅ ▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅ ▅▅ ▅▅▅

.....Image

looking for a literate role-play.
    ... finish off literate forms ....
diamonds;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Benliadar's entry to the Yami tribe

Postby ButterflyChaser » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanks. I enjoyed creating this character. I do hope even if I don't make the top 3 in the contest, that my character can be chosen to join. If not, it won't be the end of the world. I probably won't continue him in this form, but I'll keep his personality and traits in mind if I want to create another character.
Looking for: Halloween 2019 pets. I have tokens but missed the trade in times due to no internet access the end of October.
ButterflyChaser

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me