Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

My Little Toast <333 by tinydoodles

Artist tinydoodles [gallery]
Time spent 34 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
7 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

My Little Toast <333

Postby tinydoodles » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:32 am

Guess who got a fish today? Guess?

Okay, I'll tell you: ME! I'm so happy 8D I was originally going to get a black moor goldfish, but I doubt the woman there would have sold it to us. She told us that they need a 29 gallon tank or bigger -_- I barely even have space for my tiny 1.5 gallon one D:
So, I got a beta <3333 My dad knew I really wanted a black moor but i couldn't have one, so he let me get a snail too C: I named the betta Toast and the snail Waffle 8DDD

But, I was wondering if there's anyone out there who's been successful owning betas? I want to see if there's any way to lengthen my Toast's life. And, do bettas ever change color? He was bright turquoise when we brought him home, and now he's a really pale color with whitish/pinkish fins o.o; I'm Google-ing that now.

Reference.

P.S. Yes, his top fin is curly. Seriously, it is.

~Snickers
Code: Select all
                                              *                                 *
          *     __                   *
   *        ,db'                                                *                     *
          ,d8/        *                                               *
          `db\            *                               *
            `o`_                    *                                              *
                                  _                ___       _.--.
          *                       \`.|\..----...-'`   `-._.-'_.-'`
                *                 /  ' `         ,       __.--'
       *                          )/' _/     \   `-_,   /
                                  `-'" `"\_  ,_.-;_.-\_ ',
//---\/---------__--/-------\\-------- _.-'_./----{_.' ; /----\//--v-----//---\/---------__--/-----
                                     {_.-``-'         {_/

tinydoodles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: My Little Toast <333

Postby Shy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:11 pm

I'm an unsuccessful Beta owner. D:
Apparently the store I bought it from sells bettas when they're old. -__-; Apparently because they have more vivid colors. I had perfect Ph, no ammonia, etc. It died of old age 8 days after I brought it home. ;n;

Beautiful art, by the way.
`
`

..trades | she/her | help

https://open.spotify.com/track/5QRAfvKPyQpwt897Jc0glg?si=B3Ik8vQhTb-J5uU4UijWGA&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A3j90eFnVFEYzOVt024QCTf
Shy
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tinydoodles » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:13 pm

Aww, I'm sorry :C That really stinks </3

Thanks C:

~Snickers
Code: Select all
                                              *                                 *
          *     __                   *
   *        ,db'                                                *                     *
          ,d8/        *                                               *
          `db\            *                               *
            `o`_                    *                                              *
                                  _                ___       _.--.
          *                       \`.|\..----...-'`   `-._.-'_.-'`
                *                 /  ' `         ,       __.--'
       *                          )/' _/     \   `-_,   /
                                  `-'" `"\_  ,_.-;_.-\_ ',
//---\/---------__--/-------\\-------- _.-'_./----{_.' ; /----\//--v-----//---\/---------__--/-----
                                     {_.-``-'         {_/

tinydoodles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lotion14 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:55 pm

my sister has/had a betta named walmart.........oh,and I also placed a bid on the shiney red panda....

sorry,just thuoght I should let you know :D
lotion14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueHeart ❤ » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:11 pm

Betta's are awesome pets. I have one, his name is BerryCakes. X3
(a drawing I did of my pretty boy)

As for yours he may turn brighter once he settles into his new home. Occasionally fish do loose a bit of colour when their stressed (aka being introduced to a new home) So give it a bit of time. Also to help boost his colour buy food that specifies as such. Also make sure your feeding him betta specific food, and not just a general tropical flake as betta's do require certain things in their diet that other fish may not. Blood Worms have also been known to help boost colour, though more of a reddish tone. I feed my guy both pellets and blood worms and he'll eat both no problem but LOVES the blood worms. He rushes to the front of his tank every time I get the canister of them out lol.

Anyways...as for boosting his life just make sure his water is free of any heavy metals or chlorine. (just buy a water conditioner, sold anywhere they sell fish/pet store) Also make sure to test for PH and ammonia levels like Shy mentioned to make sure he isn't "burning" lol. Keep an eye for any signs of illness of course (go online to search for symptoms if you think something is up.) AND a filter/heater doesn't hurt either. My guy has a heater, filter sleeping cave and multiple decorations to hide/play in. His tank is 5 gal, and he has it ALL to himself.
Despite what many pet store ect people say betta's are better off in bigger tanks and NOT those pitiful bowls/tiny tanks that they sell.

Anyways LOVE your drawing. Also that's awesome that your betta has a curly top fin! I've seen it, but never owned one that had it.
━━━━━━━━━━━━
𝕁𝕖𝕤𝕤 ∾ 𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝕙𝕠𝕓𝕓𝕪𝕚𝕤𝕥/𝕨𝕣𝕚𝕥𝕖𝕣
formally known as MoggyWolf

active ∾ PM's always welcome

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Characters Art Shop
━━━━━━━━━━━━
Sig art lines by: SpindleSpice
Colour/Edits by Me ~
BlueHeart ❤

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rainbowtail » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:53 pm

Shy wrote:I'm an unsuccessful Beta owner. D:
Apparently the store I bought it from sells bettas when they're old. -__-; Apparently because they have more vivid colors. I had perfect Ph, no ammonia, etc. It died of old age 8 days after I brought it home. ;n;

Beautiful art, by the way.

:( Maybe it was caught with cyanide or something? Poor beta!

Great picture! I really like the colours you chose ^_^
Rainbowtail

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hae » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:19 pm

I use to own two black Moors, they're great, a lot different to other gold fish. One was called bubble and the other one was called twilight. Thing is, none of them lasted as long as the other goldfish i've had, they both died of swim bladder.

I think a Beta is much better as they are a more hardy fish. I think you'll find that the colour your fish appears is because of the lighting in your tank, because i know a lot of my fish looked a lot brighter in the shop.

Congrats! i love the drawing and i love Beta's wish i could have one :D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SHINee , Super Junior and EXO- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Image
Kpop Tumblr {x} || My Tumblr {x} || Characters {x}
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ImageImageImageImageImage
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I need you and you want me, 지구란 이 별에서 - Exo, History.
Hae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Krueger » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:29 pm

I had two fish. One was a black moor and the other was a comet. They both lived in a medium fish bowl (no where near 29 gallons!) and they lived happily for about two years. Then they died. Sniff.
I am creating a new account as this one was hacked.
Krueger

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PhantomHawk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:19 am

I've had some bettas, they are typically hardy strong fish, and can live through almost anything (my mom just keeps ours in unfiltered unheated bowls, not the best). They are tropicals, so they do best in warm temperatures (~ 76*F), and they are more active in warmer temperatures. Bettas are also curious fish, so you can move any objects you have in the tank around every weekish or so to entertain them. The snail is nice =) but careful, if you get more than one they reproduce like crazy!!! They will however, kill other fish or bettas in the tank since your tank is so small and bettas are territorial.

For the color, bettas changing color is normal. sometimes they change back to their origanal color, or they just continue changing. Personally none of mine have ever changed, and I have had around ten bettas (three here today).

Bettas generally live to around 4-5 years. I have had one live 11 that I got from my friend (she was moving and couldnt take him). The best way to keep them healthy is provide clean water (not tap water it has chlorine, you need to put speical fish tablets in it to make it okay for the fish), feed them right, and they just kinda do their thing. Some live longer than others (its genetics), but you can never really tell.

Good luck with waffle and toast =)
(cute names =D )
Image ImageImage
If you have any questions, pm me!
PhantomHawk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PhantomHawk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:26 am

The reason you need a larger tank for goldfish (of any kind), is because they are carps (a type of fish). They grow huuugee. Comet or Common goldfish grow up to around a foot. There are black moores over 20in long. You CAN keep them in a smaller tank, but they will be stunted and not grow. They grow only if they have room to grow. (Stunting shortens their lifespan.)
Image ImageImage
If you have any questions, pm me!
PhantomHawk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me