Forum rules
Note: This forum is only for contests that have prizes. If you just want people to edit your drawing, post it in the Editable Oekaki forum!
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

MFA Magic Competition - WINNERS by kiwipen

Based on Click to view
Artist kiwipen [gallery]
Time spent 2 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
One person likes this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

MFA Magic Competition - WINNERS

Postby kiwipen » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:07 am

Hello everyone!
My magical eye species universe is expanding, and we need more magics to accommodate for that! If you prefer to participate in this magical eye competition by designing a paragon Hearthoot...now is your chance!

Information
You are allowed to make up to three entries for the competition.
You may make your entries on Storkie, Littleheart, or Hearthoot lines, but in this particular canvas you must make Hearthoots.
You are designing an entirely new magic type for this competition; none of the existing magic types!
You're designing Paragon Animals; creatures that completely and totally embody their magic types and have mastered them far beyond your average animal.
These can be Paragon Animals with entirely new magic types; or an 'alternate' expression and coloration of an existing magic type. Here is a post explaining how alternate magic types and expressions work. Click Me!
This is also a chance to create your dream Hybrid Magic, if you prefer!
With each of your entries, you're required to introduce your magic type, what it does, and what it looks like.
In addition, I will be judging your writing alongside your art; write about your creature, talk about how they embody their magic and why they've earned the role of Paragon. There's no writing minimum or maximum; it's up to you to write what you feel is appropriate. You can add more information about them, and their magic, to your heart's content.

New to this round: If you include the necessary information that is required for the website, or at least some of it, we will provide extra credit, use your writing, and provide bonus rewards (see the bottom for those rewards). Doing so will heavily increase your chances of your magic winning.

Bonus Content & Rewards
Bonus Rewards are gained only if entry is chosen; however, they provide a bonus chance of being chosen.
Magic Domain: Providing a properly filled out Magic Domain will net 100 Copper Coins.
Leveling Guide: Showing how magical skills progress throughout the leveling will net 150 Copper Coins.
Gifts, Divine Gifts, and Accessories: Boons to your Creature, both tangible and in-roleplay, they can earn or purchase from their Paragon. Divine Accessories are exempt, as a second Paragon for purposes of canon lore will be made. -- You earn 30 Copper Coins for each Gift, Divine Gift, or Accessory conceptualized.
Magic-Specific Prompts: Create a magic-specific prompt for someone to answer when leveling this Creature. 10 CC per Prompt submitted.

Do not include History, as that will be filled out by Kiwi when creating the lore for how the magic fits into the world.

Rules / Designing Tips
You're allowed to edit the lines as much as you'd like, including to add scars, adjust height, fur, tail shape, size, length, amount, etc. There is no limit to what you can do. Custom-lined entries are now allowed!
Design Suggestion: Include a physical manifestation of their magic somewhere on their ref. Examples would be water dripping from paws for a water animal, flames coming from their eyes for a fire animal, or plants growing out of them for a plant-magic animal.
There's no limit to traits either; get wild and creative.
No heterochromia; on principle these are Paragon Creatures, who've mastered one magic to the point they embody it. Others consider Paragons the first of their kind, which means they are very unlikely to have split magic.
If you have the same magic idea as someone else, that is totally allowed; however your concept / execution of it must be entirely different.
No covers.
If you want to enter off-oekaki, make a competition entry in this forum and link it in this thread.
Make sure your entries meet CS rules.
Finally, you're allowed to make a 'reserved' entry and work on it over the course of the competition. Please draw or design something before actually posting; please do not post an uncolored Creature!
Cats you create and are finalized here are bound by MFA TOS and my Universal Species TOS. :)
Paragons created here cannot be sold for USD.

Minimum Requirements & Deadlines
You must have a fully completed design by 2/30/2023.
You must finish your writing by February 30th.
The writing portion must have a minimum of 400 words written.
These requirements are specifically to meet the minimum requirements to earn a Standard MYO.
Judging will begin March 1st to March 10th.

Rewards / Prizes
I will be choosing a grand prize winner who will win 300 C$.
I will choose 3 Runners-Up who will also win 100 C$ each.
Honorable Mentions and entries I really like will earn supplementary items fitting for their entries; up to and including Legendary, Limited, Rare magic runes, or item edits.
These rewards are not shared between the Storkie, Littleheart, and MFA version of this competition; EACH competition will receive their own rounds of grand prize & runner up winners, as long as there are enough entries that meet the minimum requirements for each of them.

Everyone entering who meets the minimum requirements will earn a Standard MYO for the species. (If you enter twice or thrice, and those entries meet the minimum requirements, you will earn extra Standard MYOs for your work.)
Those whose magic types are chosen are allowed to keep their designs.
--- In the event multiple people are designing the same magic type, I may or may not allow both people to keep their ideas.
I reserve the right to still grant winning status to those who meet the minimum requirements if I really like the magic type proposed.
Those who are not chosen or granted the ability to keep their cat designs will not be allowed to use the designs in MFA, but are absolutely allowed to transfer the design out of species or edit them to be an existing magic, and then submit them to the species.
Last edited by kiwipen on Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiwipen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: MFA Magic Competition

Postby strawberrymwilk » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:18 pm

Mirror Magic
the ability to copy other magics

┌───────┐
.............strawberry
..............she/he
.............nb lesbian
..........lavender glade
..............storage

..........art by whitehund
└───────┘
strawberrymwilk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kiwipen » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:00 pm

Closed for judging! Do not make new canvases or new posts until judging has completed.
kiwipen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kiwipen » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:30 am

Hello everyone! I want to say thank you to everyone who participated, there were some really amazing entries.
By now, all of your entry rewards have already been added to your banks. Those who qualified for their Standard MYO got it, and those who qualified for CC bonuses have received them.

Accepted Magics

There are an incredible amount of Magics that we accepted, and here is the list, across all three competitions, of the magics we accepted:

Listed Rarities are based on Storkatten.
Abyss Magic - Alternate Reality Magic - DrBubby
Alchemy Magic - Arcane/Metal - rem sleep
Alternate Faunal Magic II - Aquatic-Specialization - Aftonbuilt
Artistry Magic - Alternate Bardic Magic - ToraOkami303
Construction Magic - Alternate Earth II - minifun990
Combat Magic - New Base Magic - Private Entry
Culinary Magic - Multi-Magic Hybrid - bakuraas.
Dance Magic - Bardic Hybrid - Keryth
Destiny (Arcane/Love and Astral/Love Hybrid) - mystoxxiide
Digital Magic - Lightning/Metal or Lightning/Rune Hybrid - Paro
Insectoid Magic - Basic Magic - rem sleep
Lava Magic - Fire/Earth Hybrid - rem sleep
Mind Magic - Limited or Legendary Tier - bakuraas. with combinations of strawberrymwilk and minifun990's entries featuring two Alternate Magics; Dream and Nightmare.
Mirror Magic - Lost Tier Magic - NaCl + Strawberrymwilk's entries combined
Parasitic Magic - Universal Absent Hybrid Magic - Paro
Plush Magic - Limited- ToraOkami303
Prehistoric Magic - Many Magic Combo Hybrid - Paro
Primal Magic - Lost / Mythic Tier Magic - Private Entry
Probability Magic - Light/Trickster and Time/Trickster Hybrid - aftonbuilt
Reality Magic - Existing Hybrid - NaCl (The expansion on the entry will be used on our website, nice work!)
Reversal Magic - Renamed to Timeline, Alt Time Magic - witchingdreamons
Rift (Alternate Arcane II) - origalaxii
Summoner - Arcane/Faunal Hybrid - krazykitty00

Grand Prize & RU's - Magic Falconry Academy

Grand Prize: strawberrymwilk
judging notes;
despite needing some extra time to judge where this would go, i really like the concept put forth! i appreciate the limit being set at legendary for this magic, and also requiring paragon to do so.
also, i think the magic expression is super neat; i think the magic mirror accessory is a nice touch too.

RU #1; ToraOkami303
judging notes;
what a cute and enchanted magic idea! who doesn't love the idea of magical plushies defending their owner? i thought this was one of the most unique entries in the block!

RU #2; Bakuraas.
judging notes;
your entry was very detailed and thorough. additionally, your paragon design was truly, just, awesome. this is one of my favorite hearthoot designs to date. excellent work!

Not enough entrants for a third RU

Grand Prize & RU's - Littlehearts

Grand Prize: minifun990
judging notes;
Your inclusion of Mental Mages helping those who are nonverbal, as well as helping those with mental illnesses and wounds, were what made me fall in love with your entry. It is these particular aspects that I have also worked to include in the finalized version of Mind Magic.

RU #1; OriGalaxii
judging notes;
I think this is an incredibly cool concept, however, I couldn't find a place to put it in the lore or world of Storkverse. That being said, how you interpreted magic expression for this magic was pretty neat! The eye gradients were also a lovely touch.

RU #2; ToraOkami303
judging notes;
I think the discussion of invasive and unhealthy species is an incredibly good one; and one I enjoyed reading about. Unfortunately, I wasn't sure I could handle this as delicately as needed in this already tricky fictional world. That being said, I thought the eye designs were quite neat!

RU #3; Whovian5eva
judging notes;
I will be honest, I'm so sad this wasn't finished. I would love to see it finished in the future. I think the concept is really cool, the magic colors are fantastic, and I love messing with aura stuff for my writing and lorebuilding.

Grand Prize & RU's - Storkatten

Due to the volume of submissions for Storkatten, grand prize determinations are based on perceived effort of entries; how much time and care were put into their entries, if the idea was interesting. How well it fit into the lore of Storkatten, etc. Art judging was kept to how well your Paragon fits the theme of the magic you submitted.

Additionally, this is the only competition that generated HM's ,again due to the volume of entries.

Grand Prize: Destiny Magic - mystoxxiide
judging notes;
the inclusion of a lore comic, finished or otherwise, was what stood out to me most about this entry. i knew once i looked at that comic you would at least be in the top four. this was the primary driving factor in choosing yours for first place - the dedication to the idea enough to find a place in your own personal lore to use the magic in. i thought it was an impressive touch.

Grand Prize 2: Summoner Magic - Krazykitty00
judging notes;
i couldn't not give your entry a grand prize, either, after seeing your incredible, unique leveling guide illustrations. they add a pop of flavor while also being incredibly helpful. additionally, your unique magic expression illustrations are absolutely adorable.

RU #1; Reversal Magic - witchingdreamons
judging notes;
i am a sucker for timeline shennanigans, pondering 'what could've been' and i think this is a very interesting concept applied to storkatten. your eye color concepts, as well as how you tackled magic expression, was incredibly creative. finally, your gifts and accessories are creative, and your prompts are thought provoking.

RU #2; Insectoid Magic - rem sleep
judging notes;
the amount of detail you included in this was incredibly impressive. i spared no expense in your cc rewards for this one, and you spared no detail in your entry. additionally, this is an entry whose rarity tiers i agree with in their entirety. going out of your way to flesh out and detail an alternate domain was a nice touch; as was the sheer detail included in your leveling guide, gifts/accessories, and prompts. i think this entry, if pulled away from the competition, would stand well on it's own for a full magic pitch to the team. well done.

RU #3; Parasitic Magic - paro
judging notes;
an incredibly cool concept, the magic expression was what caught my interest. the story that was included was intriguing, and how you handled the 'parasitic' part of parasitic caught my interest. the unique eye shape and color based off of the other parent of the absent hybrid was what grabbed my attention the most for this entry.

Honorable Mentions:
Honorable Mentions were chosen based on the concepts they provided and the work they did.
HM #1;
Bakuraas. - Culinary Magic
HM Prize: x1 Limited Rune
The details in determining the focus of the cats' magic based on the magics used in making it is such a clever and unique little detail that I can't not give it it's own attention. I think this is a stellar concept from top to bottom, so, please do enjoy this little gift as a token of my appreciation :)

HM #2;
Paro - Prehistoric Magic
I geeked out over this entry. My friends geeked out over this entry. This is just COOL. Can't tell you why, but the eye color and expression is one of my favorite parts of this entry. Literally that's all I can say is that this is cool.

HM#3;
Whovian5Eva - Geometry Magic
HM Prize: x1 Rare Rune, x1 Limited Rune
I think this is a magic that has tons of potential, and I wish I could have found a spot for it. It strikes me as something that could feed well into Construction Magic, or something similar to 'math but magic'...unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to make that work. That being said, what stuck out most for me with this magic is the expression. I thought the geometric wings were really neat!

HM #4;
NaCL - Reality Magic
HM Prize: x1 Legendary Rune
Yes, this was an already existing magic. However, your expansion on it was impeccable. It went from a barebones hybrid magic to it's own fully-fleshed out domain. My favorite part of this entry is the array of different reality magic eyes you included.

HM#5;
strawberrymwilk - Sleep Magic
The amount of little graphics sprinkled around this entry are what caught my eye. In addition, I really like the colors used. I quite like how you draw Dream Magic Expression, and as yours was used in the making of the final Mind Magic & Dream Magic Alt Magic domains, I want to honor that how I can ^^

C$ prizes will be sent out shortly. Please accept within a week.
HM Prizes will be banked promptly by a banker.

kiwipen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me