Time spent 1 hour, 15 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
31 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

species concept for archaeopteryx !

Postby Mythz » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:21 pm

a little species idea for ya !!

marsupial species with seasonal antlers
      similar in bodytype to that of a ferret/marten, they are primarily carnivorous and have poisonous spikes on the inside of their front legs, and the tips of their horns, however for these spikes to retain their poison they must feast on poisonous moss. this moss also causes areas of bioluminescense throughout their coat, and when the poison is active on their spikes/antlers it too will glow

most naturally-occuring colours and markings are possible, however they usually have darker extremities and a paler chest/throat. they will almost always have a dorsal stripe

they have both summer and winter coats, and colour changing is also possible, however they will each change colours in their own way. some will change to an entirely different colour (black -> brown) and others to only a paler shade (black -> grey)
      throughout these changes they will also grow or loose their antlers
      they have two sets of upper canines
      they have impeccable climbing abilities and will usually perch half-way in a tree and wait for their prey to walk beneath, and then jump down and ambush from above. while perched up in the trees their coat will mimic the bioluminescent areas of the tree.
      their front feet leave little to no footprints

the bioluminescence can cause new markings each time it glows, or can be uniform, or overtake already existing markings (e.g. they show stripes, these stripes then become bioluminescent, OR new stripes form). could be based on it's genetics??

i'd love a species that kind of suit a werewolf world which is mostly normal - something you'd see in greek/norse/etc mythology??
      or even something that appears normal but is not
      preferably something feral? although a humanoid species could work as well (something that appears human most of the time, but other times is not). or some kind of secret forest critter/guardian :thinking:
      they'd most likely be used in the novel i'm working on (or my private story world, depending on where i think they fit !) and would have proper credits to you as the creator of that species ! <3
      lmk if that'd make you uncomfy, and i'm happy to just slot them in to a private world ^^
      buuut yeah, thats about it ! feel free to claim these guys but don't feel pressured to ofc

oH and sorry for the very messy notes, i wrote them down as i was sketching these guys out

Mythz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: species concept for archaeopteryx !

Postby Archaeopteryx. » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:52 am

OH I LOVE THESE GUYS!!!! 100% claim!!
and yeah! idm you using whatever i make for a novel, i think that's awesome!

──────────────────────
it/its
─────────
Obsessive worldbuilder,
enjoyer of speculative fiction
and stories about apocalypses.

─────────
ImageImageImage
──────────────────────
Archaeopteryx.

My pets
My items