Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Return • Guides • White Spotting by Vinson

Based on Click to view
Artist Vinson [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 14 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
6 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Return • Guides • White Spotting

Postby Vinson » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:57 am

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Main ThreadFoundersCustoms & MYOsShopNurseryDiscord
Artist SearchRulesFAQGenetics • Lore & NPCs • Shows • Fanclub • Staff

Here you can find some guides and color palettes to help you out when making artist entries or MYOs for Return!

White spotting typically starts at the paws, belly, and chin, gradually working its way up the rest of the cat as the amount of white increases. The tail is usually the last part of a cat to show white spotting. Pictured on this guide are examples of mitted, low white, mid white, and high white cats. It's important to note that white spotting is highly variable - low and mid white may have the same genotype, while mid and high white may also share the same genotype. Irregular white markings may also occur: the bottom row shows irregular versions of low, mid, and high white, including haloing which shows a fuzzy edge around white spotting.

High white cats may be entirely white, but they do not share the same deafness risks that dominant white cats do. Completely white high white cats may show a small spot of pigment on their heads as kittens.

White spotting is a lack of pigment. The skin under a cat's white fur is usually pink, and white covers all other markings on a cat. White patterns develop on the skin surface during embryo development: the embryo's skin starts off pigmented, but as the embryo grows and expands, white spotting genes cause these pigmented areas to crack into so-called 'islands'. The islands drift apart, and pigment is not produced fast enough to fill in the cracks between them: these cracks form a cat's white spotting pattern.
Vinson

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me