Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Range Trotters - Hallowed Hippocamp by HowlingHooves

Based on Click to view
Artist HowlingHooves [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 5 minutes
Drawing sessions 8
21 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Range Trotters - Hallowed Hippocamp

Postby HowlingHooves » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:41 pm

spooky spooky

Adelaron stables and kennels owns quite a bit of property, nestled near a state park in the Uinta Mountain area, and on their western most edge has been a riparian marsh that, while a neat rest stop to bird watch, has mostly been off limits to anyone but staff due to the unpredictable weather in the area that often occurs, therefore causing risk for becoming lost in the area with limited cover to protect oneself from a storm. Winter is a very dangerous time here, as the wet area freezes over only so much, and falling into a deeper pool can lead to dangerous situations.

But recently there have been some odd reports from the area; fencing that has been completely sunk around a deeper portion of one of the large rivers, the wire snapped when pulled free of debris and flora. The local ranger station wasn't sure what happened, either, as the snipping of the wire wasn't made by any tools. Staff repaired any damage found, but when they returned to repair a different portion, they spotted a rather disturbing image in the river.

A horse's ears and upper portion of the head was floating at the surface, much like an alligator, eyes aglow and watching the small group. The gaze was intense, mesmerizing even, and the property owner, Serris, had to snatch one of her stable hands back before he went for a dive into the cold water! The horse, or whatever it had been, rose further out of the water, startling the group. But, scared that it would be aggressive, it instead reached out and began sniffing at the pockets of the four people, finally nosing harshly at Serris' brothers jacket, knocking a bit of jerky out. And the jerky was quickly snatched up, the creature's sharp teeth making quick work of the snack.

And it only wanted more!

After consideration on the creature after returning from their unfinished project, they headed back the following weekend to do some field research and studying from afar. Serris was in awe to find that there was an entire herd of these half horse, half fish in the marsh! And they were neither afraid of humans, or aggressive towards Serris and her group.

But they were, however, rather aggressive with each other. This was quickly learned when Sam tossed some jerky into the murky water, only for two of them to attempt to snatch it, opening a rather frightening display of aggression and nasty strikes with tail, sharp hooves, and their wide, sharp teeth. It was over quickly, but not without injury to the loser of the fight; clearly, however, the injured wasn't bothered much as it returned for more attention and possible snacks shortly after.

They also found, however, that these creatures were stuck in the marsh. The river was large in the area, but petered out exponentially both down and upstream, leaving them little option to travel back or away from where they must have come from. Winter would freeze the river over, making it impossible for them to survive in the area for very long, with fish being scarce during the cold months. If they weren't already competing over food, it would begin soon and Serris nor the area rangers wanted to discover any of them dead in the coming weeks.

So now the decision made, these creatures, dubbed Hippocampus due to the obvious similarities to the mythical creature, would be moved from the area and given to people who could care for their notably carnivorous appetites. (Fish, it seemed, but other meat did them just fine Serris noted in her journal.)

That's where the Range Trotter community comes in, coming in to adopt one of these spooky, but curious hippocampus!
Last edited by HowlingHooves on Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HowlingHooves

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Range Trotters - Hallowed Hippocamp

Postby HowlingHooves » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:28 pm

RULES
    These are a limited release adopt, and therefore individuals may only win one Hallowed Hippocampus per opening.
    Once owned, Hippocamps can be used in Trotter breedings, with the chance to pass their exclusive markings!
    Hippocampus markings can only be obtained here, and through breedings.
    Neither the Hippocamps nor their exclusive markings can be ordered for customs.
    Hippocamps can only be bred with other trotters, they cannot be bred directly to one another.

Hallowed Hippocamps will be a recurring October release, meaning that they will be opened in October and close on the first of November. This will, hopefully, happen every year so long as Trotters remain open!
    Each year, the staff at Adelaron Stables will be returning from the marsh with newly found Hippocamps, as the creatures seem to be becoming trapped during a migration.

2021 October; there will be 10 adopts released!
    All will be raffle types.
    Staff will receive an extra ticket into one hippocampus of their choice!
HowlingHooves

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Hallowed Hippocamp - Markings

Postby HowlingHooves » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:45 pm

Some things have been pointed out within the group that has been pulled for adoption;
    ‣ Commonly have 1-2 markings, rarely more.
    ‣ Are predominantly bay based.
    ‣ Fin spines are the color of points or are noticeably darker than non-point base.
    ‣ Fin webbing is the color of mane/tails in usual horses.
    ‣ Markings do alter the fins and spines.
    ‣ Stallions have horns, mares do not.
    ‣ Eyes have a glow effect.
    ‣ Glow is always the same color as the eyes.
    ‣ They do not have pupils, but do have a bright center.
    ‣ Heterochromia has not been seen in the ten found.

Breeding Info;
    When using Hiipocamps in breedings, genes will pass as follows;
    Coat color (Ee/Aa/etc) 50% pass rate
    Coat markigns (Paint, Sooty, etc) 50% pass rate
    Exclusive markings (Koi, Edged, Octo) 20% pass rate

Foals can have fins, horns, glowing eyes or webbed ears on trotters, however the large fin tail will not pass in any breeding.

Utsuri Koi
    Black, sharp edged markings that appear across the horse's body. As seen in koi, this marking does not make up a large part of the horse's body but the effect does mimic a chimeric.
    Always a deep black
    Edges are sharp
    Fins are affected
    UkUk/Ukuk

Yellow Edged
    Golden, heavy freckling seen on the face that lessens as it travels down the body. Based on the Yellow-Edged Moray eel, this marking can be seen heavily on the head only, or over the entire body. It does not change the fins.
    Always a golden color
    Coverage varies
    YeYe/Yeye

Octospots
    Bright, almost glowing blue rings of various sizes that cover the body from head to tail. All rings are hollow, and can be as large as an egg or as small as a dime. They do not cover the fins or ears, and rarely the legs below the knees. Based on the Blue-Ringed Octopus.
    Bright blue only, often seem to glow
    Coverage varies, but commonly moderately spotted
    Ears and fins are not spotted
    OsOs/Osos
HowlingHooves

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me