Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Steeds of Alaea by Merlin's Heir

Based on Click to view
Artist Merlin's Heir [gallery]
Time spent 2 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
7 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Steeds of Alaea

Postby Merlin's Heir » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:00 pm

Welcome to Alaea, a fantastical medieval world, peopled primarily by Man and Fae and renowned for its glorious horses, the Alaean steeds.

The steeds of Alaea are strong and brave enough for tournaments and battles, yet at the same time graceful and gentle enough to please any genteel lady of Man or Fae. They are varied in temperament, yet tend toward fierce loyalty and affection once their often-wild hearts are won over. They are also varied in appearance, so much so that two Alaean steeds could easily be mistaken for different kinds of creatures. All natural equine colors and patterns are possible in Alaean steeds, but instances of patterns and colors either found in other animals or entirely fantastical are not uncommon (this is commonly believed to be due to faerie influence). It is also not unheard of to encounter Alaean steeds with wings or horns, or other unusual additions, though these are more common in the faerie portions of Alaea. Their eyes can come in all colors imaginable. In height, they range from pony-sized to near draft. All in all, they're an incredibly varied and versatile breed.
Alaean steeds, once tamed, will bond with only that person, Man or Fae, who tamed them (though sometimes the bond can stretch, or transfer in the case of death, to the primary person's spouse or further family) and keep that bond for as long as they both live. Alaean steeds born from already-tamed Alaean steeds are more likely to bond with either of the persons bonded to their parents, or to the persons' families, but can bond outside of their relations as well.

The Men and Fae of Alaea get along fairly well for the most part, though conflicts are not unheard of. The Men are generally your typical medieval fantasy sort, living in kingdoms and dukedoms and the like. The Fae are much like Men, though they have pointed ears and small wings (useful for barely hovering or reaching that top shelf, but not long distance/speedy travel), and are usually shorter, slighter, and more graceful. Each one is linked, by time of birth (not by blood/inheritance) to a certain season, which tends to determine appearance and personality more than anything else. The Fae also have some undefined connection to the magic that underlies all of Alaea (and is presumably responsible for the fantastical colors, patterns, and other traits of the Alaean steeds).

Who are you in this incredible world? Man? Fae?
Will you tame and bond with one of the famed steeds of Alaea?

Follow all of CS' rules
- Respect the staff, community, and rules
- No whining, complaining, nagging, harassing, or otherwise being a nuisance
- Do not steal/claim as your own
- Do not take an Alaean steed that isn't yours
- Do not create your own Alaean steed (unless you are an artist)
- Do not do your own Alaean steed breeding (unless you are an artist)
- Do not ask for a custom Alaean steed
- Do not request line edits
- Do not ask to be added to any official Alaean steed lines to color in unless you are an artist
- Do not take Alaean steeds offsite (except for the sake of artwork or character storage; and link to here or adoption page)
- Do not mini-mod; if there is a problem, inform me (or a site mod if appropriate) and it will be dealt with
- You can have as many Alaean steeds as you can handle
- I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, and to confiscate anyone's Alaean steeds if I see reason to
- Alaean steeds have 10 breeding slots; you are responsible for keeping track of yours'
- Alaean steeds can only breed the old-fashioned way (mareXstallion)

So, Alaean steeds are a casual free adoptable that came into being because of boredom solved by art. The rules regarding their appearances are very loose; fantastical colors/patterns/etc. are entirely welcome, artists are welcome to mix-and-match any of the available mane/tail/fantasy/etc. options as they please or make their own line edits/additions as often as they want (please do not request line edits/additions from the artists; and artists, if a line edit/addition covers a large portion of the steed - such as the wings do - please post a second version without the edits/additions). It's kinda just a "have fun, go crazy with it" sort of thing. Y'all are welcome to start up roleplays, fanclubs, whatever you like; I'm just gonna be here throwing an Alaean out every once in a while because it's nice to have a fun, non-stressful thing to do for other people every so often. I won't be keeping an archive or setting up a breeding thread; it's all low-key, so if an artist wants to offer breedings they can post here on the main thread (or if someone wants to set up a fanclub, they could post there).
Fun thought: for the halters (there are five: human - shown above -, winter fae, spring fae, summer fae, autumn fae), you could add a sort of connectivity/roleplaying element by having the colors be those of the person/house/kingdom/faction/etc. that the steed has bonded into. (: Not required, of course, but a fun idea. Aaanyway.
Oh, and Alaea is a large island, somewhat vaguely roundish in general shape, and has all possible climates/terrains/etc. you can imagine. Because variety is fun in a fantasy world. (:
Also, because it's so casual, and because I'm gonna be rather busy for the foreseeable future (senior year of college, don't know how I got here, ehehe), Alaean steeds will be open for artist applications... pretty much always. Just PM me (titled "Alaean steed artist application" or something like that) some links to examples of your equine coloring skills and I'll let you know. It's all pretty chill, just make sure you're fair and following the Alaean steed and CS rules and having fun making fun art/character designs for other folks. (:
That's about it. There's some forms below for information to post with each Alaean steed and base forms for people to post for adopting (and additional ones for halter colors), just so y'all can mostly copy-and-paste and not bother with making them from scratch. It's the little things, right? (:
Oh, and a huge thank you to rebel.appy whose fabulous sketch made this all possible!
Have fun!

Basic information (to be posted by artist; and gender, color, eye color, and sire/dam to be filled in by artist; age/height can be chosen by artist or adopter)
Code: Select all
[b]Owner:[/b]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Color:[/b]
[b]Eye Color:[/b]
[b]Bond Race:[/b]
[b]Sire:[/b] Foundation
[b]Dam:[/b] Foundation

Base form for adopting (can remove age/height, add things like "picture," "personality," etc., based on adoption method)
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Bond Race:[/b] (human; fae - winter, spring, summer, or autumn)

Human halter color form (for bond race = human)
[b]Halter Base:[/b]
[b]Border:[/b]
[b]Metal:[/b]
[b]Gemstone:[/b]

Fae halter color form (for bond race = fae)
[b]Halter Base:[/b]
[b]___ Color:[/b] (spring, flowerbud; summer, flower; autumn, leaf; winter, berries+leaves)

font source
Last edited by Merlin's Heir on Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Merlin's Heir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Steeds of Alaea

Postby Merlin's Heir » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:00 pm

Open for posting

Not sure when I'll be getting anything up but artist apps are open (just PM examples)
Merlin's Heir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Steeds of Alaea

Postby DraconisSumeris » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:56 pm

Oh oh marrrk
DraconisSumeris