Dragon red-line by Ki-Mono

Based on Click to view
Artist Ki-Mono [gallery]
Time spent 17 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
3 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Dragon red-line

Postby Ki-Mono » Sat May 23, 2020 2:24 pm

this is actually paired with this. Decided to separate them because there is a lot going on with a dragon lol

Now a huge disclaimer is that there is no right or wrong way to draw a dragon. So these are simply some tips to help your dragons feel more realistic or weighty.
Let's start with head and go down to tail. We'll finish with talking about the wings.

The head is actually really good! Some stylist changes I would make is flattening out the horns or fully committing to them standing up. Ears at closer to a reptiles eye then ours, and I would recommend looking at pictures of dinosaur skulls or living reptile brothers for reference.

The body has some commitment issues. Basically, when drawing virtually any animal; there is a weird trend of drawing them with "dip" bellies. Most animals of any kind do not have this "dip" in their stomach unless they are starving or sickly. When drawing your dragon, I recommend sticking to either round, triangle, or rectangle. If you want them to be on the skinnier or slimmer side, go with a triangle shape where it gets smaller towards the rump. For this red-line though I simply made it be a round shape.

Legs are not bad, but need a bit of anatomy study when it comes to the rear ones. Instead of going for a zig-zag style, make the transition more slopped and smooth. The anatomy of an animals leg is similar to ours, it's usually just positioned differently. I wrote it out a bit in the red-line, but here is another visual to help you out. A rule of thumb that can help is that generally, the ankle is never higher or the same height as the knee.
Toes can be kinda difficult, even for me. A great way to help the process is to break it down. Draw a foot, toes, and claws, in separate steps. Instead of trying to get it out all in one go and hope it turns out alright. Otherwise, use reference! Your greatest alley!

Only thing to note about the tail, is that on reptiles and basically all dinosaurs, the tail extend directly from the belly and back. So use those as your guidelines instead of just "attaching" one on after the fact.

Lastly we have the wings. You do have the general shape down, which is great! What you need to focus on now is adding fingers to that bad boy. I talked about this a little more in depth on the other post (linked at top), but here is the visual again for your viewing pleasure. Now it is very possible you were going more for the pterodactyl tool. In which case we may want to cover that at a later time, since the anatomy of them is kinda different.
I chose to focus more on the bat wings since that is more common and I assumed that is what you wanted. Feel free to post something new on the Red-Line HQ if you would like to delve into pterodactyl wings more.

Hope this helps you!
References linked in other post (linked at top)
Ki-Mono

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dragon red-line

Postby HyperfixationStation » Mon May 25, 2020 8:03 am

Thanks a lot. :>
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcurrent hyperfixationxxxxxxxxxxxxx