How to draw fur by Ki-Mono

Based on Click to view
Artist Ki-Mono [gallery]
Time spent 42 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
10 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

How to draw fur

Postby Ki-Mono » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:48 pm

I'm honest to God not good at drawing fur realistically. At least not digitally. It's gotta be colored pencils or something to get even close to satisfactory for me; but I'm gonna try my best.

Alright, it's been awhile since I tried to draw fur realistically, so bare with me.
For starters, the direction the fur points on an animal's body can differ slightly from animal to animal. I recommend always looking up a reference of the animal you are trying to draw beforehand, so you can get the flow right. A nice tip to follow is that the fur usually "branches out" from the shoulder area, and from there, gravity does the rest.
Fur itself is very soft and fluffy. Drawing it with really sharp points that seemed strained is probably better suited when drawing wet fur.
The best I can do for you when it comes to helping with simpler fur is to try and make triangles round. I know that sounds kinda weird, so I hope I was able to convey that through my drawing. Make the fur thick and wispy. If you're working really hard to draw it, you're probably over thinking it. Let your hands flow naturally with the curve of your wrist. Don't feel shy to group bigger clumps together, and then going back and adding smaller lines inside to convey that it isn't all one thing.

I apologize with how short this is and how long it took me to get it out. I was really struggling with it, but I hope it helps anyways.

Refs; x x x
Ki-Mono

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: How to draw fur

Postby Ki-Mono » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:31 pm

Finally finished this. Not happy with it, but I hope it helps someone.
Ki-Mono

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me