day five: grooming by spring.

Based on Click to view
Artist spring. [gallery]
Time spent 32 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
One person likes this Log in to vote for this drawing

day five: grooming

Postby spring. » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:53 pm

well, now that i felt comfortable laying my hands on him, i figured we would work on that coat. it wasn't disgusting, but i did need to get him used to being groomed. i walked out to him, lead rope in hand. i also held a box with a few grooming supplies. i put the box down and looked up as the gelding waited for me at the fence. he flicked his ears, watching the box carefully. i walked to him, clipping on the lead rope. he nosed around, looking for granola in the most respectable way he could figure. i had armed myself with some, but it wouldn't be that easy. i found a hay bag placed outside his paddock, as i had asked. i walked over to it, bringing it into the paddock and hanging it carefully, then i tied the horse to the fence. in a careful quick-release. i watched him carefully as he began to munch his hay contentedly. he had adjusted fairly well, but likely because i gave him two options: settle or have me force the issue. he chose wisely. i realized then that i still needed a name for the beast. i picked up the box and brought it over to him, letting him investigate it before placing it before him. i pulled out a circular brush, placing my hand on his body with the rubbery brush next to it. i began to run the brush against the grain of his coat in a circle, and while he seemed apprehensive, my reassuring hand kept him calm. eventually, as i hit his withers, he was putty in my hands. he was nickering and wiggling his lip in appreciation. i curried him all over, watching his reaction, but overall he was very pleased. then i removed a dandy brush and coughed as dust was swept from his coat. gosh, was his coat beautiful. finally, i ran a soft brush over him to give him a beautiful shine. then i pulled out the hoof pick and ran my hand down his leg like i had the day before. when he picked his foot up, a quickly ran the pick around his hoof, careful to avoid the frog. he was clearly uncomfortable, but when his foot hit the ground and he got some granola, the other three feet were much easier.

i thought about putting weight on him, but surely we weren't to that point. but... i walked to his back and draped myself over him. he moved over, confused and i gently pat him. maybe if i got him used to me in extremely close quarters, that would help. i walked all around him, leaning on his shoulder, draping myself over his back, leaning on his quarters, and it took him a while to finally stand still and not be uneasy. i let him off the lead line, and watched him walk around his small round pen. i would have loved to let him into the big paddock, but he might not respond again... i took this time to think up some names for the beast. he would have the SCS affix, for sure. yes, i decided i would keep the beast...

SCS Beauregard? yes, and perhaps he would be called beau... yes, i rather liked that. "beauregard." i murmured under my breath.
spring.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me