Based on Click to view
Artist tikki-tak [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 4 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
30 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Create A Species Entry - Dusa

Postby tikki-tak » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:44 pm

Because carnivorous ungulates give me life. :P
EDIT 22/06/2015: Dusa can now be adopted here. Please note that that as of now this information is no longer being updated and may be out of date. <3

Dusa wrote:Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Artiodactyla
Family: Bovidae
Genus: Dusa
Species:
Dusa dusa
Dusa venator
Dusa occidens
Dusa vivus
Dusa pacificus

Anatomy wrote:Dusa is used to refer to any species in the small, closely-related genus Dusa. Their closest relatives are the duikers, though the exact evolutionary link is disputed. They are small, hoofed bovid, with adults of most species standing between 50-70cm high at the shoulder and weighing on average 20-30kg, with females often being slightly larger than males. Other than the very small difference in size, Dusa show very little sexual dimorphism other than the males of some species being slightly darker in colour. Both sexes have a pair of short, backwards-facing horns.
To account for their carnivorous diet and social organization, Dusa have evolved many unique features. They are bulkier and have heavier-set legs than other species of antelope, and have lost most of their hoof as it is cumbersome and noisy when stalking prey. Instead, they have fleshy pads (see figure "a") on the bottoms of their feet, with small hooflets (see figure "b") at the tips of their pads which provide traction when in motion. They have also evolved a long, muscular tail which acts as a counterbalance, allowing them to make sharp turns when running. The exact purpose of the long hair at the end of the tail is unknown, but it is hypothesized that it may play a role in communication or merely function as a flyswatter. The long hair along the neck and back likely plays a social role, used to intimidate potential rivals. When angry or frightened, the hair along the back the neck stands up, creating the illusion that the Dusa is larger than it actually is. The skull of a Dusa is also modified for a carnivorous lifestyle; unique among bovids, they possess upper front teeth. They skull is also much bulkier than a herbivorous antelope's, and contains shearing teeth and large canines, as well as large muscle attachments which allows them to have a much greater bite force.
They may active at any time of day, though populations living near human development may change their habits, becoming more nocturnal.

Taxonomy and Evolution wrote:The genus Dusa contains several species, roughly divided into to two groups based on degree of relatedness: the African and Northern Dusa.

The African group:
Dusa dusa - Striped Dusa or Common Dusa - rainforest zones of sub-Saharan Africa - Pictured above. Large, with obvious striping. This Dusa is regionally common, and is thought to be the oldest extant species of Dusa.
Dusa vivus - Sable Dusa - Northern Sahara and the Mediterranean - Paler and slightly smaller than other species of Dusa. No striping, dark tan above with pale undersides.
Dusa venator - Greater Dusa - scrubland and savannah habitat throughout sub-Saharan Africa - The largest species of Dusa, with a striped sable coat.

The Northern group:
Dusa occidens - European Dusa - found throughout Europe, open forest habitat - Great variation in size and colour, with southern species usually being smaller and lighter in colour, and northern species often being larger, darker and with heavier striping.
Dusa pacificus - Pacific Dusa - largest range of any species of Dusa, being found from mid-eastern Russia to China, Japan and even India. Also a North American subspecies, found along the west coast from Alaska to Southern British Columbia - Huge variation in size and coat colour, and many subspecies. Southern subspecies are usually smaller than northern species, and have fewer pack members. Coat colour ranges from nearly black in the Indian Dusa (D. pacificus tenebris) to dramatic white spotting in the Japanese Dusa (D. pacificus pacificus) to mottled russet and black in the Columbian Dusa (D. pacificus canadianus) There is some dispute as to whether or not the North American subspecies should be classed as a separate species.

The exact evolutionary connection between Dusa and their closest relatives, Duikers, is unknown and widely disputed. The most popular theory is that Dusa split off from the duiker family around 3 million years ago in what is now Sub-Saharan Africa. However, despite being relatively widespread, the fossil record is scarce.

Habitat and Range: wrote:Dusa live in a variety of habitats around the world, from open scrubland to temperate rainforest. The species physical characteristics tend to reflect their habitats - Dusa found in open spaces tend to be larger, with longer legs and lighter coats. Southern forest-dwelling Dusa tend to be smaller and darker in colour, whereas northern species are larger with thicker, less patterned coats.
Dusa are extremely territorial, and packs have defined home ranges. The size of the territory depends on many factors including: habitat, abundance of prey, and the size of the pack. The Indian Dusa (D. pacificus tenebris) has the smallest recorded home range, with an average of 22 km^2, whereas the Siberian Dusa, (D. pacificus aquilonem) has the largest, with an average pack territory of 210 km^2 due to lesser prey density coupled with larger pack sizes.

Hunting and Diet wrote:Dusa are almost exclusively carnivorous, hunting in packs. They most often feed off of small animals such as rabbits, birds or rodents, but working as a team will often bring down larger game such as small deer or antelope. Larger species, such as the Greater Dusa (D. venator) or northern subspecies of Pacific or European Dusa (D. pacificus & D. occidens, respectively) tend to form larger packs and take down larger prey more frequently than their smaller cousins.
Dusa hunt by a combination of ambush and pursuit; they are fairly fast over short distances, but their greatest strength is their stamina. Dusa can sprint at speeds of up to 60km/h, but can hold a steady 38km/h for as far as 10km. When hunting large animals, Dusa first stalk the prey, attempting to get as close as possible to their target. They then rush it, and if they do not catch up immediately, will work together to chase the prey in an attempt to tire it out. In order to bring down their quarry, Dusa will bite and head-butt the animal in the flank, shoulder and belly, using their short horns to trip them. Once the animal is down, they then bite at the exposed soft areas such as the neck, belly or throat in order subdue and kill their prey. They are decent hunters, with an average hunt success rates between 50-70%, depending on the species and environment.
Dusa will occasionally eat fruit or nuts if they are hungry enough, and have been documented eating leaves, grass and even bark in times of extreme famine.

Pack Structure wrote:Dusa live in small packs, usually with between 2-10 individuals. They are matriarchal, with a dominant female leading the group, several (usually related) females, and a few unrelated males. Females usually stay in their birth pack for their entire lives, while males usually leave their birth pack between the ages of 2-4 years, as they reach maturity.
Dusa packs are organized in a loose hierarchical structure, with females and males ranking in separate systems. Dusa are highly matriarchal, with all females being higher in rank than any male. In some species, this hierarchy may be more strictly enforced that in others; for example, the Sable Dusa (D. vivus) which lives in small packs of 2-5 individuals, does not recognize any rank other than dominant female, while the Siberian Dusa (D. pacificus aquilonem), which may form packs of up to 20 members, has a very strict system of rank.

Communication and Behavior wrote:Scent Marking:
Dusa are highly social animals, and have highly specialized means of communication. Like many other species of ungulates, Dusa have several scent glands, including a small pre-orbital gland in front of the eye, which is used primarily for attracting mates or leaving messages for passing Dusa of the same pack. They also have scent glands at the back of their hooves and the lower inside of their back legs, which are thought to leave a scent trail which allows the pack to keep track of its members. Additionally, Dusa have a musk gland on their rear, located just under the tail. This is used to mark territory and warn off rival packs.

Vocalization:
Dusa make many different vocalizations, including a short, bark-like "Waahkk" or "Aaahkk", a long undulating "Braaaaaaaa" similar to a goat, and short peeps and grunts. Young Dusa have a characteristic high-pitched wailing call when hungry or alarmed, which can sometimes sound disturbingly like a human infant. Dusa will growl and snort when threatened, and if frightened enough, will sometimes let loose an extremely loud, high-pitched scream in an attempt to startle the predator and enable an escape.

Body Language and Visual Communication:
Dusa most frequently communicate with each other through facial expressions, posturing, and play. All of these serve a very important role in maintaining bonds between pack members, as well as solidifying rank.
Dominant pack members will hold their heads low and tails high when in contact with lower-ranking pack members, while more submissive members will keep their tails low and heads high in the presence of higher ranking animals. Though this may seem counter-intuitive, a lowered head, displaying horns, is aggressive posturing while a head held high, displaying a relaxed muzzle, is placid and happy. Lower ranking Dusa may also lower their ears or eyes when approaching a dominant animal, but this is more prevalent in pack with stricter ranking systems. When alone or with similarly ranking Dusa, especially in packs with a looser hierarchy, these social norms may not appear as obviously, if at all.
Dusa also engage in communal grooming and play such as chasing, in order to maintain close bonds with other members of the group, regardless of rank.

The colouration of Dusa also plays a role in communication. During a chase, Dusa will lift their long tails (which are always darker than the rest of the coat, with a contrasting light underside) like a flag, using it as a signal to other pack members. It is thought that this behavior allows the members of the pack to keep track of each other's positions during a hunt, and therefor coordinate their attacks more effectively.

Threat Display:
When threatened or facing a rival, Dusa will lower their horns, arch their back and raise the hair along their back and neck in an attempt to appear larger than they are. They curl their upper lip, displaying their teeth. If the threat does not back down, they will shake their head and engage in "mock charges" - a display where the Dusa will lurch forward quickly while keeping its hindquarters in place, shaking its horns and barking before pulling back again. If this is still not effective, the Dusa may strike, lashing out with horns, teeth and/or front hooves.

Reproduction wrote:Dusa have a gestation period of around 4 months. A typical litter contains 1-3 young, which will nurse for around 6 months. Young Dusa are born fully furred with eyes and ear open, but are very small and unable to move quickly for the first week or so of life, so the pack will stay in one area for some time after the arrival of the fawns. Dusa fawns are lighter than the adults, with a spotted coats. This coat generally fades when the fawn reaches around 8 months old, though rarely one might keep their spots even into adulthood. The entire group helps to take care of the young, and females will nurse any of the group's offspring. When there are young in the group, lower ranking Dusa (often younger males) will take turns "babysitting" while the rest of the pack hunts.

In times where food is not readily available, only the dominant female will have fawns. She will not allow any other members to do so. In times of plenty, however, any member of the pack will be allowed to breed, though the arrival of fawns will often be staggered throughout the season.

Dusa are semi-monogamous, forming pairs that may last several breeding seasons. Rarely, they may stay with one mate their entire lives, or even take a multiple mates in a season.

There is much variation in breeding season between species and region. As a general rule of thumb, Dusa living in mild or tropical regions will have no set season or multiple seasons, while in northern populations the breeding season will take place in fall or winter, with fawn arriving in the spring.

Female Dusa reach maturity at around 2 years old, males at 3 years old. Dusa usually live between 15-20 years in the wild, though some captive Dusa have reportedly reached ages of 25 years or more.

Relationship with Humans wrote:Dusa play an important role in regulating the population of prey species. While none of the 5 main species of Dusa are listed as “Endangered” by COSWIC, there is some concern as populations in many regions are declining due to habitat loss and hunting. In some areas, Dusa are considered to be dangerous or even pests by locals, as they may sometimes kill domestic livestock such as sheep, goats or chickens. However, these claims are often greatly exaggerated. Studies have repeatedly found that, if given a choice, Dusa will almost always prefer wild prey to domesticated livestock that smells of humans. Dusa are shy for predators, and will generally give humans and their animals a wide berth.
For this reason, Dusa are rarely kept in captivity, and are very difficult to breed. However, some attempts have been successful, and a few captive packs have been established.

Phew! :lol: Might add some more, idk. Feel free to ask any questions if I forgot anything in the write up.

EDIT April 8th - Found some typos, fixed them. :3
Last edited by tikki-tak on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:25 am, edited 14 times in total.

Call me Tikki
just a lil Canadian who likes to draw.

Mood:
On hiatus

Characters | Grande Avalanche | Dusa Summer Event
Dusa | Kleeare | Chrysaora Basilisks | Belgian Kelpies | Kiettas

ImageImageImage
tikki-tak

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery