Redline for RainbowCat;. by diatomdude

Based on Click to view
Artist diatomdude [gallery]
Time spent 12 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
2 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Redline for RainbowCat;.

Postby diatomdude » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Ok... it's kind of messy, because I did it fairly quickly - also the anatomy might be a bit off, but the basics are there. :)

I've split it up into zones, and put a number so you can see. :3

1 - the head.

Size: The head should be smaller than the chest, if you're going for a realistic cat. :) Of course, if you're looking for a more cartoonish cat, it doesn't matter as much.

Facial Structure: Cats don't have a long snout like canines. It's actually quite short, and blends smoothly into the rest of the face.

Neck: Cats have fairly short, thick necks.

2 - Shoulders and chest

Shoulder: You did a good job of the shoulder. ^u^ Just needs to be a little more sloped, is all. I did a fairly simplified oval shape, just to get the gist of the angles, but you can also use a triangle.

Chest: Unless they are extremely fluffy, a cat's chest doesn't puff out beyond the point of shoulder. :)

3 - Back and Stomach

Back - Most of the time, a cat's back is slightly arched.

Stomach - You did a good job of this! Many people tend to "tuck up" the stomach, like in a canine, but a cat's stomach is normally pretty flat along the bottom, or even thicker towards the back end.

4 - Back legs/Hip

Just remember that the leg attaches at the hip, which is at the top of the cat. This means that it is more of a long triangular/oval, and not circle. :)

Also, the angle of the "knee" at the back is a little too sharp - the "knee" of the back leg is actually the same joint as our heel. Basically, a cat walks around on it's toes.
So basically, just lengthen the space between the body/hip area, and that heel.

5 - Tail
There wasn't really anything much wrong with your tail. All that I would say, is perhaps attach it a little farther back.

6 - Back paws
Normally when a cat stands, it's legs don't go straight up and down - sometimes they do, but more often they're angled a bit. :3

7 - Front Paws
Just remember to show the wrist joint. :)

I hope this helps! It might not be 100% accurate, because I just did it quickly and without an exact reference. I would suggest using reference images when drawing cats, to really get your anatomy down. :3 Let me know if you have any questions.

call me tea ✽ they/them ✽ algae is my life
I am still on semi-hiatus but occasionally I procrastinate college with info posts about genetics
commissions: closed | art trades: closed | requests: nah | collabs: closed
charactersartfight
diatomdude

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Redline for RainbowCat;.

Postby shin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:51 am

Thank you so much!
Ps. I thought the belly was fatter and not "tucked in" or whatever! Lol, I have two cats, and my grandma has two that I see often, her cats are both VERY skinny, but their belly does not tuck up.

─────────────────────────────────
    tay・gemini・forensics major・intj・the #1 minho stan
    ░░░░░░░
    ────────────
    > 머리 아프다 <
    ────────────
    pretty much quit, i'm
    basically here to post
    that #edgy emo stuff
    ───────────────────
    toute ma vie, est avec toi
    moi j'attends, toi tu pars . .

Imagex
    ░░
    ░░
    ░░
shin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Redline for RainbowCat;.

Postby Negatiive » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:33 pm

This is actually really helpful! Great tips on anatomy, might even use these for my own art. :D
When someone mentions Ed Sheeran

Negatiive

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me