Simple Cat Redline by .yuanfen

Based on Click to view
Artist .yuanfen [gallery]
Time spent 8 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
6 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Simple Cat Redline

Postby .yuanfen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:17 pm

Can I just note that I rarely draw cats, thus this isn't such a great drawing, but I tried my best. Should've used a reference /sighs

I don't have a cat, but with my drawing I tried to put whatever knowledge I had of them into it. For example, cats have visible whiskers, and what I call 'eyebrow and ear' whiskers. The one I drew here is a semi-long-haired cat, though I'm not sure if that's what you were going for.
What helps is to start out with a circle for the head. Around the middle, draw a line or two ( diameter line ) to show the placement of the eyes. The nose is what I use as the starting point, and I usually draw it at the very bottom edge or near the bottom edge of the circle. Then draw the muzzle ( I added a bit of fur detail but it's not necessary ), the whiskers, and...whatever you call those dark spots. Sorry, my brain is totally frazzled xD

The edges of the eyes should begin if you trace a straight vertical line up from each side of the nose. I believe the eyes of cats are a bit more round than you drew but you had got the pupil shape correct! Adding detail to the eyes is something you can learn later on, the way you draw them for now is more cartoony than my style and is just fine, I think it looks really nice.
You got the general shape of the ears correct, but the ears need to be placed higher on the head. You can extend the vertical lines from the nose in your sketch layer so you can determine ear placement. Draw triangles, then make them a bit more rounded and furry.

So the main suggestion I have is to start out by drawing a circle for the head, and everything will work from there ^^ I provided the sketch layer underneath so you can see what I did.

Hope this helps!
yuanfen
chinese
缘分

a relationship by fate or destiny
{ art shop || deviantArt }
{ myanimelist || tumblr }
.yuanfen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery