Fursuit Thread V2 OPEN (New Poll)

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

What are you doing for Halloweeen

Nothing
27%
Party
15%
Trick-or-Treat
34%
Fursuiting
24%

Total votes : 1321

Re: Fursuit Thread V2 OPEN (New Poll)

Postby Zexalii » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 pm

Username: Firestrike!
Are you a Furry or a Fan: Both I guess?
Do you own a fursuit: Nope
If so have any pictures: N/A
Fave thing about the Fandom: How happy it can make some people. I want to go out and spread the happiness too

Hi! So I want to make a partial but I'm not sure where to start. I have all of my needed materials for a head, tail, and hand paws. I also have prior experience in sewing by hand and by machine. For the head, I can't seem to find a tutorial for a cat. Any suggestions?
Vector • he/it • adult
Zexalii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yikes » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:14 am

Firestrike! wrote:Username: Firestrike!
Are you a Furry or a Fan: Both I guess?
Do you own a fursuit: Nope
If so have any pictures: N/A
Fave thing about the Fandom: How happy it can make some people. I want to go out and spread the happiness too

Hi! So I want to make a partial but I'm not sure where to start. I have all of my needed materials for a head, tail, and hand paws. I also have prior experience in sewing by hand and by machine. For the head, I can't seem to find a tutorial for a cat. Any suggestions?

I assume if you look at tutorials for a canine you could just modify the shape to your needs, its the same basic structure/instruction. same with a bear, otter, etc.

xImage i <3 the computer
xImage artist + creature owner
xImage my website

yikes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zexalii » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:36 pm

yikes wrote:

I assume if you look at tutorials for a canine you could just modify the shape to your needs, its the same basic structure/instruction. same with a bear, otter, etc.

Thanks! I'm thinking about doing the bucket head way because that seems like the easiest. Does anyone know where to get mannequin heads for a cheapish price?
Vector • he/it • adult
Zexalii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm not sure about regular mannequin heads, but I found a foam one at Michael's for pretty cheap. It's useful for sticking pins in if needed. Also, I'm a girl, but I actually ended up grabbing the guy head. Oops. Seemed to work out anyway. It leaves a little extra breathing room in the finished base, haha
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 72027 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:54 pm

SilverCrescentMoon wrote:I'm not sure about regular mannequin heads, but I found a foam one at Michael's for pretty cheap. It's useful for sticking pins in if needed. Also, I'm a girl, but I actually ended up grabbing the guy head. Oops. Seemed to work out anyway. It leaves a little extra breathing room in the finished base, haha

be aware that the base is incredibly small. 21 inches circumference. if you want to use that, i would suggest adding foam and putting duct tape over that to make the head bigger. thats if you are talking about the styrofoam mannequin head.

Firestrike! wrote:
yikes wrote:

Thanks! I'm thinking about doing the bucket head way because that seems like the easiest. Does anyone know where to get mannequin heads for a cheapish price?

hint: balaclava base is the easiest and cheapest. bucket heads can be difficult to get a round shape.
'

╔══ •❀°•°❀°•°❀• ══╗

emmy | she/her
hi! i am a furry artist,
taxidermist, and zoology'''''''''
student. (´・ω・ `)

╚═════════════╝

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''my socials

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:07 pm

I already finished the base and am about halfway through furring it ^^ It's actually almost oversized, so the head served well. Plus, I actually used my own head for the very beginning (lol), so it turned out fine c:
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zexalii » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:11 am

[quoe="rocky."][quSilverCrescentMoon"]I'm not sure about regular mannequin heads, but I found a foam one at Michael's for pretty cheap. It's useful for sticking pins in if needed. Also, I'm a girl, but I actually ended up grabbing the guy head. Oops. Seemed to work out anyway. It leaves a little extra breathing room in the finished base, haha[/qote]
    be aware that the base is incredibly small. 21 inches circumference. if you want to use that, i would suggest adding foam and putting duct tape over that to make the head bigger. thats if you are talking about the styrofoam mannequin head.

Firestrike! wrote:
yikes wrote:
Firstrike! wrote:Username: Firestrike!

Hi! So I want to make a partial but I'm not sure where to start. I have all of my needed materials for a head, tail, and hand paws. I also have prior experience in sewing by hand and by machine. For the head, I can't seem to find a tutorial for a cat. Any suggestions?[/quot

hint: balaclava base is the easiest and cheapest. bucket heads can be difficult to get a round shape.
[/qote]
Thanks! I'll look up some tutorials for the balaclava base. Luckily, I have a Michael's within walking distance of my house.
Vector • he/it • adult
Zexalii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby soreii » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:39 pm

been away from this thread, well this whole site for a while
but, i recently started making my own fursuit with a friend (shes made a few before)
it'll be a full suit eventually, we plan to start all the other parts soon
right now we only have the head (almost done, just needs some more adjustments and fixes + neck sewn on)

for my first ever suit head, i think its pretty good??
he really needs a better shave tho lol
when i had the foam base i thought it would not look very good but now that he is furred i could not be happier its the exact style i wanted!
i just hope the other parts turn out just as good ;v;
deviantARTtumblr

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
soreii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zexalii » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:02 pm

soreii wrote:been away from this thread, well this whole site for a while
but, i recently started making my own fursuit with a friend (shes made a few before)
it'll be a full suit eventually, we plan to start all the other parts soon
right now we only have the head (almost done, just needs some more adjustments and fixes + neck sewn on)

for my first ever suit head, i think its pretty good??
he really needs a better shave tho lol
when i had the foam base i thought it would not look very good but now that he is furred i could not be happier its the exact style i wanted!
i just hope the other parts turn out just as good ;v;

I love it! Based off of other people's first heads I've seen, this is really good!

On another note, what do I do if I have glasses? I don't really want to struggle to get the head on or anything when I do make it
Vector • he/it • adult
Zexalii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Larkspur1678 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Firestrike! wrote:On another note, what do I do if I have glasses? I don't really want to struggle to get the head on or anything when I do make it

If contacts are an option for you that would be the best route. Otherwise this thread has some good advice, including some from Komickrazi, a professional fursuit maker.

Adult • She/they
Toyhouse

Icon by MRLFRK on FA
Animation by DarkMoonRay on Twitter
Larkspur1678

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me