The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby drift. » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:55 pm

No I'm almost positive it's not porphyrin, the same eye(left, right when facing head on) is glazed over, milky and protrudes from its socket. That's why I'm so worried. She has been perfectly healthy otherwise, still eats fine and drinks. Was drinking when I noticed, because she boggles her eyes when she drinks and her other eye wasn't moving. I moved my finger past that eye and I can't tell if she can see out of it or not. My vet opens at 8, i'll definitely be there. The only emergency clinic near me (less than an hour) doesn't have a vet that specializes with rats, but maybe he'll still know, so I will probably call.
Last edited by drift. on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:02 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope she's okay, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery <3

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby deoxyribonucleic » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:14 pm

hello! I am new to this thread. I have owned hamsters and gerbils before, but never multiple pets at once! now i own two gorgeous, loving gerbils (and a not so loving, more playful cat who thinks my babies look like toys).

I got them yesterday and they are so nice, not once have I been bitten but they're still a little anxious so it's hard to scoop them up.

here are my furbabies j chillin
I know the cage isnt the right size for two whole babies, so I'm saving up for extensions, for now we let them out a lot in hamster balls so they get their excercise.
moonwalkin'
noelle | she/her
───── ♤ ─────
you, too, deserve love
deoxyribonucleic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:48 pm

koyvii wrote:hello! I am new to this thread. I have owned hamsters and gerbils before, but never multiple pets at once! now i own two gorgeous, loving gerbils (and a not so loving, more playful cat who thinks my babies look like toys).

I got them yesterday and they are so nice, not once have I been bitten but they're still a little anxious so it's hard to scoop them up.

here are my furbabies j chillin
-snip-
I know the cage isnt the right size for two whole babies, so I'm saving up for extensions, for now we let them out a lot in hamster balls so they get their excercise.

Hi there! According to Woodgreen (they're an animal charity), gerbils do best in a tank with a mesh lid. This allows them to have a deep substrate which encourages them to display natural behaviours such as digging!

The minimum cage size for one or two gerbils is 100 cm. wide by 30 cm. deep by 30 cm. high (3 ft. wide by 1 ft. deep by 1 ft. high).

I would also offer them a similar sized wheel to a syrian hamster - 28cm across. This will prevent their spines from curving!

Congrats on your new additions!
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:34 pm

Update on Meatball;; Called the rescue while waiting for the vet to finish up with Baby's check up and they said they will ship her if I can't make the long 6 hour drive ;~;

Edit;; With a heavy heart I have to acknowledge that Baby crossed the rainbow bridge around 1:13 yesterday morning. Her health went downhill very fast around 12 and things never got better. I suspect there were other issues but if there was the vet never mentioned them. I'm heartbroken to see her go so early but I'm happy she is not in any pain anymore.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ninetailss » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:38 pm

I have one guinea pig named Bacon (Now nicknamed Squek by my friend) I don’t think I can post an actual picture of my pig but here’s an example:
The story of how I got him is actually really weird and funny. So my neighbor got a guinea pig for his birthday from his mom’s friend. He got it and they were all happy. We occasionally would go over and visit it and I absolutley LOVED IT. That was one of the first times I remember loving a rodent. They actually weren’t taking care of it very well like leaving it’s cage unclean for a long time and forgetting to feed it. The one who took care ov it the most was their dog who thought it was his baby. Every thins the cat came over by it’s cage the dog would growl at it.
Jump to a few months later and they went on vacation. They asked us to watch the pig. We had done it before so we knew what to do. It was easy and they came back soon. The catch was, they never came to get the guinea pig. I honestly think the kids forgot about it or didn’t care. So we all just kind of accepted that the guinea pig was ours now.
The last time they’ve asked for it back is when my friend was holding it and she accidentally broke its nail. We called their mom and they came over with nail clippers. After she was done they were like “ok, you broke his nail and now we want it back because you hurt him” Needless to say, we still have the guinea pig and love him very much.
they/them meow meow meow
ninetailss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose.bloom » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:27 am

hello :) i actually only own a rabbit, i don't own any rodents, but i would love to in the future get a hamster.
my mom will never allow it as she hAtEs rodents (she grew up on a farm? she said shes soon a lot of things involving rodents...oof) but even if i have to wait until i move out i will still be happy! have any of you had to convince your parents to get your pets?
rose.bloom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:43 am

@rose.bloom,
oml yes,, my mother despises rats, but after I got a job and a few bucks saved up and proved that I could be fully accountable for his health; my mom still was against it. And I specifically remember telling her that she could have rats in her home, where she wouldn't see them (in my bedroom) or have a mustang running on her land. (my grandfather was pushing my mom to take him in) she immediately chose rats, as I expected, and a month later I had a little dumbo baby named Salvy.

Now you're probably not in the same situation involving a BLM mustang, but maybe comparing a rat to a more difficult animal will help. Of course I don't know your mother so I can't say this will work. Maybe waiting is best, that way the hamster gets all the care and attention he needs. Anyway, hamsters can be really sweet (if you dont get them from a petco/petsmart) so just be cautious about where you're little hammy is coming from.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 am

ello people, its me, again.

i have a question for you all.

in your opinion, which is better for a hamster? tank or cage?

im just asking because i can get a fairly large tank for about 50 euros off donedeal and most cages are worth a fortune.

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:13 am

@meerkat boi. cages have great airflow which is really important for the hamster. Tanks are good for keeping in bedding that might otherwise spill out through the cage bars, however they have very poor airflow. Personally I'd go for a cage with a deep bottom, to get the best of both worlds c: if you can't find any affordable cages, perhaps you could consider buying one used?

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image