The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby MotherMother » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:07 am

@Crow Jane glad I could help! I'll try to help with your other questions as well, and don't hesitate if you have any more!

1) Since I've never had male rats, unfortunately I cannot give you advice based on experience. However, I can help based on what I have read online. Mammary tumors are pretty common in females, and the most common tumor to get. It is possible for rats, male or female, to get other types of tumors however, like the more deadly pituitary tumor. Additionally, it is possible for a male to get a mammary tumor, because it's just like how breast cancer in humans mostly affects women, it can also affect men. It is much more unlikely, however. I was pretty close to switching to male rats just to not deal with the heart break of a female with a tumor, however just based off of personal preference I decided to go with females. No rat is exempt from tumors unfortunately, but if you want a better chance of avoiding mammary tumors you can spay a female rat, or get a male rat.
If your rat develops a tumor, you do not have to have surgery to remove it, as long as the rat is happy and able to enjoy life. Since rats usually get tumors when they are elderly, it can be too risky to even put them through anesthesia, and if they survive that the recovery will be slow and laboured. This is something that would need to be assessed by a professional vet in person. Additionally, even if the tumor is removed, it is possible for more to appear. Therefore you'd need to consider the rat's age and ability to recover, as well as the likelihood of more tumors appearing.
You can improve your chances of avoiding tumors by getting your female spayed, or getting a male whose likelihood of getting mammary tumors is greatly decreased. A much easier option, however, is to give your rat a strict and healthy diet, and any time you want to give your rat a treat just make sure it is healthy. Rats love fruits and veggies, which are a healthy alternative to sweet store bought pet treats. However, keep in mind that fruits are quite sugary and should be given in moderation. I personally feed my rats Oxbow Essentials, which was recommended to me by multiple vets. Occasionally they get rice puffs, oats, and chicken as a very special treat c: I know everyone wants to spoil their little ratty with tasty food all the time, I would love to as well! But I know that the best way to show them my love is to keep them healthy, rather than give them unhealthy treats all the time.
Other than tumors, rats can get respiratory issues. All rats are born with a respiratory disease. However, it will most likely stay dormant and never arise nor cause any issues. It can happen, however, that the disease does surface and the rat will have laboured breathing, wheezing, and sneezing. It can be easily treated with antibiotics. To avoid respiratory problems, make sure their bedding is dust free. Many companies label their product as "dust free" however if you shake out the bag you will see tons of dust come out. When you find a bedding you'd like to purchase, check online for customer reviews from pet owners who have actually tried the bedding, and see what they say before you buy it.
Overall I would say that males and females have about the same health risks, other than mammary tumors.
2) Yes, exactly that! Keep a close eye on your cables and check them often for any chew marks. Personally, not a single rat I've ever had chewed or showed any interest in the one cable I have in my room. I'm not sure if that's pure luck or if they just don't really care about it. So I would recommend for the first few days to inspect your cables and make sure the rats are not chewing it. If any are plugged in, make sure they are secure and fully plugged, with no exposed metal. Make sure you have no plants in the room. Some people say as long as it's not poisonous, a plant is okay, however I personally disagree. Plants require soil which has tons and tons of bacteria from outside. Because rats are rarely vaccinated, it's important to keep harmful bacteria away from your rats. I'm not saying you need to wash your clothes and have a shower every time you want to play with your rats, but I am saying that since the soil has lots of outdoor bacteria, tiny bugs, and manure, I would keep it away. Whenever I need to take my rats to the vet, the first question they ask is have they been outside. The same way that indoor cats don't need the same vaccinations as outdoor cats, or a puppy that's too young to be vaccinated, rats should be kept off of outdoor grass and soil.
Another part of rat-proofing a room is not just making it safe, but also making sure they don't chew something they're not supposed to. Some rats don't chew your things, and some do. For example my first pair of rats never chewed up my things and in fact weren't very interested in the chew toys I gave them. However, the rats I have right now are more mischievous and will chew a book if it's laying on the floor, and they love their chew toys. Interestingly, I have a book shelf in that room and they don't chew any books that are properly stored. However they'll munch on any on the floor! Maybe they're telling me to clean up haha! So it really depends on the rat. It's very easy to just put things out of reach for when you have them out.
3) It depends on the vet clinic, since every one will be different. From personal experience, just a check up alone used to be $60 Canadian, but recently increased to $80. Treatment wise, the most common medication given is simple antibiotics, which I paid $20 for over 14 doses. Spaying can range quite a bit so it would help to ask your local clinic. Even if you don't have a rat, don't be shy to call your vet clinic and ask! Since perhaps the cost will affect your decision on males or females. So long story short, you can in fact spend hundreds in order to keep multiple rats healthy.

@zach herron. I'm so happy to hear that! Parents can be hard to convince, but the first time I asked for rats my mom said NO, NEVER and I thought I'd just have to wait until I moved out. It took time for her to get used to the idea and when I realized we'd need 2, not just 1, she said no way. Luckily she eventually approved because she saw how badly I wanted them! When we first got them, she wasn't very interested in them. But now, after many happy years with all different rats, she loves them and cuddles them and baby talks to them! Hopefully your parents might consider this as well <3 If not, rats are still definitely worth having one day!

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:23 am

@drift
      Do you have other rats at home? If not, you should consider getting her a friend. Rats thrive on companionship and get pretty depressed and lonely if they are alone.

Sad day today.
      I've developed severe allergies to my rats. Princess got rehomed last night a lovely man and my young boys will be going to a new home tomorrow. I am devastated.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:33 am

@Gamora.
Yes ^^ I have a male dumbo, and two petco rats that I ONLY purchased because they were severely malnourished and sick. Baby, my black and white fancy, was only a few weeks old at the time but had bloody discharge coming from her eyes and her nose. Both sisters are healthy and happy and very friendly to new rats; so I'm hoping they'll accept Meatball. Of course I'm introducing them slowly despite them being friendly.

ahw hun I am so sorry to hear that. You know if we lived in the same country I would give all of your kiddos a good home; especially since my two girls will be three in a few months and I've never had a rat longer than two years. Not saying I hope they die but I'm surprised they've had no other health issues thus far and I don't know how much longer I'll be blessed to have them.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fae the faun » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:11 am

12 pinkies!! Going to see if first time mama can handle the 12 if not I'll have to have another mama raise some of them. We've had a great month for babies we've had 6 litters and the hold backs so far have been looking amazing!
This breeding also proved the genes finally of their mama who came to us color undetermined because she just didn't have enough color to have a good idea but I always totally right on the blue agouti. So many wedge babies ranging from light blue to agouti and black. Fingers crossed this last litter gives us a good count of Silvermanes! I have some breeders I'm working with interested but I need hold backs as well. :lol:
Fae the faun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:52 pm

sooo, its 20 days until i go on holidays with my family, therefore after 4 or so weeks I may be getting my hamster I've always wanted.
    my friend also really wants one which is cool sooo i can talk to her about it (I was yesterday)

quick question;
    is the minimum cage size for a Syrian 360 sq inches or some other sizing?

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kiffell » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:59 pm

hello!

i came here because im really interested in a guinea pig or two! Though, im needing a bit of advice on where i could get one/some and if the guinea is the best choice for me. I did have rabbits when i was really little, but i dont remember much about them except for the fact my family didn't take care of them well..

anyways!

i've been wanting a small creature for some time now, because i really want a hand held animal. But, i do have a dog, and im wondering if guineas will get along with my dog? I have some ideas on how to keep them both separated and happy at the same time, but im not sure how long i'd be able to do that aha.

and if i DO decide to get a guinea, where should i adopt it/them from? (if i have to get multiple)
i heard petsmart is a no go, but how about petco? I checked my local shelters website and they didn't have any piggies, but petfinder said there were a few in my area. Plus, im still in school so im not sure on how lonely one guinea would be and if i had to get two. Which that would work out fine because i have a little brother who is also interested in a pig!

thank you for any and all help !
- - - - - -
mangroveclan (stars) | cactusclan (stars)
- - - - - -
im no longer active on cs, if you want to talk/need to contact me please do so through discord or TH!
kiffell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:13 am

My rats are gone. They were rehomed yesterday.
      I still have Templeton since he's my elderly boy and he's been glued to me ever since his brother died.
      I'm so heartbroken.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:33 am

I came home today and found Bella has passed over the rainbow bridge. I don't know what to do with myself. I've forced myself to clean and empty her cage and I hate looking at it.
    Goodbye Bella, I hope I gave you the best six months of your life <3
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:16 pm

kiffell wrote:
hello!

i came here because im really interested in a guinea pig or two! Though, im needing a bit of advice on where i could get one/some and if the guinea is the best choice for me. I did have rabbits when i was really little, but i dont remember much about them except for the fact my family didn't take care of them well..

anyways!

i've been wanting a small creature for some time now, because i really want a hand held animal. But, i do have a dog, and im wondering if guineas will get along with my dog? I have some ideas on how to keep them both separated and happy at the same time, but im not sure how long i'd be able to do that aha.

and if i DO decide to get a guinea, where should i adopt it/them from? (if i have to get multiple)
i heard petsmart is a no go, but how about petco? I checked my local shelters website and they didn't have any piggies, but petfinder said there were a few in my area. Plus, im still in school so im not sure on how lonely one guinea would be and if i had to get two. Which that would work out fine because i have a little brother who is also interested in a pig!

thank you for any and all help !

Unless you are very patient I would highly recommend you stay away from name brand stored like that and go with a shelter. For THIS reason; Pet stores like Petco and Petsmart don't socialize their animals. You will be getting a scared, confused, essentially feral pig from them. I'd find a local breeder who alot of people trust or adopt. And about the number of pigs you get; Maybe start with two if you're away during the day? That way the piggies have something to do and will be less likely to tear into things. I hope this helped a little ^^ feel free to ask more questions. I have a female Jaurez(Pronounced War-ez) and she's a sassy queen, she is only kept by herself because she was a guinea mill baby and extremely territorial. Attacking any other Guinea in her space. She's content alone and a bit older so she's adapted to napping while I'm away and playing and demanding attention when I get back.

EDIT*** Baby, my b and w fancy rat has something wrong with her eye again. I got back from my grandparent's ranch and found her bleeding round the eye area. I'm only panicking because my vet is closed and it looks serious.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:30 pm

@drift., are you sure it's not porphyrin? Porphyrin is mucus that is red in colour and occasionally comes from a rats eyes and nose. It is 100% normal and no cause for alarm. The only time you should get worried, is if your rat had an extreme excess amount.
If it is blood then take her to the vet as soon as it opens. There might be a 24 hour emergency clinic, most cities have one. I hope your little baby gets better soon!

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image