The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby meerkat boi. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:54 am

^^ haha thanks I never knew that.
its just because im hoping for a hamster in the next year or so.

My parents arent letting me get one because we are busy atm.
We are going to France next summer and no one will be there to mind a hamster.
Also I might have t take an emergency flight to Estonia as my grandad aint doing so well
"Maybe next year" my mom says

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby a snoozing skerple » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:36 am

it just occurred to me that we've had our current rats since the august of last year and never once in that time have any of them gone into heat. al and vinny were too young when we got them to have been fixed by the store and sindy was nursing just a day before we got her. come to think of it, i don't remember odi ever going into heat either when we had her. i know durn and robin did, and durn was most likely from the same litter as odi. not really sure what's goin on here. oO
a snoozing skerple

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kisiel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:46 am

a winking skeever wrote:it just occurred to me that we've had our current rats since the august of last year and never once in that time have any of them gone into heat. al and vinny were too young when we got them to have been fixed by the store and sindy was nursing just a day before we got her. come to think of it, i don't remember odi ever going into heat either when we had her. i know durn and robin did, and durn was most likely from the same litter as odi. not really sure what's goin on here. oO

They go into heat every 4-5 days if not spayed. Not all does will show "symptoms" ie hopping, back arching and ear wiggling. I never know when two of mine are in heat because they simply don't show it.
Stay positive.

Kisiel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:26 am

Kisiel wrote:Hang up dog ropes to create an active layout instead of using solid levels/platforms. Colourful storage baskets can be filled with substrate or simply used as something to hop in and out of. Scarf racks can be used as fall breakers or an alternative to cargo nets. Plastic cocktail bowls can be hung up as a bed or foraging toy.

The only limit is your imagination, there are countless of things you can use inside the rats' cage to make it fun and interesting.

I would definitely recommend a wheel if you can get one large enough though - 12" is the absolute minimum, however 14" and 16" wheels are better and seemingly preferred by rats.

I'd be careful with ropes because the vast majority are too strong, so when the rat chew it, it frays and catches their nails. A lot of rats have lost nails and even broken their toes as a result. You also have to know what it is treated with, some chemicals are poisonous and it's hard to find rope that is truly safe. I know because I've always wanted to make a bendy rope (with thick metal wire inside to allow bending) but I did some research and found that you have to be really picky when choosing ropes. It would be a fanstastic toy but just make sure it's the right kind!
It was a while ago so I can't remember which types you can and cannot use, but I'm sure there's plenty of info online! C:

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kisiel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:49 am

MotherMother wrote:
Kisiel wrote:Hang up dog ropes to create an active layout instead of using solid levels/platforms. Colourful storage baskets can be filled with substrate or simply used as something to hop in and out of. Scarf racks can be used as fall breakers or an alternative to cargo nets. Plastic cocktail bowls can be hung up as a bed or foraging toy.

The only limit is your imagination, there are countless of things you can use inside the rats' cage to make it fun and interesting.

I would definitely recommend a wheel if you can get one large enough though - 12" is the absolute minimum, however 14" and 16" wheels are better and seemingly preferred by rats.

I'd be careful with ropes because the vast majority are too strong, so when the rat chew it, it frays and catches their nails. A lot of rats have lost nails and even broken their toes as a result. You also have to know what it is treated with, some chemicals are poisonous and it's hard to find rope that is truly safe. I know because I've always wanted to make a bendy rope (with thick metal wire inside to allow bending) but I did some research and found that you have to be really picky when choosing ropes. It would be a fanstastic toy but just make sure it's the right kind!
It was a while ago so I can't remember which types you can and cannot use, but I'm sure there's plenty of info online! C:

Literally any ropes designed for dogs are fine to use. My cage is full of them, different thicknesses and types to keep it interesting for the rats. Current favourite is the giant (about a meter long) girthy one from the Range, it cost a about £8 and comes in a few different colours. Ropes for parrots are also generally okay. I've never heard of rats breaking nails on ropes, and literally 95% of the U.K. rat fancy uses them...
Stay positive.

Kisiel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Kisiel wrote:
MotherMother wrote:

Literally any ropes designed for dogs are fine to use. My cage is full of them, different thicknesses and types to keep it interesting for the rats. Current favourite is the giant (about a meter long) girthy one from the Range, it cost a about £8 and comes in a few different colours. Ropes for parrots are also generally okay. I've never heard of rats breaking nails on ropes, and literally 95% of the U.K. rat fancy uses them...

Idk man I'm just putting it out there. A quick search on google can find a lot of horror stories so I'm just saying to be aware

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby depressedanonymous, » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Does anyone have a rat bumblefoot horror stories? When I had my rats I was lucky they didn’t get bumblefoot, so I’m always really interested in stories of peoples who’s pet rats have gotten it.

that was poorly worded sorry I’m watching The Office so I’m distracted
___
___

She/her, adult.
Trader, crosstrader, collector, rat enthusiast.
Fair Trade Thread | New "Rares List" | The "What's My Pet Worth?" Thread
___
___
depressedanonymous,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:27 pm

depressedanonymous, wrote:Does anyone have a rat bumblefoot horror stories? When I had my rats I was lucky they didn’t get bumblefoot, so I’m always really interested in stories of peoples who’s pet rats have gotten it.

I'm pretty sure rats only get bumblefoot from bad weels. Do rats get bumblefoot? I've only heard of hamsters and birds getting it

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kisiel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:54 pm

pidge,, wrote:
depressedanonymous, wrote:Does anyone have a rat bumblefoot horror stories? When I had my rats I was lucky they didn’t get bumblefoot, so I’m always really interested in stories of peoples who’s pet rats have gotten it.

I'm pretty sure rats only get bumblefoot from bad weels. Do rats get bumblefoot? I've only heard of hamsters and birds getting it

That isn't correct.

Bumble foot is caused by bacteria entering a wound and basically causing an infection. Overweight rats are especially prone to it as the most pressure is put on their feet, however unsuitable cage flooring and soiled bedding can also play a part.

Bumble foot is actually not as common as people sometimes think.
Stay positive.

Kisiel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:33 am

I've had a lot of rats and they've never had it. I also never used wire shelves/floors which can be a factor. And I don't provide a wheel. I have found they use it for sleeping more than running and it mostly gathers pee. Lol. So there are no inappropriate wheel surfaces to worry about.

I can tell you some fun ones about abscesses though. Yummy!
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups