Official Paint-Tailed Pythons Care Sheet

Come adopt or share user-created adoptable species here.
Forum rules
These adoptables are not official CS pets and cannot be added to your CS account.
Art theft is not tolerated here. Do not copy/trace/edit/use anybody's pictures without their express permission.
If you are unsure, read the full art rules here.

Once-off adoptables belong in Character Sales and Design Shops: Forum/viewforum.php?f=69

Official Paint-Tailed Pythons Care Sheet

Postby Calix » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:08 am

So you guys needed some kind of info sheet about PTP, right? Thank goodness you have me! Here's a sheet I wrote up :3

Main thread | Archive | Fanclub | Nursery | Care Sheet | Roleplay | Growing Thread | Design Idea Thread

Ahem- I'll take over here. Although there is some correct information among the, eh, doodles, that is a pathetic excuse for a care sheet.
I haven't even introduced myself, how rude. My name is Esther, but you may address me as, "Ma'am", or "Professor". I'll be giving you a proper briefing on Paint-Tailed Python care.

Adult PTP require a 20-gallon tank at a minimum, but you can use a tank as large as 40-50 gallons if you have an appropriate amount of hides. Like most snakes, PTP require both a hot and a cool side, and a gradient in between, along with hides on each side.
There are several heating options, the viable ones consisting of over tank heating and under tank heating. Heat rocks exist, but are considered extremely dangerous for a number of reasons and are discouraged.
PTP are very active snakes and require many different hides and features for their enclosure. Hides are snug spaces for your PTP to rest in and feel safe. You can make hides out of anything(as long as it's not sharp or toxic), like toiler paper tubes, washed plastic containers, or cardboard containers. You can also buy hides at pet stores.
Make sure to have a thick layer of bedding, as many PTP enjoy burrowing and hiding under their bedding.
Never keep two PTP in the same enclosure, unless temporarily for breeding purposes.

PTP exist in the wild, but are very uncommon. Wild PTP can be domesticated, but are generally much less friendly and more shy than captive-bred PTP. In the wild, PTP can live to be around 30 years, although many live shorter lives due to predators and other dangers.

PTP should have a main diet of one mouse a week, but between feedings, they can be fed small amounts of human food as treats. Sharp or crunchy foods like chips, hard candy, or crackers should be avoided, as your PTP does not chew its food.
PTP are generally great eaters, and usually only reject meals if they are extremely sick.
As the paper above says, live feeding should absolutely be avoided unless your PTP refuses to eat other foods. Live mice scratch and bite your PTP, and can cause injury.

PTP generally grow to be 1-3 feet long, with females on the larger side and males on the smaller. Despite their small size, they commonly live to be upwards of 60 years old.
Their paint secretion is something most people still don't understand. It starts from before they are hatched, with their paint colors commonly tinting the amniotic fluids and eggshell. The paint seems to come from a gland not unlike a scent gland in mammals. However, the paint has no scent and seems to have little survival purpose.

PTP are highly intelligent snakes, far beyond any relative. They do not understand human speech audibly, due to their poor hearing(see below), but they fully understand written speech and many PTP can even write. Although they do not understand human speech, they understand basic voice inflections, and will know if you are bad-mouthing them.

PTP are somewhat lacking in some of their senses:
Touch: PTP are sensitive to heat and cold, but don't always notice human touches right away.
Hearing: Their hearing tends to be muffled and a bit muddy, but it is there.
Sight: Like other snakes, PTP have fairly short-range vision, and have difficulty seeing 10+ feet away.
Taste: PTP have a dulled sense of taste, but can usually taste sweet foods the easiest.
Scent: PTP actually have an incredibly sense of smell, and can track prey(or friends) easily.

Because of their longevity, PTP form lifelong bonds with friends and family. They are incredibly social creatures and must be socialized with humans, other animals, or other PTP on a regular basis(see note about keeping PTP in habitat).

If you've got any questions about PTP, feel free to ask me here.

Last edited by Calix on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

Art Shop: Forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4788164
currently closed
Calix

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Official Paint-Tailed Pythons Care Sheet

Postby madrilenial » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:00 am

I have a question!
When making a form for a PTP, may we still change around the personality and make them slightly more human?
┌─────────┐

Imagex

└─────────┘
┌───────────────────────┐

T.J. // they/them // ©

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
x

└───────────────────────┘
┌─┐

└─┘
madrilenial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Calix » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:39 am

bean. wrote:I have a question!
When making a form for a PTP, may we still change around the personality and make them slightly more human?

Yes! Every PTP is different, and some of them take more strongly after humans, while some act like regular snakes, with everything in between!

Art Shop: Forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4788164
currently closed
Calix

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bison » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks so much for clearing all this up! <3
Tamu | Kipper | Yubari | Makhata | Dip | Ulysses | Kallie | Corona

I used to be "ShortAxel" and "Princess Celestia"
Avatar by Celozon. Sig photos by me. Sig art by riddlestyx and Joojoo.
Bison

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby madrilenial » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Calix wrote:
bean. wrote:I have a question!

Yes! Every PTP is different, and some of them take more strongly after humans, while some act like regular snakes, with everything in between!

Okay, thanks for clearing it up! I was a little worried about my PTP forms for 31 and 32 being too human-like in personality...
┌─────────┐

Imagex

└─────────┘
┌───────────────────────┐

T.J. // they/them // ©

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
x

└───────────────────────┘
┌─┐

└─┘
madrilenial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blueh » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:14 am

marking :>

my reptiles (aka my personal pets)
1.1 Uromastyx geyri, 3.1 Uromastyx ornata, 1.0 Uromastyx acanthinurus nigriventris, 2.0 piebald ball pythons, 1.0 puma ball python

i study lizards & bugs and like animals

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
blueh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me