Adoptable Border Collies and Pups [Free]

Come adopt or share user-created adoptable species here.
Forum rules
These adoptables are not official CS pets and cannot be added to your CS account.
Art theft is not tolerated here. Do not copy/trace/edit/use anybody's pictures without their express permission.
If you are unsure, read the full art rules here.

Once-off adoptables belong in Character Sales and Design Shops: Forum/viewforum.php?f=69

Re: Adoptable Border Collies and Pups [Free]

Postby Dogs Can Bark » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:48 am

Atwood, I love your knowledge on dog genetics. ^.^ I breed Border Collies and Pembroke Welsh Corgis, so I know a bit about it. I had to learn about it since I have a black and white male and a red and white female. The male didn't carry any red in his lines so we only have black and white pups or tri colored ones. And when we got a red merle female, she had blue merle, black and white, and tri colored pups. I told my mom Jayden (red merle female) wouldn't have any red pups but she lacks of listening skills. >.<

...I know someone who bred two blue merle Great Danes together, supposively the double merle doesn't effect the Danes...
I am looking to trade away all my CS pets for Art, PM me if you are interested. I'm really only looking for more advanced artists. Include examples of your work please. :3

FurAffinity.DeviantArt.Lakota's Pets.The Haven
{ Formerly Tetra/Izancai/Lakota Many-More/Lakota ~/Zxy/.:Lakota/Collies can fly }
Dogs Can Bark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby albinoBroccoli » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:48 am

I'm never good with genetics...pretty much all I know is that kids usually get their parent's traits/features and calicos and tortoiseshell cats are almost always females. XD

charactersdatumblrask.fm

on hiatus
albinoBroccoli

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Atwood » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:26 am

Thanks, Izancai! ^^ I've studied genetics a great deal for my own interest, and I used to play around with this sort of thing for fun (creating animals with specific genetics and then crossing them). At one point I had a 'herd' of about 130 fictional horses, every one with a drawing, pedigree and genetic blueprint. Yes, I had a lot of free time when I was younger. :lol: From the descriptions, I'm guessing your boy and Jayden would be Aat/BB/mm and Aat/bb/Mm, so you're right: no chance of any red puppies there. All the pups will carry red though, because they'll all be Bb. ;)

Merle is the same gene in Great Danes as it is in border collies (as well as all merled herding breeds and dachshunds), so it unfortunately can produce double merles with all the same problems if two merles are bred together. The odd thing with the Danes is that merle can hide in the harlequins, so non-merled parents can have merle puppies. o.O It's due to the Harlequin gene overpowering Merle, so the parents might genetically both be merles but look like regular Harlequins. Their merled pups don't have the dominant Harlequin gene and can produce double merles with other merles. On rare occasion, double merles can be born from two Harlequins as well if they don't get the Harlequin gene from either parent. It's too bad merle isn't an accepted colour in Danes, because it occurs often and looks amazing on them. Merle Dane puppy
Atwood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Icesky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:08 pm

Atwood wrote:
Merle is the same gene in Great Danes as it is in border collies (as well as all merled herding breeds and dachshunds), so it unfortunately can produce double merles with all the same problems if two merles are bred together. The odd thing with the Danes is that merle can hide in the harlequins, so non-merled parents can have merle puppies. o.O It's due to the Harlequin gene overpowering Merle, so the parents might genetically both be merles but look like regular Harlequins. Their merled pups don't have the dominant Harlequin gene and can produce double merles with other merles. On rare occasion, double merles can be born from two Harlequins as well if they don't get the Harlequin gene from either parent. It's too bad merle isn't an accepted colour in Danes, because it occurs often and looks amazing on them. Merle Dane puppy

Wow, you have basically hit what we are learning in science, the merle is a recessive gene which is overpowered by the dominant non-merle... yadayada

x3

I like the new pups <3
x
x

x
"𝚠𝚎 𝚋𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚖 𝚞𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚕 𝚠𝚎 𝚊𝚌𝚑𝚎"

ᴀʀᴛ ꜱʜᴏᴘ
☾ ⋆ ☾ ⋆ ☾
ᴛʀᴀᴅᴇ ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ
☽ ⋆ ☽ ⋆ ☽

manga panel from witch hate atelier
Icesky

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dogs Can Bark » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:12 pm

I never got very in depth with it... Just going back into the dog's pedgree's, finding the colors by searching the dogs, and deciding whether the generation of dogs I have would get certain colors in their pups. (And seeing which color genes were more dominent.) It's sort of boring with the Corgis, since the Pem's usually have Sable, Fawn, and Tri colors. But we've recently gotten a 'Fluffy' female and if our Pem male carries the fluffy gene maybe we'll get one. But I doubt it, since even with two fluffs there's a slim chance of getting a fluffy. And some purely AKC breeders would be cautious of buying a dog with potential fluffy in them. But our dogs are more pets than anything.. So my mom didn't really worry about buying the fluffy.

Angel ((My red & white female.))
Dakota ((My black & white male.))
I'd show you a picture of Jayden, but I can't find one. She was really timid when we got her, and never really liked cameras. But all her pictures turned out sort of...Err.. Not really showing her.
I am looking to trade away all my CS pets for Art, PM me if you are interested. I'm really only looking for more advanced artists. Include examples of your work please. :3

{ Formerly Tetra/Izancai/Lakota Many-More/Lakota ~/Zxy/.:Lakota/Collies can fly }
Dogs Can Bark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Madame Butterfly » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:18 pm

Angel is beautiful. I don't know much about dogs, but I love her look ^^
Madame Butterfly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Atwood » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:20 pm

Wow, Angel's gorgeous - I love that deep chocolate shade she has - and Dakota's adorable! That heavy ticking on his face and legs is just too cute. ^^
Atwood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dogs Can Bark » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:48 pm

Dakota is the 'old style' Border Collie, so he has the thicker more stockily-built look. Then Angel is more of the sleek type of Border Collie people usually would picture them to be. Since the sleek look is more common, all of their pups are slender like Angel. And most of the pups have the spots on there legs, not as much as Dakota, but enough to tell.

Here are some of the pups (as adults):

Henry, Finnbar, Stuart, Elle, Lucky, Lucky (#2), Dakota II, Sharon (Jaydn x Dakota), Payton Cash, Shep, Bacardi, Koda, and Sophie just to show you a few of them. They are all black and white or tri. (Aside from Sharon but that's because Jaydn was her mum.)

Dogs Can Bark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Madame Butterfly » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:51 pm

Stuart and Shep look so wonderful in their pictures ^^ too cute!
Madame Butterfly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby albinoBroccoli » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:11 pm

Izancai wrote:Dakota is the 'old style' Border Collie, so he has the thicker more stockily-built look. Then Angel is more of the sleek type of Border Collie people usually would picture them to be. Since the sleek look is more common, all of their pups are slender like Angel. And most of the pups have the spots on there legs, not as much as Dakota, but enough to tell.

Here are some of the pups (as adults):

Henry, Finnbar, Stuart, Elle, Lucky, Lucky (#2), Dakota II, Sharon (Jaydn x Dakota), Payton Cash, Shep, Bacardi, Koda, and Sophie just to show you a few of them. They are all black and white or tri. (Aside from Sharon but that's because Jaydn was her mum.)

Wow, such beautiful pups! ^^

charactersdatumblrask.fm

on hiatus
albinoBroccoli

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me