tail two/second life - Love Is a Dangerous Game to Play

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

tail two/second life - Love Is a Dangerous Game to Play

Postby SilverSamurai » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:16 am

My life... Didn't exactly go as planned, to say the least. I was selfish and let my emotions get the better of me more than once, and it ruined not only my own life, but the ones I loved as well. Nothing I have ever known has prepared me for what I am about to face in my next life. Am I ready? No, not in the slightest. Would I do it all over again? Maybe

<< back to form

Last edited by SilverSamurai on Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 14 times in total.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

New Beginning

Postby SilverSamurai » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:32 am

From the time I opened my eyes again, I knew. Knew that Ari and Saki were no more, and I am left as a mere memory for those who knew me. As I peer up at my new parents, I can’t help but smile despite knowing this. Parents deserve the joy of their smiling child, even if they are suffering in silence.

I don’t remember much of my early years in my new life. I remember a small house on the edge of a royal city, a castle and its King in the center of the city. I remember a small plaza just outside my own home, other Viscetlings playing nonsense for days on end. I never joined them; I’m not really one for ‘playing’ anymore, I guess. Lilith watched them though, that much I do remember.

“I’m going out,” I called to my parents, waiving my tails behind me. “Votski! It’s getting late, why don’t you stay in?” My mother called back to me, but I inwardly sighed. “I’ll just be in the plaza,” I called back and shut the door behind me before my mother could convince my otherwise.

Once outside, I walked to the center where a rather large fountain spewed water in all directions. I stumbled up to sit on it, still not used to the awkward proportions of my once again Viscetling body. I peered into the rippling water in the pool below, staring ay my distorted reflection.

“You’re out later than usual, my dear.” I was half expecting the voice, yet it still startled me. I turned to see the familiar ghostly form of the short Shinigami. They nodded in greeting as they approached. They sat down next to me, struggling to get up as well due to their smaller than usual size. I growled lowly, not wanting to attract attention from the few Viscets that wandered the plaza a few feet away. “What do you want?”

They scoffed at my tone, “Relax, hon. Just thought you could use some company.” “As if I’d want company from the likes of you,” I murmured, lashing my tails behind me. They didn’t glance at me, but rather followed my gaze to the dark sky in the distance.

The small plaza led out of town with a wide dirt path, leaving into a dark forest as its path wound and narrowed. The sound of a river came from the distance, but no one ever talked about it. The air was quiet and still, neither of us breaking the silence for several minutes.

“Hey, Lilith,” I asked, waiting for the dark red ghost to respond. They hummed, and I continued. “Why’d you bring me here?” They finally tore their gaze from the bright stars in the sky, mimicking the patterns on their own coat. They tilted their head, “Bring you here? I don’t believe I did.” They stated simply, though it held a hint of sarcasm that otherwise would have been missed. I let it go, but tried a different approach. “Why this town?” They chuckled, “Thought you could use a chance of scenery, ‘ya know? Life a different kind of life.”

I looked around the plaza once more, Viscets slowly moving into their homes for the night. Such a different kind of life… I never knew the species could be so… civilized. Took some adjusting, but I’m fitting in… ok I guess.

A thought hit me, and I turned to Lilith, “Where do you like living, Lilith?” Their ears perked, and the moon glinted off the headdress as it turned to face me. “So chatty tonight,” They chuckled, but hesitantly answered. “When I was… rather new to my job, I guess, I lived in a small town with my mentor. I wandered for a bit, but I’ve always felt more at home with nature. I guess that’s why I wasn’t too upset about being bound to the Spirit Tree for centuries.” They laughed it off, but I could see the glint of sadness in their eyes.

“How’d you end up there in the first place?” I ventured, seeing as Lilith seemed to be in a chatty mood. They turned away, however. I could tell the conversation was over. “That’s a story for another day, my dear.” They sighed, flattening their ears once more. I didn’t push. I guess even Shinigami have sorrow and regrets.

“Votski!” A voice echoed through the clearing, startling both of us. “Where’d you run off to?” It was my mother, her voice filled with worry. “Coming!” I yelled back, and my mother seemed content with the answer and the door shut once more, left open a crack awaiting my return. I turned to Lilith, who chirped a snarky “See you around, Votski.” I pushed myself off the fountain and hurried back to my home, stumbling over my chubby legs.

I glanced back, but Lilith was nowhere to be seen.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Royal Meetings

Postby SilverSamurai » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:44 am

I found myself wandering the town often, even more often I would end up in front of the castle at the heart of the town. I’m not sure what it was, but I was drawn to the looming stone structure. I was old enough to walk on two legs by now, but I felt more comfortable walking on four for the time being. The guards at the edge of the castle teased me for it, but I paid them no mind.

My parents became increasingly worried as time went on as a result of my absence. I was in no danger, yet I guess parents will be parents, that much I could understand. My father joked with me on occasion, saying “If you like the castle so much, why not live there instead?” and honestly, at this point I wouldn’t decline the offer. So when I met the King himself one afternoon, I was shocked beyond belief at his offer.

“S-sorry!” I stuttered as I bumped into a taller Viscet, my feathers ruffling from embarrassment. “You’re fine, young one. I’m quite clumsy myself,” Came the tall males response. I looked up at him and my jaw nearly dropped, ears flattening upon realizing my situation. The King had come out for fresh air, and I had just run into him. Guards rushing over in worry and shouting at me, but the King raised his hand to silence them, his voice commanding but kind, “Hold back, I’m fine.”

“But the Viscetling-“ One guard responded in worry, but the King cut her off, “He poses no threat, as you can see. Fall back,” He said once more, his eyes sharp. He looked back down at me, his gaze soft once more, “What’s your name, little guy?” The feathers on my neck rose, “V-Votski, sir!” The King chuckled, raising his paw and scuffing it over my head.

“Well, Votski, how’d you care for a tour of the Castle?” The guards visibly stiffened, but the King wasn’t the least bit concerned. I hesitated, not sure if the King was serious or not, and waited for the tall male to continue, “I’ve seen you eyeing the Castle for the last couple weeks, don’t ‘ya think the inside would be more interesting?” He laughed, and I felt my face heat up. So even he noticed…

He turned to walk back up the path towards his royal home, his deep red cape billowing as he moved, and looked over his shoulder at me, “Are you coming or ‘ya just going to stand there and gawk at my offer?” A playful smirk on the Kings face, and I hesitantly followed him up and through the Castle gates.

Shortly after meeting the King, he must have seen the determination in my eyes; I was offered to stay and work in the Castle. My parents were sad to see me leave, but were very supportive and proud of me moving on with my own life, and with such an amazing opportunity.

I work as a maid figure, more or less. I upkeep the rooms in the Castle, which proved a difficult task on four legs and eventually forced me to walk on my hind legs to keep up. It wasn’t hard, but I was very busy. Of course, I had fun, too. The King took an interest in me, whether it was my youthful energy or my old soul coming through, I guess I’ll never really know.

The King liked his space for the most part, but he was by no means an introvert I notice. He was bold and outgoing when he was around others, but I saw the sad look he bore to no one in particular when he thought no one was looking. In a way I could understand him, but something always seemed off about him. He wasn't suspicious or anything, just... I can't really put my finger on it.

He would sneak down and take me into town, which was very dangerous in his position. I was never afraid because, well, he was the big boss of the place and if he wasn’t going to tell me otherwise, I had nothing to fear. His favorite spot was the edge of the woods, near my home, actually, where you could hear the crickets and the river in the distance. He didn’t speak much of his personal life, but whenever we stood in that spot the King had a certain glint of yearning in his sad eyes. I never asked him about it though.

“One day we’re gonna go find the source of the river, Vii” The King would tell me over and over, his voice light and carefree. “What about now?” I responded once, but the older male just laughed, “No, not now. A King’s got his duties,” I stuck out my tongue, a habit that seemed to stay with me through my generations, “Obviously they’re not important enough if you’re sneaking out with me!”

A sharp laugh and the King nudged me, “You got me!” he reached up and took the crown off his head, freeing the feathers on his head. He looked at it for a moment, that look of sadness in his eyes, and he gently placed it atop my head. “I’m getting tired of playing King, Vii.” He sighed, and I tilted my head, waiting for him to continue.

But he didn’t. The older male’s gaze was glued to something in the distance, and I tried to follow it. It was I who finally broke the silence, “What do you mean, Sir?” He shook his head with a sigh. “Being a King takes a lot outta you, kid. I’m getting too old for this.” I jumped in, “You’re not even that old though!” If only you knew how long I’ve lived.

I continued when he didn’t, “I don’t think it’d be that bad. You’ve got a lot of guards so you never have to worry. You’ve got lots of friends coming in and out to meet you, so you’re never lonely, and you’ve got someone else keeping the place tidy. That’d be the life!” I laughed, but noticed how the King eased a bit at my words.

The King leaned back and mumbled something to himself, chuckling. I didn’t inquire his words, but waited patiently for his response.

“Why don’t you give it a shot then, Vii?” My heart skipped a beat as I looked over at him, eyes wide in disbelief. The crown on my head slipping off, half too big for my head and half due to how quickly I snapped my head. “Sir?” I said quickly, and the King grinned. “The crown suits you, Votski. Think you could get used to it?”

I was speechless. I couldn’t believe what was happening, or why it was happening. I didn’t understand, “Why though, Sir?” I asked, still not giving an answer. His response was simple; “I’m getting old, kid. Maybe not in physical years, but mentally it takes a hellava toll.” His gaze went back to the forest, towards the river sounds. “And I would like to follow the river.”

I looked back into the dark woods, still not understanding. Not until I saw a faint outline, and the familiar Shinigami took up residence a mere few feet from our own spot. Was he looking for death? I didn’t want to think any more into it. I turned back to the sad looking King, my voice small, “I can try, Sir. But I don’t know how well I can do, compared to a great King like you…”

The King was quick to reply, “That’s why you’ll have the great King mentor you until the time is right.” Those words sent a chill down my spine that I didn’t even understand. When the time is right? “And when will that be?” I questioned, but I wasn’t ready for the answer. Lilith strode over, that all too familiar smirk wide across their face.

The King didn’t answer, but Lilith did in his place; “You’ll know, my dear.”
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Digging Up the Past

Postby SilverSamurai » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Months turn into years, and my training goes rather smoothly. I pick up on things rather quickly and make light work out of a lot of the things the King throws at me, much to his surprise. I am a shadow to him in recent months, ready to take over at any moment need be.

But when the day actually came, it wasn’t in a way that I had wanted.

The King had snuck out, which wasn’t unusual for him I knew. He never stopped going to that spot by the forest edge to peer into the dark wilds, even when I had grown too busy with his tasks to join him.

It didn’t really bother me until he started taking longer and longer to return at night, and I started to get worried. I tried confronting the King about it, but he was passive about it and never gave me a direct answer. The guards didn’t know, of course. What position was I in to give orders over the King?

No, what brushed my feathers the wrong way was the note I found one night. The King hadn’t said a word to anyone, but left his crown on his desk, which wasn’t unusual in typical situations, but he always took it with him when he went to the city’s edge. There was a folded note under the crown, which only had the words ‘I’m sorry’ scribbled into the center.

He didn’t come back that night, and I waited it out until morning to give him a chance to come back if he were to. But he didn’t. And just like that, the King was gone. But more importantly, I was left as heir to the throne.

I didn’t see Lilith that night, either. It took me a couple days to put the pieces together, but when the finally returned, I couldn’t look them in the eye.

“Did he make it?” I finally confronted them when I had the heart to, but they didn’t catch on. “Make what? The King is d-“ I cut them off, not wanting to hear those words. “Did the King make it to the river?” Lilith chuckled.

“Yeah, that’s where I found him. He’s never looked so peaceful.” They commented, turning away. I smiled at the thought.

It took a little while to get the hang of things on my own, but things eventually settled down.

In my youthful mindset and landslide of events, I had almost forgotten the events of my past life. A familiar Shinigami always seemed to show up just as my mind is about to block out the traumatic events I thought back to the fire that still swelled within me, but under much more control than it had been.

I’ve learned to control my fire for the most part, and what triggers it to swell out of control. I’m very prone to anxiety and it’s when I’m at my worst that it tends to bubble out of control, but I’m much more careful of my surroundings and relationships now. I’m isolated in a Castle to myself, after all. I chuckle at the thought of it now.

But above all else, I think back to Saki and Chronos, and the rest of my pack. Did the rest of the pack get out soon enough? Did Chronos make it out with Hikaru ok? Do they blame me? I couldn’t think about it often, feeling the fire swell in my throat whenever I did.

I have, however, order a patrol of guards to scout the area my pack settled in years back in my past life. Even if they don’t find anything… That’s ok, I guess. At first they questioned why I would order such a thing, but I shrugged it off, using the excuse “A King has to know the areas surrounding his city”. They didn’t push any more, even though I knew they were still suspicious.

Paperwork and agreements picked up as months went on, but I wasn’t overwhelmed by it. It was busywork and I was happy making something of my life, Lilith always watching from a windowsill or chair not too far away, never saying a word. I wonder what Shinigami do for fun…

Actually, I don’t want to know.

Scouters came and went, no odd reports or findings, but I pushed them on still, something in me not believe there was really no evidence that my pack nor I had existed merely years ago. I just didn’t want to believe it, but something in me knew it was a lost cause.

“I’m sorry, Sire. Nothing notable has been found in the areas you have specified.” They would say so calmly, my response always quick, “Have you tried the surrounding areas? Digging in the earth?” Each time I had new inquiries and ideas as to how they could go about with their search, but the results are always the same. “The area is very charred, everyone knows there was a fire in that area quite some time ago, I’m not sure I understand what you’re trying to find, Sire.”

My heavy sigh’s were not uncommon. “Sire! We-“ “Didn’t find anything, I know, I know.” I gripped my head in frustration, shaking my head to level the wave of anxiety building up. “Sir, we found something you might be interested in.” The lead scouter chirped, and my head snapped up, the crown atop my head threatening to fall.

My eyes went wide at the sight, and I was in disbelief. In the Scouters arms held an egg, a rather large one at that. I reached out and took it, holding the egg immediately bringing up memories I had suppressed for so long. “We found it amidst the charcoal, Sire. It seemed to be lightly buried by some rubble, and we’ve had our eyes on the area for a few days to see the parents.” One of the scouters commented softly but dutifully.

“And?” I replied, voice hushed and head still down, staring at the warm egg in my arms. “They never came, Sir. That’s why we brought it back to you.” I looked up at my Scouting team and nodded for the first time to them, “Good work, guys. You’re dismissed.” Their sighs were audible, but I wasn’t paying attention to them.

I padded a few feet to the corner of my large stone room to glance out the window; I could see the whole city from here, and even partially what lay beyond. I wish I could see the river from here, but it remained hidden even from this point of view.

I closed my eyes, taking in my current situation. I… I guess I’m raising another Viscetling. Am I ready? By myself? I’m sure it’ll be fine…

When I opened my eyes, Lilith’s was standing across from me, their gaze sharp and dangerous. I felt a chill go up my spine, and I subconsciously turned my body away from them. The ghostly Viscet took a step towards me, and past memories suddenly dug themselves up. I couldn’t protect Saki from Death… A low growl escaped from my throat in warning.

I wrapped my tails around my body protectively, but they pushed on, stopping only when they were a few feet away. Looking me dead in the eye, they held my gaze. It wasn’t as dangerous as it normally was though, but rather seemed… worried? That’s probably a generous thing to say for a Shinigami Lilith was the first to speak;

“You’re making the same mistake you did last time, Votski.” I snarled at them, but broke their gaze to look down at the egg. “Kindness is no mistake, Lilith.” I spat back. They chuckled, “Love is a dangerous game to play, my dear,” came the familiar sing-songed tone of the Shinigami. I cursed under my breath and held the egg tighter. “Stay out of this!” I warned, “Don’t you have someone else’s life to ruin?” I could feel the fire rising in my throat, but I held it back.

Lilith held up their arm, the Red String still dangling, “Not as long as we’re connected, honey~” They reminded me, and I shifted my paw enough to see the String tied still around my own wrist. Anger bubbled within me, but I let it go, seeing as it would get me nowhere in this situation. I shook my head and stood tall in a challenge,

“This is between you and me, Shinigami. Leave the Viscetling alone.”

“We’ll have to see about that, my dear.”
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

A Lark in the Trees

Postby SilverSamurai » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:13 am

It wasn’t long before the egg hatched, and my mind swirled with emotions. Of course I was happy; another life I get to raise, a welcome distraction from the harshness of life. And yet, I was saddened upon watching the Viscetling emerge from the egg. I was reminded of Chronos and the day he had hatched; memories that have been hidden and buried for so long are becoming harder and harder to hide.

What if Something happens? What if I can’t protect them? Even now, with the Viscetling just opening her wide eyes to stare up at me, I can’t help but feel guilty. I’m sorry, Chronos…

Her eyes were orange, nearly the same shade as one of Chronos’, and it always made me think of him when I looked down into her eyes. I wonder if he can See anything…? Anything of his future, or anything of me? I always laughed it off, of course he didn’t. He couldn’t

I named her Lark, her bird-like patterns doing the name justice. She definitely changed the pace of things within the Castle, that’s for sure. Days that were usually slow and daunting were now fast-paced and a bit exciting, everyone wanting to see and play with Lark. I only rarely shooed them off to get back to work. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves for a little while.

Except Lilith.

Though everything that has happened since the egg was brought into the Castle, Lilith seemed to grow more and more disapproving, though they never interfered.

I did notice Lilith slowly taking an interest in Lark, despite my warnings. They would normally back off and pretend they weren’t doing anything or staring at my Viscetling, but I could tell they were planning something.

It wasn’t until it happened that I realized I was too late.

“I don’t feel good,” Lark mumbled, slowly padding over to me while rubbing her eyes. I turned my attention away from my papers and picked her up, holding her in my arms as I asked, “What’s wrong, little songbird?” She always smiled when I used the nickname I had given her, but this time she didn’t.

“I donno, my tummy is weird and my head hurts.” My tails twitched. “Do you want some water?” I asked, and I glanced up at the guard who stood next to the door who seemed to understand and left to get a glass. Lark shook her head though, “I just want to lay down.” Her voice was weak, and I was worried she had caught something. It’s getting colder after all.

“Ok honey, that’s alright,” I whispered to her as she cuddled into my arms. I got to my feet and carried the young Viscet down the hall and into her room. I parted the canopy around her bed and gently lay her down, taking care to tuck her in and make her comfortable. As I stood back, she looked up at me with wide eyes. “What is it honey?” I asked, but Lark didn’t say anything. “Night daddy” She whispered, and my heart ached from her words. “Good night, Lark.” I murmured as I stepped out of her room and into the hallway.

Closing the door, I sighed, shaking out my anxiety-driven thoughts. I stopped at the doors to my personal office room, greeting the guard who now held a glass with water, but her only greeting was a nod in my direction. I nodded back, but added “You must be tired after a long day,” The guard tried to shake her head and say “No Sire, I’m fi-“ “Please, go rest up.” I cut her off, and she bowed her head. “Thank you Sire, it’s very much appreciated.” Came the guard’s response, slowly walking down the narrow hallway before disappearing around a corner.

I sighed once more, appreciating the alone time I now had. I reached forward and pushed open the doors. Lilith sat in my chair, patiently awaiting my return. I let out a low growl when I saw them, but she Shinigami spoke first, “What’s gotten into you, Vii?” I quickly closed the doors behind me, not wanting anyone to hear my talking to myself. “Don’t call me that,” I yelped at them, but they chuckled. “Oh I’m sorry dear, did I hit soft spot?”

I didn’t respond. My tails twitched uncomfortably and I took the crown off my head, freeing the feathers that were not crumpled and stuck out in various directions. I quickly smoothed them out.

“Lark had been quite the busy bee recently, hasn’t she?” Lilith commented, and I glanced over at them, raising an ear. They continued, “She reminds me of you a few year ago, sneaking out to be in the city.” I huffed, but my tone remained steady as I shook my head. “I know, it’s not like I haven’t noticed.” “Then why aren’t you doing anything about it?” came the Shinigami’s response, and I stopped to think about their strange question. I guess a Spirit of Death wouldn’t really know anything about raising a child, after all. I laughed lowly at the thought.

“You don’t understand, Lilith.” I sighed after a few moments. “You can’t fully chain a child, they need their freedom and independence.” I tried to explain, but Lilith was still confused. “So you’ll let them run around and do whatever they want?” they asked, and I bit my tongue and hissed my quick reply, “It’s not like that and you know that, Lilith.” They smirked, “What do I know of mortal life, my dear?” came Lilith’s snarky response.

My tails lashed, and I leaned back against the stone wall opposite of Lilith, who still sat in my chair. I chose to ignore their last comment, “She does know better. I’ve told her the dangers of leaving the Castle, but I understand. I was in her position all those years ago as well.” In a way, I’m happy for her, getting out and making her own friends and adventures, yet a little sad that I can’t be apart of them.

I glanced up at the Shinigami, locking eyes with those cold green ones. Something glinted in those chill eyes, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. They barked a low response as they stood up, “Be sure to tell your daughter about the dangers of meeting new people, alright dear?” They moved to the center of the room, but I didn’t move.

What do they mean, of course Lark would know that. Who could be so dangerous-

I tensed, feeling the flames creep up in my throat. “Lilith, don’t you dare-“ The words caught in my throat as that wide grin crept across their face, those sharp teeth shown in a confident smirk across the Shinigami’s face. They didn’t have to say anything, and I already knew.

“I told you not to get involved!” I yelped, snarling at the small ghostly Viscet. They shrugged and remained silent. The feathers along my spine stood on end, and I felt all the anxiety-driven thoughts hit me at once.

Lark is sick. That same slow decline of illness I went through in my previous life. I wouldn’t wish that pain upon anyone.

What if she suffers? She doesn’t have very long to live now. Has she been hiding her illness? I knew all too well the symptoms and how easy they were to hide. How long has she been suffering in silence?

… does she blame me?

Anger swirled in my mind, replacing all my toxic thoughts with rage, all the while fueling the fire within me. I couldn’t hold it in any longer, and I let out a breath of fire in the smaller Viscet’s direction. They easily stepped to the side, and I lunged at them. They weren’t expecting my sudden attack, and couldn’t avoid me.

But I couldn’t grasp them. I fazed through them as if they were no more than a mist; a hologram of my mind. I felt their presence, but when attempting to touch was nothing more than a too-cold concentrated draft of air. I gasped as I hit the stone floor rather hard, not able to land in time as I rolled to the side, eyes still locked on the cold green ones of Lilith.

They chuckled and took a step towards me, forced sympathy laced in their voice, “What’s wrong, my dear? Did I do something wrong?” I growled and quickly scrambled to my feet, “You know damn well, Shinigami. Leave me alone, Lilith.” I warned, but was quickly answered with a tug at the String on my wrist, “That wasn’t part of the deal, Ari.”

“What do you mean I can’t go outside?” Lark screeched, but I frantically shook my head. “Not until you’re better, honey.” “I’m fine, dad!” I gave her a look of concern, and she wiggled in place. “Please,”

I sighed, giving into her wide eyes. What a weakness. “Fine,” I gave in, “One last time, you hear me?” “Okay!” She chirped, already bolting off out of the gates and into the city. “Be careful, you hear me?” I yelled to her, but it was too late.

One time turned into two, and then four, and I was growing more and more concerned. Lilith had backed off a bit, sitting quietly at the sidelines and watching the days pass. I didn’t know if their lack of involvement was welcome or more concerning.

“Lark, listen to me,” I sat her down as she had tried to run off into the city again. She looked up at me, her ears red with embarrassment. “I know, I know, I am being careful!” she replied, not looking me in the eye. I shook my head, “No. I don’t want you going outside anymore.” When she looked up, tears filled her eyes. My chest tightened. I had to look away, unable to meet her sad eyes.

“It’s for your own good, Lark. I don’t want you to get more sick…” I trailed off, knowing her pain but admiring her will to fight it. Is this what Lilith had told me all those years ago, that they were surprised I had made it so long?

Lark got to her feet, her tail dragging behind her as he moved past me. “I hate you,” She mumbled under her breath, hardly audible but I heard it clear as day. It made my blood run cold, and my emotions surged to the surface. She really does blame me… Unable to speak, I let her go without a word.

A few days past that felt like years. Lark refused to speak to me, and avoided me like the plague, but remained in the Castle. Little work got done, the papers beginning to pile on my desk as I sat in silence, Lilith merely enjoying the sight of the city from the window behind me.

“Sire,” A guard knocked at the door and let himself in, causing both myself and the small Viscet behind me to jump at the sudden sound. “Y-yes, what is it?” I responded, attempting to clear my thoughts. “The Princess is attempting to escape, Sire. We thought you should be alerted of such.” He hesitated, not wanting to intrude on either of our personal lives. I stood with a heavy sigh, moving slowly across the room, “I’ll be right down, I guess.”

When I arrived at the Castle gates, the sight of my daughter hugging a stranger to death greeted me, the stranger standing in silence, not quite understanding the situation enough to make a move.

One of the guards standing at the gates motioned to me, and I stepped closer to hear what she had to say, “A Viscetling was asking for the Princess, Sire. Before we knew it, the Princess had jumped out and onto the other.” I nodded, chuckling. As expected of her. I turned to Lark, who met my gaze. Her eyes were full or sadness, but I could see the frustration just behind the surface of them. “Lark, you know better,” I started, but my daughter sighed.

She untangled herself from the taller female friend and approached me, standing tall in front of me. Gosh, where has the time gone. My little girl is all grown up, and I missed it.

I missed it. My daughter grew up right under me, and I hardly had any impact on her life. I promised I wouldn’t do this again.

The Princess’ sharp tone snapped me from my reoccurring toxic thoughts, “I don’t care, dad. This is my friend, her name is Sor-“ I cut her off, remembering my orders from several days previous. I just want her to be safe… “This is dangerous, Lark. I’ve told you about the dangers of being outside, about talking to strangers,” I went on, but Lark lashed her tail in frustration. “She’s not like that!” We both glanced at the tall grey Viscet a few feet away, who sunk closer to the ground at our heavy gazes.

I shook my head, “I’m not taking any chances, honey. This isn’t a warning anymore,” I paused, seeing how her eyes widened and her feathers flattened. I pushed away the pain in my chest and continued, “I’m assigning guards to you from now on to ensure you stay in the Castle.” My tails flared out in warning, Before either of us could say anything, the unknown Viscet stepped forward. She stood tall in front of the both of us, catching both of our attentions.

“I want to do it,” She said in a quiet voice, but repeating herself after seeing that nobody understood her words. “I want to be the Princess’ guard, if you’ll let me Sire.”

She bowed her head low, and Lark’s eyes met my own in a silent plea. I let out another heavy sigh,

“If you’re serious, pack your things and be here at dawn. Your training will start immediately.”
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Collapsing In

Postby SilverSamurai » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:15 am

Soren, as she was called, proved to be a very loyal friend of Lark. I started her in the same position the previous King had assigned to me; cleaning and tidying. Her training was early and was very stressing and tiresome, but she never gave up. I would oversee a few of the lessons, and more than a couple times I would catch Lark gazing at her friend from a distance, a longing look in her tired eyes.

As Soren grew stronger and more able to perform her duty, Lark’s health deteriorated by the day. It reminded me too much of myself, and I hated it. Both the feeling of being trapped in a dying body and of once again losing someone I hold dear. I felt even more sorrow for Soren; the pain of seeing her friend in this kind of pain, I couldn’t bare it any longer.

“Are you ready for your final test, Soren?” I asked, making up my mind. As much as I hate this situation, it’s all I can do to protect the both of them in the end. My head spun with the outburst from Lark that was bound to happen.

“I am, Sire.” Came the tall grey Viscet’s reply, and I nodded to the guards on either side of her, who stepped back in a bow. Soren’s eyes lit up, but mine filled with sorrow. I broke her gaze, rather glancing at the guards as I spoke my next words, “Guards, please escort Soren out of the Castle.”

All heads snapped to stare at me, and I looked back into the wide eyes of my daughter’s closest friend. “You’ve done great, Soren. No one can deny your outstanding potential. But,” I trailed off, looking for the right words. “I want you to go on a journey.” “i… I’m not sure I understand, Sire.” Soren responded calmly, her eyes betraying her fear.

“I want you to understand not only Lark, but yourself as well. Explore the area, find your true self. Discover your strengths and weaknesses on your own, and you will find your true strength.” I explained, surprising myself at how adult I sounded, despite my age and knowledge.

“Sire-“ She yelped, but I cut her off, “To know other’s, you must first know yourself. Go out and find yourself, and don’t come back until you understand.” My words harsh, but I was desperate at this point. She didn’t put up a fight as the guards escorted her to the Castle gates. I follow shortly behind, and Soren looked back once she was past the gates. I nodded to her, but she called back.

“When will I know it’s time?” I thought out my response, but one haunting phrase surfaced once more to serve as my only reply,

You’ll know,

“What do you mean she’s gone??” Lark shrieked, her tail lashing.

“Listen honey, she’s finishing up her training-“ I tried to explain, but the Princess wouldn’t let up. “None of the other guards went through anything like that!” I sighed, not able to deny her claim.

“You just don’t want me to be happy!” I tensed at her words, and snapped back without thinking, “That’s a lie!” my voice echoed off the walls, surprising both of us. I tried again, quieter this time, “I… I just want you to be happy, Lark. I really do want the best for you.” I couldn’t deny the tightening in my chest once more, and I struggled to keep the flames down.

Tears filled her eyes, and I felt awful. “Lark, honey,” I moved forward to embrace my daughter, but she moved away. “I’ve never been happy here, why can’t you understand that…” she trailed off and locked her gaze on the floor. I lowered my arms, feeling the String around my wrist for the first time in a while. “I’m sorry…” I murmured, but had nothing more to say. The thoughts swirled in my head once again.

Would she have been better off without me? What if the Scouters never found her? What kind of life would she lead?

How long has she suffered like this? How long has she been unhappy? It’s too late now, there’s no way to make up the lost years.

I’ve truly lost it all, haven’t I?

Thoughts quickly turning to rage, I spun around and hurried out of the room. Lark didn’t try to stop me, but still looked concerned. I ran down the narrow stone hallway and into my private room, the small red ghost swinging their legs on the edge of my desk. My eyes narrowed at the sight of them. “Hey,” they called, hopping off the desk and standing at the far side of the room. My feathers bristled in anger, it was their fault. This whole thing was their fault.

Familiar green flames pooled at the back of my throat as I rushed at Lilith without hesitation. They stood their ground, a wide smirk visible even under the bleached skull headdress. “Why?!” I yelped, my voice echoing off the cold stone walls. They didn’t budge, but responded lowly, “Why what, dear? I’m not sure I know what-“ I cut them off, flames swirling out of my mouth as I snarled back, “You know exactly what you’ve done, Shinigami. She was innocent, I warned you to stay away from her!”

“That’s not what I do, hon. If I recall correctly, I had also warned you about this.” I froze, recalling Lilith’s harsh warning from years ago. I cursed again, eyes narrowing when words did not come. Lilith let out a laugh as I took a step back, but I shot a sharp glare in their direction.

Shouting from down the hall broke my thoughts, and my eyes went wide. “The princess has collapsed!” called a voice, and I felt dizzy. My legs threatening to give out at any moment, I lowered myself to four legs once more, feeling more stable in my condition. My mind raced, It won’t end this way… Not this time.

“You look puzzled, my dear. See a ghost?” Lilith taunted from afar, but I wouldn’t give into it. I still have time… I lashed my tails, skimming over my options before deciding on one. “Call a doctor!” I cried, rushing out the doors. “Are you all right, Sire?” A guard nearby questioned, taking a step back at the wild glint in my eyes. “Quickly, call the doctor. My daughter…. Lark is in grave danger!” I was frantic, and the guard hurried down the hallway shouting orders.

“It’s no use, you know,” Lilith’s voice was close, but I flattened my ears and growled, “Stay out of this,” I knew they wouldn’t, but I didn’t want to think about that right now. In this moment, I wanted to focus on Lark. I needed to save her.

“Hold on a little longer Lark, I’m coming…” I whispered to myself as I hurried down the hall to her room, our fight from mere minutes ago replaying in slow motion in my head. I couldn’t fight my tears any longer and I felt a warm tear roll down my face.

“I’m sorry…”
Last edited by SilverSamurai on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Sudden but Expected

Postby SilverSamurai » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:57 am

I stood her Lark’s bed frozen in place, my hand still holding her cold one, afraid to let go. Lilith stood quietly behind me, seeming to enjoy the moment.

I whispered unintelligible words down at my daughter, fully knowing she wouldn’t
hear them, but spoken none the less. ”What will you do now?” came Lilith’s quiet question, and to my surprise there was no hint of threat in it. I shook my head, my lip quivering as I tried to speak. “I’m not sure…” My voice cracked as I spoke, and I didn’t fight the tears this time.

“Sire,” a guard called from the doorway, but I didn’t respond. The guard cleared his throat and tried again, a bit louder this time, “Sire, Soren has returned.” My head snapped up, my mind swirling with past thoughts;

I sent her away so she wouldn’t be pained with this burden, what am I to say to her now?

I bet she would blame me too, if she knew.

She probably hates me, I know I would.

There has to be another way, a way to change all this…

I thought back to the recent documents I’ve signed, skimming them over in my head trying to remember if there was anything that stuck out in them. Guidelines, rule updates, monthly reports, city inventory, rumors I should be aware of…

That’s it.

I pushed myself off the bedframe as I gathered my thoughts and planned my next move, trying to piece the odd pieces together but not quite given the limited information.

“Sire-“ the guard tried once more, but I cut him off with an angry yelp, “Bring her in,” One of the papers I had looked over was a list of all citizens in the city, their living quarters, family, and occupations listed next to them. It was crucial to maintaining the wellbeing of the city, knowing whose here and what potential they may bring if needed. At the bottom, names of travelers, merchants, and visitors were also listed as temporary residents. One stood out to me now;

Aiakos, young male, appearance; unknown, eye color; possibly yellow, occupation; life force magic (?), residence; unknown

Little was known about this mysterious Viscet, but he was my only hope at this point. Hang on, Lark. Just a little longer… I chanced a glance at Lilith, but they said nothing, offering me a dangerous smirk instead. I huffed and turned away from them, what was I expecting, sympathy? Advice? Comfort? The Shinigami offered none of those things

“Lark!” A shrill cry came from the familiar young Viscet who burst through the doors. I hung my head in shame, not wanting to make eye contact with my daughter’s best friend. With a heavy sigh, I composed my thoughts and glanced over at her, “So you did come…” I mumbled, voice weak.

She nodded and slowly padded over to me, though she didn’t speak. “I’m afraid you’re… too late, however,” I went on, my gaze falling to the floor once more before closing completely. The air was heavy with silence, a cloud of uncertainty and sorrow hung over the room. Soren spoke after several minutes, “Why did you send me away?” Of all the words she could have said, those were the ones I was regretting the most.

“Soren… I’m sorry.” I responded lowly, voice threatening to crack again. Soren took a step back, her gaze burning into my coat and making my feathers shift. The guards at the doorway raised their weapons and tensed, sensing the uneasiness between us. I raised my hand and motioned to the guards, feeling the tight String again, “Stay out of this,” I told them, and they lowered their weapons, though remained tense.

With a heavy sigh, I reached up and took the crown off my head, staring at my reflection on its spotless gold surface. I ran a paw through my crumpled feathers atop my head. “Lark was… sick,” I started, finally composing myself enough to tell Soren the truth.

“She’s been ill since a young age, and I never wanted her to leave the Castle… It was too dangerous, the outside world. I thought I could protect her, if she stayed in here.” I chuckled, trailing off with my own feelings, but I went on, “But then she met you. She was out more often than ever, putting more stress on her body. I tried convincing her otherwise, but you know how Viscetlings are,” I laughed, but Soren stood frozen to her spot, her gaze wavering.

Neither of us spoke for a while. It was Lilith who broke the silence, “Way to go, Votski. Learn to talk to other Viscet’s, will ‘ya dear?” They chuckled, sitting back in amusement. I shot them a heavy glare in warning, and their raised their hands in defense. I turned my attention back to the tall grey Viscet in front of me, and Soren hesitated, but whispered her next question;

“Why did you let me stay, then?” Her voice small, almost afraid of the answer herself. I let out a heavy sigh as I watched the younger female’s feathers bristle with anger, as I had expected. “It’s what Lark wanted…” I turned to lean on the bedframe once more and hung my yeah as Soren replied, her voice rising with anger, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

I had no answer. Soren lashed her tail in frustration, and I could tell she was just as upset over this situation as I was. I’m sorry…[/]

I ran over my options once more before making up my mind. I turned to the guards and startled them as I growled lowly, “I would like to speak in private with Soren.” “But Sire-“ I walked over and closed the door before they could say any more. “Aiakos…” I mumbled under my breath. [i]I don’t have much to go off of, or even if this will work, but…

But it’s my only hope

“I-I’m sorry?” Soren was confused, but I said louder, “Aiakos. Do you know anything about him?” The grey female took a step back, a hint of fear in her eyes. “N-no, why-“ My mind was racing, and I spoke louder, trying to speak over my own toxic thoughts, “A Viscet build from rumors, he is. Seen by few, known by none…”

“Sir, I don’t understand,” Soren shook her head, but I caught her gaze, her eyes wide as I spoke my next words; “He specializes in dark magic and is said to be able to retie life forces.” Soren stood in silent disbelief, but Lilith was the one to speak up.

“That’s a bit risky, don’t you think?” they mumbled, perhaps a bit concerned. I shot them a dangerous gaze and snarled my response, forgetting Soren could not see the Shinigami a few feet behind them, “It’s all I can do!”

They both looked surprised at my sudden outburst, Soren because we were the only living Viscets in the room and Lilith because they didn’t think I’d actually respond with someone else around. “What-“ Soren started, looking around and getting anxious herself, but I cut her off, “Aiakos is in town, but that’s all I know. I want you to find him and bring him back here.”

Soren shook her head, staring in disbelief into my wild eyes. “Sir, I don’t think-“ “Go! This is an order!” I cried, getting frantic. I flared out my tails and felt the fire rising in my throat, and Soren looked terrified. She scrambled past me with wide eyes, slamming through the doors and down the hallway. I let out a heavy sigh and sat back on my haunches, running a paw over my forehead.

“That went well,” Came Lilith’s snarky response. I shot them a look that could kill, but said nothing. “Are you really going to try to bring Lark back?” they asked, and I was taken aback at the softness in their voice. I shook my head and looked over at them, “I… I don’t know, Lilith. It’s the only thing I can try…” I glanced back at Lark, who lie in her bed with a peaceful expression on her face. I wonder if I had the same expression when I died all those years ago… I looked away, my heart swelling in a mix of pain and frustration.

They slowly sat down next to me, glancing into my teary eyes. For the first time they seemed… alive. They showed no signs of threat and I relished the moment while it lasted. For the first time, they felt like a friend. The only proof I had lived my previous life. “You should get some sleep for now, my dear.” They commented. I sighed, getting to my feet and looking down at them. I don’t know what possessed me to smile at them, but I was surprised when they returned the gesture, however slight.

As I padded down the narrow hall back to my room, my mind was blank. No anxious thoughts, no worries, no anger, just… empty.

I flop down into my bead, giving into my tired heavy eyes.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Here, But Only Just

Postby SilverSamurai » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:49 pm

When I awoke, the pale morning light burned my still tired eyes. I blinked the sleep away and sat up, gathering my thoughts. Oh, right. I let out a heavy sigh and shook myself out, smoothing out my feathers and putting the golden grown on my head before padding to the wide doors across the room. Lilith was nowhere to be seen, but I wasn’t worried about it. It wasn’t uncommon for them to disappear for days or even months on end, after all.

“Sir,” a guard greeted me as I stepped out of my room, and I nodded at her. “The young guard has returned, Sire.” She said, and I froze in place. I glanced at the guard, who said nothing more but motioned to the main hall downstairs. I hurried down, flicking my tails in appreciation.

In the center of the wide hall stood a mass of guards surrounding a few Viscets. As I got closer, I recognized Soren by the pink feathers along her spine, but the other… Viscet, I didn’t recognize. My eyes narrowed at their appearance; they stood tall and confident, a dark, heavy cape cloaking most of their body. They bore a large, bleached white skull headdress with careful details carved and painted into it; a wild plume of orange-gold feathers jutting out the back, covering what little area of their neck that the cloak did not. Around them a yellow wisp swirled, staying close to their body.

My breath caught in my throat at the sight; another Shinigami…?

No, it seems like the guards can see them. So then…

“Aiakos?” I called out in question, but my voice was firm. The tall masked Viscet turned to me, the yellow wisp moving with them. I took a step forward and the guards parted to let me confront the pair. Soren was the first to speak, “I brought him, Sire.” She bowed her head, though I noticed her small step back. I hadn’t meant to scare her… My gaze traveled up to the new Viscet, his eyes glowing under the headdress. Too similar to Lilith…

“Thank you, Aiakos.” I started, nodding to him. He nodded back, but hesitantly spoke, “What’s this about?” I chuckled as I heard audible gasps around me from the new Viscet’s straight-forwardness and the lack of respectful terms. “This,” I started, “is about my daughter. She passed recently…” I trailed off, swallowing the lump that had built up in my throat.

“And I believe there’s still hope. That’s where you come in,” I said, a smirk growing on my features, “I’ve heard of what you do, Aiakos, and I want you to help.”

He chuckled, tilting his head a bit, “And if I refuse?” His voice was bold, not wavering even slightly. He might as well be a Shinigami based on his attitude, I laughed to my self, but took a step towards him, now face to face with Aiakos. “That’s not something I had planned for.” I whispered to him, and he seemed to take the hint. The taller Viscet nodded, and my eyes gleamed as bright as the crown atop my head.

It didn’t take long for Aiakos to settle in. In fact, all it took was a large meal and he was right at home and willing to comply.

I ordered the guards to rest for the rest of the day. I didn’t want them to interfere with anything, and they were pretty worn out after the events of yesterday. They were hesitant, especially with a strange Viscet in the Castle, but I reassured them. I had Soren nearby, after all. She went though training and could act in their place if anything were to happen.

As the moon began to rise in the sky, the sun cast a bright orange glow across the city, streaming in through the windows and creating an off-feeling within the Castle halls. “Are you ready?” I asked them both, but neither of them answered. Soren hung her head, probably mentally preparing herself for what was about to come. Aiakos, on the other hand, looked more anxious than I was. Uncertainty shown in his bright eyes as he glanced around nervously. Lilith was waiting at Lark’s bedroom doors, and I stopped mid-step upon seeing them.

“You’re going to regret this, dear.” Came the sing-songed voice of the Shinigami. “Of course I am,” I scoffed under my breath, earning puzzled looks from the two Viscet’s accompanying me.

Stepping past Lilith, they made no attempt to stop me as I pushed open the wide doors, feathers standing on end as I look into my daughter’s room once more. I let them inside, Lilith following closely behind as I closed the doors behind us.

I slowly moved to Lark’s bedside, all eyes on me as I gently took her cold paw. The familiar ache in my heart was back, and I glanced over to Aiakos, who seemed understand. “Can it be done?” I asked, my voice hushed, as if I was afraid to wake my daughter from sleep. Aiakos didn’t answer, but padded up to me. I looked up at him, but he murmured lowly, “…I’m not so sure myself, but I can try.”

I watch in silence as he reached down to rest his paws over Lark’s body, his eyes fluttering closed, and the room went silent.

Seconds stretched to minutes, and minutes felt like hours, and all I could do was take in the stillness of the room. That yellow wisp still floating around the mage’s body, but it seemed brighter now, and quite a bit faster.

After what seemed like an eternity Aiakos withdrew his hands, eyes opening slowly and the wisp slowed to its normal swirling rate. “I’ve done what I can,” he said calmly, his voice sounding distant. He stepped back to stand next to Soren, waiting patiently while observing his work. The air was heavy with anxiety, stuffy and choking.

A few moments later, Lark twitches, and my breath caught in my throat, followed closely by an audible gasp from Soren. Lilith sighed, dismissing herself from the situation and backing out of the room, but I could tell they hadn’t gone far.

Lark’s breathing was quick and frantic, but shortly leveled itself. “Lark…?” I asked quietly, not knowing where to start. Did she remember our argument? Did she hate me? “Dad…” her voice was weak, and I leaned down to embrace her still cold body, feeling my muscles relax a bit upon feeling her breath on my feathers.

A glint of pride filled Aiakos’ eyes, and he stood taller, while Soren still stood in disbelief, unable to fully process the situation.

“Why…” Lark started but trailed off, and I lifted myself away from her to lean at her bedside once more, waiting for her to continue. “Why did you do that?” She asked weakly, staring straight past me. I followed her gaze, only to lock eyes with Aiakos. When I looked back at Lark, she was sitting up now, but her appearance was changing.

The soft feathers along her spine were molting rapidly, being pushed out by… Bones? She let out a small whine as the bones slowly took form, surrounding her body and fully taking the place of her mane. Her head bore the top portion of a skull, long horns sprouting from each side, imitating the slick feathers that were there until moments ago.

My eyes widened, snapping my head to glare at Aiakos, who narrowed his eyes upon meeting my stare. “What have you done?” I snapped at Aiakos, who barked back, “I did what I was told!” I felt flames lapping in the back of my throat, anger rising. “I didn’t want this!” I yelped, but Aiakos growled back, holding his ground, “What did you want, then?[/i]”

I cursed under my breath and shook my head violently, rushing out of the room. I didn’t have to step out more than a few feet before I saw Lilith, looking out a huge window that oversaw the forest behind the city. “What’s going on?” I growled to Lilith, my voice low and rushed. Lilith couldn’t look less concerned, shrugging. “Well, Lark died yesterday, and you sent the little guard to find Aiakos, who-“

I hissed at them, a few stray flames escaping my mouth as I retorted, “Not that, I’m not in the mood Lilith. I mean what’s happening to my daughter? She’s sprouting bones in place of her feather crest!” Again, Lilith shrugged. “I warned ‘ya, dear” “When!” I challenged quickly, and they glanced at the doorway to Lark’s room. “When you were going in there a bit ago, I told ‘ya it was a bad idea, but you didn’t listen, as usual.” They chuckled, amusement gleaming in their eyes and I grew more frustrated.

You knew this would happen,” I snarled, and Lilith nodded. Their voice calm and collected, completely contrasted to mine, “As what happens when someone is touched by dark magic.” My eyes went wide, and I backed off a bit. So this was my fault.

It’s always my fault. If I hadn’t involved Soren or Aiakos…

Lark hates me; I’ve made it worse. Can she be happy? Will she ever be happy?

….. What will happen to her now?

I shook my head, attempting to rid the toxic thoughts slowly taking over my mind. I lashed my tails, anger creeping back into my flooded mind. I turned on my heels and hurried back into the room, the other Viscet’s still standing in the middle of the darkening room. Lark stood among them. All eyes snapped to me as I stormed through the wide doors once more.

Aiakos,” I growled, making the taller male in question stand taller, but he didn’t move nor speak. “Did you know this would happen?” He hesitated for a moment, carefully holding my gaze, but responded, “Not exactly. I’m not used to organisms this large, so I wasn’t sure what would happen.” Fire rose in my throat, but I pushed it down.

My gaze moved to Soren, who looked downright terrified, frozen to her spot and glancing around nervously, as if searching for her escape route. When my gaze finally settled on Lark, my heart lurched in pain. I didn’t want this… My beautiful daughter, now scarred by dark magic… I hated seeing her like this; the confused, pained expression in her eyes to match her shaking body, now covered in bones. I hated it.

I had wanted my daughter back, but not… Not this.

This isn’t my daughter any more, but a monster in her place.

I can’t stand looking at her, it only brings me pain.

My lip quivered and I turned my attention to the floor, hunching over a bit. After a few moments of composing my thoughts and thinking over my next move, I took a deep breath and rose my head high, locking eyes with Soren and Aiakos for a second before settling on Lark’s. “Leave.” I said calmly.

All three Viscet’s eyes went wide, staring back at me in disbelief. “Dad-“ Lark stepped forward, but I took two steps back. I lowered my gaze, no longer as confident as I was before. What am I doing…? “Be gone, none of you are welcome in this place.”

My hear hurt, and I took the crown off my head. I thumbed at the finer details, finding distraction comforting in the moment.

Soren had finally snapped. She put her foot forward, surprising the rest of us, especially Lark, who watched her friend with wide eyes. “Sire- No, Votski.” She started, and my ears perked upon hearing my name in such a disrespectful tone. Certainly a first from the grey Viscet, and probably not the last, seeing how things were playing out.

The pink-maned Viscet continued, “This is your daughter!” I cut her off with a yelp, my emotions getting the better of me, “This Viscet is no daughter of mine! She was here, but then she was changed, stolen, by the very Viscet next to you!” I turned on Aiakos, lashing my tails and flaring my feathers out. Aiakos didn’t even flinch.

“How can you say that?!” Soren yelped back, her voice rising in newfound anger, “This is what you wanted, and yet you turn away from it when it doesn’t come out perfectly! You’re a coward, Votski! Wanting something but when things get messy you just push them away!” Her own feathers bristled. I felt flames swelling in my throat from her words, and my eyes narrowed.

“Don’t you dare call me that; you don’t know me, you hardly know yourself!” I stepped forward, feeling my patience with the trio dwindling. “I said leave.” I snarled at them, feeling a few flames slip past my clenched teeth. Their eyes widened as words caught in their throats. Lark stepped forward, eyes wet and glassy-looking. “Is that really what you want, dad?” her voice was almost a whisper, voice steady but full of hurt.

I only nodded, lowering my head as I was unable to hold the gaze I had longed to see again; it only brought me pain.

“…Let’s go,” Lark said, slowly padding past me, feeling the familiar feathers brushing against mine as she purposefully bumped into me. I chanced a glance up, but she refused to look at me. I watched her walk past; each step seemed to be in slow motion. Soren and Aiakos followed closely behind, neither of them saying anything; though the former probably would if she knew she could get away with it.

After they left, my legs gave out and I sunk to the ground, not attempting to try to move, let alone get up. I felt the coldness of the stone floor seep into my feathers as anxiety crept through my being once more.

Why did you do that? It was for the best. Was it really?

It was a success! But it didn’t go as planned.

Were Soren’s words true? Was I a coward, just running from my problems?

No, of course not. Then why would she say that?

She doesn’t know me.

….

Do I really know me?

Before I knew it, darkness enveloped me as I drifted into sleep.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

A New King

Postby SilverSamurai » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:50 pm

Days came, days past. Lilith appeared only to taunt me, it seemed. They said nothing, but I knew if I spoke up I would be met with some snarky comment, so I kept my mouth shut.

No work was done; I can’t focus. Every time I sit down and try to focus on something, my thoughts race back to everything that’s happened in the past few days; To Lark, Soren, Aiakos, those strange bones, even to Chronos and Saki. I’ve let them all down, and I was left to remember.

I hadn’t noticed how old I had grown in this life until recently; the stress and pain starting to show in the form of old age. Lilith probably had a comment, but I didn’t want to hear it. Not now.

Everyone in the Castle seemed to be worried for me, bringing me plates of food and water every few hours, even random visits from Viscet’s I normally wouldn’t see. I wasn’t exactly excited from all the pampering, not being fond of being the center of attention.

After what seemed like ages, a guard spoke up as I sat at my desk with my head hung in my hands, “Sire, there’s a Viscet here who wishes to speak to you.” I opened my eyes but did not lift my head, taking a breath to steady my voice, “Speak of what?” The guard hesitated, “He did not say, only that it was urgent.” “Bring him in,” I said with a sigh, lifting my head and placing the crown back atop my head, not bothering to smooth my rumpled feathers.

A few moments later, a dark Viscet strode though the doors carrying… was that a backpack? He was on the short side, but rather skinny and his feathers well kept and shining. I was drawn to the long, dark horns atop his head, slightly reminded by Lark’s new set, but probably developed under much different circumstances.

“My King, I have something that may peak your interest in times like these,” the dark horned Viscet bowed in greeting, his teeth contrasting his coat as they shone through in a wide grin. I was surprised at the tone of his voice; level and confident, if not a bit cocky. My ears perked forward, “I’m listening,” I muttered, my tails swishing on the hard stone floor

“My name is Luken, and I’m a scientist, you see. I have… lost those who are dear to me, and I can’t stand it.” My ears flattened at his words, but I said nothing as my chest tightened. Did he know? Was it just bad timing? My mind raced, eyes focusing as my mind clouded with memories.

“You’ve probably noticed by now, but some Viscet’s have mutations on their bodies; horns,” he pointed to his own, “extra feathers, different ear types, spikes, scales, the list goes on. Even wings and extra tails,” He stated as paced a bit, my gaze following him closely through narrowed eyes.

Luken carefully continued, “I don’t know why such mutations occur, but I’d like to know. I’m researching the effects of mutations, particularly randomly occurring ones, Sire, and the effects they have on the body. Do they strain the host? Is it something in their DNA? Does it weaken their immune system?” As the other male spoke, my mind wandered to Chronos and his seemingly random traits. A spark of worry ignited within me.

What of Lark, then?

“With enough research, I hope to learn to control those traits. As long as I can control the random mutating traits in Viscetlings, deaths should occur less often in them, as I see it.” Luken chuckled, and I clicked my tongue. “Why are you telling me this?” I responded lowly, a flash of fear running through my mind, wondering if this Viscet knew about my past- “I need your help, Sire.” His voice snapped me out of my anxiety-driven thoughts.

“As you can imagine, not many take too kindly to live experimentation… DNA samples are used to study the genetic make up of traits, and there’s only so much I can do with my own DNA…” He trailed off, and I picked up where he left off, “So you need my permission to gather DNA samples from live samples?” His eyes flashed in worry, “When said like that-“ I cut him off.

“You have my full permission.”

Luken gawked at me, but didn’t say anything in response. My mind raced, wondering how such a Viscet came along at what seemed to be the perfect time for him. If this Viscet succeeds… would he be able to reverse Lark’s odd sudden mutation? Would he be able to fix this?

[i]… Would I be able to get my daughter back?

“Luken, do all that you can to find the source of mutated DNA-causing traits and prevent them as best as you can.” I said steadily, sweeping my tails behind me.

Luken looked shocked, to say the least. “Y-yes, Sire! I will try my best!” I reached forward and took the papers from his hands, glancing them over and flipping through to sign in various places. “Sire-“ the black Viscet said suddenly, gaining my attention, “I should mention that eggs will be involved in the testing-“ “Do what you must, I trust what you are doing is for the best.” I replied, only half hearing what was being said.

No, my focus was on Lark and Chronos; my children, both of which bore random mutations. Luken’s speech dug up anxieties I didn’t even know I had until they were said, and I can’t ignore them this time.

“Excellent,” he said, offering me a sly smile that reminded me too much of Lilith. I escorted Luken out of the room, only to find Lilith waiting outside the doors. Their cold stare burned my skin and my feathers rose under their gaze. “What?” I asked, but they herded me back into the room, shutting the doors behind them before they spoke,

“What was that about?” “That was a scientist named Luken, who-“ “No, not the specifics. I mean why’d you actually make a deal with him?” They seemed concerned, though they would never admit it. I sighed and shook my head, breaking away from the Shinigami’s cold stare, “You wouldn’t understand-“

“I understand all too well, my dear. That man is dangerous.” They warned but I let out a laugh, “Coming from a Death Bringer!” Lilith’s glare didn’t let up, and responded lowly, “He’s a threat to mortals. To Viscetkind, not just to you or I.[/i] I huffed, shaking myself out in response.

“It’ll be fine,” I reassured them, but it was their turn to laugh. “We’ll see about that, dear. You’ll regret making a deal with that man.” The all too familiar smirk was plastered on the Lilith’s face once more, and I scoffed under my breath, “I’ve heard that before,”

Lilith remained quiet, perhaps proving a point of some sort. I paid it no mind.

In the days since Luken has left the Castle to return to his Lab, it was been relatively quiet and peaceful, at least for all those beside myself.

Anger and anxiety built up inside me for too long, and I was nearing my breaking point. Thoughts of Lark, Chronos… Saki, and the whole pack that I had destroyed. My days were filled with regrets and sorrow, many around me becoming quite concerned as my health started to suffer due to this.

“Feeling old yet, Votski?” was a response I heard quite often from Lilith, and I could no longer deny the wear on my body. At times, I almost considered asking Lilith to help, to speed up the process so I could be young again in a new life, but the more I thought of such things, the more I worried about this life.

What if everything I do in this life is for nothing, like my first life?

Will those who knew me remember me, at least as a vague memory?

Has anything I’ve done here mattered?

Of course, I just hadn’t realized.

“You’re this close to death, yet you don’t even have an heir?” Lilith teased one day, but it hit me like a pile of bricks. “So, what of it?” I mumbled under my breath, but they continued, not paying any mind to my tone, “If you’re so worried about leaving something behind in this life, then you might want to get a move on pretty quick, dear.”

They were right. I don’t have much time left, and this city would collapse if I left as is.

I reached across my desk and grabbed the list of citizens, flipping through the pages before finding what I wanted to see; a small, poor family living in the small plaza near my first home in this life, a young viscetling with outstanding potential. He was the one.

I got to my feet, bones cracking making even Lilith cringe a bit. I stretched before grabbing my crown and walking out the doors and down the stairs, heading to the gate leading into the city.

I took a few guards with me, even walking through town brought attention to myself, and I can begin to understand why Aiakos hides himself behind the heavy cloak and mask.

When we arrived at the house it was nearly noon, the sun high above us and casting short shadows across the dusty earth. I glance around, taking in the nostalgic surroundings, my eyes resting on the fountain in the center of the plaza. It seemed so much bigger when I was a Viscetling…

I knocked on the door, but there was no response. However, I knew they were home due to the movement behind the small windows. I knocked harder, raising my voice as well, “This is the King, and you are ordered to open this door at once!” I stood back and waited, but still nothing came. I raised my hand, giving my guards the order. Guess we’ll have to do this the hard way.

The door cracked as my guards slammed against it, the flimsy frame eventually giving out and collapsing in on itself, allowing us entry to the small home. “You’re not welcome here!” a male voice shrieked, and my attention shifted to the Viscets standing on the far side of the room. A small female curled in the corner, holding a Viscetling tightly who stared at us with wide eyes, a large male standing above the par defensively, his feathers raised in warning.

“Your Viscetling has been chosen as heir to the throne.” I stated rather quickly, but the father stood his ground, “We decline any offers you may have!” he snarled, and I was both pained and angered. I felt the hurt he must feel, knowing the feeling of children being taken from you, yet I was getting desperate, and the young Viscet was my best option. I lashed my tails, summoning the fire from deep within me.

Green flames glinted in their eyes, a mix of fear and protectiveness in the father’s eyes, and I spoke again, “That wasn’t an option, it was a statement.” I said bluntly, the corners of my mouth twitching up into a smirk.

The male suddenly lunged at me, but it was over before it had begun. My guards had intercepted. His body fell to the ground with a heavy thump, body limp and unmoving. Both the mother and the Viscetling were removed from the house and brought back to the Castle, the Viscetling’s training beginning immediately.

Much like myself, I gave the Viscetling a new name upon his arrival here. ‘Nanashi’ became his name (literally meaning ‘one without a name’/’no name’), despite his distaste to it. ‘Shiki’ or whatever he called himself, but that name became forgotten.

Lilith stayed out of Nanashi’s training, to my surprise. They sat in silence, perhaps observing his potential and growth.

They did warn me, however, to be careful. I now knew what that meant, having grown too attached to Viscetlings in the past only to end in heartbreak and pain. That’s not happening again. I promised myself.

I raised the Nanashi to the best of my ability, creating a shadow that not only listened to my every word, but also complied and worked without complaint. As much as I would love to get close to this young Viscet, I won’t allow myself in fear of either giving in and taking him in as I have before, or hurting him in return.

Nanashi grew quickly and strong, and I admired his strength to overcome his past, and I couldn’t help but be proud. Of course he wasn’t my own, nor did I raise him to be, and yet… I was glad to see him take up the throne when the time came.

The thing that pains me the most about this situation, however, is the fact that Nanashi never smiles. He never shows emotions or tries to fight back; more or less, I’ve raised him to be stoic and cold; a being devoid of emotions and is unable to be themselves. In a way it made it easier on my part, refusing to attach myself to yet another Viscet only to end all too quickly.

Nanashi’s ceremony came rather quickly; once he was old enough to walk on his hind legs, his abilities skyrocketed and he absorbed information like a sponge, making my heir all the more capable and I was confident in his ability to take my place.

As we stood above the city on a wide awning at the top floor of the castle, we stood in silence. There was nothing to say, no word to share between us. Lilith joined us eventually, an all too knowing look on the Shinigami’s face at what was about to happen. I nodded to them, not trying to fight it. I was ready.

We overlooked the city, a huge crowd gathered under us and stared up at us in awe, quieting once I raised my hand. I felt the String tighten, but I ignored it. “Today, this city is led by a new King,” I declared, taking the crown off my head and placing it atop Nanashi’s. “Treat him kindly, and may his reign be long and successful.” I finished my speech, and the crowd beneath us roared in cheer.

I chanced a glance at Nanashi’s eyes, and his eyes met mine for a brief second before darting away, scanning the crowd below for anything more interesting than myself. His expression was nearly unreadable, but could easily be guessed; fear, anxiousness, perhaps a bit of pain.

I knew that feeling all too well.

“You’ll do great, hon,” I murmured to him as I stepped down, making my exit and leaving the new King atop the awning to address his city. Lilith followed closely.

“Anything else, Votski?” Lilith asked, but I shook my head.

No, there was nothing else to do.

There was already too much; too much that I regret and too much I wish I could change, but there was nowhere to go but forward from here.

I let out a laugh, bracing myself for Lilith’s next move. The Shinigami moved quickly, my mind going blank as they charged me in an instant.

My vision had faded before I could hit the floor, and the last thing I felt was a smile tug at my lips before my vision went cloudy and darkness consumed me.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Extras;;

Postby SilverSamurai » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Yo, I'm Silver and like talking with people and making new friends.
I enjoy music, birds, anime/manga, video games, and art. Feel free to send over a message whenever if you'd like to chat!

A lot is happening right now, but I'm doing my best

"I fell apart, but got back up again,"
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me