Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

The World of Katkins by meveh

Artist meveh [gallery]
Time spent 1 day, 4 hours
Drawing sessions 12
292 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

The World of Katkins

Postby meveh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:53 am

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Katkins are a species of bipedal felines. Intelligent creatures, they are capable of complex thought and emotion. Katkins rely on social interaction and are well-known for the intricate communities they build with one another. Katkin villages in which each individual contributes to the whole are very common, and it is within these villages that katkins do best and thrive.

A note from meveh;

Hello and welcome to the katkin community! I am so happy that you are interested in what we have to offer. This community was designed to be fun and interactive for all of its members, and the staff and I want to do all we can to make sure your experience here is enjoyable. If you ever have any questions or are unsure of how things are run, please do not hesitate to ask me or another staff member! Again, we want to make sure you can enjoy your katkin experience to the very fullest. Have fun!

R U L E S

>> Practice common courtesy when interacting in the katkins community.
>> Katkins are owned by and copyrighted to meveh.
>> Katkins are a closed species and may only be created by katkin artists.
>> Users may own up to THREE katkins; more slots may be awarded by meveh to certain users.
>> You may not trade katkins without asking meveh for explicit permission. All of the katkin's stats reset upon trading.
>> You may not sell your katkins for any type of currency.
>> You may gift your katkin, but you must first let meveh know. All of its stats will reset upon gifting.
>> If you no longer want your katkin and don't want to trade or gift it, let meveh know and she will put it up for readopting. You must provide a decent reason for your decision.
>> You may not make a katkin your fursona.
>> You cannot edit your katkin's lines whatsoever(adding hair, changing features, etc) unless you are adding clothing.
>> You cannot trade Pawmarket items with other users.
>> meveh and other staff members reserve the right to give users restrictions within the katkin community for poor behavior and/or for breaking the rules.
>> In addition, meveh reserves the right to repossess katkins whose owners have broken the rules in some way.
>> If you own a katkin and change your username after adopting them, please notify me or one of the staff members so we can change it in the data hold.
>> Katkins are sexless, but can identify as any gender.

A D O P T I O N

To adopt, simply click above on one of the colored-in images and find a katkin that is up for adoption. Then, follow any instructions/fill out any form posted by the artist in order to try and win your own katkin!

I N T E R A C T I N G

If you've won a katkin and are wondering what to do next, never fear! There's much to do in the world of katkins. Each adopted katkin can be assigned a career path, which is chosen by you, its owner. The job that your katkin has within a career path will earn it a bimonthly salary of Purkoins(P₭), which can in turn be exchanged for special items from the Pawmarket. As you participate within the katkins community by making art, writing stories, roleplaying, or posting in the fan club, you can earn your katkin experience points. After your katkin earns a certain amount of experience points, it can be promoted to a higher level job that will earn in a higher salary! Sounds fun, right?

S T A F F

If you ever have any questions about katkins, don't hesitate to ask one of our staff members. We are here to help and serve you!

>> meveh // creator & owner
>> Medd // official artist
>> boat // official artist & nursery artist
>> Jaques // ghost artist
>> Nodell // official artist & nursery artist
>> Lilybug1997 // official artist
>> Dave Egbert // official artist
>> Smartyk // guest artist (0/2 designs)
>> The Royal Mirage // official artist
>> ginger, // official artist
>> krone // official artist & part-time nursery artist
>> gunpowdercat // official artist & nursery artist
Last edited by meveh on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:42 am, edited 32 times in total.
meveh
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Katkin Career Paths & Salaries

Postby meveh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:54 am

>> C A R E E R P A T H S <<

A katkin’s career path is a vital part of their identity and how they function in the katkin society. Upon adoption, users have a choice of which career path they wish to have their new katkin follow. There are currently six career paths to choose from:

Food, Goods, Corps, Health, Arts, and Education & Katkinities

Within each career path, there are an innumerable amount of job strings that a katkin can potentially follow. These strings highlight the more specialized jobs within a career path, and give a katkin a bit more individuality and personality when it comes to their job.

When a user adopts a new katkin, they select a career path and that katkin is assigned the most basic, entry-level job within that career path. This is known as the “first tier” of a job. Users don’t get to begin choosing a string until their katkin earns enough experience points to achieve a second-tier job.

Job promotions are achieved through individual katkin experience points. A katkin can earn experience points whenever their owner interacts with others in the katkin community. Whether it be through creating a piece of art, participating in a roleplay, or posting the katkin fanclub, there are a multitude of ways users can earn their katkin some experience points. XP is tracked through the data hold. You will be PM'd when your katkin reaches enough XP to be promoted, and during that time you will be able to choose between the different job strings available for that promotion.

While there are currently only three career paths available, it is possible more will be added in the future. It is also possible that more specific job strings will be added within each path as well. You cannot change your katkin's career path or string once you have chosen it, unless you buy the Powerful Elixir from the Pawmarket.

Food

The Food career path is all about the production of food, as you may have guessed. The most common job in this career path is the farming string, however there are some other, more specialized strings that a katkin can follow. These vary from bakers, to chefs, to candy makers. Most job strings end with the katkin owning or managing whichever string they are in.

First Tier: Food Trainee

Goods

The Goods career path involves the production of any items or products that a katkin may need or want. These vary immensely in terms of specialized strings, but as with the Food career path, almost all strings end with the katkin owning or managing their own shop.

First Tier: Goods Trainee

Corps

The corps division of the career paths is all about protecting, defending and serving other katkins. As with the other career paths, there are several specialized string options such as mewlitary, rangers, pawlice, and more.

First Tier: Corps Trainee

Health

Katkins in the Health career path are responsible for ensuring that other katkins remain healthy and happy. This is quite the hefty task, so understandably there are numerous specialized job strings in this career path to make sure all bases are covered.

First Tier: Health Trainee

Arts

Some katkins choose to follow the more creative career path-- that of the Arts. These aspiring artists choose to express themselves in different ways, and will end up following whatever job string they feel drawn to. There is something for every katkin in this career path.

First Tier: Young Artist

Education & Katkinities

Education & Katkinities is both a broad as well as specialized career path. Closely related to the Arts path, Education & Katkinities focuses on the more historical and fundamental aspects of katkins as a species. The education side of this career path focusses on the basic education of young katkins before they begin training for their own career path -- a very important task. The katkinities (this is essentially the katkin version of the word humanities) side focusses more on katkin history, literature, morals, and virtues. It studies and analyzes the essence of who and what katkins are. Teachers, writers, historians, and philosophers all originate from this career path.

First Tier: Young Inquirer

P R O M O T I O N S

Katkins earn promotions after earning a certain number of experience points. The following chart shows how many experience points are necessary to earn a promotion in each of the different tiers.

>> S A L A R I E S <<

Every katkin earns a salary based on their job. The higher the tier of the job, the higher the salary. All of career paths have unbiased salaries, meaning that a fourth-tier salary in the food career path is the same as a fourth-tier salary in the goods career path. Paychecks are automatically awarded bimonthly, on the 1st and 15th of every month.

Purkoins(P₭) are the currency used in the world of katkins. You can check your P₭ balance in the data hold. P₭ is earned through katkin salaries and can occasionally be awarded to users by meveh for good behavior and other things. Users can use the P₭ they earn to buy various items and goods from the Pawmarket. These items vary from something as simple giving their katkin a new hairdo, to something as special as a custom katkin ticket. Check the Pawmarket for item prices and availability.
Last edited by meveh on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:27 am, edited 12 times in total.
meveh
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Katkin Features

Postby meveh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:54 am

>> F E A T U R E S <<

Different katkins have different, unique combinations of features. Some features are more common than others, while some are much more rare. Below is a list of the current known features that can appear on a katkin, as well as their rarities.

>>Common<< >>Uncommon<< >>Rare<< >>Very Rare<<

E Y E S
    >> Normal
    >> Round
    >> Narrow
    >> Bicolored
    >> Multicolored
    >> Colored Sclera
    >> Shaped Pupils
    >> Glowing

E A R S
    >> Normal
    >> Round
    >> Large
    >> Folded
    >> Small
    >> Non-Feline

W H I S K E R S
    >> Normal
    >> Curved
    >> Thick
    >> Extra
    >> Crooked
    >> Long
    >> Curly

T A I L S
    >> Normal
    >> Fluffy
    >> Short
    >> None(Manx)
    >> Silky
    >> Tapered
    >> Extra Long
    >> Multi
    >> Non-Feline
Last edited by meveh on Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
meveh
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

FAQS

Postby meveh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:06 pm

>> F A Q S <<

Do katkins wear clothes?
    Yes, sort of! They rarely ever wear full-on outfits, but often times will have a simple clothing item such as a scarf, sash, or headgear of some kind. You’re allowed to add whatever clothing you want to your katkin.
Do katkins ever walk around on four paws or are they only bipedal?
    Katkins are purely bipedal. Technically, sure, they could walk around on all fours, but it'd kind of be like a human walking on all fours. They might get some weird looks, haha.
Will more career paths be introduced in the future?
    This is definitely something I intend to add in the future! It's just a matter of there being(or, me thinking of) enough diverse strings in a single new category/career path.
Are you going to have an artist contest to hire more artists for the adopts?
    I am currently working on getting that up and running as it turns out! Later down the road I also hope to hire an archive/data hold manager, but this won't be until much later.
Does the world of the Katkins have many of the same species and ecosystems of Earth, or is it different? If so, how does it differ?
    There are a small number of other intelligent races in addition to katkins that inhabit the katkin world. These are still being developed, so you will hear more about these in the future. Other than that, almost all other life on their planet is comprised of less intelligent species that are very similar to Earth life. There are rabbit-like creatures named fliffs, for example, that are popular pets among katkins. Pretty much every plant or animal in the katkin world follows the rule of "similar to Earth life, but slightly different". If it's found on Earth, there's probably something really close to it in the katkin world. I intend to do some sketching of different environments and animal life you'd find on the planet katkins inhabit. The one exception to the "similar but slightly different" rule would be the beast-creatures that also roam the katkin world. These beast-creatures are nasty brutes that threaten the well-being of katkin society. It is the job of rangers to protect katkin communities from these monsters. I intend to sketch some beast-creatures out as well, but they can pretty much come in any shape and size.
Do Katkins have domesticated animals and/or plants? Which would be the most commonly cultivated varieties, and why?
    As I briefly mentioned above, katkins can and do domesticate certain plant and animal life. Katkins rely on crops for food, and so have domesticated a wide range of plants to suit their farming needs. Their most popular crop would be a wheat-like grain that they can use for making bread. Katkins also enjoy the companionship of smaller creatures, such as the fliffs I mentioned before, and have domesticated these animals to keep them as pets. I will expand on this idea in the future to include a wider variety of pets.
Is their diet more similar to that of felines or that of humans, and can they taste sugar?
    Katkins have a strictly vegetarian diet. They share the earth with many other creatures, and it is against their ethical code to kill them for food. Their diet consists primarily of bread-type foods, but includes all sorts of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and grains. I will work on filling out info on the different plant varieties so you can know exactly what they eat, but for now it won't hurt if you just use the names of Earth plants/food. Katkins can taste sugar and absolutely love it, which is why there is big business in candy making.
What level of technology/civilization are katkins at?
    As far as technology(like weapons, architecture, modes of transportation, etc) goes, the first comparison that came to my mind that I could make would be the setting of Lord of the Rings. So there's no computers, TVs, cars, or anything like that. A small little spoiler here, there is some presence of magic in the katkin world, but this idea won't be expanded upon until later. I'm still developing exactly how their civilization operates, but basically there are several villages interconnected, and these clusters of villages form a kind of city-state. This too will be expanded upon later on.
Last edited by meveh on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
meveh
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Katkins - Coming Soon

Postby ~Tornado~ » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:02 am

marking so hard right now!
That art oml it's so great and these sound amazing and ahh
Birds, Reptiles, and The Elder Scrolls, and my drawing tablet, basically are all I need in life.

Hi I'm Tornado, I like animals, drawing, and The Elder Scrolls. Ive been on this site for years and am pretty friendly so im always up to chat!

Selina ref guide
Best thing since sliced cheese.
Don't do Skooma kids
Kids these days
Angel on earth
Note: Finish Cp's request At with PD

~Tornado~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Prolix » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:36 am

This is a dream come true. I love your plans for this species and the dedication that owners will be able to put into their characters. Thank you for making this a reality.
there is no meaning aside from memeing
Prolix

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Happily Wrathful » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:47 am

marrrrkkkk
Happily Wrathful

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lps sugar pop lover » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:50 am

*come and dies* *comments*
MARKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO CCCCCCCUUUUUUTTTTTTTTEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!<333333333333333333333
Image Image Image Image ]Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
lps sugar pop lover

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~IceFang~ » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:05 am

Mark.
Image Image
~IceFang~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kafka ` » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:06 am

Mark, OMG THEY'RE SO CUTE OwO

────────────────────────────────────────────── 𝙔𝙊𝙐 𝙎𝙀𝙀 𝙈𝙀 𝙇𝙄𝙆𝙀 𝙉𝙊 𝙊𝙏𝙃𝙀𝙍

shall i compare thee to a summer’s day?
        thou art more lovely and more temperate.
        rough winds do shake the darling buds of may,
        and summer’s lease hath all too short a date.
        sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
        and often is his gold complexion dimmed;
        and every fair from fair sometime declines,
        by chance, or nature’s changing course, untrimmed;
        but thy eternal summer shall not fade,
        nor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st,
        nor shall death brag thou wand’rest in his shade,
        when in eternal lines to time thou grow’st.
        so long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
        so long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

── shakespeare

matty ✩ he/she ✩ bst ✩ intp ✩ aries

darling

𝘼𝙉𝘿 𝙄 𝙏𝙃𝙄𝙉𝙆 𝙄 𝙇𝙄𝙆𝙀 𝙔𝙊𝙐𝙍 𝙋𝙊𝙄𝙉𝙏 𝙊𝙁 𝙑𝙄𝙀𝙒─────────────────────────────────
kafka `

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me