Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby deadroses. » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:26 am

Soooooo; i was thinking of rehabilitating bettas over the summer.. aka helping them recover from pet stores and then giving them away, selling them, or giving them back tot the pet store if thats allowed lol. I mean is that even a thing? If it is I’m doing that so tell me some of your favorite betta medicines... edit: change of plans. (Disregard this post)
Last edited by deadroses. on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FREE PALESTINE

intj Image
F1, noah kahan, camus, hozier, AM, grishaverse, marvel AOS, young royals, p!@td, palaye royale
Image Image
deadroses.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby valiant. » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:44 am

deadroses. wrote:Soooooo; i was thinking of rehabilitating bettas over the summer.. aka helping them recover from pet stores and then giving them away, selling them, or giving them back tot the pet store if thats allowed lol. I mean is that even a thing? If it is I’m doing that so tell me some of your favorite betta medicines...

This is a really kind idea, however the problem with stuff like this is that pet stores have an abundance of sick betta fish and those betta fish that are in pet stores are culls or deemed not good enough to be sold as high end fish. Buying and putting money into this system is just going to result in more sick inbred fish. Lots of people discourage buying from big pet stores, however those betta fish in local fish stores are much more healthy and perhaps your ideas would work with an ethical local fish store!
valiant.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ƈಎ႑ಎෆiႵƴ » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:18 am

deadroses. wrote:Soooooo; i was thinking of rehabilitating bettas over the summer.. aka helping them recover from pet stores and then giving them away, selling them, or giving them back tot the pet store if thats allowed lol. I mean is that even a thing? If it is I’m doing that so tell me some of your favorite betta medicines...

That's a wonderful idea ^^ I have sold them as centerpieces for weddings and are given as gifts at the end, have given them to family members, and coworkers. You may not know if they are going to be well cared for so I leave fliers with anyone who is buying them on how to properly care for them (minimally and sufficiently).
I had gotten all of my bettas from Tropical Treasures Fish Store, and all end up doing well. I have taken up the challenge of a baby betta and she is thriving.
If you are going to rehabilitate a betta it may take more time than the summer. Most in the stores suffer from fin rot, constipation, and other diseases. If you are going to rehabilitate multiple fish, it is best to get one at a time and watch how they react to their new environment within a week because that gives hints if your betta is ill and how to treat it properly. Until you know for sure what is wrong, wait on getting the next.
- I have found that "Bettafix, a water conditioner by API" works for re-healing betta fins that were torn or fin rot. - Personally, I have never tried the method of using salt to cure fish infections... They are fresh water and I do not want to harm them further, so the best thing I believe is the conditioner.
- Cleaning the tank itself every week for an adult betta is ideal and is what I have found the best thing to do for any of their problems (besides parasites/bacterial infections).
- Some of the treatments you will have to buy have expiration dates so it is best to get the item once you know for certain what your betta has instead of purchasing something that won't be used for quite awhile.
- Moss Ball (Marimo moss ball) I put in all my tanks depending on the size ex: 2 for a 5 gallon, and 1 for a 2.5. They create oxygen, fight algae, and do nothing harmful to your tank. All you need to do to keep them alive is squeeze them out every time you clean your tank and minimal lighting, that's it!
- A heater to keep a steady temperature 75F minimal 82F the highest. If your betta is sick I would recommend putting it to a higher temperature of 78-82F because that helps fight the parasites or infections by speeding his metabolism.
- Indian Almond leaves, let them float on the water, they create conditions similar to a natural betta habitat and help PH levels naturally. They were sold for $3 for a 3 pack.
There is not any medication I have needed to buy yet for my bettas. A 2 gallon tank, clean fresh water with conditioner, a heater, food once they settle in, and a place to hide are sufficient enough. Just got to watch for Amonia levels, Nitrates, Nitrites, and more importantly your betta itself.
It may seem daunting but if you know your bettas already,
this is basic care and helpful tips. It's easier to get help once you
have the fish by posting the image of him/her so we can help you
with his needs if he has any c:
Hope this helped!
𝓦𝖍𝖊𝖓 𝓘𝖓𝖘𝖕𝖎𝖗𝖊𝖉 ... 𝓘 𝓒𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖙𝖊

╔~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~╗
☽°。 ゚xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ゚。°☾

☽°。 ゚xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ゚。°☾
╚~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~╝
Ƈಎ႑ಎෆiႵƴ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:36 am

Yup yup. The problem with doing this with a chain pet store is that you're just encouraging the practice to continue. The store sells more fish, which they see as more demand, so they get more in stock.
It's a great idea, it just depends on where you're getting your sick bettas from.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby valiant. » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:56 am

Bettafix was mentioned above and I cannot discourage you enough from using that if you do plan on doing this. Bettafix/Melafix damages the labyrinth organ, which is the organ in the betta that lets it breathe atmospheric air.
If you do plan on it, 2.5 gallons is the recommended minimum and the best option for filtering would be sponge filters.
Also, most betta issues have no need for any specific medications. From my experience this is what I've used:
swim bladder/constipation = epsom salt baths and daphnia (not peas)
fin rot = clean water and time
fin biting = more enrichment and resting spots
open wounds or sores = aquarium salt baths
most issues with sick bettas at stores almost always clears up with clean, filtered, and heated water without fail!
valiant.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:02 am

So my new fella Atticus is settling in well. Only one problem, he is too small to eat betta pellets. He was able to maul some freeze dried bloodworms though on his first night. ;o I've never had a betta this young before, I chose him because I figured he was going to need some extra help and a better environment to develop. I had to go get him special micropellets (he refused flakes). But he loves his new food and is able to eat it, he is so active I love watching him. I have insomnia and the other night I went and sat by his tank and just watched him swim around. The most calming thing to do. ♥

If anyone is looking for a new hiding place for your betta or other small fish that like to hide, I really recommend these betta logs by Zoo Med. They're very smooth and have no sharp edges, this is the first decoration I bought that didn't need to be filed down to protect their fins. There are sinking ones and semi floating ones. My fish have really loved this little log, I found mine at a small local business for a few dollars. Atticus hid in his the first night home. :3
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
❥ Trade me?
xxstatus: tired
x x
xxtradesisolistoAuction
xx➵ Looking for wishlist!
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:56 pm

As many have pointed out even if your intentions are good it's not really the best idea to buy poorly treated fish. If you'd get the fish for free then great that would be better. Then when it comes to rehoming, I do suggest making the person getting the betta aware that the fish has had health issues in the past, since they sometimes can leave long term/permanent impact that you can't see and cause premature death even if all seems well externally.
I'm little worried do you have enough knowledge on treating injured fish, if you don't know what something as basic parasite as ich is... Ich can strike easily if the fish has lowered immune system, so if you are serious about trying to rehabilitate bettas I suggest you do lot of reading about various illness and parasites and how to treat them.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Trphlthdl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:03 pm

If you look on local sale sites and pick up unwanted and uncared for betta to nurse back to health you can accomplish your goal without encouraging pet stores to purchase more betta which will only become sick again.
x
xxxxxxx
🌿🌿🌿
trp | they/them | avatar
feel free to pm or send a trade at any time, although i'm not typically super active
i'm most interested in c$, mushroom or flower themed pets & items, as well as trading
for recreated pets! I've also recently started dnd, and am usually looking for art.
🌿🌿🌿
Trphlthdl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:00 am

A few questions, are there any widely known adoptable fish sites? I want another rescue but don’t want fish companies to profit.

Second, can bettas that have been malnourished be stunted in growth? I have a teeny tiny betta who was trying to eat his own waste when I got him, and I’m wondering if his development is likely jeopardized due to malnutrition? He is barely an adolescent, and did not recognize food. He is eating now, and I think he will due well. Anyone know how the first part of his life will affect him?
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
❥ Trade me?
xxstatus: tired
x x
xxtradesisolistoAuction
xx➵ Looking for wishlist!
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby deadroses. » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:31 am

Lonin wrote:

Yup yup. The problem with doing this with a chain pet store is that you're just encouraging the practice to continue. The store sells more fish, which they see as more demand, so they get more in stock.
It's a great idea, it just depends on where you're getting your sick bettas from.

Yes i understand this but it makes it better for one fish and if i dont buy other people are so it doesn’t really make a difference.
FREE PALESTINE

intj Image
F1, noah kahan, camus, hozier, AM, grishaverse, marvel AOS, young royals, p!@td, palaye royale
Image Image
deadroses.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me