How to Background/Landscape by Error

Based on Click to view
Artist Error [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 8 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
35 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

How to Background/Landscape

Postby Error » Mon May 27, 2024 5:28 pm

This is a bit complex, but at the same time pretty straightforward?

Tips:
    • Use References for Everything.
    • Learn 1 point, 2 point, and 3 point perspective. While you don’t need to use it every time you draw a background, it is helpful to learn how things change shape and sizes depending on where you place the horizon line.
    • Not pictured: When you use lines for backgrounds, it’s good to add more detail towards the focus of the drawing and less detail in the distance/if it’s flat out in the foreground. I often use disconnected, scratch lines for things further in the distance, and solid detailed lines for things closer to the “camera.”
    • Ambience! The sky will give off a blue hue, I like to take the airbrush and gently soften the objects closer to the sky to push the sense of the distance.
    • I like to use the same color to shade everything, in order to keep a consistent tone and look to the piece. Likewise with the source light. So once a character’s base colors are blocked in, they’re treated the same as the surroundings in order to get them to blend in with it.

Further Breakdown:
      1. Perspective/Camera
      I like to imagine the canvas as a camera, so that I can think of the perspective in my mind. Is it focused super close on a subject, or is it taking in a landscape? What above looking up or down? These things are dictated by the Horizon Line. This helpful thing shows where your eye level is and where the camera is angled at. The horizon line is the base point for the drawing. I highly recommend researching further into it. (I got lucky and was taught these things when I was little by my mom.)
      Note: These guides are great if you’re wanting to draw buildings and rooms.

2. Distance
      It is easier for me to view these in layers.
        1. Sky - the sky! It is lighter near the horizon and darkens as it moves up.
        2. Horizon - Perspective Guide! It can be hidden behind things, but subconsciously should always be in mind.
        3. Background - A little more detailed shapes, but still pushed out of focus
        4. Midground - More details and more colors
        5. Foreground - Right up in front of the camera.
      I will often place my characters in the Midground or Foreground. If a character is in the Midground: the Foreground is blurred out/kept as a dark shadow. If the character is in the Foreground the Midground is blurred out and the Foreground is sharpened up.

3. Character Placement
      Depends entirely on where you want the character to be sitting in the scene. It’s like taking a picture, but drawing it instead!
      The further the character is from the camera, the smaller they will get.
      It helps greatly to add weight and shadow to the character, make them touch the ground, squish the grass, and cast a shadow. These little things help place the character into the scene.

Final images is showing how you can render a painting in grayscale and then add colors onto using layer effects/types. I used Overlay and Soft Light to add the colors and Multiply and Overlay to add the shadows and highlights.
Error

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: How to Background/Landscape

Postby COOLDOGOOO » Tue May 28, 2024 3:50 am

this is really helpful, thank you so much error! <3 but i have one last question about the rendering a painting in grayscale- how do you pick the specific colours?
JUST CAME BACK FROM HIATUS !
Coming back after a hiatus! I didn't check my oekaki notifs, and had 1k+ unread. I don't have the time to check them all, unfortunately, so if there is something you'd like me to check/be aware of, please PM me! <33 I hope you understand! (art coms are still open, for USD only and considering c$)

my toyhouse <3

Check out Vidapup's free
sig pets
! <3

Please consider commissioning me; I appreciate it a lot! <3

had last 1426 oekaki
COOLDOGOOO

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Error » Tue May 28, 2024 5:18 am

COOLDOGOOO wrote:this is really helpful, thank you so much error! <3 but i have one last question about the rendering a painting in grayscale- how do you pick the specific colours?

you're welcome!

For grayscale: I pick a range between light gray and dark gray. I avoid using white and black so that I can always add brighter highlights and deeper shadows later.

As for changing the gray into color: I like to drop a gradient on top going from the sky color into the ground color. Then I'll paint in the color breaks (like the color of the branch or the snail).
Error

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Vazchu » Thu May 30, 2024 6:54 am

I'm probably going to be looking at this a lot. (: I've been thinking quite deeply as of late that I need to spend more time practicing making landscapes and backgrounds; it's one of two things I find the most difficult to do and always struggle with even if I have some sort of idea of what I'm going for. I think it almost never turns out as I first envisioned it to do, guess I partly have unreasonable high demands on myself even though I shouldn't.
my dA | me on eldemore | me on FR | my characters + blog | characters for sale

Within the darkness two pearls shines bright,
glittering and shimmering in their bluest pride.
Somewhere in the depths there is a silent sound,
a silent song which caused the heart to pound.
It whispers, it tells stories of old, tales of eternity ride,
forgotten within this endless song.

Image Image
Vazchu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Error » Thu May 30, 2024 3:24 pm

Vazchu wrote:
I'm probably going to be looking at this a lot. (: I've been thinking quite deeply as of late that I need to spend more time practicing making landscapes and backgrounds; it's one of two things I find the most difficult to do and always struggle with even if I have some sort of idea of what I'm going for. I think it almost never turns out as I first envisioned it to do, guess I partly have unreasonable high demands on myself even though I shouldn't.

Try following along with Bob Ross’s Joy of Painting series! The happy accidents helped me lighten up on myself while drawing. Plus I often follow his steps towards drawing landscapes, it translates well to digital.
Error

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me