*DISCONTINUED* Rares List Guide (1 March 2019)

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

What would you personally like to see done with the Rares List?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:15 am

1. Maintain - keep the Rares List the same but update pet values.
11%
2. Restructure - vote on ways to majorly update, restructure or rebuild the Rares List.
40%
3. Retire - discontinue the list and stop updating it.
44%
4. Undecided - don't know but show me the poll results
4%

Total votes : 1731

Re: *DISCONTINUED* Rares List Guide (1 March 2019)

Postby JJdiner » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:36 am

I know it's discontinued but for those of us who still use it is there a way we can get it pinned to the top, just till other lists are made?
all pets for trade, doubles or not

Have: lots of C$ for FR @ 1:6g:6kt

rares list that i still use
JJdiner

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kitty teeth » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:37 am

JJdiner wrote:I know it's discontinued but for those of us who still use it is there a way we can get it pinned to the top, just till other lists are made?

Well, then the whole point of it being discontinued would be pointless. They unpinned it because it's not continued anymore.
neurodivergent - adult
xxxKitty's Pound
kitty teeth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ashki » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:38 am

JJdiner wrote:I know it's discontinued but for those of us who still use it is there a way we can get it pinned to the top, just till other lists are made?

If you're having trouble finding it, you can use the bookmark button on the bottom of the page. This thread will not be stickied.
xxxxx
x
x
x

Hello, I'm Ashki!
PMs are always open ♥

frfttfaqget helphoards

Ashki
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SabrinaB » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:28 am

You can also copy the link and save it somewhere, like in your trade thread.
Looking for CATS!
Paying 1000 treasure for ANY pet!

Have: 400.000 treasure & 400 gems
SabrinaB

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby - Alice - » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:31 am

Anpan wrote:

Well, then the whole point of it being discontinued would be pointless. They unpinned it because it's not continued anymore.

We still have the right to use it...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
hey everyone! I am slowly quitting chicken smoothie [something
I've been saying for the last 3years pff]
and am slowly trading
everything for art or ocs! your welcome to dm me for art or oc
sales but I also have forums linked to below with all info :3

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
- Alice -

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FireWolf52 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:33 am

thejokerkeepsmiling1 wrote:
Anpan wrote:

We still have the right to use it...

Of course you do! And that’s why it hasn’t been deleted or anything, so the people who want to still trade by the original list can do so

Going through a rough time right now, trying to stay active in trades but I might answer slowly, I apologize!

My Fayrian Kelpies
My Khimaira Friesians
My Cupido Drafts
My Ferox Welsh Ponies
My Yukon Drafts

"You could rattle the stars, you could do anything if only you dared."

Ravenclaw ~ Aries ~ Animal-Lover ~ Breyer Horses
FireWolf52

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Last Raven » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:05 am

I don't think something that is no longer universally accepted for pet values should be pinned as that gives it a more official and accepted look.
As others have mentioned, if you would like to still use this list you can either save the link, bookmark the topic, or if need be copy and paste the list into your trade thread as I have seen others do.
──-────────────────────
raven|she|adult
────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
███░█████████████████ █
──-────────────────────
hi! i’m a long time player
who loves to hoard chameleons
and anything else that tickles my fancy.
i am a huge nerd and love to cosplay!

────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
███░█████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──-───────────────
coding credit pascal
collection dream

ImageImageImage
───────────────-──
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
───────────────-──
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
───────────────-──
███░█████████████ █
The Last Raven

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:32 pm

This thread has never been pinned. (except for a very brief period a few years ago which we later found out was a brain fart from one of the mods lol)

Sorry for poofing, RL

Too much risk with a google doc and that's a weird choice anyway (I'm starting to feel weird about having this education that tells me what good design decisions are)

@kee; that thing you quoted is in the PAGE2-emptypost2 file ouo b

Okay so for the Gaps List I just typed up this. I was around when it was created and helped with some logistical stuff (was never a List trader so I couldn't help with actual gaps) and I remember the hesitance at least one of the active prominent names had about it. (Does "breakdown of the Rares List" ring a bell for anyone? That's what the Gaps List was referred to before people started working on it. Pretty sure this was popular demand for at least 2 years before work started on it. Search my posts for "rares list breakdown" and you'll find my posts while it was a WIP) Turns out their fears came true :'D

If I missed something let me know. Took @Zetirian's blurb as a base, thank you.

The Gaps List was created in 2013 due to popular demand. It was created originally to show how much each tier was worth and what the gaps were at the time, as it was difficult for many users to determine how different combinations of pets were valued against each other in trades. At first, this was a positive addition as it helped many users to gain a better understanding of the List.

However, this idea also had another problem, one that was foreseen by some of the users who helped to create the Gaps List despite their lingering hesitation. Due to listing pets with pretty precise values, the Gaps List created a orderly structure many users followed to the bone, visible even after the List was retired. It also made pet trading very unrealistic: Due to the rigidity of the Gaps List as well as the actual gaps that it listed (which increased exponentially), the pets on the Rares List ended up having astronomical and unrealistic values.

Another side effect of these unrealistic gaps is that as users went up the Rares List, pet values in terms of pets increased far more rapidly than in terms of C$, according to the C$ values accepted by the community for Rares List pets.

Many CS users who voted to retire the Rares List during the great vote in February 2019 stated in hundreds of posts from pages 450-600 that this was one of many concerns that made the list unable to be reconstructed.

(yes I see you groaning at the word "exponentially")

(but actually maybe the Gaps List was a blessing in disguise... a blessing a long time coming, but still.... without the Gaps List, users who weren't big names were able to do the math and find out "jesus christ what's with this exponential increase"; the Gap List was constructed based on agreed-upon gaps at the time, so if we had no Gaps List and the gaps continued to be like this without people actually writing them down... Welp)

Huh... A lot of CS users haven't known a time without the Gaps List, either. That's kinda scary

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Full BBCode for four different posts in this folder.

Page 1, post 1
Page 1, post 2
Page 2, first empty post
Page 2, second empty post

The posts can be overwritten with what's in the text files. No information is lost.

Gaps list quote where? Too much scrolling on the first two pages -passes out-
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:07 am

Unless there's something else we missed, once the four posts listed above are updated and the Gaps List quote is added, this thread can be locked.

I am not the owner of those particular posts, so I can't do it myself, else I would've done it already
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:35 am

Okay I've got a list of the stuff that should be done. All updates are just the stuff we discussed in the thread--although no one's commented on my Gaps List blurb yet since it's only been half a day lol

Let me know if there should be further changes. Hopefully not since we're coming up on two weeks now -sweats profusely-

This should make it clear what needs to be done.

nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me