Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

gardog's Q + A by gardog

Artist gardog [gallery]
Time spent 34 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
13 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

gardog's Q + A

Postby gardog » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:58 am

I went to the doctor's yesterday and I am now on new meds.

I am tired, weak, nauseous, and anxious... let's do a Q + A !! :D
(Don't worry, I'll be fine, lol)

Why did I draw this scene for this? I don't know; it's what I felt like drawing at the moment

So, ask me stuff! I shall answer in the comments, unless it's like a tutorial or something

Disclaimer: I am not good at answering questions and I am a self-taught artist, so any art-related questions may not be "correct", so to speak. I'll try my best!

Ask whatever you would like (as long as it's CS-appropriate) ^^

She/They | Adult | Christian
Aries | March 27

Bisexual | INTJ | Ravenclaw
Sings And Plays Guitar

Digital Artist
Oekaki Art Shop | Offsite Art Shop

Loves Pandas | Legally Blind
Has Social Anxiety | Has Anxiety In General

Timezone EST/EDT

gardog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: gardog's Q + A

Postby BlueEyedKite » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:19 am

What would be your tip if someone wants to give their art a little extra touch? What thing do you do that you may not do for all your art pieces. Something that says to you, you went the extra mile on that piece ._.
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gardog » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:40 am

BlueEyedKite wrote:What would be your tip if someone wants to give their art a little extra touch? What thing do you do that you may not do for all your art pieces. Something that says to you, you went the extra mile on that piece ._.

Well, let's take my follower check artwork for example ^^
There's a reason why it took 6+ hours (the timer is accurate, by the way). There's a sketch layer, a lining layer, a couple of different color layers, and a lot of shading and lighting layers.

Any piece where I give myself a light source that I then follow through with in the piece's entirety, especially when adding extra shading to the fur that gives it shape, automatically brings the piece to a whole new level for me.

Then, of course, there's the thing where I don't have pen sensitivity in Oekaki. All of those lines that come to a point? I have to go through and make those myself with the eraser tool. Just little things like that can really boost the quality of an artwork.

Finally, I will add plenty of color overlays and light additions on top of everything so that the subject doesn't just look like it's against a background. Adding green and orange and white can really make your (or mine, in this case) subject feel like it's not just standing in front of a backdrop; it is actually there in the setting of your background. You can do this whether the subject is shaded or not, just pop an overlay of the most used color on top and adjust the opacity until it doesn't like saturated, just improved.

Hope this helps ^^

Aries | March 27

Sings And Plays Guitar

Digital Artist

Timezone EST/EDT

gardog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .taxidermy. » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:12 pm

your favorite part of… the artistic process? lol, but anyway, my favorite part of art is coloring! i’m a bit curious about you. :3c

….Image Image

temporarily on break.

nicki or nick
ADHD, please be patient.
furry artist, primarily
prev. dolliguts

owner of faeries
art shoptoyhouse
.taxidermy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueEyedKite » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:27 pm

@gardog Thank you for the detailed response Q.Q this was just what I was hoping for <3 and I was thinking of your followe check art (it slays) when I asked, so I'm glad you touched on it. These were great tips and I thank you <3
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gardog » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:20 pm

dolliguts wrote:
your favorite part of… the artistic process? lol, but anyway, my favorite part of art is coloring! i’m a bit curious about you. :3c

My favorite part is lining and my least favorite part is coloring, lol. Perhaps we could collab one day ;)
BlueEyedKite wrote:@gardog Thank you for the detailed response Q.Q this was just what I was hoping for <3 and I was thinking of your followe check art (it slays) when I asked, so I'm glad you touched on it. These were great tips and I thank you <3

No problem ^^
(And thank you <3)

Aries | March 27

Sings And Plays Guitar

Digital Artist

Timezone EST/EDT

gardog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wildflower75 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:34 pm

What's your favorite color to shade with? I like a deep color which matches the character and I gradient it with either gold or red depending on the lighting (usually gold) ^^

Also the scene you drew is very pretty; i love the wires and posts fading out into the background and the entire atmosphere with the color is very pretty
ImageImageImage

Wild/Sya | Any pronouns | Self-taught digital artist
Very busy right now!!

Call me Wild! I'm awkward and anxious but pls believe me I'm nice

i like winter | night owl | pianist | Stick Season enthusiast

YouTube || Art Fight || Toyhouse

Friendos:
Doomy || Vai || Popcorn || Civ || Dogo
Wildflower75

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gardog » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:08 pm

Wildflower75 wrote:What's your favorite color to shade with? I like a deep color which matches the character and I gradient it with either gold or red depending on the lighting (usually gold) ^^

Also the scene you drew is very pretty; i love the wires and posts fading out into the background and the entire atmosphere with the color is very pretty

I don't really have a favorite shading color. There are a lot of artists on here that use a reddish-purple as a shading color and I used to shade with that, but nowadays I shade with either light grey or one of the character's mid-toned colors (set to multiply). Sometimes I'll add more shading layers, but I do most of my shading using lighting/highlighting. If I'm feeling extra fancy, I'll airbrush white/a light color over parts of the body where light would hit, set it to add, and then adjust the opacity until it looks like it was meant to be there... but sometimes it doesn't work with the character ^^' (I tried to do that in my follower check artwork, but it didn't work with Tiraphir's stripes and horns, so I deleted it).

And thank you <3

Aries | March 27

Sings And Plays Guitar

Digital Artist

Timezone EST/EDT

gardog

My pets