[HSR] Training by Birdy

Based on Click to view
Artist Birdy [gallery]
Time spent 27 minutes
Drawing sessions 3

[HSR] Training

Postby Birdy » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:01 pm

Welcome to Highland Staffy Rescue Training! As you know, it's incredibly important to have training of some type in your rescue's life. This helps to provide structure, establish a bond, build confidence, and set boundaries and expectations for both you and your rescue. In fact, when done correctly, training can be an exciting experience for both you and your dog!

At HSR, we occasionally get in a dog that needs a higher amount of training than your average dog. Highland Staffies, like any other dog breed, can present with several types of behaviors, from resource guarding all the way to separation anxiety. Once you've rescued a dog from HSR, you have committed yourself to providing the care that they need as an individual, which may include knowledge of how to manage and improve these types of behaviors. Because of this, some HSR adopts may require you to have taken certain training classes prior to adoption in order to ensure that you have the tools necessary to meet their needs.

Many of the courses required for adoption will be free of cost, though some of the advanced courses will require a small fee. However, once you have taken a course as an adopter, you will forever have that knowledge to apply to future rescues. Taking a course on puppy potty training, for example, will allow you to adopt any amount of puppies requiring that course, though you only need to take the course once.

You can find the available courses in the next few posts below this one!

To register for one of the training courses, you simply need to fill out the form below and post it to this thread. Once your registration has been accepted, you will be messaged and it will be logged in a document to keep track of which courses you have taken. At the point of your course being logged, you are considered to have completed the course. For a course that requires payment, you must send a trade to me (Birdy) including that payment, and include a link to your trade in your registration form. There is no limit to how many people may register for a course.
Please note: a user may only take one training course at a time, and there is a 48hr cooldown in between courses to allow you time to process all of your new knowledge! It may be wise to start training courses prior to needing them, as you are required to have already taken a course in order to apply to adopt a dog requiring that level of knowledge.
Some courses will require you to have taken a previous course in order to register, so be sure that you meet the qualifications before registration, and that you are going in the correct order!

Code: Select all
[b]I would like to register for a training course![/b]

[b]Username:[/b] (link to profile here!)
[b]Course Name:[/b] (please write the exact name of the course for accuracy)
[b]Proof of Registration Fee (if applicable):[/b] (link to payment here! ignore if this does not apply!)
[b]Have you taken any and all pre-required courses before this one? (if applicable):[/b] (ignore if this does not apply!)
[b]Link to your last course registration form:[/b] (remember: you must wait 48hrs between taking courses! ignore if this does not apply!)
Last edited by Birdy on Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
Birdy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Puppy Classes

The following courses are likely to be required in order to adopt a Highland Staffordshire puppy, though some may also be necessary for adults. These courses may appear simple on the surface, but rest assured that they are key to helping your puppy grow into a well-adjusted adult. Introducing training early on allows for easier communication between an owner and their pet, and it helps to prevent behavioral issues before they get the chance to develop.

One of the first steps in adopting a dog is helping them to learn where the appropriate place to go to the bathroom is. It may seem like an easy enough task, but in reality, this is something that can require a lot of effort and consistency, as well as numerous amounts of patience. HSR offers the following course(s) for potty training:

1. Potty Training 101 (free)
This serves as an introductory course into potty training and is sufficient for adopters seeking to rescue a puppy.

2. Potty Training 201 (free)
This serves as an intermediate course into potty training and is sufficient for adopters seeking to rescue an adult that has not yet been housetrained. You are not required to take any prior courses to this one.

Not to be confused with mouthing, teething is a natural behavior in puppies that serves as a physiological response to the pain experienced as puppies lose their puppy teeth and grow adult teeth. Most puppies will go through a teething phase before entering adulthood, oftentimes chewing on inappropriate objects to alleviate their pain. If not appropriately managed, however, this may develop into a longer-term issue, such as mouthing. HSR offers the following courses for teething:

1. Teething 101 (free)
This serves as an introductory course into teething and is sufficient for adopters seeking to rescue a puppy.

Contrary to popular belief, crate-training dogs can be a highly effective strategy in keeping them safe, boosting their confidence, and preventing unwanted behaviors. For most adopts, crate training will not be a requirement. However, particularly naughty or anxious puppies and adults may require crate training to ensure their needs are met and that they are being kept safe. HSR offers the following course(s) for crate training:

1. Crate Training 101 (free)
This serves as an introductory course inyo crate training and is sufficient for adopters seeking to rescue a puppy or adult with mild destructive behaviors, counter-surfing/garbage-raiding, and mild anxiety.

Crate Training 201 (free)
This serves as an intermediate course into crate training and is sufficient for adopters seeking to rescue a puppy or adult with moderate to severe destructive behaviors, escapist behaviors, and separation anxiety. You are not required to take any courses prior to this one.

Proper socialization of puppies is one of the most crucial steps to take as an owner. Allowing your rescue to become familiar and confident with the world around them can do wonders for boosting confidence and learning desirable versus undesirable behaviors. However, it is extra important to ensure that you are socializing your rescue in a safe and controlled way to ensure the best results. HSR offers the following course(s) for socialization:

1. Socialization 101 (free)
This serves as an introductory course into socialization that is sufficient for adopters seeking to rescue a puppy. This course is MANDATORY for all puppy adoptions due to its importance! You are not required to take any courses prior to this one.

2. Socialization 201 (free)
This serves as an intermediate course into socialization that is sufficient for adopters seeking to recue a puppy or adult with signs of mild to moderate fearful and/or reactive behaviors with people or other animals. You are required to take the course Socialization 101 prior to taking this course.

3. Socialization 301 (10c$)
This serves as an advanced course into socialization that is sufficient for adopters seeking to rescue a puppy or adult with severe fearful and/or reactive behaviors, as well as mild to severe redirection behaviors. You are required to take the courses Socialization 101 and Socialization 201 prior to taking this course.
Last edited by Birdy on Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birdy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: [HSR] Training [WIP- NO POSTING!]

The following classes offer support with basic to advanced obedience, ranging from 'sit' and 'stay', to more complex commands such as those required for service and working dogs. In addition to providing structure and boundaries for your rescue, obedience courses can also be used strategically to offer your dog enrichment, help curb undesirable behaviors, and manage more difficult behaviors such as reactivity and extreme fear levels. Different dogs may require different levels of obedience to meet their individual needs.

Basic obedience courses focus on simpler commands such as 'sit' and 'stay'. The primary goal is to establish the basis for training with your dog and help to build structure and a bond. HSR offers the following basic obedience courses:

1. Basic Obedience 101 (free)
This serves as an introductory course for basic obedience and is sufficient for adopters wanting to rescue a puppy or adult with little to no behavioral concerns. This course is mandatory for all adopted puppies and dogs! You are not required to take any courses prior to this one.

Basic Obedience 201 (free)
This serves as an intermediate course for basic obedience and is sufficient for adopters wanting to rescue a puppy or adult with mild behavioral concerns such as excessive jumping up, difficulties walking on leash, difficulties with recall, and general understimulation. You are required to take the course Obedience 101 prior to taking this course.

Intermediate obedience courses focus on more complex commands and specialized tricks such as 'rest/settle', 'peek-a-boo', 'crawl', and others. The primary goal is to provide additional enrichment for particularly understimulated dogs, as well as to expand a dog's knowledge and skillset in preparation for more complex courses such as service work. HSR offers the following course(s) for intermediate obedience:

1. Intermediate Obedience 101 (free)
This serves as an introductory course for intermediate obedience and is sufficient for adopters wanting to adopt a rescue puppy or adult that struggles with boredom and lack of stimulation. You are required to take the courses Basic Obedience 101 and Basic Obedience 201 prior to taking this course.

Courses in service work allow owners to take the next step with their rescue by entering the world of service and working dogs. There are many benefits to pursuing this path, such as providing resources to the community, adding additional enrichment to your dog's life, and building an even stronger bond with your pet. Service work courses will never be required for a dog, but are an optional step that you can take that can earn you points toward various goodies! For the time being, each dog may only take one service work course. HSR offers the following courses for service work:

1. Community Welfare Course (5c$)
This course helps train your rescue to be able to give comfort to those in need, such as in retirement homes, college campuses, and therapy groups. Taking this course will earn you 1 HSR point!

2. Guide Dog Course (10c$)
This course helps train your rescue to become a guide dog! Taking this course will earn you 3 HSR points!

3. Search and Rescue Course (20c$)
This course helps train your rescue to become a rescuer! Taking this course will earn you 5 HSR points!
Last edited by Birdy on Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birdy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Birdy » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:02 pm

The following courses offer support and management techniques for behaviors that extend beyond what is found in the average dog. While some of these behaviors may be fairly common, these courses attempt to tackle them before they become a larger issue. On the other hand, some of the more advanced courses have been created to help dogs that have already developed more severe issues.

Adult mouthing is a behavior that arises past the point of normal puppy teething. While the two may appear to be very similar, they tend to form for entirely different reasons. Teething is a physiological response to the pain associated with losing puppy teeth and growing adult teeth, whereas mouthing is typically the result of behavioral concerns, such as understimulation/overstimulation, frustration, anxiety, etc. While this is typically not an inherently aggressive behavior or one that is intended to cause harm, it can escalate and become overwhelming for owners. HSR offers the following courses for mouthing:

1. Mouthing Management 101 (free)
This serves as an introductory course for mouthing and is sufficient for adopters seeking to rescue an adult with mild mouthing behaviors. You are not required to take any courses prior to this one.

2. Mouthing Management 201 (free)
This serves as an intermediate course for mouthing and is sufficient for adopters seeking to rescue an adult with moderate mouthing behaviors. You are required to take the course Mouthing Management 101 prior to taking this course.

3. Mouthing Management 301 (10c$)
This serves as an advanced course for mouthing and is sufficient for adopters seeking to rescue an adult with severe mouthing behaviors. You are required to take the courses Mouthing Management 101 and Mouthing Management 201 prior to taking this course.

Adult housetraining refers to adult dogs that have not yet successfully tackled housetraining. For some, this may include either behavioral or medical causes. These courses attempt to provide support for ongoing housetraining as well as exploring alternative options such as potty pads. Additionally, these courses address and help manage marking behaviors. HSR offers the following courses for adult housetraining:

1. Adult Housetraining 101 (free)
This serves as an introductory course on adult housetraining and is sufficient for adopters wanting to rescue an adult dog with ongoing housetraining needs. You are not required to take any courses prior to this one.

2. Marking Management 101 (free)
This serves as an introductory course on marking behaviors and is sufficient for adopters wanting to rescue an adult dog displaying marking behaviors. You are not required to take any courses prior to this one.

Reactivity is used to describe behaviors that arise as a dog is reacting (i.e. barking, growling, lunging, etc.) to certain triggers. There are a wide variety of triggers that may cause these behaviors including other animals, strangers, and unfamiliar objects (cars, vacuums, etc.) These courses attempt to provide support in counter conditioning and desensitization to these triggers, as well as formulating strategies for management. HSR offers the following courses for reactivity:

1. Reactivity 101 (free)
This serves as an introductory course into reactivity and is sufficient for adopters wanting to rescue a puppy or adult that is displaying mild reactive behaviors. You are not required to take any courses prior to this one.

2. Reactivity 201 (free)
This serves as an intermediate course into reactivity and is sufficient for adopters wanting to rescue a puppy or adult that is displaying moderate reactive behaviors. You are required to take the course Reactivity 101 (free) prior to taking this course.

3. Reactivity 301 (10c$)
This serves as an advanced course into reactivity and is sufficient for adopters wanting to rescue a puppy or adult that is displaying severe reactive behaviors. You are required to take the courses Reactivity 101 and Reactivity 201 prior to taking this course.

There are several reasons why dogs may present symptoms of fear and anxiety. Things such as lack of socialization, poor environment, genetics, and prior experiences may all be potential causes. Fear and anxiety may also be generalized or more specific to certain triggers. HSR offers the following courses for fear and anxiety:

1. Generalized Anxiety 101 (free)
This serves as an introductory course into generalized anxiety and is sufficient for adopters wanting to rescue a puppy or adult that displays mild to moderate levels of generalized fear and anxiety. You are not required to take any courses prior to this one.

2. Generalized Anxiety 201 (free)
This serves as an intermediate course into generalized anxiety and is sufficient for adopters wanting to rescue a puppy or adult that displays severe levels of generalized fear and anxiety. You are required to take the course Generalized Anxiety 101 prior to taking this course.

3. Specific Fear and Anxiety 101 (free)
This serves as an introductory course into trigger-specific fear and anxiety and is sufficient for adopters wanting to rescue a puppy or adult that displays mild to severe levels of trigger-specific fear and anxiety. You are not required to take any courses prior to this one.

4. Separation Anxiety 101 (10c$)
This serves as an introductory course into separation anxiety and is sufficient for adopters wanting to rescue a puppy or adult with mild to severe levels of separation anxiety. You are not required to take any courses prior to this one.

Providing enrichment for your dogs is an important step in ensuring you are adequately meeting their physical and mental needs. Enrichment comes in a large variety of forms, with physical tasks such as going for a walk, agility, and general play to mental tasks such as training, puzzle feeders, and scent-work. Having insight into enrichment allows you to better understand your dog, strengthen your bond with them, and help curb undesirable behaviors that arise from unmet needs. HSR offers the following courses in enrichment:

1. Enrichment 101 (free)
This serves as an introductory course in enrichment and is sufficient for adopters wanting to rescue a puppy or adult that requires an unusually high level of enrichment. You are not required to take any courses prior to taking this one.
Last edited by Birdy on Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birdy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Every once in a while, HSR will encounter a Highland Staffy with behavioral needs that extend beyond the traditional courses offered. It may be that these behaviors are dog-specific, have been unsuccessful with prior courses, or are especially difficult to treat and manage. While rare, adopters may be required to take private courses before rescuing such dogs in order to ensure that they are prepared and have the support and knowledge they need.

(10c$)
Some dogs are successful with just one private session that explores their needs and formulates a plan for the owner to manage these needs on their own.

(15c$)
Some dogs require more than one private session but are manageable enough to allow for a greater length of time between each private session. Oftentimes, the need for these sessions fades away completely.

(20c$)
Some dogs require more frequent private sessions to allow for more support. Oftentimes, the need for these sessions can be reduced to monthly before fading away completely.
Last edited by Birdy on Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birdy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Reserved
Birdy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: [HSR] Training

Postby Spotify » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:27 pm

I would like to register for a training course!

Username: spotify
Course Name: Basic Obedience 101
Proof of Registration Fee (if applicable):
Have you taken any and all pre-required courses before this one? (if applicable):
Link to your last course registration form: (remember: you must wait 48hrs between taking courses! ignore if this does not apply!)
spotify#3065 on discord :)
Spotify

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: [HSR] Training

Postby Spotify » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:46 am

I would like to register for a training course!

Username: spotify
Course Name: Basic Obedience 201
Proof of Registration Fee (if applicable):
Have you taken any and all pre-required courses before this one? (if applicable): yes
Link to your last course registration form: here
spotify#3065 on discord :)
Spotify

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me