felidaemon - species concept by dogbrain

Based on Click to view
Artist dogbrain [gallery]
Time spent 9 hours, 6 minutes
Drawing sessions 12
One person likes this Log in to vote for this drawing

felidaemon - species concept

Postby dogbrain » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:32 pm

No longer an entry to the contest! I would still like to sell it in the future.

felidaemon.
felida. plural.
felid. singular.

What are felidaemon?
felidaemon are a species of cat-like dragon entity, often harbored as familiars, that can possess magical and/or elemental abilities. They are predominantly agender and possess both genetic recipes for the X- and Y-chromosomes; however this is limited to today's human knowledge.

What is felidaemon?
felidaemon is a quadrupedal monotreme (egg-laying mammal) of the *Abyssal Realm. Felida are extremely intelligent and capable of understanding the concept of language, society, and even business. This makes them a perfect day-to-day companion. However, whether or not they choose to follow orders or contribute to human society is not the case for every felid. They have their own lives, their quirks and personality, their dreams and ambitions, and of course their own self-awareness and identity. They are capable of living separate to humans, but cast no ill-will to those who ARE.

Felidaemon have many shared features with Earth's own feline, reptilian, and canine companions. Despite this, there are some unique differences among these traits. Like our finicky feline friends, felida have an abrasive (or comb-like) tongue to brush and maintain all that fur! No fur? No problem, they continue to use an abrasive tongue as a scouring pad to maintain a healthy look. One thing that felidaemon have in common with all three aforementioned species is the ability to eat and digest three types of eukaryotic cells; animals, plants, and fungi. This makes them opportunistic omnivores and if given a choice of diet, they are free to choose what they want to eat. Therefore, vegan, vegetarian, pescatarians, and carnivores all have a place to choose on their own. Every felid has their likes, dislikes, their loves and hates, when it comes to food. Every felid can retract their canine tooth in order to eat roughage or fungi easier, as well as "grow it" out in a matter of seconds to shred flesh and crush bone easier. As well as retractable fangs, felida can also retract their front claws. But ONLY their front claws. The back feet are often called "talons" even if they appear as regular paws; whether they look mammalian or not.

Lifespan
Every felid begins as an egg. When a pair are *compatible and succeed in courting with each other, they can decide to continue their bloodline by having their own eggs. These oblong eggs are about 6 inches (150 mm) long, 4 inches (101 mm) in width, and weigh about 2 lbs. (about 1 kg). Due to their awkward shape and size, felid eggs are extremely fragile and must not be handled unless absolutely necessary. It takes about 10 days for an egg to hatch, given it has been properly incubated during that time; if there is not sufficient incubation for more than 48 hours in the span of 4 and a half days after laying, it can lead to longer wait for hatching, improper development, and even loss of an eggling. After a successful hatching, an eggling emerges. An eggling starts as a slender eyeless, furless, slender noodle about 5 inches long, 3 inches wide, and weighing about 1 pound. Egglings will eat the now soft and gelatinous shell they emerged from and will be ready to nurse from their parent. Like most monotremes, felida excrete nutrients through glands under their skin like sweat. During this time, the other parent takes on the role of hunting and gathering food for the milkgiver so they can continue to produce the substance. If food is scarce, or there is no other parent, the milkgiver will consume their own milk until food is available. However due to how vulnerable a nursing parent can be, as pheromones' tend to waft away into hungry noses, it is very risky to not only leave egglings but also to hunt while still nursing. This unfortunately happens, as is the laws of nature as we know it, but fortunately it is rare as most felida are family-orientated and therefore many egglings will thrive and benefit from exceptional care. The entire stage of an eggling is infant to child; about 5 years. During this time they grow a great amount and at a rapid pace, as long as ample nutrition is provided. Around 4 years old, most felida wean themselves from their milkgiver, but some may return or continue to nurse until age 7. The milkgiver does not wean their offspring, and so will still provide milk up until their offspring becomes a teen at 13 years old. It is rare that an offspring will continue to nurse past the age of 7, but not impossible. This may be due to a lack of nutrients early in life, late hatching, or some other complication (being the runt for example). The teen developmental stage lasts until the age of 25 years old, but felida, much like humans, become an adult at 18 years old. Whether or not this is human influence or vice versa is unknown as some 18 year-old felida will still consider themselves an eggling or teen. After developing an adult body and mind, some felida will venture out of their family domains in search of their own and possibly find a mate in the process. However, some may also return with or without a mate and simply live with their family and their neighboring communities. By doing this, they will help raise other offspring, gather and hunt, learn new things, teach, and even have the chance to become a familiar to someone.

Summoning vs Breeding
"Summoners" are beings, often people (but other felida are able to "conjure" another), that bring forth a felidaemon from the Abyssal Realm. Familiars that are summoned are often adults, but abandoned eggs, egglings, and teens can also be summoned under rare circumstances.

Felidaemon are unaligned beings; much like other daemon, but they still have the sense of right and wrong. Rarely are their predominantly evil felidaemon, but there will be some who have a more pessimistic view of things. Pessimism is a relatively new view to the felida, but it is unknown if it goes by another word in the Abyssal Realm or it is in fact a new feeling entirely. The process of becoming a familiar is more complicated than one might think; surely the felidaemon have worked with the humans long enough that they can simply submit an application as it is their job, right? No. Felidaemon and humans may have an unrecorded contract of being allies, but it takes a ritual of summoning for each being to find their familiar.

"Breeders" are authorized beings who wish to breed their felida together. Not just everyone can breed their felida. One must study the species in order to understand their mannerisms, behaviors, and whether or not the selected creatures are compatible with one another. Felida do not often pick partners based on their appearance alone; their personality, mental and physical health, and of course their age is most concerning to them. However, even an expert breeder does not contain the knowledge of what truly makes felida compatible and there will be times where eggs are just not created. Fret not, as further attempts are not discouraged but it's advised to allow the creatures to spend more time together. After all, they can decide well enough on their own.

Dreams and Ambitions
While it is unknown what life is like within the Abyssal Realm, it is well apparent that every felidaemon possesses some dream or ambition. Whether it is to become an artist, a mage, or even just an egg and eggling caretaker in a Felid Nursery, there's always a desire to do more. Humans believe every creature is born with a dream or ambition, but that is not the case. Felidaemon are a blank slate when they come to life, much like everything else in the universe. Some felida do not have a dream or ambition until they are at least 100 years old; they may have developed skills beyond this dream, and perhaps completed many things already, but that just fuels their drive even more. Some humans accredit the "orbs" that felidaemon produce when they are doing something they enjoy. These orbs are pure energy, but not much else is known about them except how and when they appear; and are edible. They smell and taste sweet, but unlike anything known to humans. These are a great addition to the felida who aspire to become chefs or patisseries.

*This can be expanded upon further, in future.
*How to check if two (or more) felida are compatible? Personalities (ex. an evil and good is less likely than a benelovent and good) must align (possibly something could potentially bypass this!), both felida are sexually mature (about 10-12 years old), and fertile (year-around, but some times are better than others; example might be February?)

personal note: to future owner, I am more than willing to provide free designs (as a guest artist, or under any given title!) and other art services you may need! This includes stamps, items, themed and seasonal decor. this offer is valid forever (or as long as CS is online).
Last edited by dogbrain on Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:57 am, edited 17 times in total.
Wolfie ♡ | she/they | infp+t
dogbrain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: entry - wip

Postby Birdy » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:06 am

Ooh these seem really intriguing so far! I'm excited to see the end product! c:

Last bumped by dogbrain on Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:06 am.
Birdy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me